Traumeel

Masamune

Jedi Council Member
Traumeel is a homeopathic pain reliever that I have been using for awhile and it has been very effective in reducing my pain and inflammation. I had a chiari decompression surgery on the back of my skull about a year and a half ago and I have been using traumeel since then to help with the pain. I do not like taking normal NSAIDs because they irritate my stomach and can cause damage to one's body. I have found that traumeel is a good alternative without side effects.
Here is the website: traumeel.com

http://www.nutritiondynamics.com/featured_product/ said:
TRAUMEEL® is an anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-edematous, anti-exudative combination formulation of 12 botanical and 2 mineral substances. TRAUMEEL® is officially classified as a homeopathic combination remedy. It is indicated for the temporary relief of symptoms associated with inflammatory, exudative, and degenerative processes due to acute trauma (such as contusions, lacerations, fractures, sprains, post-operative wounds, etc.), repetitive or overuse injuries (such as tendinitis, bursitis, epicondylitis, etc.), and for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains associated with such conditions. TRAUMEEL® is also indicated for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains associated with backache, muscular aches, and the minor pain from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis.

As with many pharmaceuticals including the conventional NSAIDs, the exact mechanism of action of TRAUMEEL® is not fully understood. However, it appears to be the result of modulation of the release of oxygen radicals from activated neutrophils, and inhibition of the release of inflammatory mediators (possibly interleukin 1 from activated macrophages) and neuropeptides.

Due in part to its lack of side effects, TRAUMEEL® is not a conventional NSAID. However, despite its status as a nonconventional pharmaceutical, the clinical effectiveness of TRAUMEEL® is supported by scientific research and over 30 years of worldwide usage. For example, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of TRAUMEEL® Ointment for the treatment of ankle sprains by Zell, et al, was published in Biological Therapy. The patients treated with TRAUMEEL® were pain free and had a greater range of motion sooner than the control group. Furthermore, the methodological quality of the Zell study in Biological Therapy was verified in a meta-analysis by Kleijnen,et al, in the peer-reviewed scientific publication, the British Medical Journal. Of 107 homeopathic studies reviewed by Kleijnen, et al, the Zell study of TRAUMEEL® ranked within the top 5% for methodological quality. More recently, the September issue of The Lancet published a meta-analysis of homeopathic studies in which three different controlled studies demonstrated the effectiveness of Traumeel® over placebo.

TRAUMEEL® can be used to treat elderly arthritic patients who cannot tolerate the GI side effects associated with the conventional NSAIDs or for patients on anticoagulant medication. TRAUMEEL® is available as a topical ointment, as oral tablets, oral drops, oral liquid in vials, and as an injectable (prescription only).

Hi Masamune,

I looked up the ingredients in the remedy, and it contains mercury:

Active Ingredients: Each 50 g contains: Calendula officinalis 1X 0.75 g, Hamamelis virginiana 1X 0.75 g, Arnica montana, radix 3X 0.75 g, Aconitum napellus 3X 0.5 g, Belladonna 3X 0.5 g, Bellis perennis 1X 0.25 g, Chamomilla 1X 0.25 g, Echinacea 1X 0.25 g, Echinacea purpurea 1X 0.25 g, Millefolium 1X 0.15 g, Hepar sulphuris calcareum 8X 0.125 g, Mercurius solubilis 8X 0.06 g, Symphytum officinale 4X 0.05 g, Hypericum perforatum 6X 0.045 g, Contains Ethanol 10% by volume
Inactive Ingredients: Cetylstearyl alcohol, Ethanol USP, Paraffin, Purified water, White petrolatum

I'm not familiar with homeopathic remedies, so this may be over cautious on my part, but I would hesitate to put anything with mercury on my skin. :shock:

Hiya Gimpy,

First thing I notice is you listed the ingredients of the ointment, which is very close to the oral homeopathic, except that it uses petrolium as a carrier (not a big fan of that.) If one were looking for a topical analgesic, a better option would be Topricin. _http://www.topricin.com/ingredients (plus it works better than Traumeel).

However, I believe Masamune was referring to the oral preparation (which Topricin does not make) and I can assure you it is quite safe and highly effective. You can make a homeopathic remedy out of ANY substance including poisons, working with the law of similars. So the symptoms that would be caused by mercury toxicity can be ameliorated by taking it in a homeopathic form. So for instance, If I had symptoms such as slurred speech, bone pain, nebulous pains that seemed to ghost around the body, caused by mercury poisoning (yes, I've been through this), then taking Mercurius Solubilus (they are always listed in Latin), would help those syptoms. (not a cure. It will not bind the heavy metals and pull them from the body in this case)

In the ingredients you listed, the Mercurius S. has a potency listed as 8x ('x' in Latin = 10). This means that they started with the pure substance and diluted it 9 to 1. They take this dilution and succuss it; which means to shake it back and forth at a specified rate for a specified amount of time. This imprints the original substance on the carrier. So you now have a substance that 1 of the 10 parts is Mercury. They then take this dilution and dilute it again at 9 to 1, and again they succuss it. In an 8x, they do this process 8 times, such that there is actually very little of the original substance in the mix at the end of the process, but the process of succussion creates an energetic imprint. (When you see a homeopathic that says 8c, it has been diluted 99 to 1, 8 times.) The lower the number of dilutions, the more appropriate it is for an acute condition; the more on the surface or the more recent the onset of the symptoms and the more often it will be taken .... as needed. The higher the dilution rate, the deeper it goes, the more chronic the condition and the less often it will be taken.

In professional homeopathy, they take in to account not only the physical symptoms but the emotional and constitutional, as well. By constitutional, I mean one's propensity toward being fearful, easily startles, tends toward complaining, or maybe the opposite; has a bright and sunny disposition etc etc. But over the counter homeopathy is really about taking care of symptoms. So if I get stung by a bee, I might take Apis Mellifica, which is made from the honeybee stinger. Or if I had a symptom of swelling in a confined area, redness, piercing pain ... I might also take Apis. It is all based on symptom.

Sepia Officianalis, the inky juice of the cuttlefish, which if I remember correctly is supposed to be pretty poisonous and would certainly cause nausea if you ingested it in it's original form, is often used by pregnant women for the nausea of "morning" sickness. Pretty darn safe!

See the following link for more info on Mercurius S.
From a materia medica:

_http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/m/merc.htm

MERCURIUS SOLUBILIS
Quicksilver
(MERCURIUS - HYDRARGYRUM)

Every organ and tissue of the body is more or less affected by this powerful drug; it transforms healthy cells into decrepit, inflamed and necrotic wrecks, decomposes the blood, producing a profound anæmia. This malignant medicinal force is converted into useful life saving and life preserving service if employed homeopathically, guided by its clear cut symptoms.

In addition, it is important to note that most oral homeopathics have some rules associated with taking them for best results.

Weather in liquid or tablet or pellet, they are placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve into the mucous membranes. With that in mind, you want your mucous membranes to be clean, so you do not eat or drink anything for about 15 minutes before and after (if possible). There are also several substances that will cause it not to work, or not to work well if you have them within 2 hours on either side of taking it. Mint (any kind of mint), coffee and chocolate (not the caffien .. it is a constituent found in them that interferes) and these are the most common offenders. Chamomile, cinnimon, rosemary and tea tree can also sometimes be unhelpful. So... If I just had a cup of coffee, I would rinse my mouth with water and wait as long as possible before taking a homeopathic, at least an hour. If I tried to take a homeopathic right after brushing my teeth with a minty toothpaste, it's really not going to work well, if at all.

Also, how you store homeopathics makes a difference. They are somewhat fragile due to the way in which they are potentiated. You wouldn't want to keep them near any electrical source or EM field or radiation. In other words, don't throw them in your purse right next to your cell-phone, or set it on the counter right next to your humming refrigerator, or allow it to go through x-ray at the airport. That kind of thing.

Hope this helps in your understanding :)
~Lar

Hi Lauranimal,

Lauranimal said:
I believe Masamune was referring to the oral preparation
Yes I was referring to the oral preparation. I have only taken the liquid and tablet forms of traumeel. I have never tried the ointment and I will take your recommendations into consideration. I stopped taking the tablet form because it contains lactose, I now take the oral drops.

Lauranimal said:
There are also several substances that will cause it not to work, or not to work well if you have them within 2 hours on either side of taking it. Mint (any kind of mint), coffee and chocolate (not the caffien .. it is a constituent found in them that interferes) and these are the most common offenders.
I have never heard this warning before. I don't drink coffee or eat chocolate but I do use mint toothpaste and many times use traumeel afterwards. What exactly is it about mint and these other substances that cause homeopathics not to work?

Masamune said:
I have never heard this warning before. I don't drink coffee or eat chocolate but I do use mint toothpaste and many times use traumeel afterwards. What exactly is it about mint and these other substances that cause homeopathics not to work?

Just fyi, there are many natural toothpastes specifically made without mints of any kind, and for sale in health food stores, for this particular reason. Tom's of Maine is probably the most well known brand, but there are several out there. Usually, they even have the word 'homeopathic' in the title of the product to indicate that they don't contain any ingredients that interfere with homeopathic treatment (link mint).

Quote from Masamune:
Quote from: Lauranimal
There are also several substances that will cause it not to work, or not to work well if you have them within 2 hours on either side of taking it. Mint (any kind of mint), coffee and chocolate (not the caffien .. it is a constituent found in them that interferes) and these are the most common offenders.

Good question!
_http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=446
Healing with Homeopathy
Antidotes that Interfere with Homeopathic Treatment

© 1996 Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman N.D., M.S.W.

Certain substances or influences may interfere with homeopathic treatment, even when the correct remedy has been given. This phenomenon is known as antidoting. We usually think of antidoting in terms of stopping the effect of a poison. The antidote to an acid, for example, is bicarbonate of soda. No one knows exactly why these substances interrupt the curative effect of homeopathic medicines, but the phenomena has been observed over and over again by homeopaths around the world. The vital force, which is responsible for all healing, appears to be detrimentally affected by these substances. When antidoting occurs, symptoms which have been healed by homeopathy will return. Sometimes the interference is total, causing a sudden, complete relapse. At other times, the relapse is partial or temporary. Some of these substances, especially coffee and electric blankets, have been found, totally apart from homeopathy, to have harmful effects on health. Others, such as camphor and peppermint oil, are innocuous or beneficial, but apparently disturb the homeopathic healing process in some way. For any given antidoting factor, about 60% of patients may be affected by a given exposure. Sometimes it takes a number of exposures before a relapse occurs. In other cases, one sip of coffee, for example, is enough to interfere with process of homeopathic treatment.

There is some controversy among homeopaths about whether antidoting actually occurs, or merely indicates that the wrong remedy has been given. We discussed this issue recently with Roger Morrison, considered by many to be the foremost homeopath in North America. He drew the same conclusions that we present in this article. Although not every patient is susceptible to all the common antidoting influences, we believe that avoidance of these substances during homeopathic treatment is wise in order to prevent lost treatment time and suffering of the patient. {...}

When using strengths up to 30c, the 2 hour rule is generally helpful. When working with a professional homeopath who will often prescribe a constitutional remedy at a high dilution rate such as 200C or 1M, they will often require that you avoid such things at all times. Others say, don't worry about it. Experience says ... it is a valid concern. You may find that following this rule will consistently give you a greater degree of relief when you dose on the Traumeel.

As Anart mentioned, there are many mint-free toothpastes available, but also look out for mint gum, tea & mouthwashes.

I am glad you found something that helps with your pain. ;)

Hi Lauranimal,

Thank you for the info on homeopathic remedies. Its an area I've not dug into much. :-[

Masamune? Have you tried spraying magnesium oil on the skin for pain? I'm using it for my sprains (ankle and knee), and it does help. The only problem I have so far is it makes me itch once it dries. Spraying about an hour before showering keeps that from happening.

anart said:
Just fyi, there are many natural toothpastes specifically made without mints of any kind, and for sale in health food stores, for this particular reason. Tom's of Maine is probably the most well known brand, but there are several out there. Usually, they even have the word 'homeopathic' in the title of the product to indicate that they don't contain any ingredients that interfere with homeopathic treatment (link mint).
I checked out Whole Foods for toothpastes and they didn't have a great selection. Most had mint in them and I only found two that did not have any. One was the Tom's fennel flavored one. The two both had carageean in them though. Can someone recommend a toothpaste that they use that is homeopathy-safe?

Does the warning about mint also apply to flower essences?

Gimpy said:
Have you tried spraying magnesium oil on the skin for pain?
No I have not heard of doing this. What spray do you use? How effective is it?

Masamune said:
Gimpy said:
Have you tried spraying magnesium oil on the skin for pain?

I've used a liquid concentrate called 'purely magnesium' - containing nothing but magnesium from sea concentrate to spread on my skin in any area I'm having a muscle cramp (usually my leg muscles or feet). It works wonders - within minutes the cramping ceases completely. It also works really well with strained/sore muscles - just apply it topically on the affected area. Do not apply it over scratches or cuts - it feels like liquid fire. But, for muscle cramps/pain - it's really fantastic, in my experience. Gimpy might have used it more extensively, though.

I make a spray using a liquid magnesium product and distilled water in a small spray bottle. The liquid is from Carlson Research and called: FCC Grade Magnesium Solution 133mg.

Here is the product description:
Product Description: FCC Grade Magnesium Solution contains inorganic and organic salts of magnesium in deionized water. This blend minimizes the risk of gastro-intestinal tract upset which may occur following ingestion of pure inorganic salts of magnesium. FCC-Grade signifies that the highest laboratory standards of purity have been met for this product to insure maximal tolerance and absorption.

Suggested Use: This product should be diluted prior to use. Take one teaspoon diluted in 8 ounces of your favorite beverage two to six times daily, or as directed by a physician. Three level teaspoons (15 cc) provide 400 mg of elemental magnesium.

An 8oz bottle costs about 12 (11.47) dollars US, and can be found here: www.needs.com

To make the solution to spray on skin, I'm not scientific about it: fill the spray bottle a third full with the magnesium, and top it off with distilled water.

To use it, I just spray it evenly over the area that either hurts or is spasming. For arthritic pain, and some of the muscle cramping from injury it works wonders!

There is an exception, and that seems to be spasticity caused by nerve disease. Initially when spraying my legs with the solution, I had immediate spasms. Over time and repetition it lessened, but its never gone away completely. I don't know if continual detoxing with sauna and other methods will reduce this in time or not, but I'm willing to keep at it and see what happens. :D

The only adverse reaction I've had is itchy burning on any rash spots on arms and legs. I've never used the solution full strength for this reason, I'm covered in rashes too often. Now I spray my legs an hour or two before showering, that's as long as I can stand. ;)

There are other magnesium products available, and even a few that come ready in a spray bottle. Needs has one offered by Magnesium Direct called DermaMag. It retails for 29.00 US (for 8oz spray bottle) on their main site, but Needs sells it for 23.00 US.

Why do I stick to Carlson? Because its cheap. :)

If you want to check out DermaMag, here is the main site selling it: www.magnesiumdirect.com
The site also offers more options and methods for using magnesium salts and liquids for treating a variety of conditions.

It is endorsed as very good by Dr. Sherry Rogers. If you search on her in this section you'll find a lot of references to her work.

I do hope you can give it a try, and it helps get rid of your pain.

I checked out Whole Foods for toothpastes and they didn't have a great selection. Most had mint in them and I only found two that did not have any. One was the Tom's fennel flavored one. The two both had carageean in them though. Can someone recommend a toothpaste that they use that is homeopathy-safe?

Carrageenan, is a seaweed extract. This particular type of seaweed is common in the Atlantic Ocean near Britain, Continental Europe and North America. You boil the seaweed to extract the carrageenan. In that sense, carrageenan is completely "natural" -- it's not much different from tomato paste in its creation. Are you allergic to it? I do not know why it would otherwise be a problem. {???}

Unfortunately, the Boiron Homeodent toothpaste has parabens in it. So I'm not gonna recommend that. There is also an anise and a cherry flavor by Nature's Gate, flouride free, but it has SLS, which is not so bad if you are not swallowing it. The Tom's anise, flouride free sls free sounds like your best bet. Might take some getting used to, but really, you only need to use it when you are taking homeopathics.

Does the warning about mint also apply to flower essences?
From what I understand, it does not apply. Why it does not apply? Wow... beats me! may have something to do with a lesser dilution rate. The less diluted the preparation, the less the rule seems to apply. (TOtally guessing here.)

Also, if you do a little research on the web, looking for a toothpaste ... find a few options and ask the Whole Foods if they will special order it for you. If they have access to it direct or through a distributor, they will get it for you and won't charge you extra for it, nor for shipping, nor will you pay ahead.

Quite curious about your carrageenan thing ???
~Lar

Lauranimal said:
Quite curious about your carrageenan thing ???
~Lar

He may be referring to this Carrageenan linked to tumors. Almond milk drinkers take note. It's also frequently a hidden source of MSG.

see http://www.nutrition4health.org/nohanews/NNSp00_MSG.htm:

These ALWAYS contain MSG:

Glutamate, Monosodium glutamate, Monopotassium glutamate, Glutamic acid, Calcium caseinate, Gelatin, Textured protein, Hydrolyzed protein (any protein that is hydrolyzed), Yeast extract, Yeast food, Autolyzed yeast, Yeast nutrient

These OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing:

Flavor(s) & Flavoring(s), Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s), Natural pork flavoring, Bouillon, Natural beef flavoring, Stock, Natural chicken flavoring, Broth, Malt flavoring, Barley malt, Malt extract, Seasonings (the word "seasonings"), Carrageenan, Soy sauce, Soy sauce extract, Soy protein, Soy protein concentrate, Soy protein isolate, Pectin, Maltodextrin, Whey protein, Whey protein isolate, Whey protein concentrate, anything Protein fortified, Protease, Protease enzymes, anything Enzyme modified, Enzymes, anything Ultra-pasteurized, anything Fermented

chachachick said:
He may be referring to this Carrageenan linked to tumors. Almond milk drinkers take note. It's also frequently a hidden source of MSG.
Yes that is what I was thinking of. Would this ingredient be harmful in toothpaste?

Masamune said:
Yes that is what I was thinking of. Would this ingredient be harmful in toothpaste?

I am not an expert but i would say yes because your body is going to assimilate it in a sublingual way.

From wiki:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_administration

When a chemical comes in contact with the mucous membrane beneath the tongue, or buccal mucosa, it diffuses through it. Because the connective tissue beneath the epithelium contains a profusion of capillaries, the substance then diffuses into them and enters the venous circulation. In contrast, substances absorbed in the intestines are subject to "first pass metabolism" in the liver before entering the general circulation.

Sublingual administration has certain advantages over oral administration. Being more direct, it is often faster, and it ensures that the substance will risk degradation only by salivary enzymes before entering the bloodstream, whereas orally administered drugs must survive passage through the hostile environment of the gastrointestinal tract, which risks degrading them, either by stomach acid or bile, or by the many enzymes therein, such as monoamine oxidase (MAO). Furthermore, after absorption from the gastrointestinal tract, such drugs must pass to the liver, where they may be extensively altered; this is known as the first pass effect of drug metabolism. Due to the digestive activity of the stomach and intestines and the solubility of the GI tract, the oral route is unsuitable for certain substances, such as salvinorin A.

Back
Top Bottom