Translation tool - Crow translate

dredger

The Living Force
I found a free translator application which is nice.
The translation is not offline, which means that the application does not come with its dictionnaries, but it uses some translation engine available on the net (strangely there's not deepl, or not yet)

Here's the page of the project :

It runs on Windows and Unix (many different distributions)
Here are the direct links to the Windows versions :
- One version is compressed with 7zip, more for an experienced user - at this link
- And one classical installer, .exe file to execute for installing it - at this link

What I like is that once installed and running, you can select any text anywhere, push the key combination for translation and it'll proceed.
Example, i just did this for the previous sentence, with default traduction set to french, here's what it gave :
1659574159201.png

Just note that by default, the shortcut key to activate this is "ctrl+alt+e" (or alt gr+e), which is the shortcut for the € sigle. I modified it to "ctrl+alt+t" (t = translation) and it works well.
Note also that the combination of "ctrl+alt" is equal to pushing the key "alt gr" (the one on the right of the space bar), i'll user "ALTGR+X" for next examples.

With google you can also have the voice synthesis and hear the text in both panels (probably for a limited number of languages), just push one of the 2 "Play" button at the bottom, ensure to have Google selected. Visibly Yandex also propose this but it seems not to work well and does not work for french.

But even better : you can select any text somewhere, just tested on a last french article on sott.fr, then "ALTGR+S" and it started to read the text. And if for instance i select a portion of text in english and push "ALTGR+F", it'll start to speak the translated text to your default language ! I just tried by going on the Italian version of SOTT, select 2 paragraphs then ALTGR+F and it started to speak, in french, the translation of the 2 selected paragraphs ! :wow:

There's also an OCR, but i did not test it (for those who do not know what this means, OCR is characters recognition from a picture/image, the possibility to recognize some text from a picture)

If you change some shortcuts, ensure to click on the validate button once you set the new shortcut combination.
In order :
- go in option menu, the small button bottom-right then go in Shortcuts section
- select the shortcut to modify
- at the bottom, click on the 2nd button (2) to clear it
- enter the new key combination
- then click on 1st button (1) to validate it

1659575781104.png

Sometimes, the application is like freezing or is slow, but it's because it waits for the answer from the translation server.
It would be perfect if it could also allow to add local dictionnaries which would allow to be usable without internet, maybe it's planned in the future releases, but i'm quibbling, this is a really nice tool, and it's free. Well done to the one who developped it, I verified, there are 23 on this open project, but almost 99% was developped by one single guy named Shatur, bravo to him ! :thup:

Last edited:
Ah, that sounds like a very cool application, thanks for sharing.

I won't be testing it as I don't have a windows (or linux) machine, but if anyone else does, It would be interesting to see what others' experience of it is.

Ah, that sounds like a very cool application, thanks for sharing.

I won't be testing it as I don't have a windows (or linux) machine, but if anyone else does, It would be interesting to see what others' experience of it is.

I've been using it for a week or so now on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and i'm happy with it so far; the translation is good; there were no bug issues for me; it's lightweight and easy to install; it has probably all the languages the average user needs (and more) ; it's easier and more user friendly than having to switch back and forth between DeepL screens in the browser; i haven't noticed a limit on characters like DeepL.

It looks like there are other things that you can do on it, but i've solely used it to translate text from webpages.

So, all in all, for a non-professional like myself, who uses it for translating languages into English, i'd recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom