The World's Fair

A thought popped into my mind lately.

Perhaps the Fairs were a sort of "honey trap" for the public. The PTB's idea, prospect and urge wanting to get the dominating rural population, to move en masse to cities /create large cities. For better control and degradation in the distant future. People on the country side always been more independent... perhaps too independent - yet also harsh at times.

The fairs, especially in the first 50-60 years, where made so grandiose - and i am sure, they were fascinating for many people who visited them. Luring people to think life in cities is easier, has more fashion, larger spectrum of attractive jobs, well - enticing people with all the whistle and bells that would create an idea of modern cities. Promises ! Show-off's. Planting ideas and "products" in peoples minds.

Not unlike the plans of today, in order to get people into "smart cities" and "15 minute cites", by creating mouth watering prospects of super fancy, stylish homes and green and comfortable, easy and safe lifestyles (á lá Brave New World).

Only that the real idea behind it all - seem to be controlled, sealed ghettoes.
Hey XPan,

Here you described what I put in "nefarious element no. 1", which I called: Domestication.

I was born in the village. My father and grandfather were private craftsmen (yes, there was such a thing in the former Yugoslavia), my mother worked in a factory, my grandmother was a housewife, my brother and I were schoolchildren.

We had and cultivated some land, extensively, enough for our own needs, so we were self-sufficient in terms of food. Since we did not intensively engage in agriculture, we did not have a lot of mechanization (because it would not be profitable), in some moments, (such as collecting fruits) we were all engaged in agriculture.
The father protested the most (he had his own deadlines and obligations), and he often grumbled: "We are servants, not masters. Animals have organized this well, they have; apartment, food, service... They just make noise; muuu, beee and we're already running and all for free."
I once told him: "What do you mean free?
Well, they pay for it all; with their freedom, children (I'm including eggs here), some during their lifetime with hard work for your needs (a horse, for example), and finally with their lives."

In the light of world fairs:

Yesterday: No more physical work, no more physical strain and pain. We will work for you!
Today: No more mental work, no more mental strain and pain. We will think for you!
Tomorrow: No more emotional labor, no more emotional stress and pain. We will feel for you!
You will pay us for this with; your freedom, your children, with your hard work for our needs, and finally with your life = immortality = soul.

A question that would be good to answer: How domesticated am I?

why don't you highlight some buildings in your area that you think may have a suspicious history?
Ok, I'll start with the Adelaide central train station. (Adelaide was founded in 1836)
1685190067850.png
Apart from cosmetic upkeep it has looked like this since 1972. The space to the left of the steps would later be 'opened' to the tunnel.

But underneath in a couple of directions there are tunnels. All below street level. Quite a feat.
1685190128022.png
The passageway is believed to have been used as an access tunnel for those working at Parliament Houseup until the 1970s when the Festival Plaza was developed.
That does not look like an easy or necessary job for the times, IMO.

Citizens were actually led to believe that they were under current construction,at the time, but were actually merely being repurposed among other tunnels that the majority are oblivious to. (The Oban underground bus tunnels were already there. Just needed cleaning up and outfitting for the purpose. My family were involved in their ‘construction’). Today, no one cares to know. They just want their pay for bread and circuses.
1685190357013.png
There is no picture of construction or the original build of 1856 but we get this b/w photo as the second story done deal with red brick, quoins, some dressed stone and arched portico. (The b/w below is actually the right side of the above photo. The back is just 'vanilla' skies.)
1685190747474.png
So I keep looking.
Some decent records must exist. Maybe from:

Heritage of the City of Adelaide:

ADELAIDE RAILWAY STATION

North Terrace
"The interesting thing about the Adelaide Railway Station is that it was built with neither Parliamentary approval nor correct appropriation of the money - it also cost three times the estimates, and because all the dockets have been 'lost' no one has ever been able to find out who had authorised its construction."
I guess missing money is something we have been conditioned to accept and dare not push for answers.

The grand Adelaide Railway Station was an architectural triumph for Herbert Jackman and his brother Sydney.
Adelaide Railway Station is a monument to the dynamic era (1922-30) for South Australian Railways under the American William Alfred Webb but also a high point for the architecture of Herbert Jackman and what is now Australia’s oldest architecture firm: JPE Design Studio.

Kapunda-born Jackman had eight younger siblings including Sydney who also became an architect, working as the chief draughtsman in the Government Architect’s Office in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Educated at Caterer’s School at Glenelg and then Norwood, Jackman was articled to Adelaide architect Daniel Garlick of Daniel Garlick and Son in 1885.
Financial trouble and bad harvests in South Australia caused Jackman to move to the new town of Broken Hill where he had ample work. In 1891 Garlick’s son, Arthur, joined him as a partner before they returned to Adelaide where they formed the partnership of Garlick, Jackman and Garlick.

Jackman in 1899 took sole control of Garlick and Jackman that, interrupted only by his World War I service, has continued as English, Soward and Jackman or Garlick and Jackman and Gooden, continues in the 21st Century as JPE Design Studio.

Adelaide Railway Station, designed in 1925 with extensive output from his brother Sydney and based on New York’s Grand Central Terminal, was one of Jackman significant Adelaide buildings.

Others included the Tattersall’s Hotel, Hindley Street (1900), rebuilding of the Stag Hotel, Rundle Street (1902), Bowman’s Building, King William Street (1908), Charles Moore’s
1685190923453.png 1685190953335.png
department store ( been there myself: a stunning, palatial building until they replaced it with the Hilton),
Victoria Square (1913), and Hooper’s Furnishing Arcade, Hindley Street (1927-1930).

Who built the Adelaide railway station?
I couldn’t say for sure.
Not even certain of the dates. Varies from 1856 to 1922-30 to 1925. Depends on who has access to what records.

An architectural competition held in 1924 saw 19 designs submitted for the Adelaide Railway Station, with Daniel Garlick and Herbert Jackman awarded the winning design.

Looking further into our interesting history with vague records.
When was Adelaide Cathedral built?
Work began on the cathedral in 1869, with the first piece finished and opened in 1877.
The plans for the cathedral were originally drawn up by William Butterfield, a British architect, who was asked to step up to the challenge by Augustus Short.

The See of Adelaide was constituted in June 1847. As there was no cathedral, Trinity Church on North Terrace was denoted as the pro -tempore Cathedral Church. Augustus Short, first Bishop of Adelaide, held the first ordinations there on St Peter’s Day in 1848. When Adelaide was surveyed by Colonel William Light, over a decade before, land in Victoria Square had been set aside for public use. Bishop Short obtained a land grant in the square from the Governor, Major-General Frederick Robe CB, in March 1848. By late 1849 a subscription was bringing in funds for construction of a cathedral on the now cleared site. Around this time the legality of the land grant began to be publicly questioned. It was argued that the area was a public reserve and the Governor had no power to issue such grants. To resolve matters Bishop Short, supported by the Synod, took the matter to the Supreme court. The judgment in June 1855 confirmed that the grant was invalid and construction could not proceed.

Bishop Short purchased just over an acre of land at the corner of King William Road and Pennington Terrace North Adelaide on 8 August 1862. He reported in 1868 that the funds gathered were sufficient and announced to the Diocesan Synod his decision to begin construction of a cathedral. Building began in 1869 an it was consecrated as St Peter’s Cathedral on 1 January 1878

The Cathedral was built in sections as money became available. Some well-known Adelaide people, including Robert Barr Smith, Sir Thomas Elder, Sir John Bonython, Mortlock and Pope were very generous in their contribution to the building of the remaining sections of the Cathedral. In the late 20th century, Mrs Colleen Beinl and Santos have been very generous benefactors to the Cathedral. (The who's who of the elite and bankers, etc.)

The two stone heads on the top of the pillars which mark the ending of the first section that was completed are of Bishop Short, the first Dean of Adelaide and possibly the architect and builder of the first section of the Cathedral.
1685192120444.png1685192136516.png

Work began on the cathedral in 1869, with the first piece finished and opened in 1877.There are no construction photos and this b/w one has no date for the image.
Adelaide City Hall today.
1685192281743.png
Adelaide Town Hall was designed by Edmund Wright and E. J. Woods, with construction by Charles Farr (Farr emigrated to South Australia from Britain aboard D'Auvergnearriving in March 1839.Farr, by trade a bricklayer, had premises on Hindley Street, and by 1850 owned a business on Franklin Street, a timber yard possibly purchased from Philip Santo.[1]By 1868 he employed up to 115 men and his sawmill and timber yard, which employed around 35 men) commencing in 1863 and completed in 1866.
Edmund William Wright (4 April 1824 – 5 August 1888) was a London-born Australian architect, engineer and businessman who was Mayor of Adelaide in 1859. Aged 34!

Edward John Woods (1839 – 5 January 1916) was a prominent architect in the early days of South Australia.

Woods was born in London and educated at several private schools, then, deciding to become an architect, served his articles for three years with Charles James Richardson. He subsequently spent two years in the office of T. E. Knightly. At the recommendation of Dr. William Browne, he set out for South Australia, arriving at Port Adelaide in the Blackwall, in 1860. Aged 21! So he finished his private schooling at 15?

After a brief stint, for which he had no liking, on Dr. Browne's cattle station at Mount Gambier, he found employment as a draughtsman in the office of E. W. Wright, who later, as Wright & Woods, took him on as partner, and continued there for four years.

He was involvedin designing the Adelaide Town Hall.
1685192406407.png
City hall looks pretty aged already. No date given for photo.

Built in 1866, the Adelaide Town Hall’s external façade was made using local South Australian materials including Tea Tree Gully (20km from site) freestone and Dry Creek bluestone. The internal building features some of Adelaide’s finest examples of Victorian architecture. It is these qualities that make it such a unique and iconic location in Adelaide.

Colonel William Light was sent from England to South Australia in 1835to select and survey a suitable site for the new settlement. He chose the banks of the River Torrens and named it after Queen Adelaide. The free colony of South Australia was founded in 1836.

In 1840 the initial Annual Report noted a population of 8,480, with 1,615buildings in the city.
By 1850 Adelaide had a population of over 14,000.
By 1858 it was 118,000 ! While the failure of the Commercial Bank of South Australia in February 1886 was an indication South Australia was headed for another bumpy ride and by the early 1890s, the state, like the rest of Australia, was affected by a severe economic depression.
And of course, the impressive Adelaide Jubilee International Exhibition Building of 1887.
Population in 1900, approximately 162,000.
Adelaide Australia, c.1900-1910 city centre King William St

Does any of this history logically add up in terms of population, education or capacity in any way, shape or form to be a truthful history? 'Gold-rushes' all over the place, depression, diseases, wars, yet the colonists are able to achieve all this from scratch. Even if the whole population consisted of grown, able bodied men to quarry ( 20 km away), carry and build the material, horse carts, felling timber, etc, I don’t see how it could be done, not to mention various supplies and suppliers needed. IDK.

The similarities of the stories all over the world is interesting. Massive population increases, economic calamity, fires, architectural contests, gold rushes.

Historic societies just change words and presentation and repeat pretty much the same information.

I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting and why. I was suggesting you dig deeper than what you quoted. Such pages are mere summaries of other texts. Call up the University and ask around to see who, if anyone, might know what books there are about the history of the school, buildings, and so forth. Those summaries came from somewhere so find out where they came from and see what other details are there but don't get shared around.

Good. Now that we've established that you agree some truth can be arrived at through textual analysis, can you admit that if there is a conspiracy afoot to change history that there should be identifiable traces in texts of some form or fashion somewhere that would confirm that what made it into the official history is not what actually happened?

Be my guest.

I suggested that for you to help you in finding the truth of the matter for yourself. I have no interest in the history of Manitoba or its capital. Not at the present anyways.

As for personal accounts on witnessing these events, eehm, they are nearly all dead. No one to question really.

Witnesses could be bought and paid for just like a writer. Why trust living people but not dead ones?

Seems more telling that what you we should be able to hang a hat on is missing.

Did you mean, "Seems more telling that what you think we should be able to hang a hat on is missing"?

It's only missing because you haven't gone looking yet.

Combine the photos with a little critical thinking:
"From a Hudson's Bay Company trading post (Fort Garry) in 1870, with a population of 215, Winnipeg proper has grown to the size of a first-class city of 663,617 people (2011 Census). When the city was incorporated in 1873 there were 1,869 inhabitants."
So THESE people, which would have to include women and children, built ALL this from scratch. The shanties, yeah, but the presentation of only 10 years late, not so much, IMO.

Who is saying it was just those 1,869 people and all of it was done from scratch? Also, what does from scratch mean to you, exactly?

Absence of evidence is not evidence that a crime has been committed.

I think you meant to write, "Absence of evidence is not evidence that a crime hasn't been committed." Seeing as I wrote that there was a lack of evidence and you were suggesting there is something fishy going on.

What I was trying to understand is how did you come to suspect that any buildings at all are falsely attributed?

If enough circumstantial evidence is introduced to create doubt, and I think there is plenty of that, then the burden of proof falls back on those who have perpetrated the deceit for their gain.

I remain within the realm of reasonable doubt and think the burden of proof still lies with you. Maybe go back to some of my previous posts and respond to the questions contained therein.

Their word is no longer enough.

Whose word is no longer enough? Local historians? Wikipedia? Bankers?

Just to point out that what we are conditioned to see is not necessarily what we are seeing in reality.

I see a tree growing out of a man's head. Totally normal, natural, and not at all out of the ordinary. :halo:

Does any of this history logically add up in terms of population, education or capacity in any way, shape or form to be a truthful history? 'Gold-rushes' all over the place, depression, diseases, wars, yet the colonists are able to achieve all this from scratch. Even if the whole population consisted of grown, able bodied men to quarry ( 20 km away), carry and build the material, horse carts, felling timber, etc, I don’t see how it could be done, not to mention various supplies and suppliers needed. IDK.
Maybe you could find and contact experts in construction or construction history to collect more information on how these buildings were built and how they got their materials. But I would do so without any bias so that you stay as objective as possible. There are probably some books available on the topic too. If you lack information and knowledge, things can easily seem a mystery.

I stumbled across a book by an architect/author about 20 years ago: Claude Fayette Bragdon, 1866 – 1946. who is reputed to have built the new Rochester NY train station. That was interesting. But more interesting, he referred to certain buildings as "frozen fountains," or "frozen music," which intrigued me and I have never forgotten it. It left me wondering if the "construction" of such buildings was done in a manner we don't understand today. He also apparently translated PD Ouspensky's Tertium Organum, wrote about the fourth dimension, and I remember his illustrating the natural application of the golden ratio in both older and new art, so he was multi-faceted in his understanding of the phemonenal world. While my comment adds no value to the thread per se, when I look at some of these buildings, the image of frozen cascading water comes to mind, and I remembered him.

Here's something on a bit of a different track...... A podcast I sometimes listen to about obscure corners of computer history recently did a couple episodes about 'The Mundaneum', which I'd never heard of before. It caught my ear in the context of this thread. It's not about the World's Fair as such, though the creators of the Mundaneum apparently had strong ties to the World's Fair, exhibiting there in Brussels and also being involved in documenting several of the Fairs in the late 1800s - early 1900s... But.. Well I don't have any concrete ideas, but I *feel* like there's something curious here. I've felt this for a long time when reading about some of these early computing / information scientists etc.. Can't really put my finger on WHAT, exactly.. it's just a vibe...

Part 1:
Part 2:

(keep in mind, this is a podcast by an enthusiastic computer programming nerd, it's not esoteric (in the way we mean it) or conspiracyish at all :))

Wikipedia says:
The Mundaneum was an institution which aimed to gather together all the world's knowledge and classify it according to a system called the Universal Decimal Classification. It was developed at the turn of the 20th century by Belgian lawyers Paul Otlet and Henri La Fontaine. The Mundaneum has been identified as a milestone in the history of data collection and management, and (somewhat more tenuously) as a precursor to the Internet.

Basically, this Belgian lawyer Paul Otlet was into information science, and wanted to (and did begin to) build a database - on card files - linking ALL human knowledge in a non-linear way.. To this end, he expanded the Dewey Decimal System into his Universal Decimal Classification, as a way of indexing and collating every document ever, based on its specific contents... this database was stored in a central location and people could use it to search for documents. e.g., cross reference the subjects "art", "Cornwall" and "religion" and the database would give you all books containing information about Cornish religious art...

otlet6.jpg

The system defines not only detailed subject classifications, but also an algebraic notation for referring to the intersection of several subjects; for example, the notation "31:[622+669](485)" refers to the statistics of mining and metallurgy in Sweden. The UDC is an example of an analytico-synthetic classification, i.e., it permits the linking of one concept to another. Although some have described it as faceted, it is not, though there are some faceted elements in it. A truly faceted classification consists solely of simple concepts; there are many compound concepts listed in the UDC. It is still used by many libraries and bibliographic services outside the English-speaking world, and in some non-traditional contexts such as the BBC Archives.

from a 1994 article, Visions of Xanadu - I don't even know which bits to quote, it's pretty dense - here's a bit of the introduction:

The development of Hypertext/hypermedia systems has generated great interest in the last decade. The descriptions of what hypertext can do and what its implications are or will be for learning, science, information retrieval, creative writing and so on have frequently been extravagant to say the least. Most of those who discuss Hypertext/hypermedia systems see the new functionality in information communication and retrieval that these systems involve as originating conceptually in Vannevar Bush's post World War II vision of an information storage and retrieval machine that he called "memex." This paper suggests that much of this functionality was anticipated by a Belgian lawyer, bibliographer and internationalist, Paul Otlet (1868-1944), and that his ideas and the systems to which they gave rise constitute an important chapter in the history of hypertext and in the history of information science more generally.

Vannevar Bush, the C's once said, was involved in the cover-up of UFO activity in America (Session 21 January 1995) .. also he started the company which eventually became Raytheon.

So, we have a lineage of people, beginning with someone somehow involved with the World's Fair, whose activities centre around collecting, classifying and then serving documentation on all sorts of knowledge, by means of numerical and mechanical systems... one of them later involved in HIDING information about UFOs....

And, from The Birth of the Information Age: How Paul Otlet’s Vision for Cataloging and Connecting Humanity Shaped Our World

Paul Otlet … seems to connect a series of major turning points in the history of the early twentieth-century information age, synthesizing and incorporating their ideas along with his own, and ultimately coming tantalizingly close to building a fully integrated global information network.

[…]

Otlet embraced the new internationalism and emerged as one of its most prominent apostles in Europe in the early twentieth century. In his work we can see many of these trends intersecting — the rise of industrial technologies, the problem of managing humanity’s growing intellectual output, and the birth of a new internationalism. To sustain it Otlet tried to assemble a great catalog of the world’s published information, create an encyclopedic atlas of human knowledge, build a network of federated museums and other cultural institutions, and establish a World City that would serve as the headquarters for a new world government. For Otlet these were not disconnected activities but part of a larger vision of worldwide harmony. In his later years he started to describe the Mundaneum in transcendental terms, envisioning his global knowledge network as something akin to a universal consciousness and as a gateway to collective enlightenment.

When the Nazi inspectors responsible for the censorship effort eventually got to Otlet’s collection, they weren’t quite sure what to make of it. One report summed up their contemptuous bafflement:
"The institute and its goals cannot be clearly defined. It is some sort of … ‘museum for the whole world,’ displayed through the most embarrassing and cheap and primitive methods… The library is cobbled together and contains, besides a lot of waste, some things we can use. The card catalog might prove rather useful."

Dunno how meaningful any of this is for this thread really, but I find it an interesting line of thought..

To this end, he expanded the Dewey Decimal System into his Universal Decimal Classification, as a way of indexing and collating every document ever, based on its specific contents... this database was stored in a central location and people could use it to search for documents. e.g., cross reference the subjects "art", "Cornwall" and "religion" and the database would give you all books containing information about Cornish religious art...
Sounds like a good way to begin controlling information in many fields.
So, we have a lineage of people, beginning with someone somehow involved with the World's Fair, whose activities centre around collecting, classifying and then serving documentation on all sorts of knowledge, by means of numerical and mechanical systems... one of them later involved in HIDING information about UFOs....
That's been my thought for a long time.

Maybe you could find and contact experts in construction or construction history to collect more information on how these buildings were built and how they got their materials.
I think I have mentioned that my husband and I were (he still is) in the construction business, for many years. We have modern tools. I'm aware how long construction takes today with all the modern tech, transport, qualified labour, licences, etc, and that's building the glorified boxes we build today.
As far as I know power tools were not available until the very late 1800's. These works of art are an enormous task. Not really doable in the said time frame.
As far as books, history books, vague historical documents and so forth, pretty much just repeat the same thing and change the words around.
Architects say they couldn't say offhand because these things are not built any more. It's too much work, too old-fashioned, time consuming and only minor or moderate work of restoration would be done as it would be very expensive. Usually only the government contracts these kind of jobs to maintain the old buildings and at some point prefers to demolish them for financial gain.
That is about the short of it.

Maybe you could find and contact experts in construction or construction history to collect more information on how these buildings were built and how they got their materials. But I would do so without any bias so that you stay as objective as possible. There are probably some books available on the topic too. If you lack information and knowledge, things can easily seem a mystery.
This popped up on my YT today. Possibly related to my searches but, whatever.
It is an interview with an architect who is apparently doing his own research into these topics. It is lengthy but interesting. Runs for 1h50min with time stamps.

This sculpture (Disinganno -- The Release from Deception -- by Francesco Queirolo) was posted on the 'Beautiful Art' thread. Says one website: "The Cappella Sansevero, a chapel in the historic center of Naples, Italy ...... Everywhere you look, you are confronted by marble statues of astonishing beauty, a bevy of masterpieces from 18th century Italian artists that have left visitors scratching their heads in wonder for hundreds of years. How can such intricate works possibly have been carved from marble slabs?"

marble-sculpture-net-francesco-queirolo-release-from-deception.jpg

When thinking about this question, I came across a short video: "A look at the makings of statues, and whether they truly were carved from single blocks of marble or are there other techniques involved?" (I would suggest stopping the video at 4:30 where photos of "modern" "art" begin; they are gruesome and enough to give one nightmares.)
I find the proposal that sculptures might be "pieced together" rather than carved from one piece of marble rather disconcerting -- for some reason, I like believing our "predecessors" could do unbelievable things. It is kind of like thinking a new "leader" can "save" us. Nonetheless, method does not undermine the elegance and message of the finished sculpture.

This will be very long topic as they are LOT of nuts and bolts observations, spanned across the globe, compiled into few videos with pictures. context of each could be different, but looks related from our modern day vantage point. The crux of our modern day thinking (feeling sensational when observations doesn't fall under theories) falls under few categories.
  • We are more educated, scientifically advanced than before, so nothing surprising should be found.
  • Vast lands like Australia, North America sitting empty for 1000's of years with tree's and "barbaric" "Indians" occupied it, lived some non-sensical living. Heck, we can't keep one inch of land idle without some growth of plant or some thing.
  • Colonial thinking of any meaningful technical expertise has to come from West, nowhere else.
It is an interview with an architect who is apparently doing his own research into these topics. It is lengthy but interesting. Runs for 1h50min with time stamps.
Probably you want to write summary of these long video's. That will help for others to digest better and more connecting of the dots , share information and probably able to ask precise questions to C's.

Often saying "Victors rewrote history" is not going to be sufficient for few reasons. "Victors" came for a reason (often economical reason) and won't spend too much time in destroying and recreating every thing, instead they spin what is already exist to justify their "booty" , add their own "masala" and propagate it to the future as the only existing truth. If there are "victims", they would have complained about it, the same narrators would have modified accordingly. But that tends to be can of worms unless one create "clean slate" of the past. Narrowing down to specific question, specific location etc. makes it easy to track down.

Back
Top Bottom