The Odyssey - Manual of Secret Teachings?

Re: The Odyssey - question for all!

I have read it a couple of times, it used to be one of my favourite books along with the Iliad, I still have a hard copy with both works.

grrrr just lost my post

anyway yes have read it ,loved it,read it several times as a kid ,not sure about school,I think it was assumed we all knew it.
my late grandfather was a high school headmaster who taught classical greek,latin and hebrew and propably quoted from it

would love to read it again looking for hyperdimentional clues

Started reading last night after your post Laura. Its already a great read and lifts of the page easily. I am reading this version http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/odyssey.mb.txt

I've never read it. But I'm going to start right now.

I've never read it. But I'm looking forward to this group reading exercise!

English is not my native language, so I will probably settle with the translation of Butler. He translated into easily accessible prose language. Luckily, the audio book that was shared before is also a Butler translation. Here is an overview of the best known translations of Odyssey together with reading examples:

http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/translations/Odyssey.html

Edit: Changed "Butcher" to "Butler"

Nope, I haven`t read it. Just saved a copy to favorites though, and will start reading it now.

I never read it. will listen to it from learnoutloud.com.

Slow Motion Mary said:
Would everyone be interested in reading "The Odyssey" and keeping in mind "ring composition"? This year's first quarter issue of "Parabola" digest*, which I picked up to read about "suffering" and it had an interesting article on ring composition: "The earliest extant writing, works such as the Avesta of Zoroaster, the books of the Hebrew Bible, the Vedas in India, and Homer's narratives in Greece, were all written in a non-linear synoptic style. In ring or annular composition, each chapter, or each segment of the story, has a non-local relation that does not follow in linear sequence. Rather than being in linear order, the segments are related in a circle and each piece relates, not to the one before or after it, but rather to the one across the circle from it."

This is exactly what I had planned to discuss today when I mentioned that I would quote a bit from Louden about the structure.

Slow Motion Mary said:
I thought this style of writing might illuminate why the Old Testament is so difficult to read so I am working on an outline of "Genesis" which I wanted to share with everybody. I picked "Genesis" instead of Homer's work because it is more familiar to me. I am not done with it yet, but when I'm done I'll post the outline and go from there, if there is interest.

Louden has actually done a comparison of Greek and ancient Near Eastern Literature. But, considering the work of Gmirkin, the only "structure" that will be found in the OT will be due to accident because nearly all of it is stolen from the literary works of others, often polemic, and definitely with a political agenda.

Slow Motion Mary said:
*Parabola is a quarterly digest that focuses on themes common to different spiritual traditions. You'll find Christianity, Judaism, Sufism, Buddhism, etc., as well as book reviews.

I don't have much truck with Parabola - there's politics behind them.

I just found this analysis about ring composition in the Odyssey: "The Three Circuits of the Suitors: A Ring Composition in Odyssey 17-22", by Steve Reece.

_http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/articles/10i/13_reece.pdf

Haven't read it, but I will now! Interesting... :)

Not read it either, but have always been drawn to the (cheesy) film adaptations.
Having said that I watched one of the films recently and was struck quite strongly by the hyperdimensional aspect of it! The whole thing was full of high strangeness.

I read Iliad many years ago but not Odysseus. I will look for it at the library today.

Back
Top Bottom