The Odyssey - Manual of Secret Teachings?

Re: The Odyssey - question for all!

Approaching Infinity said:
Heheh, yeah, if that's the case, I REALLY wasn't ready for it in high school! ;D

You know, that makes me think of the standard High School curriculum and how they include certain books that normally one would think of as damaging to TPTB. I'm thinking mainly of Orwell's 1984 and how it's almost a rite of passage for high schoolers to read that book. But maybe The Odyssey, if approached from the angle Laura mentioned, could be considered in a similar way.

It also reminds me of how G said that by presenting concepts of the Work to somebody who wasn't seeking it would turn that person off from ever wanting to take part in the Work.

It makes me wonder if reading certain books at an age when we're not ready to 'digest' them keeps us from looking deeper into the whole mess we're in on the BBM. It's that thinking: "Well, I've already read that, nothing to see here!"

Although you said that you read the book on your own, so I guess my argument doesn't apply in your case :P

Just some thoughts...

I found the Odyssee in my library; it is a Greek (original text) and German edition, TUSCULUM Verlag.
Probably from my school years; we had 7 years of classical Greek.

Perhaps we could distribute certain chapters for members to read and scrutinize, this would ease the
workload of individuals?

No, Some teachings in high school of the Greek empire, and mythology. While in the 60's, it was "Jason And The Argonaut's" and Hercules, movies splashing the big screen. Much less educational, and to much sensationalism.

Odyssey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey

Attachments

• FileBeginning Odyssey.png
    FileBeginning Odyssey.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 95

Read it when I was perhaps 10 or 11 years old.....long time ago. Looks like it's back on the menu for me too. :)

Never read it. Here in Brazil, we have teen novels and dead Brazilian literature about someone that desire someone, or about how indians are beautiful and now they are all gone in our school years reading menu.

I'll transcribe some text from this first book I read to give ya'll an idea of what the structure of the Odyssey is. It's kind of nifty. Knowing something about what you are reading really deepens the enjoyment and perception. So in the morning...

How is it possible that there are over 50 replies to this thread already? Silly question. :)

It's on my Kindle.

Haven't read it just ordered a copy looking forward to reading it.

I haven't either. I did read the Illiad back in high school, without the proper background. Had to read it several times to understand a little, but now this thread reminded me I want to read both. Thanks! =)

I was browsing the free books on amazon kindle the other day and I downloaded a copy! It wasn't on my "next to read" list but it is now!!!
So much to read!

Back
Top Bottom