The cock, divine symbol?

There is always a border (boundary, boundary stone) that the cock is associated with (the herald), not the 'before' or the 'after'.

So the cock is associated with the before and the after by announcing to 'the before' of the coming arrival of 'the after', whatever that may be, if that makes sense. Therefore, I think, the rooster/cock is a messenger... of 'good' or 'bad', it doesn't matter which.

Many in the cities go to bed at night with curtains drawn to shut off lights, and wake up when the alarm sounds. There are few environmental signals to tell us that it is morning. But go to villages and you wake up to the crowing of the cock.
Why they crow in the morning at day break has been the study of some bird scientists. While several theories had been debated, the actual answer is that it is due to the body clock (or circadian rhythm) of the rooster.

When I was younger we had a neighbor named Jim Wicks who lived on a nearby farm but did work for us occasionally. Jim was part Indian (Native American) and lived alone except for several hound dogs in a tenement house on a nearby farm. My father would take me to go see him at Christmas and take him a pint of Whiskey for a present. One time we went and Jim said "I appreciate the gift but you know its not Christmas don't you?"

He said "the way you can tell its Christmas is to watch his flock of Guinea fowl that roosted on a tree limb in the yard. You go out each night about midnight with a flashlight and watch the birds. When they stand up on the limb, turn around and settle back facing the other way, you know its Christmas."

About two days after I had the dream I posted above, a real-life situation made me stop and think about how I was treating this thread and in general.

I was on my way back home from a walk and met a guy I knew in the back alley behind his house. He was having trouble starting a vehicle that was parked in his back yard. I had not talked with him in a while so I went over and commented on the stubbornness of the engine inside the odd looking machine. It became the topic of our conversation and after “getting the tour” I really had a good look at the wheels. All of a sudden it struck me how similar they looked to the ones in my dream! He also described what the machine could do. All 8 tires are powered, and chain-linked in pairs; because the weight is distributed so evenly over those tires, it doesn’t get stuck in mud or swamp but rather 'floats' on top of it; has a very small engine (23HP) and a small gas tank (27L) but can still travel for 8 hrs at max speed; not very fast (31 km/h) but very high torque; can be driven from land straight into water and used as a boat (5 km/h). The name also made me take notice. It’s called an Argo. (Home | Argo XTV)

Argo_Frontier700-8x8_Hero (sml).jpg

I stopped posting and returned to reading one of Laura's books that I had started. But I was 'encouraged' every moment of every day by a constant feeling of 'brightness' and the powerful urge to continue looking into the rooster. No matter what I did, it did not go away. And so a few days later, after finishing the book, I did just that. I have not been on here since, due to embarrassment of previous posts and because I can get sidetracked fairly easily. I made quite a mess of this thread with little to show for it. I hope the following posts will be a bit more interesting since I now see I was quite a ways off.

Probably a lot of this info is 'old hat' to many on here. I wrote it in a chronological fashion which has it's obvious problems but doing it that way helped me to understand roughly when this stuff took place. This is not an exhaustive list and there is probably a lot that didn't need to be there but I added it anyway mostly for my own, and still limited, understanding.

Lastly, I find it a bit interesting that my last post in this thread was May 24. Exactly 5 months ago.

Chronology of the Rooster: Worksheet

c. 28,000 BCE

GERMANY

From the famous Hohle Fels cave near Ulm in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, come some of the oldest artifacts ever found on earth dating back 35,000-40,000 years ago. Along with ancient animal remains, tools from the Aurignacian culture, a flute made from a griffon vulture bone, possibly the earliest bird carved from mammoth ivory, the ‘Lion-man of Hohle Fels’ and the ‘Venus of Hohle Fels’, the oldest known female figurine of the type known as ‘Venus figures’, comes an extremely rare representation of male sexuality. The 20 x 3 cm siltstone phallus is ‘unmistakable’ and may have been used as a ‘sex-aid’ as well as for ‘knapping flint’ to start fires. The phallus was found broken into 14 pieces and reassembled in 2005 (though it appears to me that a piece is still missing). I find this to be quite funny since in the Egyptian religion, Osiris’s body was cut into 14 pieces and scattered all over Egypt by Set. His wife Isis retrieved them all except for his penis which was swallowed by a fish. She then made him a wooden replacement.

This page quotes Finley Hooper from his book ‘Greek Realities’ saying, “Wherever the new people settled, phallic figures rivalled the established fertility goddesses" (p. 39-40), and it appeared to be a pretty violent takeover.

(BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Ancient phallus unearthed in cave)
(Hohle Fels, Germany.)
(Hohle Fels - Wikipedia)

c. 8000 BCE

CHINA

So far, the earliest known design of a ‘phoenix’ comes out of Hongjiang, Hunan Province from 7000-8000 years ago (5000-6000 BCE), evidenced from the Gaomio Archeological site (Hu, Jiaxiang, “Study on Chinese traditional theory of artistic style” (2019)). This ancient design became known as the Fenghuang bird from East and Southeast Asian (Sinospheric) mythology, and was originally divided into male (feng) and female (huang) aspects and associated with the yin/yang symbol. During the Qin dynasty (221-206 BCE), the Fenghuang became progressively feminine (with both aspects finally merging during the Yuan dynasty (1271-1368)) and associated with Empresses. Subsequently the dragon, representing the masculine, became associated with Emperors, although the phoenix/dragon design can be dated to the Yangshao culture of c. 5000- c. 3000 BCE from evidence obtained at an archaeological site near Xi’an in Shaanxi Province (ibid). Jiaxiang says the phoenix and dragon designs are a form of Chinese totemism and that the Fenghuang may have been a good-luck totem. It is also known as the ‘Autumn Rooster’ since it sometimes replaces the rooster on the Chinese zodiac, though I believe this is a much more recent replacement. Fenghaung was commonly depicted attacking snakes with its talons with wings spread and is associated with the sun.

"The phoenix represented power sent from the heavens to the Empress. If a phoenix was used to decorate a house it symbolized that loyalty and honesty were in the people that lived there. Or alternatively, a phoenix only stays when the ruler is without darkness and corruption (政治清明)”

c. 6000 BCE

A project to map the chicken genome was completed in 2004. In a 2020 study, it was found that every single domesticated chicken on the planet shares 71-79% of their DNA with the Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) of Southeast and South Asia. An article from the Zinman Institute in Israel published in 2015 gives the theoretical outline of the migration of the chicken:

Chicken Migration (resize).jpg

“We define three main phases in the cultural history of chicken use, based on archaeological, historical, and iconographic evidence (Fig. 1). The early phase (Fig. 1, phase A) may have already begun around the sixth millennium B.C.E. when the chicken was initially domesticated during several independent domestication events in Southeast Asia and China. On the Indian subcontinent, which also constitutes a part of the natural dispersal range of the jungle fowl, chicken remains were recorded at a few second millennium B.C.E. sites, and it is commonly assumed that domestication occurred there independently.”

c. 5000 BCE

CHINA

Current earliest discovery of chicken bones have been found at Chishan, Hebei province, Beixin, Shandong province (c. 5000 BCE) and Xian, Shaanxi province (4300 BCE). There have been suggestions and evidence since the 1970’s that there were multiple origins of chicken domestication rather than monophyletic (single origin). Indigenous fowl in other areas may have been bred first and later mixed with the Red Junglefowl due to numerous mountain ranges and rivers acting as migration barriers in China. (Link)

c. 4000 BCE

PONTIC-CASPIAN STEPPE

Tumuli are “mounds of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves” that appeared during the Neolithic era (c. 3000 BCE- c. 9000 BCE) and are found all over the world. Some can be very, very large, while many cover just one body. Current gravesites are a version of this.

The tumuli found in Central Asia, Europe and Russia are called ‘kurgans’ and the earliest ones found are dated from the Eneolithic period (c. 3000- c. 5000 BCE). ‘Kurgan’ apparently means ‘fortress, embankment, high grave’. Ocher was used during funeral practices.

Accompanying these kurgans are stones known as ‘kurgan stelae’, and are found standing on top of, around, and leading up to kurgans, many with anthropomorphized images carved into them. The oldest known are dated around c. 4000 BCE from the Yamnaya culture of the Caucasus with a focus on the Kemi Oba culture (which overlaps with the Catacomb culture (Catacomb culture - Wikipedia)) of the Crimean area. Some could be the representation of the person who is buried there, a god, a protective ward and are the ancient versions of today's headstones. These types of stelae are associated with death and the underground and are a type of boundary stone.

There are many other types of stone (or wood) stelae with images and text chiselled into them (eg: the sacred Huwasi stones of Hittite culture). They were erected as monuments, royal or government decrees, markers for borders and property lines, road markers, directions or wards. For instance, the famous ‘Code of Hammurabi’ is a basalt stele from c. 1750 BCE housed in the Louvre. Carved at the top, it shows the king Hammurabi (c. 1750- c. 1810 BCE) standing in worship receiving the laws from Shamash (Babylonian sun god and god of justice, aka: Utu) who wears the horned head-dress symbolizing divine power, wearing a ring and holding a staff in his right hand, both representing sovereignty and dominion. It then lists 282 laws by which Babylonians were ordered to conduct their lives in both public and private, with blessings to those who followed and 281 lines of curses to those who didn’t or tried to modify the stone.

Another example is a ‘kudurru’ which is a type of document that was used as a boundary stone. This one in the British Museum, was made in Babylon c. 1100- c. 1600 BCE.

The inscription is a ‘contract’ gifting land to Adad-zer-ikisha by Marduk-nadin-ahhe for services rendered during a campaign against Assyria. It then goes on to say if anyone claims the ‘contract’ was not valid or ‘sealed’ or ‘measured’, or if the dimensions of the land changes, or presents the land to a god, or appropriates the land for themselves, or if the stone is altered in any way, etc., etc…, a complete tirade of curses follows. All the gods who were depicted on the top of the stone (looks like 19 of them) will curse the person(s) “that cannot be loosed”, and then lists what each god will do. Interestingly, it does mention the god Ninib (Nin-Girsu, Ninurta), who’s symbol is a bird on a perch, is the “lord of boundary stones”. He is the Mesopotamian god of agriculture, hunting and war and his weapon was an enchanted talking mace named Sharur that could fly unimpeded across vast distances.

Also in the above examples (and many others) is depicted a lamp which represented the god Nusku/Nuska (god of light and fire). He was originally the vizier, scribe and boatman of the Sumerian god Enlil and later became the Babylonian and Assyrian god of heavenly and terrestrial light and fire.

Nusku is worshipped from at least the Old Akkadian Period (c. 2120- c. 2350 BCE but may have existed in personal names from c. 2600 BCE) right up to the Hellenistic Period (30 CE- 330 BCE). In the Neo- Assyrian (c. 700 BCE- c. 900 BCE) anti-witchcraft text, "The Maqlu", he was addressed as the son of Enlil, and as a night-light who guards and protects sleeping people from evil as well as performing his role as courier of dreams, preventer of nightmares and protector against sorcery. In the Neo-Babylonian city of Harran, he was the son of Sin (the moon god who is represented as a crescent). Nusku had several temples but his main ones were at Nippur.

Nusku’s symbols were the oil lamp and, later, the rooster. But in “The Name of Nuska”, Wilfred G. Lambert suggests, with reservations, his name to mean “Lord of the Sceptre” ("umun-muduru"). On p. 402 of William Hayes Ward’s book “The Seal Cylinders of Western Asia”, there is a curse that begins, “Mighty Gibil, the instrument of Nusku,” and on one kudurru, Nusku appears as a censer instead of a lamp.

Girra and Gibil were two separate deities that were both gods of fire in all it’s forms, particularly that found in the hearth, and light. There is very little information about Gibil. They existed before Nusku during at least the Early Dynastic III Period (c. 2500 BCE- c. 2600 BCE) and were merged during the Old Babylonian Period (c. 1595 BCE- c. 1894 BCE) or shortly after and continued to develop into the Late Babylonian Period (c. 606 BCE- c. 1000 BCE). These two were eventually merged again with Nusku. Nusku was the lampstand, but Girra/Gibil was the flame and was originally symbolized as a torch. Once they were syncretized, they both represented the planet Mercury as the morning (G/G) and evening (Nusku) ‘star’. G/G shared a temple inside one of Nusku’s temples at Nippur. Fire was seen as an extension of the sun and attributed as ‘male’.

MESOPOTAMIA

The image of Hermes is quite inseparable from the Caduceus (Kerykeion), the staff with the two snakes spiralling around it, and would appear as if this combination was of an ancient Greek (Hellenic) creation. However, the Caduceus appears on Babylonian and Hittite cylinder seals as far back as c. 3000- 4000 BCE and was actually a standalone deity. According to Arthur Lincoln Frothingham in his article “Babylonian Origin of Hermes the Snake-God, and of the Caduceus” (1916), the ‘Caduceus god’ was ‘proto-Hermes’ who was not a single-snake but a male-and-female double-snake. But the snake is an anthropomorphism, and “the ‘Caduceus-god’ was… the predecessor of the Priapic herm-god.” (p. 176) (Hermes, Apollo, Dionysus and Pan are known as bisexual deities.) The caduceus itself appears to be misinterpreted as a rod with a three tipped ‘candelabra’, or as a branch of the ‘tree of life’ (and not a club as suggested by Frothingham) or, correctly, with two snakes spiralling around a staff with their heads at the top facing outwards (or inwards later?) with a vase in the middle. There was another version, or possibly a completely different rod, known as a ‘rhabdos’ and this was held by Hermes. It was a straight sceptre with two snakes at the end that had coiled into the shape of an open ended ‘8’. Hermes is depicted holding this sceptre a lot more than the caduceus staff.

Caduseus- from Ward p.408.jpgHermes with Rhabdos and Caduceus- from Themis p. 295.jpg

Caduceus image from Ward, P. 402. Drawing of a lekythos (c. 450- c. 500 BCE) depicting Hermes the snake god holding the rhabdos and the cadeucus. From Jane Ellen Harrison’s “Themis”, p. 295. Photo of the original lekythos can be found on p. 14 here.

EGYPT

As early as c. 4000 BCE, as found on a Naqada bowl, snakes have appeared artistically. The Egyptian god Apep (Greek: Apophis) was depicted as a giant snake that, in some stories, had a head made of flint, and was sometimes also depicted as a crocodile. The ‘World-Encircler’ and ‘Eater of Souls’ was an underworld god said to live just below the horizon in the ‘tenth region of the night’ (interestingly the rooster is the 10th sign in the Chinese zodiac) attempting to prevent Ra from rising (aka: the dawn), and waited in a western mountain named ‘Bakhu’ for the sun to set. He is said to have a magical gaze to overwhelm Ra and his entourage and makes individuals struggle against non-existence (abundance vs. entropy). Sounds like the much later Zoroastrian version of Bushyasta and the rooster.

“The Books of Overthrowing Apep” were quite elaborate Egyptian rituals describing how to kill Apep by making wax models and drawings of the demon which would be destroyed in various ways while reciting spells.

cont...

c. 3000 BCE

IRAN, ANATOLIA and SYRIA

Continuing from the Zinman Institute article regarding chicken migration:

“The second phase [of chicken domestication] took place in the third–second millennia B.C.E. and includes the dispersal of the chicken out of its natural distribution range to West Asia (Fig. 1, phase B). The earliest chicken remains in the Near East were retrieved in Iran, Anatolia, and Syria and dated to the third millennium B.C.E. or slightly earlier.” … “All these sources relate to chickens (almost exclusively cocks) as an exotic bird, used inter alia for cockfighting and displayed as exotica in royal zoos. The third phase includes its introduction to Europe (Fig. 1, phase C1) and the intensification of its use mainly on this continent (Fig. 1, phase C2).”

MESOPOTAMIA

From Erica Ehrenberg’s book “Leaving No Stone Unturned”, she talks about the “first probable textural reference to the rooster in Mesopotamia from Ur III texts” (Sumerian c. 3000 BCE) as dar.me.luh.ha (“Indian cock”) and dar.lugal (possibly a “male partridge”) corresponding to the Akkadian ‘tarlugallu’ (both the Babalonian ‘dar.lugal’ and the Akkadian ‘tarlugal’ mean the constellation Canis Minor, although the rooster was also associated with the constellation Lepus (rabbit).

EGYPT

Within the creation myth from Heliopolis (c. 3100 BCE) the symbol of the sun, creation and rebirth centred on the deity Bennu (which is depicted as a heron) that sometimes sits on top of the Benben stone, which was a symbol for Ra, and is the name given to the ‘capstone’ at the pinnacle of a pyramid or obelisk. Thus, the sun would first shine upon this stone and was said to give power and enlightenment to anybody nearby. Benben is derived from the Egyptian word weben (wbn) which means ‘to rise in brilliance’ or ‘to shine’. From Egyptian Occult History:

“According to Egyptian mythology, the Bennu was a self-created being said to have played a role in the creation of the world. It was said to be the ba of Ra and enabled the creative actions of Atum. It was said to have flown over the waters of Nu that existed before creation, landing on a rock and issuing a call that determined the nature of creation. It was also a symbol of rebirth and was therefore associated with Osiris."

Remnants of a real-world heron of gigantic (~ 2m tall with a wingspan of ~2.7m) proportions (for a heron) that became extinct around 1500-1800 BCE were found in the UAE. It was given the name ‘the Bennu bird’ (Ardea bennuides) after the god Bennu which may have originally inspired the image for the deity.

ENGLAND

Stonehenge is believed to be constructed between 2000-3000 BCE. (I put this here just for perspective.)

c. 2700 BCE

EGYPT

Currently the earliest example of ‘modern’ architectural stone columns are found at the Pyramid of Djoser, carved to look like bundles of reeds. (Pyramid of Djoser - Wikipedia)

c. 2500 BCE

INDUS VALLEY

The archeological site known currently as Mohenjodaro (‘Mound of the Dead Men’) was a major city in its time but abandoned by c. 1900 BCE. It’s original name is unknown but a study by Iravatham Mahadevan of a Indus seal showing two roosters followed by the ideogram for city excavated from Mohenjodaro suggests the Dravidian name could be Kukkutarma where -arma means ‘city’ and Kukkuta means ‘cock’ so literally ‘the ruined city of the cock’ (PDF, p. 5) (World Classical Tamil Conference: Special Souvenir). Cockfighting may have been a significant religious ritual here. (Mohenjo-daro - Wikipedia) I suggest the possibility that the city was an early domestication and breeding centre for fighting cocks and hens, though there is no evidence of this that I know of. The city is, however, considered to be a possible location for the dissemination of chickens into Western Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.

He also mentions the much younger Cola (Cholas) capital city Uraiyur (c. 300-200 BCE) (currently Tiruchirapalli) in Southern India which was also known as Koli, or literally, ‘cock’. “The name is explained by a myth of a cock boldly confronting an elephant.”

BACTRIA

Discovered in 1976 by Soviet archaeologist Viktor Sarianidi, Bactria (or Oxus culture) was a Bronze Age region in modern Afghanistan and India and an early centre for Zoroastrianism. Many small (under 20 inches) abstract idols in the shape of stone pillars and disks, and large marble staves (under 51 inches though they many have been longer) have been uncovered in this region with Bactria-Margiana being the site of origin. Some argue that these were weights for measuring grain but most agree that they are religious artifacts. (Bactrian Marble Column Idol For Sale at 1stDibs) Though after looking at these, because of the groove at the bottom and the top of these columns, I wonder if it was, say, a stone baluster for a handrail? The staves are a different matter.

c. 2000 BCE

BABYLONIA

Anzu (Imdugud/Zu/Ningirsu/Ninurta)- Old Babylonian storm god depicted as a massive thundercloud in the shape of a bird. A lesser deity born of the waters of Absu who could breathe fire and water and was also depicted as a lion-headed eagle (gryphon).

“Also in Babylonian myth, Anzû is a deity associated with cosmogony. Anzû is represented as stripping the father of the gods of [his] umsimi (which is usually translated [as] “crown” but in this case, [since] it was on the seat of Bel, it refers to the "ideal creative organ” (“The Sin of the God Zu”).”

MESOPOTAMIA

The Mesopotamian Ningishzida was the god of vegetation and the underworld. Known as a serpent god, his symbol was the caduceus, a staff with two serpents entwined around it, which is said to be a depiction of the god himself. According to Assyriologist Frans Wiggermann, Ningishzida was one of a group of “Transtigridian snake gods” (p. 41-42). He was also depicted as a human with a snake coming out of each shoulder. In Zoroastrianism, the god Zahhak had snakes coming out of each shoulder as well.

Ningshzida Libation Cup.jpg
Image of the famous "Libation Vase of Gudea" (c. 2100 BCE) depicting the caduceus god Ningashzida flanked on either side by the dragon Mushussu, servant of Marduk and his son Nabu, and who may be equated with the constellation Hydra.

c. 1500 BCE

INDIA

In the Rigveda, believed to have been written during the Vedic period c. 1500-1100 BCE, the rooster appears as an emblem on the battle flag of Kartikeya/Murugan, the mace wielding Hindu god of war and victory (aka: Skanda (born from a seed dropped in the reeds of the Ganges; represents the rising sun), Kumara (‘prince, child, young one’ and son of Ushas (dawn)), and several others).

PERSIA

The Huma (pronounced Homā) bird from Persian folklore (c.1500 BCE) is similar to the Fenghaung bird of China having both male and female natures. It is invisible, never touches the ground, is compassionate and is said to be a ‘bird of fortune’. The Huma bird apparently had the power to bestow kingship on whoever’s shoulder it landed on, or its shadow touched as it flew over (election by divinity). It was also similar to the phoenix since it would consume itself in fire every several hundred years and arise from the ashes (which sounds a bit like a comet). The Huma bird is found in Sufi and Diwan poetry (eg: “The Conference of the Birds” ).

GREECE

The Phoenix is an immortal bird from Mycenaean Greek (c. 1600-1200 BCE but may be older) mythology and may have been partially inspired by the Egyptian deity Bennu (or the other way around) because of its association with rebirth. It’s first mention in a fragment from the Precepts of Chiron attributed to Hesiod in the 6th century, came from the Greek word ‘phoinīx’ which came from the Mycenaean Greek word ‘po-ni-ke’ which apparently meant ‘gryphon’ and/or ‘palm tree’. Strongly associated with the sun and fire, the phoenix obtains new life by dying from its own combustion and rising from the ashes ‘of its predecessor’.

c. 1400 BCE

ASSYRIA

Earliest known representation of the rooster in Mesopotamia appears on an ivory pyxis found in a Middle Assyrian tomb at Assur. There are roosters in the trees. (IDD - Iconography of Deities and Demons in the Ancient Near East - Download, see: Rooster pdf)

Mesopotamia Pyxis- Roosters in Trees.jpg

c. 1350 BCE

EGYPT

Earliest known representation of the rooster in Egypt was found on the wall of the tomb of Tutankhamen.

cont...

c. 1200 BCE

GREECE

One of the elements to the PIE pastoral god '*Péh2usōn' were boundary markers. The lineage of the god Pan has become fairly accepted to descend directly from *Péh2usōn of which Hermes then apparently derives from Pan. The earliest form of the name Hermes comes from the Mycenaean Linear B script (c. 1450 BCE) as ‘e-ma-ha’ (*hermāhās). The etymology of the Greek word ‘herma’ is unknown but is probably pre-Greek and not a PIE word, but means ‘stone heap’.

From the ‘Herm (sculpture)’ wiki, in ancient Greece, a heap of stones (a type of cairn) and rough stelae of stone or wood represented the gods. These mounds were found alongside roads and especially at junctions, and land boundaries. Theophrastus (c. 371- c. 287 BCE), mentions the custom of a traveller tossing a stone onto the pile in religious respect (which makes me think of the ‘throwing of coins into a fountain’ superstition). These stone mounds were also ‘anointed’ (‘to smear’- PIE root: *ongw-, ‘to salve, anoint’) with oil by some. Over time, four-sided stone pillars known as ‘herma’ developed possibly as an evolution of the mounds. The herm became equated with the Greek god Hermes from which he apparently got his name. He was the ‘god of boundaries’ which makes me think of Ninib who was the ‘lord of boundary stones’. Interestingly, in ‘Greek Religion’, Walter Burkert mentions that as the ‘god of boundaries’, Hermes could cross those boundaries being a ‘messenger of the gods’ and psychopomp. I had never thought of it in this way before. The one who made the border is the only one who can cross it without permission, force or knowledge.

Herms did not have to be very big. It seems that the fact it has four sides is what makes it a ‘herm’. The number ‘4’ was apparently sacred to Hermes. For extensive images of Hermes see this site. A lot of the images show the rhabdos and almost none for the caduceus.

Hermes- Small Herm.jpgHerm Possibly of Hermes.jpg

Small herm statue of Hermes/Mercury of unknown date from the Istanbul Museum of Archaeology. Notice the rhabdos. Large herm (c. 520 BCE, Siphnos) with the possible head of Hermes from the National Archaeological Museum of Athens (#3732) (wiki). The heads of many different people, both living and mythological, were carved onto herms. The phalli on herms was an apotropaic ward against evil magic.

c. 1000 BCE

PHRYGIA

Sabazios (-zios, Zeus) is the c. 1000 BCE Phrygian and Thracian ‘sky-father’, a solar and chthonic serpent god who carried a thyrsus and was strongly associated with horses. Originally Thracian carried to Anatolia by Phygian emigrants, his name is related to the Macedonian word meaning ‘satyrs’ (who were companions of Dionysus; also Pan was a satyr) (encyclopedia.com). Among the various decorations on the Sabazios statue is, what looks like, a pinecone perched on the end of the thumb. Dionysus carried the thyrsus, which was a staff with a pinecone on the tip. Notice also on the back, the rhabdos with wings that was carried by Hermes. There is also a basilisk creature and what appears to be a rooster above a mother and child at the front wrist area. Sabazios was also associated with beer, horned rams and bulls and was worshipped by c. 400 BCE. However, it is possible that this god originated from Perperikon (Hyperperakion) in south-central Bulgaria. There may have been a Temple of Dionysus at the site c. 800 BCE to 600 CE.

Hand of Sabazius- Composite.jpg

Composite image from “Alcuni monumenti del Museo Carrafa” (1778) by Giovanni Carafa, pages 52, 54, 56.

Jews of Syria and Anatolia identified Sabazios with Sabaoth.

From encyclopedia.com:

“According to several Christian writers (Clement of Alexandria, Arnobius, and Firmicus Maternus), the most impressive rite of initiation into the mysteries of Sabazios consisted of the adept's contact with a snake (aureus coluber) that was first put over his breast (per sinum ducunt) and then pulled down to his genitals.”

Which immediately makes me think of Pazuzu with his snake penis, but whether there is a direct connection I don't know.

Something else is mentioned, though, about hand gestures that are specifically tied to Sabazios. What’s known today as the ‘benedictio Latina’ is apparently specific to this cult. For a more on Sabazios check out this PDF.

christ3.gif

c. 900 BCE

GREECE

From Knossos comes the earliest known representation of the hybrid creature known as a ‘hippalektryon’ as an askos (a small container used to store oil). The front half was a horse (hippos) and back half was the wings, legs and tail of a rooster (alektryon) and has been either misinterpreted as, or a variation of, a pegasus. A red-figure vase has been found depicting Athena with a shield on which is painted a hippalektryon. This creature is not associated with any myth or legend and is rarely written about. From the wiki:

“Roosters are prophylactic as they are a symbol of solar power that routs demons with its singing at sunrise. Horses, especially winged horses, are a funerary symbol as they guide the souls of the dead.”

The Greek author Aeschylus first mentions it in ‘The Myrmidons’, describing a ship exhibiting a “fire-coloured horse-chanticleer” and the comic playwright Aristophanes states in ‘The Frogs’ the image was painted on galleys which may have been use to protect the ships.

This shows that the Greeks were at least aware of the rooster by this time. It also shows a possible syncretization of male generative power between the two animals.

ASSYRIA

This “Conjuration Plate” is of a much later Neo-Assyrian (c. 604- 911 BCE) bronze tablet apparently meant to be placed in a bedroom as a ward against evil. A sick person is depicted in a bed with all manor of gods around. On the left of the second register you can see a tripod with an oil lamp on it. That’s Nusku and he’s acting as a protective night-light against Lamashtu (the big malicious goddess below who harms mother and child during childbirth) and any other demons. The big face at the top is Pazuzu who holds the tablet supposedly adding another layer of protection, which seems counterintuitive because he is a really evil demon. But apparently the understanding is that since Pazuzu is so evil, he scares away all other demons… which leaves the biggest, baddest demon watching over you while you sleep.

Bedroom Ward- Nusku.jpg

Conjuration Plate”- The Louvre Museum (AO 22205)

c. 776 BCE

GREECE

There is disagreement as to when they started but Aristotle reasons that the first official Olympic games were held around this time, although the ‘Olympic’ games were the oldest of the four cities to host the Panhellenic Games. Women were not allowed to participate (which makes me think of women not being allowed to attend cockfights). The games were one of two major festivals. The other was the Eleusinian Mysteries. The Olympic torch is a modern ritual created in 1928 based on the ancient practice of a sacred fire being lit on the altar within the virgin goddess Hestia’s temple for the duration of the games. It’s interesting to note that every public and private hearth, and the fire within, was Hestia’s sanctuary.

c. 700 BCE

GREECE

First known image of the rooster on pottery is from Corinth.

c. 700-600 BCE

PERSIA

The Gaithas, said to be penned by Zarathustra, upon which was built the first monotheistic religion Zoroastrianism, creates a rooster known as Parodarsh (which in Avestan means ‘he who foresees the coming dawn’), who was the closest companion to the god (of the underworld) Sraoša (Sraosha). Parodarsh aided Sraosha with its crowing which scared away Bushyasta, the demon of sloth, laziness and procrastination, who tries to keep people asleep. Demons also cannot enter a house if a rooster is present since the crowing scares them away.

There are elements within this that parallel the stories of the Egyptian snake god Apep.

c. 660 BCE

ANATOLIA

The precursor to the lighthouse that guides ships into a harbour were fires lit on the tops of hills which eventually became fires on top of stone platforms. The earliest known mention of a lighthouse is by the Greek poet Lesches located at the Greek city of Sigeion (founded c. 800-700 BCE) in the north-west of the Troad region of Anatolia.

A lighthouse could be a form of stele and has a striking similarity to the Sumerian and (later) Babylonian and Assyrian god Nusku who was depicted symbolically as a lampstand with fire or (later) a rooster on top. Lighthouses would be seen as guides and protectors for mariners. As a note, Nusku makes me wonder about the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’.

Probably the most well known lighthouse was the one at Alexandreia located at Pharos, Egypt, known as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The Greek Strabo apparently visited the lighthouse in the late first century and wrote in his book Geographica that ‘Sostratus of Cnidus’ (the proposed architect) had placed a dedication carved in the stone on the lighthouse to the ‘Saviour Gods’. The Greek word for ‘lighthouse’ is pharos (φάρος) which is similar to the Greek word for Pharaoh (Φαραώ).

The oldest existing lighthouse is the Tower of Hercules on a peninsula near A Coruña, Galicia, Spain, a town of Celtic origin. Built by the Romans from c. 1 CE, it was known as the Farum Brigantium (‘farum’ from the Greek ‘pharos’) with a dedication to the Roman god of war, Mars (Greek: Ares).

Lighthouses also seem related of the Egyptian Benben stone atop an obelisk.

cont...

c. 600 BCE

GREECE

Lampsacus map.jpg

The ‘garden god’ Priapus (the son of Aphrodite and Dionysus, and either father or son of Hermes) emerges, believed to originate from the Greek colony of Lampsacus (currently Lapseki), Hellespont, Anatolia evidenced by a popular ritual of sacrificing donkeys to the god by his followers there. In the 8th century poem Fasti by Ovid, the nymph Lotis became drunk at a feast and passed out. By stealth, Priapus seized the opportunity to have sex with her but was thwarted when Silenus’s donkey began ‘raucous braying’ awakening the other party people in the house. Incensed that his chance was lost, he clubbed the donkey to death with his truly gargantuan member. However, in the book “Sexual Life in Ancient Greece” (1932) by Hans Licht (p. 221), this tale is not the actual reason donkeys were sacrificed. They were sacrificed because “[the ass] was regarded as specially possessed of generative power, and for the same reason the goose also was sacred to him.”

The first mention of Priapus is found in ‘Priapus’, a comedy written by the comedic poet Xenarchus c. 400 BCE. His origin story is a bit unfortunate and was originally depicted as a rather ugly, gnomish character with a massive, red, permanent erection (where the medical condition known as ‘Priapism’ comes from). Unlike Pan, however, he was completely humanized. As a primarily rural god in the beginning (and considered a joke in cities, apparently), rough naked statues with large erect members were carved out of wood, painted red, and placed in fields and gardens in the hope of attracting ‘generative power’ to the area thus bringing about a good crop as well as for protection from thieves (in the form of sexual punishment) and birds. As Hans Licht mentions (p. 222), these statues were shown with a sickle in his hand and a bundle of reeds for hair intended to scare birds away when the wind made them rustle. A club may also have been a part of the statue to be used against trespassers, and might have actually been integrated into the statue itself as a ‘removable phallus’. The current ‘garden gnome’ (yeah, the one with the red, pointy cap that if flopped over looks like a Phrygian cap but, as it is, usually stands erect) and the scarecrow are evolutions of these Priapus statues. He was also placed at roadway intersections in Rome and Greece to ‘point’ the way. A traveller, apparently, would stroke his phallus to gain his favour for a safe journey. Hans also writes, “But as the phallus was also employed for the protection of graves, so Priapus likewise appears as the ornament of these memorials.” As an example, in the paper “Priapus- Scattered Finds of a Complex Deity” (2017) by Tijana Stankovic-Pesterac, she reveals with photos, “The funerary stele made of limestone from the village of Popinici, situated in the Roman Bassianae is dedicated to Priapus.” She also shows many artistic examples of Priapus including rare terracotta statues.

Priapus was also a patron of sailors as a protector and navigational aid (‘points the way’?, Nusku lampstand/lighthouse/rooster?, ‘tarlugal’ Canis Minor constellation?). From this article:

“Recent shipwreck evidence contains apotropaic items carried on board by mariners in the forms of a terracotta phallus, wooden Priapus figure, and bronze sheath from a military ram. Coinciding with the use of wooden Priapic markers erected in areas of dangerous passage or particular landing areas for sailors, the function of Priapus is much more extensive than previously thought.”

In the 1 CE Pompeiian wall fresco from the House of the Vettii, Priapus is shown wearing a Phrygian cap and Phrygian sandals which implies a non-Greek origin. According to Herodotus, the Phrygians (Bryges/Briges) originally dwelt in the southern Balkan area (debated) and migrated to Anatolia via the Hellespont. The Phrygian ‘cult of Cybele’ with her semi-divine shepherd consort Attis, the self-castrated Phrygian god of vegetation and death/resurrection, was introduced into the Greek colonies of western Anatolia c. 600 BCE and Greece itself by c. 300 BCE. Their priests were eunuchs known in the Latin as galli, or singular, gallus, which feels more like a demeaning euphemism from roosters (Roman: gallus). I’m thinking Priapus could be either a standalone deity, a Greekized offshoot or an syncretized version of Attis, and I say this not just because both were associated with vegetation, but that Attis was only a semi-divine shepherd who castrated himself, and Priapus, a minor, rustic god, was originally cursed with impotence from birth, banished to Earth and raised by shepherds.

Priapus Fresco.jpg

In an online, reconstructed version of the English translation (1890) of the ‘Priapeia’, a collection of eighty Latin poems believed to be written c. 1-2 CE by several anonymous authors, there is another connection in the introduction, written by someone named Neaniskos (Greek for ‘a young man’):

“The worship of Priapus amongst the Romans was derived from the Egyptians, who, under the form of Apis, the Sacred Bull, adored the generative Power of Nature; and as the syllable pri or pre signifies (we are assured) principle, production, natural or original source, the word Priapus may be translated principle of production or of fecundation of Apis.”

It’s odd that Priapus (with his massive endowment) who is originally impotent becomes a fertility god who is inseparable from Fufluns/Dionysus/Bacchus (all who carry the thyrsus) and Turms/Hermes/Mercury (all who carry the caduceus and are psychopomps).

Also known as ‘Hellespontiacus’ by the Romans, Priapus was everywhere in Greece and Rome but it went to another level in Rome. People hung ‘tintinnabulum’ (phallic wind chimes) from their houses and doors that rang in the wind or when an opening or closing door would hit them. It was believed that the sounds of bells would keep evil away (demons could not enter a house if a ‘cock’ was present because its singing would scare them away). They also wore ‘fascinus’ or ‘fascinum’, which primarily means a bewitching or enchantment or ‘to practice magic’ (the word ‘fascinate’ is a direct descendent). These were amulets of phalli especially hung around the necks of children as a apotropaic charm protecting against witchcraft, evil spirits, envy and the ‘evil eye’. Both of these are also found in Britain. Just as a rooster protected a house, these 'fascinum' seem to be a mobile version.

Tintinnabulum- Ancient Roman Wind Chime (resize).jpg

It’s also possible that showing someone your middle finger was a 'fascinus hand gesture' (the fingers form two testicles and an erection). It’s interesting that this is known, at least in English, as ‘flipping (someone) the bird’ which makes no sense without a rooster/cock connection.

Continuing with Neaniskos’ introduction:

“The same symbol also bore among the Romans the names of Tutenus, Mutinus and Fascinum. According to Macrobius, the corresponding deity amongst the Egyptians was called Horus- a personification of the sun. This Horus is painted as a winged youth, with a quoit lying at his feet, a sceptre in his right hand, and in his left a Phallus equal in size to the rest of his body. The Phallus was the ancient emblem of creation, and representative of the gods Bacchus, Priapus, Hercules, Siva, Osiris, Baal and Asher, who were all Phallic deities, the symbols being used as signs of the all-creative Energy or operating Power of the Demiurgos, from no consideration of mere animal appetite but in token of the highest reverence.”

The word ‘Demiurgos’ is the ‘personified’ Gnostic term ‘demiurge’ derived from the Platonic schools of philosophy, from the Latinised Greek word ‘dēmiurgós’ that originally meant ‘craftsman’ or ‘artisan’ but became ‘producer’ and eventually ‘creator’ and ‘god’. However, Gnosticism makes a separation between the highest, unknowable God/Supreme Being and the demiurgic ‘creator’ of the material universe. ‘Justin the Gnostic’ (c. 200 CE) reasons that Priapus is the supreme being who made, at least, the material universe.

On p.16 of “Discourse on the Worship of Priapus” (1865) by Richard Payne Knight, he writes:

“Plutarch tells us, that the Egyptians represented Osiris with the organ of generation erect, to show his generative and prolific power: he also tells us, that Osiris was the same Deity as the Bacchus of the Greek Mythology; who was also the same as the first begotten Love (Ερως πρωτογονος) of Orpheus and Hesiod. This deity is celebrated by the ancient poets as the creator of all things, the father of gods and men; and it appears, by the passage above referred to, that the organ of generation was the symbol of his great characteristic attribute. This is perfectly consistent with the general practice of the Greek artists, who (as will be made appear hereafter) uniformly represented the attributes of the deity by the corresponding properties observed in the objects of sight. They thus personified the epithets and titles applied to him in the hymns and litanies, and conveyed their ideas of him by forms, only intelligible to the initiated, instead of sounds, which were intelligible to all.”

Yeah. The language is a bit much. On p. 29:

“Hence the Egyptians, in their sacred hymns, called upon Osiris, as the being who dwelt concealed in the embraces of the sun; and hence the great luminary itself is called Κοσμοκρατωζ (Ruler of the World) in the Orphic Hymns.”

Then on p. 32, he says:

“The custom of keeping sacred animals as images of the Divine attributes, seems once to have prevailed in Greece as well as Egypt; for the God of Health was represented by a living serpent at Epidaurus, even in the last stage of their religion. In general, however, they preferred wrought images, not from their superiority in art, which they did not acquire till after the time of Homer, when their theology was entirely corrupted; but because they had thus the means of expressing their ideas more fully, by combining several forms together, and showing, not only the Divine attribute, but the mode and purpose of its operation. For instance; the celebrated bronze in the Vatican has the male organs of generation placed upon the head of a cock, the emblem of the sun, supported by the neck and shoulders of a man. In this composition they represented the generative power of the Ερως [Eros], the Osiris, Mithras, or Bacchus, whose centre is the sun, incarnate with man. By the inscription on the pedestal, the attribute thus personified, is styled The Saviour of the World (Σωτηζ κοσμŏ); a title always venerable, under whatever image it be represented.”

Known as the “Priapus Gallinaceus”, the Greek inscription on its base ΣΩΤΗΡ ΚΟΣΜΟΥ (Soter Kosmoi/Servator orbis) translates to “Saviour of the World”. A photo of the statue was published in the book “Sex and Sex Worship”, by Otto Augustus Wall (1922), on page 437.

Priapus Statue (drawing) (sml).jpgPriapus Gallinaceus (sml).jpg

As a side note, in a 2012 paper titled “Osservazioni sul cosiddetto ‘Priapus Gallinceus’” (“Comments on the so-called ‘Priapus Gallinaceus’”), written in 95% Latin, I read that the ‘original statue’ that was (is?) apparently held in the Vatican is considered ‘missing’ and that the statue (referring to the one in the photo) might be a reproduction from the late 1600’s to early 1700’s made “by the same melters’ workshop [that] specialized in fakes”. The drawing might be of the original? Apparently, there are two of these statues being held in private collections in London and Berlin.

Back to Neaniskos introduction to the “Priapeia”:

“Payne Knight states that Priapus, in his character of procreative deity, is celebrated by the Greek poets under the title of Love or Attraction, the first principle of Animation, the father of gods and men, the regulator and dispenser of all things. He Is said to pervade the universe with the motion of his wings, bringing pure light, and thence to be called 'the splendid, the self-illumined, the ruling Priapus'. According to Natalis Comes, the worship of Priapus was introduced into Athens by express order of an oracle.”

This sounds very much like ‘Justin the Gnostic’s’ reasoning.

“Afterwards the cult [to the Supreme Power, the Author of Life, the Sun] became depraved, a religion of feeling, of sensuousness, corrupted by a priesthood who, not slow to take advantage of this state of affairs, inculcated therewith profligate and mysterious ceremonies, union of gods with women, religious prostitution and other sexual rites. Thus it was not long before the emblems lost their real and original meaning, and became licentious statues and debased art. Hence we have the debauched ceremonies at the festivals of Bacchus, who became, not only the representative of the creative Energy, but the god of pleasure and licentiousness."

'This corrupted religion readily found eager votaries, captives to a pleasant bondage compelled by the impulse of physical luxury: such was the case in India and Egypt, and among the Phoenicians, Babylonians, Hebrews and other Eastern races.'

'Sex-worship once personified became the supreme and governing deity, enthroned as the ruling god over all; and monarchs, complying with the prevailing faith, became willing devotees to the cult of Isis and Venus on the one hand, and on the other of Bacchus and Priapus, appealing, as they did, to the most tyrannical passion of human nature.”

Basically, Priapus is a male fertility god but also an apotropaic ward that appears to have possibly grown out of the rooster’s attribute as protection against 'demons entering a house' and it's association with fire. However, it became so degraded that it could no longer distinguish between a real demon and the feminine.

cont...

c. 540 BCE

MESOPOTAMIA

On p. 421 of Ward’s book, he states that the rooster arrives on cylinder seals quite late during the Persian period:

“The Cock appears doubtfully only on quite late cylinders, of the Persian period or not much earlier (see figs. 554, 556, [1119],1126). This suggests the late introduction of this bird to the country. In his Introduction to Count d'Alviella's “Migration of Symbols," p. x, George Birdwood calls attention to the fact that in the fifth century the cock had reached Lycia, as shown by cocks' heads on a Lycian coin forming the three "legs" of the triskelion (I can’t find the coins but it might look something like this Celtic Bronze Disk; and the cock is also on the harpy monument at Xanthus. It is somewhat earlier on the cylinders, probably; and, as it seems characteristic of the Persian period, we may connect it with the Avestan honor to the cock Parodans which calls to early prayer. See Vendidad, XVIII, 23 (51).”

Rooster:Nusku Cylindar Seal.jpg

Notice the rooster standing on the lampstand Nusku where Gerra/Gibil (fire) used to be. This is one of the earliest depictions of the rooster in a religious setting. "Cylinder Seal" from the First Persian Empire, c. 330-539 BCE. Musee du Louvre, AO 2405.

From Erica Ehrenberg’s book “Leaving No Stone Unturned”, the rooster appears in the first half of 1000 BCE on stamp seals but was now influenced by Persia. The rooster was depicted standing on plinths and columns which infers divinity. It was also depicted standing on a lampstand which means the fire that was usually there to give light and the rooster can be interchangeable. This associates the rooster with the god Nusku (the son of the moon god Sin), as well as the god Nabu, both of whom may be associated with the planet Mercury which appeared at both morning and evening but was considered to be two different planets. Nevertheless, there is a very strong relationship between the rooster and the moon as well as the sun. Erica references something called the “Birdcall Text” of which there are two versions, one from Sultantepe with a duplicate from Nineveh, and one from Assur:

“The text lists the sounds made by various birds and connects each bird to a deity. The Sultantepe/Nineveh text names the kubsanu as the bird of Nusku and the dara.lugal (rooster) as the bird of the underworld god Enmesarra” … “The equation of the rooster with Enmesarra, a god of the underworld, appears contradictory to the bird’s equation with Nusku, god of light, but possibly accords with what may have been notions of duality and opposition later subsumed within the symbolism of the rooster. As already discussed, the Zoroastrian rooster has been hypothesized to be a bird of Ahuramazda, who presides over the world of light, and maybe also a bird of Sraosa, who watches over the night and leads the dead to heaven. The rooster in Greece, as remarked, has been conjectured not only to have heralded the new day but also to have represented the hope of resurrection in the afterlife. Analogously, then, the Mesopotamian rooster could have represented Nusku but also Enmesarra. The connection of Nusku with the night is strengthened by the incantation from the first millennium Maqlu series of magical texts against intruders and bad dreams. Furthermore, this incantation was to be recited at dawn, yet another possible allusion to Nusku’s embodiment as a rooster.”

c. 517 BCE

CHINA

From the book “Meaning of Folklore” from 2007, chapter 15 titled: “Gallus as Phallus: A Psychoanalytic Cross-Cultural Consideration of the Cockfight as Fowl Play”, Allen Dundas writes:

“The cockfight is one of the oldest, most documented and most widely distributed traditional sports known to man. The earliest recorded cockfight in China dates from 517 B.C. (Cutter 1989a, p 632; 1989b, p. 10), which would make cockfighting at least 2500 years old. (See also Danaë 1989, p. 34, who suggests that cockfighting existed before 2000 B.C.)”.

The date 517 BCE comes from references made in the Chinese Classics “Lie Zi”, “Shi Ji”, and “Zuo Zhuan”. From p.105 of "The Sinitic Civilization Book II" :

“Lu Lord Zhaogong, who was encouraged by Elder Uncle (rather Count) Hou-zhao-bo (?-517 B.C.), someone who was against Ji-ping-zi over some housing project encroachment and tricks in the cockfighting, wanted to get rid of Ji-ping-zi. The Ji-shi clan gave the cocks leather shields while the Hou-shi people gave the cocks iron claws.”

A different interpretation mentions ‘mustard’ was used instead of ‘leather shields’. This quote reveals that cockfighting was very well advanced already since augmentations were crafted and applied to the roosters in the hope of favourably swinging the outcome of a fight as well as there being a sense of ‘cheating’ the rules.

Before 517 BCE, there are no clear dates for cockfighting. There does seem to be a general consensus for the theory that the chicken was domesticated and bred for the express purpose of cockfighting since the very beginning but there is almost zero evidence supporting this. And as mentioned in the Zinman article, cockfighting was the reason for it's migration.

Cockfighting was once widespread across the entire world, the game enjoyed by peasants and royalty alike. Now, it is banned in many countries and heavily restricted in others. Still, illegal cockfights widely exist in most countries for gambling and entertainment but only a scant few countries exhibit any form of ritual built into the event. One of the most notable is the Hindu purification ritual 'Tabuh Rah' (‘pouring of blood’ that dates back to at least 922 CE) in Indonesia that involves animal sacrifice, but not in the way most people would think. In a cockpit, two cocks enter, one cock leaves. The cock that is killed IS the sacrifice and it's blood that spills onto the earth is said to show respect to the ‘bad spirits in nature’ (Bhuta) which appeases them thus leaving humans alone. This ‘spilled blood’ is also hoped to bring about good crops, and, in general, the fight itself is seen as a form of fertility worship. An excellent article can be found here which opens with, imo, a another, albeit different, motivation behind it:

“Men have brought their own cocks ~ sabung, or have come to bet on them. The double meaning for “cock” is not a coincidence here.

Clifford James Geertz studied the Balinese cockfight and his essay “Deep Play – Notes on the Balinese Cockfight”, on the meaning of the cockfight for the male participants he states:

“That is that they identify with their cocks so much, that the bets, the big bet between the principals, is a laying of one’s public self, one’s masculinity, on the line. A man’s sabung– fighting rooster– is an extension of his virility and masculinity.“

A very interesting point about the Tabuh Rah cockfight (that might not be exclusive to it) is that there are no women allowed. I cannot say when or where this rule began. For all I know it might have started at the very beginning. But, certainly the reason is not what I expected. Women are not allowed to participate because it is said that if a menstruating woman touches the cock, all the fight will be taken out of him. It is standard practice that fighting cocks are also removed and isolated from all female company for at least 24hrs. before a fight. There are many examples of this in athletic society today, though maybe not as strict... or weird.

This example along with many others within the sphere of cockfighting has led Alan Dundas to conclude that the entire world of cockfighting is one big metaphorical group male masturbation and homosexual act. His essay ‘Gallus as Phallus’ is quite interesting though perhaps farfetched but as to his description about cockfighting as a "phallic brag duel" was on the money. He did make a remark that I found to be quite interesting, however, in regards to gambling at cockfights:

“The somewhat eccentric Wilhelm Stekel (1924) regarded sexuality as the most important component of gambling, and he used a bit of folkloristic evidence, a proverb, to support his contention. The proverb “Glück in Spiel, Unglück in der Liebe” (p. 240; see also Greenson 1947, p. 74), unquestionably a cognate of the English proverb “Lucky at cards, unlucky in love,” does suggest a kind of limited good. There is only so much luck (= sexual energy). If one uses it up in gambling, for example, playing cards, then there will be insufficient for heterosexual lovemaking. There is some clinical evidence to support this conclusion. It involves a compulsive gambler who fell in love. “He had abandoned gambling during the 18 months of his involvement, and resumed it when “the love” was discarded (Galdston 1960, p. 555). This view that there is a finite amount of sexual capacity, or perhaps of sexual fluid, is reminiscent of old-fashioned views of masturbation. The idea was that all the ejaculations resulting from masturbation decreased the amount of sexual fluids available for heterosexual acts. The connotations of the German word “Spiel” in the proverb, analogous to the English word “play,” do include explicit allusions to masturbation (see Borneman 1971). The proverb might then he rendered, “Lucky in masturbation, unlucky in (heterosexual) love.” (This discussion of the proverb is mine, not Stekel’s.) The proverbial equation might also be relevant to the alleged connection between gambling and impotence. The argument is essentially that the “excitement of gambling and the symbolic equivalents for sexual release built into many games serve as a substitute for sexual relationships” (Olmsted 1962, pp. 104–105, 120).”

One obvious way to evolve the cockfight was to create a better fighter. If you can create a better bird you could win more matches which brings all the glory along with it. Not only is it possible, but crossbreeding with other members within the Phasianinae (pheasant) sub-group of the Phasiandae family has been done for centuries. And the results can hatch in about 21 days, which is a ridiculous turnaround time. And since roosters are… prodigious breeders, one can be inundated with chicks in no time. On pages 50-54 of the book “Handbook of Avian Hybrids” (Eugene M. McCarthy, 2006), there is a list of successful captive crossbreeds of chickens with other fowl such as: Ceylon Junglefowl, Grey Junglefowl, Green Junglefowl, Willow Ptarmigan, Red Grouse, Himalayan Monal, Siamese Fire-backed Pheasent, Kalij Pheasant, Silver Pheasant, Turkey, Speckled Chachalaca, Common Peafowl, Rusty-margined Guan, Grey Partridge, Western Capercaillie, to name a few. Every time the highly adaptable chicken is moved into a new country, it can produce different combinations of offspring with the local population of the Pheasant family. Chickens are crossed with other members in the hopes of making a bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive fighting cock, and with the goal for the females of bigger, meatier hens that lay bigger and a lot more eggs.

On page 50, he notes:

“Reports for both Red Junglefowl, of N. India and of SE Asia, and for its captive equivalent, the Domestic Fowl, are combined here under Gallus gallus. The relationship of these birds is very close. In fact, ongoing hybridization between them in S. Asia has reduced pure Red Junglefowl stocks to virtually nil. Brisbin et al. (2002, 217) say that “Although Red Junglefowl are considered abundant both in captivity and in the wild, and have not been accorded any particular conservation concern, almost all populations show morphological characteristics suggestive of past hybridization with domestic birds, and indeed pure genomes may prove to be now extinct in the wild.” Since G. gallus has been introduced throughout the world, natural crosses between feral domestic fowl and other birds occur also outside G. gallus’s native range.”

c. 500 BCE

GREECE

There is an oft quoted story attributed to the Greek general Themistocles (c. 524-459 BCE) who was getting ready to repel the second Persian invasion of Greece in 481 BCE. There are two versions of the story ("Gallus as Phallus," p.288):

“Most considerations of cockfighting invariably cite the classical instance of Themistocles, who was leading his Athenian army against the Persians in the fifth century B.C. when he chanced to see some cocks fighting. His alleged, but oft-quoted, remarks were: “These animals fight not for the gods of their country, nor for the monuments of their ancestors, nor for glory, nor for freedom, nor for their children, but for the sake of victory, and that one may not yield to the other” (Pegge 1773, p. 137). This impromptu speech supposedly inspired and rallied the troops of Themistocles (The standard source is Aelian, Varia Historia 2: 28; cf. Bruneau 1965, p. 107.)”

The second version has Themistocles hosting a cockfight for his troops the night before battle which might imply him to be a ‘cocker’ (one who breeds and fights cocks). Regardless, this story was apparently used to teach young boys, at least, courage.

“The Greeks, after their last successful war with the Persians in 479 B.C., stage cockfights in Athens and other Greek cities in [a yearly] commemoration of the event. Some measure of the Greeks’ affection for fighting cocks can be obtained from the fact that in the Theatre at Athens, on the chair of the high priest of Dionysus, there is carved a winged Eros, holding a gamecock.” (Link)

I was able to find pictures of the priest’s chair referred to (the throne of the Priest of Dionysus in the Theatre of Dionysus in Athens) but none show the side. However, I was able to find a VR 3D model of that chair which shows the carvings. Click and drag to spin the image around, shift-click to drag the image around, scroll in and out, option-click (on mac) to move the light source for better shadows. Very cool VR.

c. 490 BCE

GREECE

Panathenaic Prize Amphora- Athena and Roosters.jpgPseudo-Panathenaic Amphora- Athena and Roosters.jpg

The first image is a “Panathenaic Prize Amphora: A: Athena, B: Four-horse chariot” (1909.13) from the Yale University Art Gallery. The inscription along the left column translates, “From the Games at Athens." These amphorae would be filled with olive oil and presented to the winning athletes by the city. The roosters standing on the columns are a bit hard to see so the second image is a “Pseudo-Panathenaic Amphora with Horse Race“ (48.2105) Walters Art Museum. Lacking the prize inscription, these Psudo-Panathenaic Amphorae were smaller versions of the ones athletes could win. These were used as souvenirs or for trade. You can see the roosters on the columns much easier. The woman in both is Athena.

c. 480 BCE

SICILY

Rhabdos.jpg

A bronze rhabdos (though the museum calls it a Caduceus) of about 1.7 feet long (51.5 cm) that would have been carried by a herald (an actual person). The inscription states that it is the property of the Sicilian city of Syracuse.

c. 431 BCE

PHAISTOS

A coin (downloadable PDF) showing Zeus/Velchanos wearing a himation over the right knee, seated in an oak tree with his hair tied back in a bunch. His left hand rests on the tree and his right hand holds a cock (rooster) which stands upon his knee. (p. 63, Wroth, Warwick; Poole, Reginald Stuart (Editor) (1886))

c. 400 BCE

Etruscan askos:

Etruscan Rooster Askos.jpg

cont...

Last edited:
c. 332 BCE

An Abraxas/Abrasax stone shows the Gnostic deity outside of his usual appearance with human legs, an erect phallus, and holding a plant in his right hand (‘thyrsos’ means “stalk or stem of a plant”). Usually he is depicted with serpent legs, a shield or sun in his right hand and a whip or wand in his left such as depicted in this stone from c. 30 BCE- 395 CE. There is a Greek god that has the same legs as the usual Abraxas, which are the most unique part of him.

Abraxas- Pallic, Plant.jpg Abraxas- Traditional.jpg

First image: “Abraxas” (E 3017) (c. 332- 395 BCE) Louvre; second image: “Abraxas” (MG 11482) (c. 30- 395 BCE) Louvre.

Several children were produced from the union of Gaia (the earth) and Tartarus (the underworld), and one of them was Typhon (Typhon - Wikipedia), one of the most dangerous creatures in Greek mythology battling Zeus for supremacy of the universe, ultimately losing to Zeus’s thunderbolts, however, and being cast into the underworld. It was said he would ‘hiss’ and had ‘flashing’ eyes. Typhon is similar to the Sumerian demon Asag (one of the seven ‘gallu devils’ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallu)- “They snatch the son from a man’s knee.” Zeus/Dionysus ‘thigh’ reference?) who met his fate from Ninurta using his enchanted talking mace, Sharur.

As I understand, there are a lot of these stones around and it makes me wonder if they were used as an apotropaic ward like the Roman ‘tintinnabulum’, and like the other apotropaic wards, these Abraxas stones are also found in Britain.

c. 300 BCE

EGYPT

Egg incubators were used during the Ptolemaic dynasty to hatch thousands of fertilized eggs in weeks at a time. Aristotle (384-322 BCE) wrote about it saying eggs “are hatched spontaneously in the ground, by being buried in dung heaps.” ("The Egyptian Egg Ovens Considered More Wondrous The the Pyramids") The shear number of eggs makes me think that this was for food though I do question if it this was a breeding centre for fighting cocks which would have been extremely profitable, but I don’t know of any evidence for this.

GREECE

In Delos stands the famous shrine to the god Dionysus known as the 'Exedra of Dionysus' or 'Stoibadeion'. While the rest of this little temple was built in c. 200 BCE, it was built around the original pillar on the right (south) that bears an inscription of dedication to the god by a Delian named Karystios in c. 300 BCE. The association cannot be any more clear than this. The rooster does not stand on top of the ‘lampstand’ instead being replaced by a ‘priapus’ with the rooster carved into the front of the herm having its head replaced by another phallus. Combine this association with a shortened Sanskrit (for example) name for the rooster (‘kukkuta’ -> ‘kuk’) and, I think, this might be where the term ‘cock’ and it’s meaning comes from.

Dionysus and Rooster.jpg

c. 270 BCE

The Volcae were a tribal confederation of Celts (which is suggested to come from the La Tene culture (450- 1 BCE)—> Hallstatt culture (1200- 600 BCE)—> Urnfield culture (c. 1300- 750 BCE)—> Tumulus culture (c. 1600- 1200 BCE)—> Unetice culture (c. 2300-1800 BCE)). Two groups known as the Volcae Arecomisci and the Volcae Tectosages migrated south and east toward present day Spain, while a splinter group of Volcae Tectosages joined with two other tribes, the Tolistobogii and the Trocmi and moved south through Macedonia and into Anatolia settling in Phrygia (the capital city being Gordion (home of the Gordion Knot (c. 333 BCE) which makes me think of the Celtic Knot and the Endless Knot), becoming known by the Greeks as the Galatians (sometimes being referred to by Greek writes as the Hellenogalatai and Gallograeci by the Romans).

The Latin word Galli was the Roman name for the people of Gaul who referred to themselves as Celtae. Modern researchers relate ‘galli’ to the Welsh ‘gallu’ and Cornish ‘galloes’ which has the meaning of ‘powerful people’. I’ve read that the rooster was a symbol of the Celts but I have no idea from where that comes from. I can’t even find a ‘dawn goddess’ for the Celtae though there is some discussion that the Irish “Brigid” is an extension of the PIE dawn goddesses. Very little is known about the Celtae and it’s unknown if they were even aware of the rooster since it does not show up artistically. Julius Caesar may have brought the rooster in, but I propose a possible roundabout link, however, with the Galatians because they would have had a much earlier exposure to the rooster and cockfighting from Greece and Phrygia, and then possibly migrating the rooster ‘back’ to Celtae lands. My evidence is weak but during the French Revolution (and American Revolution first), the Phrygian cap was worn and became a symbol of freedom and the pursuit of liberty. Both the Phrygian cap and the rooster also appeared on French écu coins (French old coins catalog with images and values, prices and photo pictures) during that time. Where did they come from? So, since there is no ancient record linking the rooster with the Celtae, I can only guess it might have been an attachment between their Roman name (Galli) with the name of the rooster (gallus), then, perhaps, attaching the ‘Themistocles meaning’ for the cockfight with the possible meaning behind Celtae ‘powerful people’ (fearsome warriors?) and then the rooster eventually becomes the unofficial symbol of France. (shrug?)

c. 264 BCE

ROME

There is no consensus as to when the first gladiatorial games began but Titus Livius places the first Roman games around this time with earlier games being held c. 310 BCE in Campania, although Nicolaus of Damascus believed they were Etruscan in origin. The earliest munera (public works and entertainment for the benefit of the Roman people paid for by the well-off, but was often a synonym for ‘gladiatorial combat’) were originally held at or near the tomb as a service or gift to the deceased person and over time became a huge festival at its peak. I can’t say these games were an evolution of the cockfight but the two are incredibly similar. Both devolved into entertainment for the masses with the only honourable option for the combatants of either was to fight well or die well.

ROME

There is a story from the First Punic War of a Roman senator who, planning a surprise navel attack on the Carthaginian fleet in the harbour of Drepana, consulted the ‘sacred chickens’. When the Pullarius informed him that the chickens were not eating, meaning the omen was bad, he replied, “Since they do not want to eat, let them drink!” and pitched them overboard into the sea. The battle nearly saw the end of the Roman fleet and Pulcher was charged with impiety and was either sentenced to exile or acquitted. Either way, he seems to have died shortly after.

c. 161 BCE

A roman law in the Lex Faunia banned the consumption of more then one chicken per meal. (For a bit more of a look into the Greek and Roman food side of chickens see “The Persian Bird’s Conquest” article from the Cahn’s Quarterly (Jan. 2020) (downloadable PDF))

From the book ‘Ferguson's Illustrated Series of Rare and Prize Poultry” by George Ferguson (p. 223), he writes:

“The Persian breed of cocks appears to have been regarded as invincible, and was much sought after by all capable of paying the exorbitant prices demanded. The description furnished by Aldrovandi, on the authority of Plorentius, of certain hens in Alexandria from which fighting cocks were bred, bears close resemblance to our own; he moreover mentions their extreme incubating powers, and their general excellent qualifications as mothers and protectors. They were called monositae (i. e., one mealers, or such as eat but once a day.)”

c. 100 BCE

ROME

In the past, the Romans despised cockfighting considering it nothing more than a “Greek diversion”. However, Julius Caesar apparently had a great admiration for it and at some point in his reign is said to have introduced its acceptance within Roman culture. Julius Caesar is also credited with introducing cockfighting to Britain, although cockfighting may have already existed before the arrival of the Romans as evidenced by Julius Caesar saying the birds in Britain were better than the ones in Rome. I propose the chicken might have been brought to Britain through the connection with Celtic Gaul (La Tène culture) and possibly the Galatians, but this is a complete guess.

c. 8 BCE

GREECE

Appearing in Homer’s Odyssey, there is a possible caduceus connection in the Greek mythology of Tiresias, the blind prophet of Apollo, who would receive visions and would listen for the songs of birds. As the possible ‘inventor’ of Augury, Tiresias comes upon a pair of copulating snakes on Mount Cyllene and hits them with a stick killing one or both. This displeases the goddess Hera who turns him into a woman for seven years. (S)he then happens upon two more snakes only this time leaves them alone (or tramples them depending on the myth). Either way, he regains his masculinity and lives for seven generations appearing in a tale warning Pentheus (a king of Thebes) about denouncing Dionysus (the father or son of Priapus) as a god. After his death from an arrow shot by Apollo at the tainted spring Tilphussa, he descended to the first level of Hades. He is associated with snakes and the underground, prophecy and extended lifespan, and often depicted with a cane which is symbolic of his blindness and power.

(Tiresias - Greek Blind Prophet of Apollo in Thebes | Mythology.net)
(Tiresias - Wikipedia)

Divination

Since I mentioned augury, I’m going to list a few forms of divination here:

Mesopotamia

- In Persia, Zoroastrian priests told the future by looking into flames as mentioned by Agathias.

- In Babylon (c. 700- 1850+ BCE), the stars of the night sky were known as ‘heavenly writing’ and were interpreted by a celestial diviner. Astronomy and horoscopy completed the three celestial sciences.

- “Impetration is a type of divination which involved a diviner asking a deity to control a medium for the diviner to foretell the future. Media might include smoke, lots, or drops of oil in, or on, water.”

- In the Neo-Sumerian times (c. 2100-2000 BCE), there are suggestions that people were divining dreams. A dream interpreter was known as a ‘ša’il(t)u”.

Greece

‘Consulting the Oracles’ was big in Greece, and the most popular and important oracle by far was Apollo. He was “most closely associated with the supreme knowledge of future events which is the possession of Zeus.” The Thriae (the three nymphs and patrons of bees: Melaina (‘The Black’, associated with the underworld), Kleodora (‘Famed for her Gift’) and Daphnis/Corycia (‘Laurel’) who lends her name to the Corycian Cave that was sacred to the nymphs, a place of worship of the god Pan (and the proposed ritual home of Dionysus) were also said to help Apollo develop his ‘adult powers’ and the type of divination taught to him was that of mantic (divining) pebbles or ‘the throwing of stones’.

A very interesting bit is that Apollo apparently transfers a version of his 'oracular function' to Hermes in the form of ‘cleromancy’. Cleromancy is a form of sortition (‘selection by lottery’, eg: election), and is very well known as the ‘casting of lots’ (rolling dice) of which the outcome would be considered random, but that outcome could also be believed to be the "‘will of god’, the universe or some other entity." If I’ve got it right, the interpretation of the ‘communication with god’ by one who is skilled through the use of mantic pebbles is closer to Apollo while the ‘hope of benefit’ by anyone through the use of the dice’s ‘random outcome’ is closer to Hermes.

Hermes oracular ability, then, is seen in 'the lottery' (gambling, ‘throwing of dice’) and sounds mysteriously like ‘luck’, which is seen as a ‘lesser skill’ compared to Apollo’s but is still considered of 'divine origin'. Just as Apollo received assistance with his duties from the Thriae, a possible version of the Thriae, known as the ‘Bee Maidens’, were associated with Hermes and taught him cleromancy.

From the Bee (mythology) wiki, Apollo’s gift was originally the realm of the feminine:

“The bee was an emblem of Potnia, the Minoan-Mycenaean "Mistress", also referred to as "The Pure Mother Bee". Her priestesses received the name of "Melissa" ("bee"). In addition, priestesses worshipping Artemis and Demeter were called "bees". Appearing in tomb decorations, Mycenaean tholos tombs were shaped as beehives. The Delphic priestess is often referred to as a bee, and Pindar (c. 518-c. 438) notes that she remained "the Delphic bee" long after Apollo had usurped the ancient oracle and shrine.” [Apollo kills the Python, a version of Tiamat, believed to reside at Delphi, the centre of the earth, guarding the omphalos stone.]

Hermes is the god of luck. The rooster (one of Hermes symbols) is seen as a symbol of luck or ‘good fortune’ and may have become attached through gambling at cockfights.

Rome

Augury was the ancient Roman practice of interpreting omens from the sky (thunder and lightning) and birds. A later form of augury was read from the sacred chickens (these may or may not have been hens). These chickens where held in a transportable cage and attended to by the Pullarius (‘keeper of the auspice chickens’). These chickens were consulted on a regular basis in political cases but apparently almost exclusively over military matters. In a nutshell, it worked like this: chickens would be left unfed for a period of time before a ‘divining’ would occur. When a decision needed to be made, the cage would be opened and the Pullarius would throw some seeds on the ground. Basically, if the chickens danced and ate, the sign would be good. If they did not, it would be bad. (The Sacred Chickens of Rome)

Augury.jpg

The ‘Auspice Chickens’ in there cage. Full image can be seen at the University of Chicago. "Funerary Relief of Marcus Pompeius Asper" (B293)

c. 4 BCE

ISRAEL, PALESTINE, JORDAN

Chickens apparently start being bred for food and ‘economic exploitation’ outside East Asia during the Hellenistic Period (4th-2nd BCE) in the Southern Levant from evidence of large amounts of chicken bones from a site in Maresha. (Zinman article)

c. 1 CE

ROME

On cockfighting in Rome, The Encyclopaedia Britannica (2008) mentions that the Romans had adopted cockfighting “so enthusiastically that the agricultural writer Columella complained that its devotees often spent their whole patrimony in betting at the side of the pit.”

c. 2 CE

INDIA

Attributed to Vātsyāyana, the Kama Sutra advises women to study the rules of cockfighting, which is number 41 of the 64 arts. Even if they were not allowed to attend, they would be seen as more pleasing to the men.

c. 43 CE

BRITAIN

From p. 92 of “The History of Cockfighting” by George Ryley Scott:

“Many writers are of opinion that the Romans introduced the sport [of cockfighting] into Britain. Others assert with equal confidence that it was already existent at the time of the Roman Conquest, pointing out the statement of Julius Caesar to the effect that the ancient Britons bred fowls for pleasure and diversion rather than food. At any rate it is probable that the Romans were responsible for the introduction of artificial spurs and the first forms of organized cockfighting.”

From this article (downloadable PDF):

Early references of cockfighting in England go back to King Henry II (1154-1189 CE) with many kings enjoying the sport like James I, William III and Charles II. King Henry VIII built his own cockpit at Whitehall Palace at Westminster. The game was a national sport at one time and exclusive schools taught students about cockfighting. Clergy even encouraged the sport using the grounds and the churches themselves as arenas. Cockfights were also held in the schoolhouses. In 1654, Oliver Cromwell made cockfighting illegal but the nobility and commoners continued to indulge. In 1849, Queen Victoria finally ended the sport with the ‘Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’ act, but illegal fights still flourish today.

Apart form the usual fights, there was also the 'Battle Royal' and the 'Welsh Main' for the biggest and bloodiest battles, and in reading the chapter “Historical Aspects of Cockfighting in the United Kingdom,” from “History of Cockfighting”, the amount of money to be made at these events is staggering.

c. 79 CE

ROME

From the book “History of Cockfighting” (1983) by George Ryley Scott, he writes:

“In many countries the fighting-cock, if not actually deified, was honoured and idealised to a degree which to modern observers seems little short of remarkable. In ancient Rome, however, it possessed an influence and a power well neigh unbelievable, as the following passage from the writings of Pliny indicates:

“They are great Commanders, and Rulers, and are made for War and Fighting; and the Countries from whence they first came are grown into Name, being much renowned for their breed, as namely Tenagra and Rhodus in the first and highest degree: in the second rank and place, be those of Melos and Chalcis. And unto these Birds (for their worth and dignity) the Purple Robe of Rome, and all magistrates of State disdain not to give Honour. These rule our great Rules every Day: and there is not a mighty lord or State of Rome, that dare open or shut the Door of his House, before he knows the good Pleasure of these Fowls:and that which is more, the Sovereign Magistrate in his Majestie of the Roman Empire, with the regal Ensigns of Rods and Axes, carried before him, neither sets he forward, nor reculeth back, without Direction from these Birds; they give order to whole Armies to advance forth to Battle, and again command them to stay and keep within the Camp. These were they that gave the Signal, and foretold the issue of all those famous foughten Fields, whereby we have achieved all our Victories throughout the whole World: In one word, these Birds command those Great Commanders of all Nations upon the Earth.” (p.88)

On p. 222, George Ferguson also mentions the effect on Romans:

“At a subsequent period the Romans no less emulously complied with these enjoined national precepts, and at once acknowledged the [Greek] diversion as of religious and political importance. The cock was regarded by them as the emblem of courage, and dedicated to their several deities.”

The Romans also fought quail.

c. 190 CE

OSTIA ANTICA

It occurred to me that one of the traits that is not more visible with the rooster is time which doesn’t go any further than dawn. But the phase ‘the dawn of time’ sticks in my mind (‘dawn of linear time?’). Anyways, deities associated with time like Aion and Chronos are also associated with snakes but not the rooster. Within the Roman mystery religion of Mithraism (inspired by the Zoroastrian deity Mithras) is a deity(?) known only as the ‘Lion-headed figure’ (Leontocephaline). This figure has a debated identity but the consensus is that he is associated with time and seasonal change. The image is a drawing found at a ‘mithraeum’ in Ostia Antica, Italy. Notice the caduceus (Hermes), the rooster (Priapus?) and a pinecone (Dionysus) at the figure’s feet. The pinecone is interesting to me, though. The figure holds two keys with twelve holes, and a staff that might have been a thyrsus at one time but its pinecone is on the ground.

The Latin inscription (google) translates as: “Caius Valerius Heracles, the father, and Caius Valerius Vitalis, and Nicomes, the priest, deposited their money. It was dedicated on the thirteenth of August, when consuls Commodus VI and Septimianus were consuls.”

A note mentions that Emperor Commodus’s name was not stricken since he was initiated into the mysteries.

For a detailed description see entries 312 and 313 (p. 143, 144) from "Corpus Inscriptionum Et Monumentorum Religionis Mithriacae” (1956), M. J. Vermaseren.

Leontocephaline-Ostia (resize).jpg

c. 193- 211 CE

From the book “The Royal Pastime of Cock-fighting” (1709) by Robert Howlett, he writes on p. B4- B5 of the preface:

“Nor did the Roman Empire shrink so long as cocking was esteemed in Rome. And it’s reported of that subtle, and most victorious Emperor Severus (Lucius Septimius Severus (145-211 CE)), that when he was determined to conquer (if possible) Great Britain, that to draw off his two sons Antonine and Geta, from the Bewitching Vanities of the theatre, and to prepare them in mind the better to bear the many difficulties and hardships, that they must of necessity undergo in the prosecution of so great and bloody an enterprise, as the subduing even Thule in self, which was then deemed the utmost region of the North; he commands the sport of cock-fighting, to be exhibited daily before his sons, and the principal officers of the army, and that not only to make them emulous of glory through the performance of great achievements, but also to be firm and unshaken in the midst of dangers, nay in death itself.”

c. 1500 CE

SUMATRA

From page 29 of the book “The Royal Pastime of Cock-fighting” (1709), R. H. London speaks of a religious practice of the Sumatran people observed by Niccolò de' Conti (c. 1395-1469, Italian explorer) which has elements of the phoenix and bennu mythology:

“They annex stately buildings to their Fanes and Temples, where they keep at public charge, divers fighting-cocks, which are brought forth, as the people come to worship, and are fought in a spacious court Eastward, on the right-hand of the door of the House of their Gods: after which a certain priest, skilled in cocking, and approved for his great ability in astronomy, and all natural philosophy, having a voluble ready way of speaking, first takes up the conquering cock after the battle is over, and presents him to their deities, and then comes and takes up the slain cock, and puts him in a golden cauldron, where he bathes his body limbs in Sankereen; and then, with rich gums and spices, burns his body upon an altar made for that purpose; after which his ashes are put carefully in a golden pot or urn, there to remain for ever. And then the Brammen or Priest, makes a long speech to the people showing the excellency of cocking, and the great use and benefit of it to all such as know how rightly to apply it, and expatiates much upon the present combat, drawing divers inferences from the various passages and transactions made use of by the late foughten cocks, showing also the great magnanimity, courage, skill and constancy of these warriors. And lastly, he applies it so pertinently to all that are present, in terms so fit and suitable, that it conduces greatly to their edification, grounding in them a firm and stable temper of mind, with an unshaken valour, whereby they are now truly said to be a people invincible; and verily I am of opinion of those hence at first came that saying so common among us still, viz. He is gone to church to see a cockfight.”

There is a resemblance of the ceremony to the writings of Herodotus about the Egyptian myth of the bennu/phoenix resurrection:

“[The Egyptians] said it lived for 500 years before dying, resuscitating, building a funerary egg with myrrh for the paternal corpse, and carrying it to the temple of the Sun at Heliopolis.”

c. 1600 CE

SWEDEN

Gustavus Adolphus (1594-1632), the King of Sweden, apparently held cockfighting in high regard when he told the Danish king that “he had nothing to fear from the Germans now that they had devoted themselves to dancing and drinking instead of cockfighting.” (p. 91-92, ’The History of Cockfighting’, George Ryley Scott)

cont...

Leftovers

Terminology:

Rooster- adult male bird over one year old
Cockerel- juvenile male bird of less then a year old
Capon- a male bird that has been castrated

Hen- adult female bird over one year old
Pullet- juvenile bird of less then one year old
There is no name for a spayed hen but the operation is performed mostly due to ‘egg binding’.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Zoroastrianism, the cock (Parodarsh) is “'he who foresees the coming dawn.” In 2013, a Japanese researcher, Takashi Yoshimura of Nagoya University, published an article from his experiments with roosters and crowing. In one experiment, he took roosters and put them in complete darkness 24 hrs a day. They crowed 2 hours before the sun rose every time suggesting an internal circadian rhythm. Here’s a fun little video.

There is also something called the ‘third watch’:

“The Jewish day began at 6:00 a.m. and finished at 6:00 p.m. The night watch began at 6:00 p.m. and ended at 6:00 a.m. The night watch was broken up into four time periods of three hours each. Mark 13:35 names the watches:

First Watch -- the evening (6:00 - 9:00 p.m.)
Second Watch -- at midnight (9:00 - midnight)
Third Watch -- at the crowing of the rooster (midnight - 3:00 a.m.)
Fourth Watch -- the morning watch (3:00 - 6:00 a.m.)”

It appears that the third watch ended at 3 am when the rooster crowed which would be well before dawn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lampsacus may be the town where the god Priapus originated, but the current town of Karabiga to the northeast of Lampsacus, was actually named Priapus:

“Originally a town of ancient Mysia, it was a colony of Miletus or of Cyzicus. It had a good harbour. Strabo mentions that the area produced fine wine and that the god Priapus gave the town its ancient name. Thucydides mentions the town as a naval station.”

The name Lampsacus (Λάμψακος) is also interesting because it contains the word ‘lamp’ which is ‘lámpa’ (λάμπα) which makes me think it’s in a way tied to Nusku (the ‘lamp’ deity). It was previously named Pityusa (maybe from the Avestan ‘Ušå’ meaning ‘dawn’?).

I don’t know if this holds any water but I occasionally ran into Priam (Priamus/Priamos; Πρίαμος), the mythological king of Troy, and found the name Priapus/Priapos (Πρίαπος) to be very similar. From the Priam wiki, the etymology of the name may come from the Luwians and apparently means ‘exceptionally courageous’ (cockfight?), and may also come from the Greek verb ‘priamai’ meaning ‘to buy’ (Hermes as god of merchants?).

From the Sabazios wiki:

“Possible early conflict between Sabazios and his followers and the indigenous mother goddess of Phrygia (Cybele) may be reflected in Homer's brief reference to the youthful feats of Priam, who aided the Phrygians in their battles with Amazons.”

In the introduction of the ‘Priapeia’, Neaniskos writes about a (supposed) ritual performed by virgin women of Rome:

“According to Festus, Mutinus or Mutenus is a god differing wholly from Priapus, having a public sanctuary at Rome, where the statue was placed sitting with penis erect. Newly-mated girls were placed in his lap, before being led away to their husbands so that the deity might appear to have foretasted their virginity, this being supposed to render the bride fruitful. In Primitive Symbolism we read, 'The Romans named Mutinus or Tutenus, the isolated Phallus, and Priapus, the Phallus affixed to a Hermes.’”

“St Augustine informs us that it was considered by the Roman ladies a very proper and pious custom for young brides to seat themselves upon the monstrous member of Priapus; and Lactantius says, 'Shall I speak of that Mutinus, upon the extremity of which brides are accustomed to seat themselves in order that the god may appear to have been the first to receive the sacrifice of their modesty?’”

“It has been thought that the penis of Priapus was reddened by its exposure to the weather, and its normal condition of rigid tension. This is not so. It was painted red.”

Is it possible it was painted red to mimic the blood of a virgin? Yikes! Regardless, after I read this, for some reason a specific part in the movie “Braveheart” popped into my mind.

In the movie, the ‘old custom’ of Prima Nocta (first night) is invoked by Edward the Longshanks to breed the Scottish out. The idea of a nobleman able to claim a woman on her wedding night is actually the Latin ‘jus primae noctis’ (right of the first night). There is speculation if this actually happened but from the ‘Droit du seigneur’ (French for ‘lord’s right’) wiki:

“In the Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh is described as having practiced a similar custom: "He is king, he does whatever he wants... takes the girl from her mother and uses her, the warrior's daughter, the young man's bride." His first meeting with his friend Enkidu is an attempt at one of these acts where Enkidu manages to stop him in a great contest of strength between the two champions.

Herodotus mentions a similar custom among the Adyrmachidae in ancient Libya: "They are also the only tribe with whom the custom obtains of bringing all women about to become brides before the king, that he may choose such as are agreeable to him.”

“When the plebeians of the Etruscan city of Volsinii rebelled against the aristocrats in 280 BC, "They took their wives for themselves and placed the daughters of the nobles under the jus primae noctis, while all their former masters on whom they could lay hands were tortured to death.”

On a side note, Mušḫuššu, “the red serpent”, a Babylonian god associated with both Marduk and his son Nabu, is a chimera that is constantly angry (VR 3D model: see #14). There are images of gods that have their masculinity depicted as a serpent (the ancient Mesopotamian god Pazuzu (plaque de conjuration) for instance). Priapus’s ‘endowment’ is painted red. I’m not saying there is a direct connection between Mušḫuššu and Priapus but it does stick in my mind.

Bedroom Ward (Back)- Pazuzu.jpg

The image is of the backside of the “Conjuration Plate” showing the god Pazuzu with a snake for a phallus.

A comparison between the head of a rooster and the Roman Centurion and Praetorian helmets which I think come complete with comb and wattles… and even a tail.

Helmets from Medieval Collectibles and rooster portrait from the chicken wiki.

Comparison.jpg

The level of adoration that is exhibited by those who admire cockfighting can be on the level of the fanatic. Not all roosters will fight and so the correct and selective breeding has been done for centuries to find the best possible fighters, and the very, very best are known as Gamecocks. These are the trained and tested top-tier gladiators and I say gladiators because the parallel is practically exact. Reading from “History of Cockfighting” gives me a sense of how these birds were viewed. For instance, Scott quotes George Wilson from “The Commendation of Cocks, and Cockfighting” (1607):

“The Cocks of the game are so-called, because they carrie the credite away from all other Cocks in battell, which is the onely cause they are so highly esteemed, and so much valued as they be; for it is generally and commonly seene, that the most heroicall and noble-minded men, take greatest delight in those things which are of most courage, and greatest valour, and that of all others (in my opinion) is the Cocks of the game…”

Scott then quotes a poem but I’m unsure of the author:

“No Bird can with a well-bred Cock compare,
No Creature less then Man shall with him share;
The Honour bravely won by dint of sword,
From fiercest Foes in open field where Blood,
Flowing from dying Warriors’ fatal wounds,
Breeds richest Rubies in Bellona’s Grounds.”

Bellona was a Roman goddess of war.

He then continues:

“Although, however, the males of many breeds of poultry will, on occasion, fight grimly, determinedly and to the death if need be, with others of their kind; only in rare circumstances does one find, even among the more pugnacious breeds, a rooster that can hold his own with, much less vanquish, a representative specimen of the real Game Fowl. It is just such a bird that is so well described by Thomas Bewick, in the following passage from his famous ornithological work: “The appearance of the Gamecock, when in his full plumage, and not mutilated for the purpose of fighting, is strikingly beautiful and animated; his head, which small, is adorned with a beautiful red comb, and his chin and throat with wattles; his eyes sparkle with fire, and his whole demeanour bespeaks boldness and freedom. The feathers on his neck are long, slender, and pointed, and fall gracefully down upon his body, which is thick, muscular, and compact; his tail is long, and the flexile feathers which fall over it form a beautiful arch behind, which gives a grace to all his motions; his legs are strong, and armed with sharp spurs, with which he defends himself, and attacks his adversary; he lays hold with his beak, and strikes with the feet and wings. When surrounded by his females, his whole aspect is full of animation; he allows of no competitor, but, on the approach of a rival, rushes forward to instant combat, and either drives him from the field, or perishes in the attempt.” (Thomas Bewick, A History of British Birds, Vol. 1, Bernard Quaritch, London, 1885)

If this is the mindset seen in ancient times, then no wonder the rooster received religious status.

The rooster, however, was only one half of the equation. When breeding Gamecocks only the best females were sought after. Until 1744, the idea was that fighting-cocks played a less important role since they lose their constitution and vitality over time from constant battle whereas the hen, not being subjected to the same hazards, “was in much better condition for carrying out the process of breeding”, though Scott steers that importance away from the hen and back onto the rooster. Hens will fight. And Scott does mention that “the female of the Game Fowl often displays some of the courageous and pugnacious qualities characteristic of the male” and will even crow “to proclaim her triumph over an antagonist in typical masculine manner.” The same characteristics in a Gamecock are looked for in a Gamehen, “the strong limbs, the broad chest, the wide back, the alert eye”. Once these traits are found and bred together from whatever combination of breed (introduction of new genetic material is known as ‘outbreeding’) ‘inbreeding’, or ‘linebreeding’ often occurs, the function of which is to “fix and perpetuate the points already secured.” Breeders go so far as to breed brothers and sisters but the usual is to breed parents and children in order to keep the desired traits from becoming sullied and degraded. Scott says this is a debatable practice on the merits of successful outcomes, though he has done it satisfactorily, and says that so long as ‘outbred’ birds are of the same Game Fowl quality, outbreeding would probably give better results.

It’s interesting to read some of the people who enjoyed cockfighting like Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Themistocles, Queen Elizabeth of England, James I and his son Prince Henry, Charles I, Charles II, Sir Walter Raleigh, the Duke of Marlborough (Winston Churchill’s ancestor) and the Duke of Essex. The oldest known cockpit was built at Whitehall Palace by Henry VIII. Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641) apparently painted a scene of a cockfight being held in Whitehall but I can’t find a copy anywhere. (there might be a much older pit I think was called ‘the legionnaires pit’ built by the Romans that I read about but didn’t bookmark and now I can’t find it)

In America, people like:

George Washington

“George Washington was reported to have been an avid devotee of cockfighting. Some accounts have Washington as maintaining a flock of Irish Greys, but it is also known that he imported a flock of Yellow Pyles or Piles from New Orleans. In a letter preserved in the archives of the Virginia Historical Society, Washington invited Thomas Jefferson to come to Mount Vernon and join him for some sport, and specifically mentioned his Yellow Pile birds. Investigators coming across the reference to Yellow Pile have allegedly misinterpreted the phrase to mean “yellow pine,” the local word for a mulatto, and from this error, it is said that some of the stories about Washington’s virtue have arisen.”

Andrew Jackson

“Andrew Jackson had been, of course, a cock raiser and gambler. One account of Jackson as a young man in North Carolina described him as “the most roaring, rollicking, game-cocking, horse-racing, card-playing, mischievous fellow that ever lived in Salisbury.” Among his papers was found a memorandum on how to feed a cock before a fight.”

“At one time cockfights were actually held in our nations capital. President Andrew Jackson kept fighting cocks in the white house stables, employing a man named Jack Freer to feed and train them. Such statesmen as Henry Clay, John C. Calhoun, Martin Van Buren, Governor John Floyd of Virginia, and many others met in the committee rooms of congress to match rooster favorites.”… “At that time cockfighting was America’s National Sport and the fighting cock lost out to the American Eagle as the Seal of the United States by only ONE vote after a bitter battle.”

Abraham Lincoln

“Abraham Lincoln, who was known to sometimes officiate in the cockfight, received the nickname of “Honest Abe” because of his reputation for fairness in refereeing cockfights. One fragmentary description of Lincoln in the cockpit does confirm the assertion that he refereed fights.

“They form a ring, and the time having arrived, Lincoln, with one hand on each hip and in a squatting position, cried, “Ready”. Into the ring they toss their fowls, Bap’s red rooster along with the rest. But no sooner had the little beauty discovered what was to be done that he dropped his tail and ran."

Benjamin Franklin attended and refereed cockfights and Thomas Jefferson was a breeder and fighter.

The original source of this info appears to come from “Johnson’s Breeder’s and Cocker’s Guide”, third edition (1948), by William Thomas Johnson.

Asclepius is the Greek god of healing, and was associated with the Roman/Etruscan god Vejovis and the c. 2700 BCE Egyptian physician Imhotep who became deified after his death.

The Rod of Asclepius only has one snake wrapped around it and I question if Asclepius might be related to the Sumerian god Ninazu who was the steward of the underworld (‘King of the Snakes’) and associated with healing (‘Lord Healer’). Along with his wife Ninigirida, their son was said to be Ningishzida (the Caduceus).

Known as Gastroliths and Gizzard Stones, these stones are found in the gastrointestinal tracts of various animals that are accidentally or intentionally accumulated when swallowing food. They have even been found in dinosaurs and moas. In the case of birds, they are intentionally eaten and stored in the gizzard in order to help grind seeds and grains for digestion. Over time they undergo a change becoming very smooth, rounded, and seemingly in many cases, transparent, some to the point of gem-like quality.

When it comes to the rooster, these stones are specifically called Alektorius (Alektor, the Greek name for rooster) and were given special reverence with claims of making the one who wears one or holds it in their mouth invulnerable. Other benefits include “eloquence, magnanimity, good character, and great charm… restore the joys of venery and make wives strive to please their husbands.” It apparently also has the ability to quench a persons thirst never having to drink again. These ideas come from the book “De lapidibus” (c. 200 CE) by Damigeron. The idea eventually developed that these stones eased gastric ailments. And the older the roosters, the better the stones. Birds had to be castrated, and live at least three years before stones could be harvested. A ten year old bird was best.

In the article “The Capon Stone” (1973) by Thomas R. Forbes, a story from is related from 1591 where capons were being killed by the cooks and in the stomach of one of them was found “five little stones of unequal size, round and a little long, translucent like clear crystal, variegated with rather dull blueish and gold fibres or streaks, glittering with grains like opals.” It seems that one was polished and set into a gold ring by “The Very High Born Lord Christopher Gorsch” of Greiffenstein.

In Damigeron’s lapidary book “De lapidibus”, he specifically mentions the “Lapis alectorius”. A Latin translation can be found here. He writes (Google translate):

“Alectorius stone is found in the stomachs of chickens, only in the shape of a bean, of crystal or of clear water. [2] This stone he who carries will be invincible by every man. [3] For he has already been tried and approved by many. [4] For having him as a gladiator or a warrior in his mouth, he will remain strong and free from thirst. [5] And he shall by all means conquer the athlete and the charioteer. For Milo the Croatian, carrying this stone, was never defeated. [7] Moreover, many others who had him in battle waged valiantly, and continued undefeated; and the kings, expelled from their kingdom, trusting in carrying this stone, received not only their dominion, but also another's. [8] He also makes him secure, and grateful, and pleasing to him that carry him. Moreover, in regard to venereal pleasures, he makes both strong and strong. [10] But it will also be beneficial to women who bear the things which they wish to please men. [11] For it is a common stone. [12] He also offers resolution to the ambassadors in his speech. [13] He also makes the burden beautiful, and magnanimous, and upright, and good, and who obtains all things proposed to the strong defences.”

Damigeron also takes about ‘Heliotrope’ known as Hematite (from Greek ‘haima’ meaning ‘blood’) or Bloodstone. In its ‘classic’ form, it’s an opaque dark green jasper with red inclusions of hematite. It was called the ‘stone of Babylon’ by the German friar Albertus Magnus (c. 1200-1280), an apparent alchemist who is said to have discovered the philosopher’s stone, and referred to the power of stones in his work ‘De mineralibus’ but does not elaborate, apparently, though Pliny the Elder (c. 1 CE) mentioned that the magicians used it as a stone of invisibility. The Gnostics apparently wore it as an amulet as did the Greeks and Romans. Ward mentions (p. 6) that the most common stone used for Egyptian cylinder seals is hematite. The most common stone used in early Babylonian cylinder seals was black serpentine (snake stone). The earliest material used for seals was shell and apparently before that, the lower joint of a reed, but these have not survived.

In an article by Ruslan I. Kostov discussing the book “Orphic Lithica” (a c. 3 CE lapidary treatise on the magical and therapeutic properties of about 30 ‘stones’) , he mentions an interesting bit about the ‘Tears of Pine’ which corresponds to amber and was known in Ancient Greece as ‘ḗlektron’. Theophrastus (c. 371- c. 287 BCE) work “On Stones” and an Orphic poem mention amber.

The word ‘ḗlektron’ shares its meaning with another substance known in its Latinized form ‘electrum’, which is a naturally occurring alloy composed of mainly gold and silver. Coins were made out of electrum as early as c. 700- c. 600 BCE in Lydia and Eastern Greece, and c. 300 BCE, the pyramidions at the top of some Egyptian pyramids and obelisks were coated with this metal. Both ‘electrum’ and ‘amber’ come from the same root word ‘ēléktōr’ which means ‘name of the sun’.

Also mentioned in Kostov’s article is the ‘Lychnis’ which is derived from the Greek word for ‘lamp’. In most cases it is linked to red minerals that are mostly transparent like garnets, ruby, spinel, pink tourmaline and zircon.

‘Eklogḗ’ is the Greek word for ‘election’ with accompanying meanings of ‘conscious choice’ and ‘process of choosing a new leader or representative’. ‘Electo’ is the Latin word with accompanying meanings of ‘choice’ and ‘selection’. ‘Comitia’ is the Latin word for the process of choosing an individual to hold public office by the population. (Glosbe Dictionary - All Languages of the World in One Place)

Now, a ‘Princeps Elector Imperii’ (Prince-elector, Kurfürst in German), or ‘elector’ for short, is one of the German princes of Imperial Estates (who had a higher ranking over other Imperial Princes) of the Holy Roman Empire who were entitled to elect the emperor from c. 1200 CE. I’m not saying there’s a connection with the ‘bestowing kingship’ ability from the Huma bird but I thought it was interesting since emperors, pharaohs and kings have long claimed divine lordship. (What does the Greek term "eklektos" mean?)

The Omphalos stone (at least c. 800 BCE) of Delphi, Greece seems to be similar to the Bennu stone. In the book “Epilegomena to the Study of Greek Religion and Themis” (1927), by Jane Ellen Harrison, she basically says an omphalos stone (a holy stone of the grave of the daimon-snake) is the capstone to a ‘beehive’ or conical shaped roof that domes a subterranean tomb, but on the surface all you can see is the stone (tumulus topped with a stele). An interesting example of this might be found at the Temple of Artemis Soteira at Keramikos, Athens from at least c. 200 CE. In 2012, archeologists uncovered a well that was only discovered after the omphalos stone covering the opening had been removed. It is believed that this well was used for hydromancy (prophecy by water). Keramikos is also the site of a sizeable cemetery that was organized c. 1200 BCE and unorganized since c. 3000 BCE. (photo)

She also mentions that a version of the tomb is a type of stone ‘money box’ in the shape of a beehive, one of which sat beside the temple of Delphi. Quoting the Roman scholar Marcus Terentius Varro (116- 27 BCE) (p. 399):

“What the Greeks call the omphalos is something at the side of the temple at Delphi, of the shape of a thesaurus, and they say it is the tumulus of Python.”

This ‘thesaurus’ (or ‘treasury’ eg: ‘Treasury/Tomb of Minyas’) or ‘money box’ sounds a bit like the ‘offering collection plates’ in church services, though in the case of the one at Delphi, the money offering is being collected in the “tumulus” of the sacred snake (Python) of Delphi just like the ‘collection box’ chained to the ‘omphalos’ in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. She then shows two examples of these stone, cone-shaped ‘money boxes’ one of which depicts an interesting scene engraved on the stone (p: 400):

“On the one (a) just below the hole for the money, is a shrine with Hermes holding purse and kerykeion; near him his cock.”

Doing a search for what a ‘rhabdos’ was (a rod with two snakes on the end that bend to look like the number ‘8’), since it was held by Hermes, and found, along with ‘Rhabdomancy’, something called ‘Rhabdoviridae’ which is a family of negative-strand RNA viruses in the order Mononegavirales commonly known as ‘rabies’. It derives its name from the Greek ‘rhabdos’ because of their shape, ‘a rod’. However, I noticed that it looked strikingly similar to something else that I had seen in Ward’s book on cylinder seals. I can’t say that there is a connection, but there sure is a likeness with what is called the ‘Tree of Life’ (which replaced the caduceus on Assyrian cylindar seals. (Frothingham, p.180))

Rhabdoviridae Image (resize).jpg Tree of Life.jpg

I came across a singular reference from, which states that the cock is ‘the drum of the world’. I do not understand this reference. The only thing I found, though I doubt this is what was meant, was within the action of the Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) that only resides in North America (mostly in Canada). In beating its wings in the air (without flying), it produces a sound that has been called drumming, earning it the nickname ‘Drummer’, ‘Thunder Chicken’ (which is the best name) and ‘Carpenter Bird’. As far as I can find, it is the only bird who does this. It is also a member of the order Galliformes and family Phasiandae, the same as the chicken. Watch this video starting at 2:20 to 3:56 for a good explanation:

(
).

I’ve actually heard this sound in the mountains and it is really unmistakable.

It’s quite amazing, I think, just how close our society mimics that of chicken society which we’ve named the ‘pecking order’, otherwise known as ‘dominance hierarchy’. A perfect example of this order is found in the structure of the military and government. I must admit, to base human society on an animal society shows the mind of the one who created it. I couldn’t help but think of the state of global control after reading this portion:

“Wild and feral chickens form relatively small groups, usually including no more than 10 to 20 individuals. It has been shown that in larger groups, which is common in farming, the dominance hierarchy becomes less stable and aggression increases.”

The deity Nabu became prominent among Babylonians and Assyrians in the 1st millennium BCE. He was the divine scribe who invented writing, was a god of rational arts and vegetation, was an oracle associated with the moon god Sin, and was associated with the planet Mercury. He was associated with the Greek gods Apollo and Hermes, the Roman Mercury and the Egyptian Thoth. The Akkadian word Nabu (semetic root: N-B) means “to announce, prophesize” or ‘prophet’. Nabu is Nebo in the Bible. Both Nabu and his father Marduk are depicted in Neo-Assyrian cylinder seals standing on a servant snake/dragon named Mušḫuššu (‘red snake’, ‘fierce snake’, ‘splendour serpent’), one of the offspring of Tiamat. Mušḫuššu’s other name was Sir-russu (Ward, p. 400) or Sirrush and sounds very similar to the Angel Surush from the c.1000 CE Persian poem Shahnameh, who’s equivalent is Zoroaster’s Sraosha, the messenger (psychopomp; “the medium between man and god”) of Ahura Mazda and the embodiment of the divine word. Don't know if there is anything more than 'sounds like'.

For an extensive collection of images of Dionysus see the site here (Dionysus - My Favourite Planet People).

This website on the Chinese zodiac highlights the current belief in the symbols. Although I cannot speak to the others, I found the rooster to be quite an interesting read after doing all this work because I can see where a lot of these traits might come from. A short read:

Justin the Gnostic (c. 2 CE) teaches about the ‘Angles of Elohim’ of which only five names have survived: Baruch, Michael, Gabriel, Amen and Esaddeus. The word ‘amen’ means ‘truth’ and is spoken after a prayer in the Christian religion. That Justin considers it an angel makes me think of all the ‘messenger gods’ who transport the prayer to whichever god the prayer or sacrifice or offering was aimed at. It’s like it’s god’s inter-office mail system that alludes the idea of ‘priority mail’. I didn’t know Amen was a ‘messenger god’ and now that I do, the whole idea of ‘messenger gods’ seems quite ridiculous to me. What’s the point?

Current estimates tally the global number of domestic chickens to around 23-25 billion.

cont...

Dessert

The PIE root for the word ‘stele’ (Greek stēlē: standing block, slab) is from *stel- (to stand, put in order). Two other words that derive from *stel- are: ‘apostle’ (messenger, envoy, person sent forth) and ‘epistle’ (message, letter, command, commission).

*teue-, *teu-’ is the PIE root for the word ‘tumulus’ (Latin: hillock, heap of earth, mound; also ‘tomb’) which means ‘to swell’ and is suggested it’s of pre-Greek (non-IE) origin.

*teue-' is also the root wood for ‘thigh’. I thought it was quite interesting since, in one version, Zeus sewed the infant Dionysus into his thigh. He was born with horns that looked like a crescent moon (Mesopotamian god Sin?), was crowned with ivy and flowers and had horned snakes wrapped around his own horns by the Houri. Dionysus is also considered to have been born, died and torn apart by titans, and born again. One of his epithets from Samnos and Lesbos is ‘Enorches’ (‘with balls’), “relating to his fertility, or ‘in the testicles’ in reference to Zeus’ sewing the baby Dionysus “into his thigh” (understood to mean his testicles).” (Dionysus - Wikipedia)

*teue-' is also the root word for ‘thumb’. Sabazios had the pinecone on the end of his thumb which looks identical to the pinecone on the end of Dionysus’ thyrsus. Due to the ‘secret handshakes’ and ‘gestures’ associated with Sabazios, giving someone a ‘thumbs up’ or ‘thumbs down’ might have a different, possibly phallic, meaning.

Etymology about the three staffs from Online Etymology Dictionary | Origin, history and meaning of English words:

The ‘caduceus is a c. 1590’s Latin alteration of the Doric Greek word ‘karykeion’ (heralds staff), from kēryx (genitive kērykos) meaning ‘a herald’ and is probably a pre-Greek word.

The ‘thyrsus’ is also a c. 1590’s Latinized form of the Greek word ‘thyrsos’ meaning ‘stalk or stem of a plant’ and, again, a pre-Greek word of unknown origin. This staff is usually shown as a straight pole of giant fennel with a pine-cone at the top, sometimes with ivy or vine-leaves, grapes, or taeniae (ribbon) added. This staff is carried by Dionysus and the Greek tragedian Euripides wrote that honey dripped from it. Dionysus’ Roman counterpart Bacchus augmented the staff by hiding a spear tip within the head of the cone and making it a ‘dangerous weapon’.

The ‘rhabdos’ from the Greek meaning "rod, wand; magic wand; fishing rod; spear-shaft; a staff of office; a rod for chastisement; twig, stick” and is from the PIE word ‘*wer- (2)’ with base roots meaning “to turn, bend” (source also of Lithuanian virbas "twig, branch, scion, rod," Latin verbena "leaves and branches of laurel”). The c. 1640’s word ‘rhabdomancy’ is "dowsing, use of a divining rod" (especially to find things hidden in the earth, ores or underground water), with -mancy "divination by means of" (from Greek manteia "divination, oracle”).

The PIE root for the word ‘phallus’ is ‘*bhel- (2)’ which means ‘to blow, swell’ (Greek ‘phalle’: ‘whale’ also Old Norse ‘boli’: bull)

There is a note on the Cleromancy wiki that mentions that “the Greek word for ‘lot’ (kleros) (as in ‘the casting of…’) serves as the etymological root for other English words like “cleric” and “clergy” as well as for “cleromancy”.”

The rooster was always associated with the sun, specifically the dawn. In ancient mythology, the earliest Proto-Indo-European representation of the dawn was in the feminine form with the (reconstructed PIE) name h2éwsōs or haéusōs (Hausos) creating many later variants of ‘dawn goddesses’ throughout Indo-European peoples and beyond (in Japan, the goddess Amaterasu (sun) and Uzume (dawn) have possible links to PIE mythology).

The Indo-Iranian variant, ‘Hušas’, splits in two: the Vedic ‘Uṣás’ and the Avestan ‘Ušå’.
The Hellenic variant, ‘Auhṓs, becomes the Greek ‘Ēṓs’.
The Italic variant, ‘Ausōs’, becomes the Roman ‘Aurōra’.

Some Chinese words from this dictionary (MDBG English to Chinese dictionary):

jī (雞) / (鸡) - chicken

jí (吉) - luck

jì (圻) - border, boundary

qí (圻) - border, boundary

qī / qí / jī (期) - period of time, cycle

qí (琪) - fine jade

qí (琦) - valuable stone

qì (气) - vital energy

qī (七) - seven

hán (晗) - pre-dawn, before daybreak

dàn (旦) - dawn, morning

dàn (石) - stone, rock

The word ‘hán’ is interesting because the German word hohn/hahn (pronounced ‘han’) derives from the Old Teutonic root *hanon/*hanan which means cock/hen, both which come from the PIE root *kan- which means ‘to sing’.

It is the hypothetical source of/evidence for its existence is provided by: Greek eikanos "cock," literally "bird who sings (for sunrise);" Latin cantare, canere "to sing;" Old Irish caniaid "sings," Welsh canu "sing;" Old English hana “cock."

The word ‘hán’ is also an Old English word for ‘a stone, rock , (boundary) stone’.

END :-)

Well, I did forget something. Mercury and Canis Minor. Mercury is a tough little bugger to see, but around August 6 (our calendar), as seen from Hilla, Iraq (closest city to Babylon) is when they rise together once a year. They set together around July 19.

Hillah, Iraq- Sky Aug. 6, 2020.jpg

Looking ENE, Hillah, Iraq, Aug. 6, 2020, 4:43 am. (Notice Venus on the club of Orion.)

It just occurred to me if Canis Minor might not be Nusku the lampstand? The constellation itself is just a straight line of two stars Procyon (magnitude 0.34, usually 8th brightest in the sky) and Gomeisa (magnitude 2.9) known as "The Twins". The two gods Girra and Gibil were fire gods and were depicted as a torch. They were eventually merged together and later merged again becoming the flame (Procyon? Because it's brighter?) on top of the oil lamp/lampstand Nusku. The rooster (Mercury and/or Canis Minor) is shown on a cylinder seal standing in place of Girra/Gibil.

Canis Minor wiki:
"Though strongly associated with the Classical Greek uranographic tradition, Canis Minor originates from ancient Mesopotamia. Procyon and Gomeisa were called MASH.TAB.BA or "twins" in the Three Stars Each tablets, dating to around 1100 BC. In the later MUL.APIN, this name was also applied to the pairs of Pi3 and Pi4 Orionis and Zeta and Xi Orionis. The meaning of MASH.TAB.BA evolved as well, becoming the twin deities Lulal and Latarak, who are on the opposite side of the sky from Papsukal, the True Shepherd of Heaven in Babylonian mythology. Canis Minor was also given the name DAR.LUGAL, its position defined as "the star which stands behind it [Orion]", in the MUL.APIN; the constellation represents a rooster. This name may have also referred to the constellation Lepus. DAR.LUGAL was also denoted DAR.MUŠEN and DAR.LUGAL.MUŠEN in Babylonia. Canis Minor was then called tarlugallu in Akkadian astronomy."

There is also a meteor shower that is associated with Canis Minor known as the Canis-Minorids peaking around Dec. 10-11.

Back
Top Bottom