The cock, divine symbol?

Kisito

Jedi Council Member
The rooster (cock)is the symbol of France, but it was the symbol of Gaul, ie the Celts.
Suetonius in his Lives of the Twelve Caesars, pointed out that in Latin, Gallic rooster and said they were both "gallus mallus ortinigus". The rooster is described as fighter and proud, perhaps as we described the French ... During the French Revolution, he takes an important place for the Franco-Gallic people. The question one can ask is why this short bass animal, -it is the emblem of the revolt, the struggle and pride? I think the answer lies in the song of cock. Let me explain:

Two weeks ago, I was at a friend's short stay in the Champagne-Ardenne region of France. The night I had a dream where I was a rooster. I was a cock and it did not seem strange to me, but I was upset about something, I have to wake people up at 5 am. But I knew that this was my mission, and I had to wake men and women. But another entity wanted to stop me, and let humans sleep quietly. This entity like me, it was also a bird. I feel guilty to awaken men and women, and also to oppose this entity.

In the morning when I wake up the dream remains very sensitive in me. In the evening in the courtyard garden of this friend, the stars were very visible, and we had difficulty seeing us as the darkness was penetrating. I show him the constellation Cassiopeia. At that moment a huge bird passes close to us, my friend told me it was an owl.

I realized then that this animal that caused me to wake humanity was the owl, animal O how esoteric, and is the symbol of obscure and secret societies.

I realized that it was the old struggle of darkness and light.

Owl tries to keep us under the veil of light and preserve our forgotten and ignorance. The rooster is the symbol of the awakening of humanity.

I am not the cock, nor I who must awaken humanity, but he seemed to be aware of this symbol that the Celts (Gauls Coq) knew. The struggle of good against evil or the awakening of humanity.

As a coincidence, this week I'm back with my son, to show the huge lake of 80 km in circumference, which was nearby. And I saw that the lake is called the Lake or Lake der chantecoq (whoop). So I asked the locals about the origin of the name. A man told me that the roosters were always on top of the churches, to protect the inhabitants. It thus appears that protection is the awakening is the same thing. As the Cassiopaeans said, "knowledge protects", which should lead to the revival.

Thank you Kisito for sharing your account of this fascinating dream. The cock is one of my own favorite symbols and they are scattered around my kitchen reminding me that the dawn will arrive and the light will always part the darkness. :)

http://www.dictionnairedessymboles.fr/article-le-symbolisme-du-coq-61928839.html
Hello trobar, this is a french post, but if you can translate, it's very intresting.

Kisito!

Will you be the individual that re-awakens my very small high school French? (grin) :lol:

I only read the first paragraph and although I do understand about 60% of what I read in French, if I read and re-read, I do grasp most of the fundamental meaning! I must leave for work now and on a "good" day, I drive east and see the color red (rouge) in the clouds as the sun rises announcing the glorious dawn.

Thank you for the link and I am already fascinated by the content!

I know this is an old thread but rather then start a new one I thought it would fit to post here.

For the past 8 days, I spent my time researching the etymology and meaning of my first and last name which I posted here. The beginning of my last name means cock/rooster and during my research I ran into a lot of other references to the cock which I'd like to share. It's not really that much and perhaps a lot of this is already known. Never-the-less, I'll start with this:

Etymology of Rooster:

Roost:
late Old English hrost "wooden framework of a roof, perch for domestic fowl," from Proto-Germanic *hro(d)-st- (source also of Old Saxon hrost "framework of a roof, attic," Middle Dutch, Flemish, Dutch roest "roost," Old Norse hrot, Gothic hrot "roof," of unknown origin. Exact relationship and ulterior connections unknown. Extended sense "hen-house" is from 1580s. To rule the roost is recorded from 1769. (LINK)

Rooster: 1772, agent noun from roost (v.); earlier roost cock, c. 1600, in sense of "the roosting bird." Favored in the U.S. originally as a puritan alternative to cock (n.) after it had acquired the secondary sense "penis" (and compare roach). (LINK)

Cock (1): “male of the domestic fowl," from Old English cocc "male bird," Old French coc (12c., Modern French coq), Old Norse kokkr, all of echoic origin. Compare Albanian kokosh "cock," Greek kikkos, Sanskrit kukkuta, Malay kukuk. "Though at home in English and French, not the general name either in Teutonic or Romanic; the latter has derivatives of L. gallus, the former of OTeut. *hanon-" [OED]; compare hen.

Cock (3): The male of the domestic fowl (along with the bull) has been associated in many lands since ancient times with male vigor and especially the membrum virile, but the exact connection is not clear (the cock actually has no penis) unless it be his role as fertilizer of the domestic hens, and there may be some influence from cock (n.2) in the "tap" sense. (LINK)

Hen: "the female of the domestic fowl," Old English henn "hen," from West Germanic *hannjo (source also of Old Frisian henn, Middle Dutch henne, Old High German henna), fem. of *hanan- "male fowl, cock" (source of Old English hana "cock"), literally "bird who sings (for sunrise)," from PIE root *kan- "to sing.”

The original masculine word survives in German (Hahn "cock"), Swedish, Danish, etc. German also has a generic form, Huhn, for either gender of the bird. Extension to "female of any bird species" is early 14c. in English. (LINK)

Chicken: Old English cicen (plural cicenu) "young of the domestic hen, the young of any bird;" by early Middle English, "any chicken," regardless of age, from Proto-Germanic *kiukinam (source also of Middle Dutch kiekijen, Dutch kieken, Old Norse kjuklingr, Swedish kyckling, German Küken "chicken"), from root *keuk- (echoic of the bird's sound and possibly also the root of cock (n.1)) + diminutive suffixes. By regular sound changes it should have become Modern English *chichen; the reason it didn't is unknown.
Generic words for "chicken" in Indo-European tend to be extended uses of "hen" words, as hens are more numerous than cocks among domestic fowl, but occasionally they are from words for the young, as in English and in Latin (pullus). Meaning "one who is cowardly or timorous" is from 1610s; adjectival sense of "cowardly" is at least as old as 14c. (compare hen-herte "a chicken-hearted person," mid-15c.). As the name of a game of danger to test courage, it is first recorded 1953. (LINK)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the 'Cultural References to Chickens' wiki (which has a lot of stuff) here's just two different views:

Zoroastrianism, claimed to be "the oldest of the revealed world-religions" and founded by the Prophet Zoroaster (or Zarathustra) opposed animal sacrifices but held the rooster as a "symbol of light" and associated the cock with "good against evil" because of his heraldic actions. In Iran during the Kianian Period, from about 2000 B.C. to about 700 B.C., among domestic birds, "the cock was the most sacred" and within that religion, the devout, "had a cock to guard him and ward off evil spirits".

In the sixth century, it is reputed that Pope Gregory I declared the cock the emblem of Christianity saying the rooster was "the most suitable emblem of Christianity", being "the emblem of St Peter". Some say that it was as a result of this that the cock began to be used as a weather vane on church steeples, and some a Papal enactment of the ninth century ordered the figure of the cock to be placed on every church steeple.

The "emblem of St. Peter" is derived from the "Denial of Peter":
Following the arrest of Jesus, Peter denied knowing him three times, but after the third denial, he heard the rooster crow and recalled the prediction as Jesus turned to look at him. Peter then began to cry bitterly. This final incident is known as the Repentance of Peter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Kisito: In relation to your dream, you might find #2 interesting.

What is the position of rooster in Zoroastrian religion? (LINK)

1. In the Avesta, the rooster is known as paro-darsh, which literally means “he who foresees the coming dawn.” Its main function is to crow at dawn to scare away Bushyãsta, the demon of sloth and laziness.

2. While the demon Bushyãsta makes people drowsy and puts them to sleep, the rooster wakes up people by crowing. While crowing at dawn it seems to say “Oh men! Wake up. Sleeping for long is not good for you.” However, lazy people do not appreciate the rooster waking them up. So they rebuke it by calling it Kahrkatas “a croaker.”

3. Being an opponent of an evil being, a rooster naturally becomes an ally of the good divine forces of the Universe. It has a special connection to Sarosh Yazad. It is said to be the keenest and most faithful follower of Sarosh Yazad, and is considered one of his closest allies.

4. It is believed that the rooster protects the world from the evils of Zohak, who is bound under the Demavand mountain [*my note: by King Faredoon] and is waiting to unleash his evils on the world by trying to free himself. Tradition has it that throughout the night Zohak tries to free himself by licking at his chains making them thin, but as they are about to snap, dawn draws near, and the crowing of the rooster foils his attempts to escape and his chains resume their thickness. Actually the crowing of the rooster indicates the rising of the sun, and it is the good energy of the sun that neutralises the strength of evil collected during the night.

5. Another oral tradition associated with the rooster in Parsi culture is that one should not eat a rooster, the reason being that it is a representative of Sarosh Yazad and an opponent of Bushyāst dev.

6. The rooster is highly regarded at the Pier-e-Banu Pars in Yazd, Iran. When princess Banu Pars was fleeing the Arabs, night came on, and the exhausted princess went to sleep on the mountains. In the morning, the tired Banu Pars was not able to wake up and the pursuing Arabs came close to her. It was at that time that the rooster crowed and woke her up, and she was able to escape the clutches of the Arabs.

Point #4 above made me think of this discussion with the C's from 19 July, 1997:

Q: Okay. Change gears: Why is the rooster, or the crowing of the rooster, associated with the idea of underground cities, civilizations, or bases?

A: What causes the rooster to crow?

Q: Light. But, how is light related to an underground city?

A: Tis not just light, but the emergence of light from the depths of the darkness.

Q: Are there such things as 'DEROS,' as described in this underground bases book?

A: Detrimental Robots.

Q: Are DEROS part of the underground city/bases scenario?

A: Yup.

While running through an Old English dictionary for the words cock/rooster I came across a very interesting and solitary word that popped up in the results list for 'hana' (rooster): the word ‘hán’ which means ‘(boundary-) stone’.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.24.49 AM.png

Now I actually thought that this was a very interesting meaning. And later on, I found this from the Orion wiki:

“The Babylonian star catalogues of the Late Bronze Age name Orion MULSIPA.ZI.AN.NA, "The Heavenly Shepherd" or "True Shepherd of Anu" – Anu being the chief god of the heavenly realms. The Babylonian constellation is sacred to Papshukal and Ninshubur, both minor gods fulfilling the role of 'messenger to the gods'. Papshukal is closely associated with the figure of a walking bird on Babylonian boundary stones, and on the star map the figure of the Rooster is located below and behind the figure of the True Shepherd—both constellations represent the herald of the gods, in his bird and human forms respectively.” (Babylonian Star-lore by Gavin White, Solaria Pubs, 2008, page 218ff & 170)

In the "Prehistoric Astronomy and the Younger Dryas Catastrophe?" thread, @Michael B-C posts the star map that Gavin White recreated. In the map you can see the rooster and the "True Shepherd" at the 4 o'clock position.

Now, I'm just gonna float this idea with a lot of helium: the thought occurred to me if the god Papshukal and Sarosh Yazad (from Zoroaster #3 above) might not be the same 'god'?

Much is made about the Greek god of medicine Asclepius (son of Apollo and Coronis) and his staff with the snake coiled around it. There are two other animals that are apparently associated with Asclepius, if you didn’t already know. (LINK):

“Additionally, he was also said to be associated with dogs (Cartwright, 2013). Lastly, and less commonly noted, there was also been mention of relations to the cock in some writings (Lagasse, 2017).”

“According to Risse (1999), cockerels were identified with dawn. The cock is allegedly the animal that spans darkness and light and accordingly, day and night (Tick, 2001).”

There is the Gnostic deity(?) Abraxas. I haven't read much about it and so I'm not sure what to think.
1620539826850.png

The idea of the word ‘cock’ taking on a vulgar meaning in the 17th-18th centuries and it's subsequent replacement word 'rooster' has a vague history. My thoughts on how it happened have something to do with the spur, or cockspur… oh, excuse me, rooster spur.

Rooster spurs.jpg

I’ve been looking for a 15th/16th+ century book with an illustration showing the anatomy of a rooster with Latin words thinking that that might shed some light on the matter but I have not been able to find one. Perhaps the image might give you an idea of my line of thought. But for now, I only have a Latin word: ‘calcar: spur of a cock’.

Finally, I'll finish with a fun tail attributed to Aesop that is derived from an older tail.

The Cock and the Fox

A fox was trotting past a farmyard early one morning when when he heard a cock crowing. Upon investigation he found that chanticleer was perched in a tall tree far out of reach of anyone who might be entertaining thoughts of having him for breakfast.

"Why, cousin cock," the fox called up to the bird in the tall tree, "what a pleasure it is to see you! Won't you come down and let me greet you properly?”

"I would love to ," replied the cock (who was no fool), "but, as you know, there are some animals who would like nothing better than to grab me and eat me.”

"Why, my dear cousin," exclaimed the fox, "do you mean to say you haven't heard the news? All the animals have agreed to live in peace with one another.”

While the fox was speaking, the cock kept craning his neck as though he could see something very interesting in the distance. Naturally, the fox was consumed with curiosity.

”Cousin, what in the world do you see up there that is so interesting?”

"Oh, nothing much- just a pack of hounds headed in this direction and coming at a fast clip," said the cock.

"Please excuse me," said the fox nervously. "I just thought of something I had forgotten.”

"What's the hurry?" asked the cock. "I was just coming down for a talk. You don't mean to say that you have anything to be afraid of now that you know about the wonderful peace plan?”

"Well," replied that fox, as he started to run, "maybe those hounds haven't heard about it yet!

("Aesop's Fables" (Illustrated Junior Library)- Illustrated by Fritz Kredel- Grosset & Dunlap, Inc.- 1949)

Cook-a-doodle-do 🐓

I thought I might give a look into the Abraxas (or Abrasax) image and see if I could find anything in Zoroastianism. I had searched for 'rooster' there. Maybe I would get lucky with the 'snake'? Well, not really. But I did find the Zohak story that really filled in the background for point #4:

4. It is believed that the rooster protects the world from the evils of Zohak, who is bound under the Demavand mountain [*my note: by King Faredoon] and is waiting to unleash his evils on the world by trying to free himself. Tradition has it that throughout the night Zohak tries to free himself by licking at his chains making them thin, but as they are about to snap, dawn draws near, and the crowing of the rooster foils his attempts to escape and his chains resume their thickness.

Abul-Qâsem Ferdowsi Tusi (c. 935-1026), a Persian poet, wrote one of the world's longest epic poems titled Shahnameh ("Book of Kings") written around 1000 AD. He wrote "Zahhak the Snake Shoulder" which is the expanded version of the original story found in the Avesta texts of Zoroastianism. The main character is given the name Zahhak (aka: Aži Dahāka, Dahāg) and is changed from a supernatural monster into an evil human being. I found both versions to be very interesting but for here I'm going to post the 'stripped down' version that gets the basic storyline, though it is weaker without the fine details.

The Story of Zahhak- Retold by Rebecca Cann

Many years ago, there lived an Arab ruler names Mardash who had a son with the name of Zahhak. Zahhak was a really nice person until Ahriman, the Evil Spirit, persuaded him to kill his father.

After Mardash’s death, Zahhak became ruler. Ahriman once again appeared to him as a cook and made delicious meals for him. Zahhak asked Ahriman what he wants as his prize for the wonderful meals he had prepared. Ahriman just asked Zahhak to kiss his shoulders. After Ahriman kissed Zahhak’s shoulders, he disappeard. But suddenly two vicious black snakes grew from Zahhak’s shoulders.

Zahhak was terrified and didn't know what to do with the snakes. Ahriman once again appeared to him as a physician.
He told Zahhak that the only way to control the snakes is to feed them human brain every day otherwise the snakes would eat Zahhak himself.

So Zahhak started killing young men and feeding their brains to the evil snakes. Meanwhile, he decided to wage a war against Jamshid, the ruler of the world. Zahhak gathered a huge army and defeated Jamashid in a fierce battle. After killing Jamshid, Zahhak became the ruler of the world and took Jamshid’s daughters, Arnavaz and Shahrnavaz as his slaves.

Zahhak’s tyranny lasted for many years until one day he saw a horrible dream. He called the dream-readers who told him someone named Feryadoun will eventually defeat him. Zahhak got frightened and searched for Feryadoun everywhere until he was told that Feryadoun was just a boy living in the Alborz Mountains. Zahhak made several attempts to find Feryadoun but couldn’t find him anywhere.

Years passed and one day a blacksmith named Kaveh came to Zahhak’s court. Kaveh told Zahhak that he had eighteen sons and all but one had been given to the snakes. Zahhak forgave Kaveh’s last son but asked Kaveh to sign a petition telling everyone how righteous and forgiving he was.

Kaveh knew Zahhak was lying so he refused to sign his letter. Instead he tore it up to pieces, ran out of the royal court, and raised his blacksmith apron as a standard of rebellion. He called on everyone to support him in finding Feryadoun. People named Kaveh’s apron Darafsh e Kaviani which mean's Kaveh's flag.

Many people followed Kaveh to the Alborz Mountains to help him find Feryadoun. After much searching, they found the young Feryadoun who agreed to destroy Zahhak. In a battle, Feryadoun captured Zahhak and imprisoned him in a cave in Mount Damavand. He then freed Jamshid’s two daughters and brought freedom and happiness to Iran.

And they lived happily ever after... until:

The Middle Persian sources also prophesy that at the end of the world, Dahāg (Zahhak) will at last burst his bonds and ravage the world, consuming one in three humans and livestock. Kirsāsp, the ancient hero who had killed the Az ī Srūwar, returns to life to kill Dahāg.

There are two other Cocks of note that I have found from Norse Mythology.

Víðópnir:
In Norse mythology, Víðópnir is a mythological bird. According to Fjölsvinnsmál, Víðópnir or Víðófnir is a rooster that inhabits the crown of the world tree, variously represented as a falcon, sitting between the eyes of the cosmic eagle Hræsvelgr at the top of Mímameiðr, a tree taken to be identical with the World Tree Yggdrasil. Viðópnir occurs in merely one other norse medieval source, a tiny phrase in Snorri Sturluson's Eddu-brot, where it guards the gate to the lands where in Hél's Hell lies, Gjalllandi. Viðópnir seems rather identical to Veðrfölnir and the eagle

... and Gullinkambi:
In Norse mythology, Gullinkambi (Old Norse "golden comb") is a rooster who lives in Valhalla. In the Poetic Edda poem 'Völuspá,' Gullinkambi is one of the three roosters whose crowing is foretold to signify the beginning of the events of Ragnarök. The other two roosters are Fjalar in the wood Gálgviðr, and an unnamed soot-red rooster in Hel:

Benjamin Thorpe translation:
Crowed o'er the Æsir Gullinkambi,
which wakens heroes with the sire of hosts;
but another crows beneath the earth,
a soot-red cock, in the halls of Hel.
Henry Adams Bellows translation:
Then to the gods crowed Gollinkambi,
He wakes the heroes in Othin's hall;
And beneath the earth does another crow,
The rust-red bird at the bars of Hel.

It has been suggested that the central tree depicted in the Överhogdal tapestries is the world tree Yggdrasil and that the bird at the top is Gullinkambi.

What!? 'Good cock' / 'Bad cock'? That is really different! Everywhere I look I find the cock/rooster intricately tied to the breaking light of dawn and symobized as a ward against evil. Where the heck did 'Bad cock' come from? This 'soot-red' rooster has no name but it does make me think that the rooster might have a possibly neutral meaning?

Here is the same thing just worded differently (LINK):

"Golden comb." The golden rooster whose crowing at the time of Ragnarök shall waken the Æsir and the host of heroes in Odin's hall. The same stanza mentions another rooster with a similar function, namely a rust-red bird beneath the earth, at the bars of Hel. The name of this bird, who wakes the people of Hel's domain, is nowhere stated.

So, each side has it's own 'messenger of the gods'...

Yes. Hermes (along with several others). I think got it:

"His attributes and symbols include... the rooster..."

I'm pretty slow, and I think I just proved it. But I did get there (at least a part of it.)

This whole thing makes me wonder if the Cock/Rooster might be an old symbol for Sky Trumpets?

Btw, the third rooster mentioned at the time of Ragnarök is,

Fjalar:

"Hider", "Deceiver." The bright red rooster who lives in Gálgviðr and whose crowing wakes the jötnar for the final struggle of Ragnarök.

who lives in,
Gálgviðr:

"Gallows-wood." A wood in Jötunheimr where the bright red rooster Fjalarr lives whose crowing will herald the onset of Ragnarök.

that is located in,
Jötunheimr:

"Giant-home." In Norse mythology, one of the nine worlds and the realm of the jötnar, the race of giants. It lies beneath the second of the three roots of Yggdrasil. Beneath this root lies also the Mímisbrunnr. Jötunheimr is separated from Miðgarðr, the world of man, by various rivers, such as the river Ífingr, but a wood called Járnviðr is often mentioned to serve a similar function. Another river that runs through Jötunheimr is the Vimur. ...

and is (obviously) inhabited by,
jötunn:
"Giant." The common noun for a giant. They inhabit Jötunheimr, one of the nine worlds of Norse cosmology. They are the descendants of the primordial giant Ymir, the first being. Snorri Sturluson writes in Gylfaginning that as Ymir slept, a sweat came upon him, and there grew under his left hand a man and a woman, and one of his feet begat a son with the other; and thus the races are come; these are the Rime-Giants. ...

Last edited:
Well, I know I don't "got it" yet.

In trying to figure out whatever I'm trying to figure out, I decide to come up with a list of 'messengers of the gods' and see what happens. The cock/rooster does not show up very much but there were some other interesting things I ran into that might be related. I don't know yet.

Messengers of the Gods List

Sarosh Yazad- 3. Being an opponent of an evil being, a rooster naturally becomes an ally of the good divine forces of the Universe. It has a special connection to Sarosh Yazad. It is said to be the keenest and most faithful follower of Sarosh Yazad, and is considered one of his closest allies.

Ninshubur
- was the sukkal (vizier) or second-in-command of the goddess Inanna in Sumerian mythology. Ninshubur served not only as Inanna's servant but also as a messenger to the assembly of the gods, similar to Greek Hermes or Iris. "In Sumerian mythology, Ninshubur is portrayed as "unshakeably loyal" in her devotion to her mistress. In addition to being a source of great wisdom and knowledge. Ninshubur was also a warrior goddess. She was the guardian and messenger of the god An. She is said to have walked in front of An wherever he went, a position traditionally reserved for a bodyguard.”

Papsukkal- the messenger god in the Akkadian pantheon. He is identified in late Akkadian texts and is known chiefly from the Hellenistic period. His consort is Amasagnul, and he acts as both messenger and gatekeeper for the rest of the pantheon. Papsukkal was syncretized with Ninshubur, the messenger of the goddess Inanna. [*Note: The rooster was closely associated with him.]

Angelia- In Greek mythology, Angelia was a daughter of Hermes, the messenger of the gods. She was the daemon of messages, tidings, and proclamations. She is not well known: one of the few references that proclaim her existence is a Greek lyric from the 5th century BC.

Iris- In Greek mythology, Iris is the personification and goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the [Olympian] gods. [*Note: Had golden wings.]… While Iris was principally associated with communication and messages, she was also believed to aid in the fulfillment of humans' prayers, either by fulfilling them herself or by bringing them to the attention of other deities.

Arke- In ancient Greek mythology, Arke or Arce, was a daughter of Thaumas and fraternal twin of Iris. She is sometimes affiliated with the faded second rainbow sometimes seen in the shadow of the first. During the Titanomachy, she sided with the Titans against the Olympian gods; she became the messenger for the Titans, while Iris became the messenger of the Olympian Gods. [*Note: Had iridescent wings.]

Turms- In Etruscan religion, Turms was the equivalent of Roman Mercury and Greek Hermes, both gods of trade and the messenger god between people and gods. He was depicted with the same distinctive attributes as Hermes and Mercury: a caduceus, a petasos (often winged), and/or winged sandals. He is portrayed as a messenger of the gods, particularly [to] Tinia (Jupiter), although he is also thought to be ‘at the service’ (ministerium) of other deities.

Etruscan artwork often depicts Turms in his role as psychopomp, conducting the soul into the afterlife. In this capacity he is sometimes shown on Etruscan sarcophagi—in one case side by side with Charun and Cerberus. In another depiction, in which the god is labelled as 𐌕𐌖𐌓𐌌𐌑 𐌀𐌉𐌕𐌀𐌑 Turmś Aitaś or ‘Turms of Hades’, he brings the shade of Tiresias to consult with Odysseus in the underworld. Turms also appears in images depicting the Judgement of Paris, as well as in scenes with Hercle (Heracles) or Perseus.

The name Turms is of distinctively Etruscan origin, like that of Fufluns but in contrast to deities such as Hercle and Aplu (Apollo), whose names were borrowed from Greek.

Turms is known more from decoration on everyday objects, such as mirrors, than from cult images, although one dedication has been taken to indicate the existence of a temple of Turms at Cortona.

Mercury- Mercury is a major god in Roman religion and mythology, being one of the 12 Dii Consentes within the ancient Roman pantheon. He is the god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence, messages, communication (including divination), travellers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld.

In Roman mythology, he was considered to be either the son of Maia, one of the seven daughters of the Titan Atlas, and Jupiter, or of Caelus and Dies. In his earliest forms, he appears to have been related to the Etruscan deity Turms; both gods share characteristics with the Greek god Hermes. He is often depicted holding the caduceus in his left hand. Similar to his Greek equivalent Hermes, he was awarded a magic wand by Apollo, which later turned into the caduceus, the staff with intertwined snakes.

Hermes- an Olympian deity in ancient Greek religion and mythology. Hermes is considered the herald of the gods. He is also considered the protector of human heralds, travellers, thieves,[3] merchants, and orators. He is able to move quickly and freely between the worlds of the mortal and the divine, aided by his winged sandals. Hermes plays the role of the psychopomp or "soul guide" — a conductor of souls into the afterlife.

In myth, Hermes functioned as the emissary and messenger of the gods, and was often presented as the son of Zeus and Maia, the Pleiad. He is regarded as "the divine trickster," for which Homer offers the most popular account in his Hymn to Hermes.
His attributes and symbols include the herma, the rooster, the tortoise, satchel or pouch, talaria (winged sandals), and winged helmet or simple petasos, as well as the palm tree, goat, the number four, several kinds of fish, and incense. However, his main symbol is the caduceus, a winged staff intertwined with two snakes copulating and carvings of the other gods. His attributes had previously influenced the earlier Etruscan god Turms, a name borrowed from the Greek “herma".

In Roman mythology, Hermes was known as Mercury, a name derived from the Latin merx, meaning "merchandise," and the origin of the words "merchant" and “commerce.”

Hathor- was a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion who played a wide variety of roles. As a sky deity, she was the mother or consort of the sky god Horus and the sun god Ra, both of whom were connected with kingship, and thus she was the symbolic mother of their earthly representatives, the pharaohs. She was one of several goddesses who acted as the Eye of Ra [*Note: see “Pineal gland depicted by the "eye of Ra”?” thread], Ra's feminine counterpart, and in this form she had a vengeful aspect that protected him from his enemies. Her beneficent side represented music, dance, joy, love, sexuality, and maternal care, and she acted as the consort of several male deities and the mother of their sons. These two aspects of the goddess exemplified the Egyptian conception of femininity. Hathor crossed boundaries between worlds, helping deceased souls in the transition to the afterlife.

Hermanubis- In classical mythology, Hermanubis was a god who combined Hermes (Greek mythology) with Anubis (Egyptian mythology).

Hermes' and Anubis's similar responsibilities (they were both conductors of souls) led to the god Hermanubis. He was popular during the period of Roman domination over Egypt. Depicted having a human body and a jackal head, with the sacred caduceus that belonged to the Greek god Hermes, he represented the Egyptian priesthood. He engaged in the investigation of truth.

———————————————————————————————————————

Creating the above list, I kept running into the word 'psychopomp'. I've run into that word in Laura's books a few times and on the forum. Never knew what it ment. It makes sense, now, that it would be used in reference with 'messengers'.

Psychopomp- (from the Greek word ψυχοπομπός, psychopompós, literally meaning the 'guide of souls') are creatures, spirits, angels, or deities in many religions whose responsibility is to escort newly deceased souls from Earth to the afterlife. Their role is not to judge the deceased, but simply to guide them. Appearing frequently on funerary art, psychopomps have been depicted at different times and in different cultures as anthropomorphic entities, horses, deer, dogs, whip-poor-wills, ravens, crows, vultures, owls, sparrows, and cuckoos. When seen as birds, they are often seen in huge masses, waiting outside the home of the dying.

———————————————————————————————————————

I find it a bit interesting that the fraternal twin sisters (*Note: Janus?), Iris and Arke, share a similar story to the two roosters in the Norse poem I posted earlier. Iris, with her golden wings, sides with the Olympians while her sister, Arke and her iridescent wings side with the Titans. Whereas in the Norse mythology, Gullinkambi ("golden comb”) wakens the Æsir and the host of heroes in Odin’s hall” while the rust-red/soot-red cock does the same with the members of Hel’s domain.

Alright. It was staring me in the face and I was too focused elsewhere to see. If I just read a little further I would have found some clues.

First:
While running through an Old English dictionary for the words cock/rooster I came across a very interesting and solitary word that popped up in the results list for 'hana' (rooster): the word ‘hán’ which means ‘(boundary-) stone’.

From the Hermes wiki:

[A] Herm of Hermes. Roman copy from the Hermes Propyleia of Alcamenes, 50–100 AD.

1620873039536.png

As a god of boundaries

"In Ancient Greece, Hermes was a phallic god of boundaries. His name, in the form herma, was applied to a wayside marker pile of stones and each traveler added a stone to the pile. In the 6th century BC, Hipparchos, the son of Pisistratus, replaced the cairns that marked the midway point between each village deme at the central agora of Athens with a square or rectangular pillar of stone or bronze topped by a bust of Hermes with a beard. An erect phallus rose from the base. In the more primitive Mount Kyllini or Cyllenian herms, the standing stone or wooden pillar was simply a carved phallus. "That a monument of this kind could be transformed into an Olympian god is astounding," Walter Burkert remarked. In Athens, herms were placed outside houses, both as a form of protection for the home, a symbol of male fertility, and as a link between the household and its gods with the gods of the wider community.

In 415 BC, when the Athenian fleet was about to set sail for Syracuse during the Peloponnesian War, all of the Athenian hermai were vandalized one night. The Athenians at the time believed it was the work of saboteurs, either from Syracuse or from the anti-war faction within Athens itself. Socrates' pupil Alcibiades was suspected of involvement, and Socrates indirectly paid for the impiety with his life."

Socrates was tried, found guilty and forced to drink Hemlock. Apparently before he died in prison, his last words to one of his followers was: “Crito, I owe the sacrifice of a rooster to Asklepios; will you pay that debt and not neglect to do so?" Asclepius, whom I mentioned in my first post, is the Greek god of medicine who holds a staff with a snake coiled around it, is associated with dogs and roosters, and is one of the sons of Apollo. Very similar to Hermes. I'm not quite sure if the term 'sacrifice' has the 'accepted meaning' here.

The Cock or Rooster is one of his symbols which means he is associated with the boundary between night and day as well. When it comes to the idea of boundaries, in this realm of surfaces, there are boundaries abound! Land/sea, planets/space, as well as physical/not-so-physical boundaries, perhaps (like night and day, for instance).

Next:
The idea of the word ‘cock’ taking on a vulgar meaning in the 17th-18th centuries and it's subsequent replacement word 'rooster' has a vague history.

As a chthonic and fertility god

Beginning with the earliest records of his worship, Hermes has been understood as a chthonic ("deity or spirit of the underworld") deity. As a chthonic deity, the worship of Hermes also included an aspect relating to fertility, with the phallus being included among his major symbols. The inclusion of phallic imagery associated with Hermes and placed, in the form of herma, at the entrances to households may reflect a belief in ancient times that Hermes was a symbol of the household's fertility, specifically the potency of the male head of the household in producing children.

The association between Hermes and the underworld is related to his function as a god of boundaries (the boundary between life and death), but he is considered a psychopomp, a deity who helps guide souls of the deceased to the afterlife, and his image was commonly depicted on gravestones in classical Greece.

So, take a few of his symbols and associations, add the visable 'herm' statues to the mix and over a long period of time, it is possible to create a definition (another type of boundary... weird, that just popped in there) that is a corruption (Cock= Physical Phallus/male sexual energy) of the original (Cock= the symbol of the 'Rooster'). I guess what I'm trying to do is find the original.

Now that I have this info, the 'corruption' of the name Hohn (that changed from 'Cock' to 'scorn/mock/derision') is more interesting and less of a mystery. I still don't know how, or clearly why, it happened, though.

Finally:

Kriophoros Hermes (which takes the lamb), late-Roman copy of Greek original from the 5th century BC. Barracco Museum, Rome

1620877964277.png

As a shepherd god

Hermes was known as the patron god of flocks, herds, and shepherds, an attribute possibly tied to his early origin as an aspect of Pan. In Boeotia, Hermes was worshiped for having saved the town from a plague by carrying a ram or calf around the city walls. A yearly festival commemorated this event, during which a lamb would be carried around the city by "the most handsome boy" and then sacrificed, in order to purify and protect the city from disease, drought, and famine. Numerous depictions of Hermes as a shepherd god carrying a lamb on his shoulders (Hermes kriophoros) have been found throughout the Mediterranean world, and it is possible that the iconography of Hermes as "The Good Shepherd" had an influence on early Christianity, specifically in the description of Christ as "the Good Shepherd" in the Gospel of John.

This sounds like a Judeo/Christian corruption with animal sacrifice to 'appease the gods'. It's like, if the symbol of the rooster is lost, turn it into a sacrifice. It's also interesting that in German there is the first name Hans (which sounds just like Hohn/Hahn only with an 's'). Hans is short for Johann/Johannes which means John (the Baptist). And that becomes Cock/Rooster/Hermes/John the Baptist all smashed together (John the Baptist = Hermes?)

I wonder if there is a person names Hans Johannes Hahn?

Last edited:
I had a dream last night.

I had stopped at the end of a gravel driveway. I was on solid ground driving a yellow/orange, self-powered, three-wheeled trike with really long front forks, and the seat very low to the ground. The tires were like balls, spheres with cuts in them like a 'whirlybird' on its side so as to grip the ground. Before me was a great field of short green grass covering flatland and rolling hills under a clear blue sky. There was no road to turn onto. Only green as far as the eye could see.

I was waiting for another driver of a very similar vehicle to pass by first before I turned onto the road that wasn't there. The driver of the other trike was a woman, I believe, but I didn't get a good look. She drove from my right, travelling to my left with the wheels 'splashing' deep ruts in the ground as if driving through thick slush on a road. She was moving at a fairly quick pace without any difficulty.

Once she had passed, I turned onto her two wide tracks and travelled in the same direction, with the distance between us increasing quickly. I was peddling along, with no one else around me that I knew of, at an easy pace, with mud being thrown to the sides by the tires, without much difficulty, but the tracks ahead of me were filling up with water. From what I remember, I think the woman well in front of me now had stopped and talked to a few other people on similar trikes who had joined her at the bottom of a low hill. I'm not sure what happened but I think they all when over the hill together (?) on the same track (?). As I came up to the water in the tracks I got stuck and couldn't move.

I managed to somehow get myself turned sideways and found that the only movement I could make was backwards. So, peddling backwards with considerable effort, I made a 90 degree tangent from the tracks to the right and continued. I had made a turn so that I was now travelling, with some distance between but parallel to the woman's tracks, backwards up the hill.

At some point at the top or near the top of the hill, I had turned myself around and was again travelling at an easy pace on more solid ground, and arrived at some kind of outdoor 'station' (maybe?) with lots of people around. Somehow I 'left' my trike and 'landed' between two people by 'sliding' onto the bench.

So, I got on a track that was 'grooved' by someone before me that made it easier for me to travel. But I got 'stuck', got 'turned around' and got 'on a tangent' and 'side-tracked', and with difficulty 'blazed my own trail' but 'in reverse', until finally 'getting turned back around' to join others on the 'platform'.

Sounds like my above research journey, don't ya think?

(There is a part of my research that I didn't post where I looked into possible connections within the Olmec/Mayan/Aztec culture. I stopped because it didn't feel right and became unmotivated to continue. I think this was, at least a part of, the 'tangent' and 'travelling in reverse' portion of the dream. The only really interesting thing I found was that the cock/rooster was not the 'messenger' but rather the turkey, specifically the Ocellated Turkey. (VIDEO) (WIKI) (really pretty feathers), and how the names Chichen Itza and Kukulkan are kinda similar to this:

Chicken- Old English cicen (plural cicenu) "young of the domestic hen, the young of any bird;" by early Middle English, "any chicken," regardless of age, from Proto-Germanic *kiukinam (source also of Middle Dutch kiekijen, Dutch kieken, Old Norse kjuklingr, Swedish kyckling, German Küken "chicken"), from root *keuk- (echoic of the bird's sound and possibly also the root of cock (n.1)) + diminutive suffixes. By regular sound changes it should have become Modern English *chichen; the reason it didn't is unknown.

Also- Sanskrit: kukkutah (cock)

There appeared to be a LOT of animal sacrifice there too. Turkeys were domesticated by the Olmec but used by the Mayan to be seemingly used in sacrifices more then for food.)

Anyway, I was 'on track' at the beginning.

Last edited:
Ares and Aphrodite

In the tale sung by the bard in the hall of Alcinous, the Sun-god Helios once spied Ares and Aphrodite having sex secretly in the hall of Hephaestus, her husband. He reported the incident to Hephaestus. Contriving to catch the illicit couple in the act, Hephaestus fashioned a finely-knitted and nearly invisible net with which to snare them. At the appropriate time, this net was sprung, and trapped Ares and Aphrodite locked in very private embrace.

But Hephaestus was not satisfied with his revenge, so he invited the Olympian gods and goddesses to view the unfortunate pair. For the sake of modesty, the goddesses demurred, but the male gods went to witness the sight. Some commented on the beauty of Aphrodite, others remarked that they would eagerly trade places with Ares, but all who were present mocked the two. Once the couple was released, the embarrassed Ares returned to his homeland, Thrace, and Aphrodite went to Paphos.

In a much later interpolated detail, Ares put the young soldier Alectryon by his door to warn them of Helios's arrival as Helios would tell Hephaestus of Aphrodite's infidelity if the two were discovered, but Alectryon fell asleep on guard duty. Helios discovered the two and alerted Hephaestus. The furious Ares turned the sleepy Alectryon into a rooster which now always announces the arrival of the sun in the morning.

ἀλεκτρυών (alektryṓn): Ancient Greek for rooster, cock

I thought it was kinda interesting that Alectryon sounds a lot like Electron.

It seems the older religions and traditions knew something about energy, vibrations and frequencies.

These are only some of the references to the word "Staota" occurring in the Avesta. But from these also one can easily make out that the word "Staota" does not imply mere "praise" or "adoration" or "propitiation" but something more than that. The word "Staota" as seen from the above-quoted references signifies the fundamental law of unseen colours produced by the vibrations of the Sound; and the entire universe has been manifested in accordance with the Laws of these Vibration-colours (Staota Yasna) from the one Primitive Sound of Prime Motion - Ahuna Var - in the Highest Heaven. We can easily see from these quotations also that the unfoldment of the Soul and communion with Ahura Mazda are only possible by means of the attunement with the Highest Staota, and that the Soul requires for its progress the various intensities of these Staota according to its stage of progress in the scale of unfoldment. In order therefore to attain this Summum Bonum the soul has to attune itself with the Staota of all the Yazads and other spiritual intelligences, the greatest of whom on the Earth is Sraosha according to the Gatha XXXIII; 5: -

I forgot to add this about Alectryon:

Both the words Alectryon and Halcyon might have been corrupted from Halaka, one of the old Persian appellations of the sun. In the 'Vendidad' it is said that the sacred bird Parodars (*Note: 'paro-darsh' above) , called by men kahrkatak, raises its voice at the dawn; and in the "Bundehasb", the sun is spoken of as Halaka, the cock, the enemy of darkness and evil, which flee before his crowing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems the older religions and traditions knew something about energy, vibrations and frequencies.

Hi Dennis! Thanks for that pdf. I only scanned a bit of it and will have to get deeper into it later since I'm onto something with the Chinvat Bridge.

But, yes, as I was searching on this site for various items, I came across the Electric Universe Theory which apparently was known by ancient peoples. I can't find the exact post but it mentioned Laura getting into this a bit in one of her books (Noah Syndrome?) and 3 SOTT interviews that I haven't seen yet. I guess I was 'reminded' today.

Last edited:
One of the affirmed ‘deities’ in the oldest texts of Zoroastrianism, the Gathas, is Sraosha. In these early texts, the concept of what Sraosha is (eg: “‘conscience’ and ‘observance’”, “…to propagate conscience and the beauty of life…”), is hard to figure out since it gets associated with other ‘deities’.

The ‘path of Sraosha’, as far as I can tell, may have started out as something else but has become associated with the Chinvat Bridge which only seems to be ‘properly developed’ in the younger Avestan texts.

There are so many slightly different versions of the same story that I’m just going to sum the main points in a nutshell:

On the forth day after a person’s death, the soul of that person would travel under the protection and guidance of Sraosha to the Chinvat Bridge. Upon arriving at the bridge (which is guarded by two four-eyed dogs to welcome good souls or scare away bad ones) the soul meets with its higher self and becomes complete. The soul is also met by Daena. If Daena is a beautiful woman, the soul is good, if an old crone, the soul is bad. Once the verdict is read, Sraosha guards the soul as it crosses the wide bridge to the “House of Song” (at the south end of the bridge) or crosses the very narrow bridge to Harburz (or Hamistakan), the “House of Lies” (at the south end of the bridge).

The description of the Bridge itself is also varied. Examples of it are that it is 9 lances long and the same wide; wide for good souls or as narrow as a razors edge for the bad; a rainbow; has even been identified with the Milky Way (C.P. Tiele's "History of Religion ").

The ‘rainbow bridge’ also shows up in Norse Mythology as the 'Bifröst', and the Greek goddess sisters, Iris and Arke, were both psychopomps and identified with the rainbow (as mentioned in the ‘messenger list’ posted above). (*Note: Laura’s illumination on white light passing through a prism, gives the Bridge a different meaning.)

This story could be a version of a soul passing to 5th Density.

Now, in Zoroastrianiasm, the cock, known as Paro-darsh or Parodars, is considered sacred even today:
The cock, Av. parō.dərəs- “he who foresees (dawn),” Pahl. parōdarš (from the Av. nominative parō.darš) and xrōs “caller,” was revered by Zoroastrians as the helper (Pahl. hamkār, cf. Bundahišn, TD 2, pp. 156.15-157.3, tr. Anklesaria, pp. 202-03) of Sraoša (Pahl. Srōš), the yazata of prayer and of protection in the night, because with its cry it heralds the day and drives away demon-infested night. It is therefore called also the bird of the righteous Srōš.

Interestingly, a bird that is so intimately connected to the psychopomp Sraosha does not make an appearance in the Chinvat Bridge story.

But at the end of this short article was this:

This scenario is very ancient: Chinvat Bridge and the daēnā are both mentioned in the Gāthās. Many aspects of this belief—in particular, that of the bridge—are reminiscent of conceptions in other religious traditions, above all those of the shamanistic variety.

A passage to the beyond, Chinvat Bridge can also be considered the path of the soul to heaven during an ecstatic experience (Nyberg, 1938). It thus figures not only in conceptions of the afterlife but also in the religious transports that occur during initiations, which are analogous to death.

Now I get it! Just like the physical rooster wakes people up to go to work, the cock is the symbol of 'the shamanic call to wake up!' I remember reading in one of Laura's books she commented on Matthew 22:14: "For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Zoroastianism apparently used to be Dualist before it became Monotheistic. He fights against Bushyãsta (STS?):

BŪŠĀSP (Young Av. Būšyąsta-...), the name of a demon in Zoroastrianism. The name occurs several times in the Younger Avesta as a proper noun and is grammatically the abstract noun in - of the future participle būšyant- from bav- “to become,” lit., “what-will-be-ness,” understood as the name of the daēvī of slothfulness and procrastination. Feminine in gender, she is smitten by Miθra with his club (Yt. 10.97, 134) and is destroyed by Xᵛarənah, the Mazdā-created Fortune/Glory (Yt. 18.2); she threatens always to overcome the whole material world with her evil lethargy at break of day, when Sraoša’s herald, the cock Parōdarš, cries out a warning at dawn (Vd. 18.15f.). Nyberg saw her as in origin a divine being, goddess of trance and oracles, who was transformed in Zoroastrianism into the demon of slothfulness. Darmesteter sought to link her to Xnąθaitī and Jahī as female storm demons and explained Būšyąsta’s epithets zairina (yellowish) and darəγō.gava (long-handed) as reflecting the lightning-flash of Xnąθaitī. Būšāsp endures in the Bundahišn and other books extant in Pahlavi as a formidable, if not principal, agent of the Evil Spirit. She creates laziness (Bundahišn, chap. 27.32, tr. Anklesaria, pp. 238-39; TD2, p. 185.12) and shortness of breath (Dādestān ī dēnīg, pt. 1, chap. 36.51), and is “most indolent and oblivious”

2. While the demon Bushyãsta makes people drowsy and puts them to sleep, the rooster wakes up people by crowing. While crowing at dawn it seems to say “Oh men! Wake up. Sleeping for long is not good for you.” However, lazy people do not appreciate the rooster waking them up. So they rebuke it by calling it Kahrkatas “a croaker.”

(Link) In chapter 18.22-23 of the Vidēvdād it is explained that, when in the last third of the night the fire of Ahura Mazdā calls upon Sraoša for help, the latter awakens the cock, whom speakers of evil call kahrkatat- (a word evidently onomatopoeic, like Avestan kahrkāsa- “vulture,” a caw sounding like a cock-a-doodle-doo;

On the forum Chicken Ruminations has some interesting bits about how the rooster acts.

And I even read about it in The Wave. I had to go through all this just to 'get it'. And, thinking back, it feels like I was 'being taught' a little bit, too.

Well, I'm going to eat another serving of humble pie. In my excitement I drew a hasty conclusion and I should have said the cock could be a symbol of a shamanic wake up call. I am not a shaman so I can't claim such a firm conclusion. Sorry. :-[

I came across this bit in Through a Glass Darkly which started me thinking a bit differently:

Q: (L) Frank and I discussed a name for the magazine last night and we came up with - and who knows how - Aurora to symbolize the dawn, waking up... that sort of thing. Where in the world did this come from?

Then a few pages later (but from a different session):

Q: (L) You said that my life would be straightened out and that this would happen through the internet. In fact, you said that my life would change suddenly and drastically...

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Yet, all I have experienced has been the most oppressive internal and external attack imaginable...

A: Benefits follow oppressiveness, what is it that you tell to others?? The darkness always precedes the dawn!

Q: (L) Well, I don't know which way to turn. I am not in a position to do anything about any of it just now.

A: Ask for help, silly!

Q: (L) I don't like to ask for help.

A: You have to.

"The darkness always precedes the dawn", made me think of the above definition of cock (parō.dərəs): "he who foresees (dawn)". It never actually occurred to me before that the rooster does not call after the sun is up. He calls before, when the sun can't be seen but is getting light on the horizon.

I then thought about a known english 'exclamation' people say when they make a realization, "It just dawned on me." Which makes me think that the rooster might be, in a general sense, the oncoming moment and arrival of making a connection.

I've noticed that when I read something, depending on what it is of course, I sometimes get progressively tired until I'm fighting sleep and sometimes have to sleep before continuing. This happened sometimes when I read Laura's books, as an example, but once she started to sum up and 'get to the point' I woke up and became quite alert because now I could see how her examples were connecting together which sometimes ended up in an 'ah-ha' moment (Ba-Ha moment? Ha! That's funny!) which corresponded with a 'bright' sensation (which could be just me) which I could 'feel/see' coming, sometimes. (this could be just an awareness of the synaptic activity:

aa1a.jpg

...though I don't know how I can sometimes 'feel it coming') I wonder if this 'brightness' could have something to do with 'dawn' since one is ignorant (night/sleep/lie) before the 'dawn' and knowledgeable (day/awake/truth) after. Or in the case of Orion (Cock), blind/sight.

Q: (L) The next question in the list is: You indicated that we should study the legend of Orion, and I looked it up in several sources, and basically the legend is of the perfect man, who fell in love with a woman, and her jealous father caused him to be blinded. The only cure was to gaze at the light, the goddess Aurora, to regain his sight. Can you tell us how this relates to the idea that Orion was the indigenous home of humans?

There is always a border (boundary, boundary stone) that the cock is associated with (the herald), not the 'before' or the 'after'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom