The cock, divine symbol?

I finally finished reading "Almost Human". Besides being a very important book for me to have read, two things stood out.

On p. 285 of "Appendix A: Meteorites, Asteroids and Comets...", under the "3123 BCE, June 29 - Germany" listing, it reads: "The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago."

Using computers to recreate the night sky thousands of years ago, they have pinpointed the sighting described on the tablet- a 700 BC copy of notes of the night sky as seen by a Sumerian astrologer in one of the world's earliest-known civilizations- to shortly before dawn on June 29th in the year 3123 BC.

Although not directly associated with comets and meteors that I have found, the rooster could be several other birds due to the interpretation of the translation of forgotten languages. If it is a comet/meteor, could a long forgotten memory of the above destruction shortly "before dawn" become mapped onto the rooster as its mo(u)rning song (of warning/relief)?

The second thing that arose was the idea of the cockfight (the 'Greek diversion') as possibly and 'old version' of Game Theory in action to ultimately divert attention away from the comet/meteor possibility all the while sucking the energy (money) out of the ones who gambled at the pits?

From Manley P. Hall's STofAA, he had this to say:

The cock, or rooster, was a symbol of Cashmala (Cadmillus) in the Samothracian Mysteries, and is also a phallic symbol sacred to the sun. It was accepted by the Greeks as the emblem of Ares (Mars) and typified watchfulness and defense. When placed in the center of a weather vane it signifies the sun in the midst of the four corners of creation. The Greeks sacrificed a rooster to the gods at the time of entering the Eleusinian Mysteries. Sir Francis Bacon is supposed to have died as the result of stuffing a fowl with snow. May this not signify Bacon's initiation into the pagan Mysteries which still existed in his day?

The Ares (Mars) part reminded me (in terms of "watchfulness and defence") of the interchange between what Velikovsky discussed in his many books, the interloper (Venus) that came in and warred against Mars, finally smiting it in a death blow, with implications for Earth.

There is the Gnostic deity(?) Abraxas. I haven't read much about it and so I'm not sure what to think.
1620539826850.png

Hall makes note:

His head--that of a cock--represents Phronesis, that bird being the emblem of foresight and of vigilance. His two arms hold the symbols of Sophia and Dynamis: the shield of Wisdom and the whip of Power."

Hall added Pythagoras's thoughts to the cock:

VII. Nourish a cock, but sacrifice it not; for it is sacred to the sun and moon. Two great lessons are concealed in this aphorism. The first is a warning against the sacrifice of living things to the gods, because life is sacred and man should not destroy it even as an offering to the Deity. The second warns man that the human body here referred to as a cock is sacred to the sun (God) and the moon (Nature), and should be guarded and preserved as man's most precious medium of expression. Pythagoras also warned his disciples against suicide.

Much has been discussed of the word "sacrifice" in sessions, and given our current times, one might see that there is some type of a mass 'overpopulation' sacrifice being attempted. Here in session was said:

Q: Well, well. What was the origin of the practice of human sacrifice?

A: We have answered many of these inquiries for you before, in so many ways.

Q: Yes, I know. But, I don't think I ever asked this question directly, though there are allusions to it.

A: Allusions provide pieces to the mosaic, thus empowering your learning channel.

Q: Why are you hitting all the letters off to the side tonight?

A: Energy fields vary according to electromagnetic condition variances in the atmosphere surrounding your 3rd density locator.

Q: What is the source of this present variance?

A: Solar flare.

Solar flare was said as an aside "hitting all the letters" as it appeared that there was influences, however it is highlighted for further consideration (e.g. the sun is a window, and sacrifices are often made to the sun and the sun can send forth.)

Continuing along the lines of sacrifice, here in June 7, 1997 it was said (which might bring humanity along to the now):

Q: Does that mean that the instructions for preparation of sacrificial animals were designed to prepare them for alien 'food?'

A: More for energy transfer.

Q: Do you mean energy transfer in the a) sense of the transfer of the energy of the animal through the sacrifice, or b) the transfer of the energy of the human performing the sacrifice into the animal, and then through the animal to the alien (and I am using the term alien in its broadest sense) ?

A: Why not both?

This session goes on (although perhaps linked) to iron, the "smoke screen" of it. There seems to be something here that has some importance inside the body - the element...

Going back to 16 October 1994, further aspects are discussed that seem to have bearing more so now as people line up and are either willingly or are forced to follow:

Q: (L) "And all the inhabitants of the earth will fall down in admiration... everyone whose name has not been recorded from the foundation of the world in the Book of Life of the Lamb that was slain in sacrifice from the foundation of the world..." What are "those whose names are recorded in the Book of Life... what is the Book of Life?

A: Supercomputer.

Q: (L) The Book of Life of the Lamb... everyone whose name has not been recorded... it is saying that the people who are going to worship the Beast are names that have not been recorded... does that mean that there is a supercomputer recording the names of those who do not worship the beast?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) And who has this supercomputer?

A: Beast. All names will be recorded as being either obedient or disobedient.

Q: (L) Who is this "Lamb?"

A: Beast.

Q: (L) "If anyone is able to hear let him listen: whoever leads into captivity will himself go into captivity; if anyone slays with the sword, with the sword will he be slain... herein is the call for the patience and fidelity of the saints (God's people)... "Who are God's people?

A: All.

Q: (L) What does it mean: "Whoever leads into captivity will go into captivity?"

A: Follow the leader.

Q: (L) If they follow the leader they will become captive and if they fight with the leader they will be killed?

Q: (L) "Then I saw another Beast rising up out of the land; he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke like a dragon..." What does this signify?

A: Other faces of the same entity.

Q: (L) What does it mean that he had two horns like a lamb? A lamb doesn't have horns. Why does it say he has horns?

A: Confusion by contradiction.

Q: (L) And what does the lamb represent?

A: Same face of the Beast.

Q: (L) What does it mean he "spoke like a dragon"??

A: Same.

Q: (L) "He exerts all the power and right of control as the former beast in his presence and causes the earth and those who dwell upon it to exalt and deify the beast whose deadly wound was healed and worship him..." Well, it seems to say that there is a second beast that is different from the first beast but you are saying that it is just another face of the beast...

A: Yes. Look at it this way, aliens one face; God another; government another et cetera.

Q: (L) Did you mean to say that God was another face of the beast?

A: As represented by religion.

Q: (L) "He performs great signs, startling miracles, even making fire fall from the sky to the earth in men's sight.." What does that mean?

A: Aliens perform "miracles".

Q: (L) And what is the "image" of the Beast?

A: Aliens.

Q: (L) What does it mean to have been wounded by the sword and still live?

A: Perceived as scary then Godlike.

Q: (L) "And he was permitted to impart the breath of life into the Beast's image so that the statue of the beast could actually talk and to cause all to be put to death that would not bow down and worship the image of the beast." What does this mean?

A: Total control once deception is complete.

Q: (L) "Compels all alike, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to be marked with an inscription on their right hand or on their foreheads...." What is this inscription?

A: Visa ID number.

Q: (L) Is this going to be actually physically put on our bodies?

A: Encoded.

Q: (L) How? Is that what the aliens do when they abduct people?

A: No.

Q: (L) How is it going to be done?

A: Stamped.

Q: (L) By what technical means?

A: Electronic encoding. A series of numbers.

Q: (L) Are they going to put these on our skins or imbed them in the skin on our heads or hand...?

Q: (L) Does that mean that you will have to place your hand on an electronic scanner in order to conduct any type of monetary transaction?

A: Precisely.

This session goes on to include comet clusters, a pause of learning, and then transitioning - many to follow the lizzie pied pipers.

"The darkness always precedes the dawn", made me think of the above definition of cock (parō.dərəs): "he who foresees (dawn)". It never actually occurred to me before that the rooster does not call after the sun is up. He calls before, when the sun can't be seen but is getting light on the horizon.

Yes, so in a way, when the cock sounds each dawn one should seek 'foresight and vigilance' for the day(s) coming.

Thanks @Voyageur for this. I remember reading that Oct. 16 session quote years ago, but seems more apt and way more creepy now.

The info on Abraxas/Abrasax is helpful though I have read similar already and found it to be unsatisfying somehow. It could be that I expect to much and should relax about it. I will say his legs are still a bit of a mystery, though there is Typhon:

Several children were produced from the union of Gaia (the earth) and Tartarus (the underworld), and one of them was Typhon, one of the most dangerous creatures in Greek mythology battling Zeus for supremacy of the universe, ultimately losing to Zeus’s thunderbolts, however, and being cast into the underworld. It was said he would ‘hiss’ and had ‘flashing’ eyes.

And earlier in Babylon:

[Ningishzida] was also depicted as a human with a snake coming out of each shoulder. In Zoroastrianism, the god Zahhak had snakes coming out of each shoulder as well.

I have not read Manley P. Hall or Velikovsky but they both associate the rooster with Mars. I'm not saying they're wrong, not even a little bit. From what I've read and reasoned (and I freely admit I might be very wrong) the (Persian/Avestan) rooster's association with fire, song, and (supposedly) the planet Mercury was seemingly 'left behind' after it was transferred via Priapus/Dionysus and the cockfight (Greece) to Mars (Rome). As far as I can tell, the rooster's claim to religious fame began in Persia early first millennium.

With the Pythagoras quote, "The second warns man that the human body here referred to as a cock is sacred to the sun (God) and the moon (Nature), and should be guarded and preserved as man's most precious medium of expression." I tried substituting 'male generative source' for 'cock' and 'generative source' for 'sun' and found it interesting.

(e.g. the sun is a window, and sacrifices are often made to the sun and the sun can send forth.)

Does this mean the sun 'rebroadcasts' and perhaps amplifies the (sacrificial) prayer throughout the solar system?

This made me think of the 'rebounding' effect that prayers could have that I remember reading about in one of Laura's books. A 'willing destruction of consciousness in the hope of gaining beneficial divine favour' (sacrifice) would be a STS ritual resulting in 'feeding' or worse.

...one might see that there is some type of a mass 'overpopulation' sacrifice being attempted.

Could it be seen as a form of mass suicide I wonder? That would make the ones responsible for this atrocity to be able to claim 'no wrongdoing' on their part since there was a 'choice'.

Good post Voyageur. Appreciated!

"The darkness always precedes the dawn", made me think of the above definition of cock (parō.dərəs): "he who foresees (dawn)". It never actually occurred to me before that the rooster does not call after the sun is up. He calls before, when the sun can't be seen but is getting light on the horizon.

Yes, so in a way, when the cock sounds each dawn one should seek 'foresight and vigilance' for the day(s) coming.

I completely understand and agree with what you are getting at in seeking 'foresight and vigilance'. I forgot to clarify that I was naive with my "...getting light on the horizon". First, of course the rooster calls after the sun is up. Second, apparently it can crow at anything at any time... and may not actually have anything to do with the dawn or light at all:

In Zoroastrianism, the cock (Parodarsh) is “'he who foresees the coming dawn.” In 2013, a Japanese researcher, Takashi Yoshimura of Nagoya University, published an article from his experiments with roosters and crowing. In one experiment, he took roosters and put them in complete darkness 24 hrs a day. They crowed 2 hours before the sun rose every time suggesting an internal circadian rhythm. Here’s a fun little video.
There is also something called the ‘third watch’:
“The Jewish day began at 6:00 a.m. and finished at 6:00 p.m. The night watch began at 6:00 p.m. and ended at 6:00 a.m. The night watch was broken up into four time periods of three hours each. Mark 13:35 names the watches:

First Watch -- the evening (6:00 - 9:00 p.m.)
Second Watch -- at midnight (9:00 - midnight)
Third Watch -- at the crowing of the rooster (midnight - 3:00 a.m.)
Fourth Watch -- the morning watch (3:00 - 6:00 a.m.)”

I have not read Manley P. Hall or Velikovsky but they both associate the rooster with Mars. I'm not saying they're wrong, not even a little bit. From what I've read and reasoned (and I freely admit I might be very wrong) the (Persian/Avestan) rooster's association with fire, song, and (supposedly) the planet Mercury was seemingly 'left behind' after it was transferred via Priapus/Dionysus and the cockfight (Greece) to Mars (Rome). As far as I can tell, the rooster's claim to religious fame began in Persia early first millennium.

Ok. I found a PDF copy of "Worlds in Collision" and had a quick look. It does seem to suggest that the rooster is associated with Mars although I was a bit surprised by this. So I did a search in the transcripts for "Mars" and these are what seem most relevant:

Q: (L) Was Noah's flood caused by the close passage of another celestial body?

Q: (L) Which body was that?

A: Martek.

Q: (L) Do we know this body in our solar system now?

Q: (L) What name?

A: Mars.

Q: Well, I notice that there is a LOT of heating up of things lately. Gerald Ford admitted to altering the Warren Report, the Mars probe is admitting that there was once a LOT more water on Mars than could be "locked up" in permafrost as Sagan suggested. Good grief! I said that over 10 years ago! Yes, it took about 40 days for all the water on Mars to settle out of our atmosphere after Mars took a close swing and the Earth grabbed it's water.

(Pierre) Let's shift to a more cheerful topic: cometary bombardments. So we discussed the death of the woolly mammoths due to a cometary bombardment. I would like to know about the transfer of water from Mars to planet Earth, when did it occur relative to this cometary bombardment? How many years before, how many years after?

A: Within 40 years more or less.

Q: (Pierre) So cometary bombardment, and then Mars water transfer?

(L) And how did that happen?

A: Electric arc of cosmic proportions.

Q: (Pierre) You mean the water transfer? Yeah, that's the arcing. The plasma connection between Earth and...

(L) Was this the same event that left that gigantic scar on Mars? (I don’t know how anybody can look at that scar and not get the willies!)

Q: (Joe) How close was Mars? Water can be...

(Pierre) It was closer because...

(Joe) ...transferred through hundreds of millions of miles of space?

A: Mars was much closer temporarily. Tales of gods fighting in the sky and castration of Chronos relate to this event.

Q: (Pierre) So, this massive inflow of water from Mars reaching Earth...

A: Much of it precipitated as snow at poles, and was released into oceans gradually. Water moving through space is not liquid.

Q: (L) That's how it could happen, because it wasn't liquid.

(Joe) What form was it in?

(Pierre) It was gaseous?

(Joe) What form was it in?

(L) Probably ice crystals.

(Pierre) Solid.

A: Yes

Q: (L) What dear?

(Ark) Yeah, ice.

(Pierre) Well, that's answered my question I think. I was about to ask is this water transfer why sea levels raised about 50 meters during the Younger Dryas while the temperatures were dropping?

A: Yes

Q: (Artemis) So sometimes our rain just comes from space.

(L) I don’t know, sometimes. Chunks of ice come from space all the time.

(Artemis) They bring viruses with them! The plague! [laughter]

"One other account referred by Robert Graves[5] (who claims to be following the account of the Byzantine mythographer Tzetzes) it is said that Cronus was castrated by his son Zeus just like he had done with his father Uranus before. However the subject of a son castrating his own father, or simply castration in general, was so repudiated by the Greek mythographers of that time that they suppressed it from their accounts until the Christian era (when Tzetzes wrote)." Cronus - Wikipedia

The important thing about the Chronus/Zeus event is the Titanomachy followed by the "settling down" of things.

"In a vast war called the Titanomachy, Zeus and his brothers and sisters, with the help of the Hecatonchires, and Cyclopes, overthrew Cronus and the other Titans. Afterwards, many of the Titans were confined in Tartarus. However, Atlas, Epimetheus, Helios, Menoetius, Oceanus and Prometheus were not imprisoned following the Titanomachy. Gaia bore the monster Typhon to claim revenge for the imprisoned Titans."

If you have read "Comets and the Horns of Moses", you'll know what "being imprisoned in Tartarus possibly means. Part of it has to do with Mars being driven back into a more distant orbit and the cessation of extreme hostilities between all the stuff flying about in the sky and bombarding the earth.

So, was Mars 'originally' in an orbit between the Earth and the Sun? And then when Venus came along, it booted Mars out to its current orbit passing close enough for most of Mars' water in the form of ice to transfer to the Earth and leaving a giant scar on Mars' surface? For some reason, this made me think of this bit:

c. 1500 BCE

INDIA

In the Rigveda, believed to have been written during the Vedic period c. 1500-1100 BCE, the rooster appears as an emblem on the battle flag of Kartikeya/Murugan, the mace wielding Hindu god of war and victory (aka: Skanda (born from a seed dropped in the reeds of the Ganges; represents the rising sun), Kumara (‘prince, child, young one’ and son of Ushas (dawn)), and several others).

Well, I don't know how or if the rooster got tied in with the 'war' between Earth and Mars. It throws all my work into complete disarray.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say thanks for bringing this to my attention @Voyageur. I was vaguely aware of this info but I could not relate to it.

Does this mean the sun 'rebroadcasts' and perhaps amplifies the (sacrificial) prayer throughout the solar system?

The sun as a window comes up often is sessions - see here (example):

Q: (L) Could you describe for us the interior of our sun and how it works?

A: It is a window.

Q: (L) The interior of the sun is a window. Okay, is the interior of the sun composed of what we would call solid matter?

Q: (L) The general idea is that the interior of the sun is composed of great masses of hydrogen and this is converting to helium and...

A: In 3rd density perception.

Q: (L) You are saying that the sun is a window or transmission point between dimensions. If that is the case, then it is virtually illimitable in terms of longevity?

A: Close.

I have not read Manley P. Hall or Velikovsky but they both associate the rooster with Mars.

As for rooster, Hall only makes references to other peoples words, and don't recall Velikovsky ever saying anything on that which you now may have found), although on Mars he says plenty.
Could it be seen as a form of mass suicide I wonder? That would make the ones responsible for this atrocity to be able to claim 'no wrongdoing' on their part since there was a 'choice'.

No, not suicide, that was not the intent of my woolgathering comment, more along the lines of what 'possibly' may further result from this mass corporate experimentation the world finds itself locked into, on account of dealing with the term overpopulation (some will see it perhaps as a sacrifice to the gaia god (daughter of chaos) and some on account of their own pathological ways for supremacy - read the billionaire thread). Can it in some peoples minds justify what they are doing/thinking in terms of sacrifice?, and if so, is it a recreation of old sacrificial rites? Don't know.

Hall pointed something else out closer to our times, if a hundred years ago was that (written in the late 20's):

Ignorant of the cause of life, ignorant of the purpose of life, ignorant of what lies beyond the mystery of death, yet possessing within himself the answer to it all, man is willing to sacrifice the beautiful, the true, and the good within and without upon the blood-stained altar of worldly ambition. The world of philosophy--that beautiful garden of thought wherein the sages dwell in the bond of fraternity--fades from view. In its place rises an empire of stone, steel, smoke, and hate-a world in which millions of creatures potentially human scurry to and fro in the desperate effort to exist and at the same time maintain the vast institution which they have erected and which, like some mighty, juggernaut, is rumbling inevitably towards an unknown end. In this physical empire, which man erects in the vain belief that he can outshine the kingdom of the celestials, everything is changed to stone, Fascinated by the glitter of gain, man gazes at the Medusa-like face of greed and stands petrified.

In this commercial age science is concerned solely with the classification of physical knowledge and investigation of the temporal and illusionary parts of Nature. Its so-called practical discoveries bind man but more tightly with the bonds of physical limitation, Religion, too, has become materialistic: the beauty and dignity of faith is measured by huge piles of masonry, by tracts of real estate, or by the balance sheet. Philosophy which connects heaven and earth like a mighty ladder, up the rungs of which the illumined of all ages have climbed into the living presence of Reality--even philosophy has become a prosaic and heterogeneous mass of conflicting notions. Its beauty, its dignity, its transcendency are no more. Like other branches of human thought, it has been made materialistic--"practical"--and its activities so directionalized that they may also contribute their part to the erection of this modern world of stone and steel.

In the ranks of the so-called learned there is rising up a new order of thinkers, which may best be termed the School of the Worldly Wise Men. After arriving at the astounding conclusion that they are the intellectual salt of the earth, these gentlemen of letters have appointed themselves the final judges of all knowledge, both human and divine. This group affirms that all mystics must have been epileptic and most of the saints neurotic! It declares God to be a fabrication of primitive superstition; the universe to be intended for no particular purpose; immortality to be a figment of the imagination; and an outstanding individuality to be but a fortuitous combination of cells! Pythagoras is asserted to have suffered from a "bean complex"; Socrates was a notorious inebriate; St. Paul was subject to fits; Paracelsus was an infamous quack, the Comte di Cagliostro a mountebank, and the Comte de St.-Germain the outstanding crook of history!

A continuance from "The Secret Teachings of All Ages":

All over the world men and women ground down by the soulless cultural systems of today are crying out for the return of the banished age of beauty and enlightenment – for something practical in the highest sense of the word. A few are beginning to realize that so-called civilization in its present form is at the vanishing point; that coldness, heartlessness, commercialism, and material efficiency are impractical, and only that which offers opportunity for the expression of love and ideality is truly worth while. (p. 666- go figure)

As for rooster, Hall only makes references to other peoples words, and don't recall Velikovsky ever saying anything on that which you now may have found), although on Mars he says plenty.

You're right. Velikovsky does not mention 'rooster' or 'cock'. My mistake. He mentions Mercury 16 times, Mars 318 times, Venus 400 times and the Sun 520 times. It's Hall that mentions the rooster and cock as you quoted above.

In the first quote you posted from "Secret Teachings", Hall says:

"The cock, or rooster, was a symbol of Cashmala (Cadmillus) in the Samothracian Mysteries, and is also a phallic symbol sacred to the sun." (p. 268)

I read on p. 90:

"Dionysidorus, however, identifies Aschieros with Demeter, Achiochersus with Pluto, Achiochersa with Persephone, and Cashmala with Hermes."

Then on p. 95:

Investigators believe that it was Hermes who was known to the Jews as “Enoch,” called by Kenealy the “Second Messenger of God.” Hermes was accepted into the mythology of the Greeks, later becoming the Mercury of the Latins. He was revered through the form of the planet Mercury because this body is nearest to the sun: Hermes of all creatures was nearest to God, and became known as the Messenger of the Gods.

So, the rooster is Mercury. I shake my head and for some reason I'm giggling quietly, possibly at myself, about this.

From the chapter "The Life and Teachings of Thoth Hermes Trismegistus", on p. 94:

HERMES MERCURIUS TRISMEGISTUS.
From Historia Deorum Fatidicorum.

Master of all arts and sciences. perfect in all crafts, Ruler of the Three Worlds, Scribe of the Gods, and Keeper of the Books of Life, Thoth Hermes Trismegistus – the Three Times Greatest, the “First Intelligencer” – was regarded by the ancient Egyptians as the embodiment of the Universal Mind. While in all probability there actually existed a great sage and educator by the name of Hermes, it is impossible to extricate the historical man from the mass of legendary accounts which attempt to identify him with the Cosmic Principle of Thought.

By the way it's written, this guy sounds like a 'Jesus with Triune' and the son (Mercury) of god (Sun).

“All hail Thee, Thoth Hermes, Thrice Greatest; all hail Thee, Prince of Men; all hail Thee who standeth upon the head of Typhon!” (p. 93)

From everything I've read, although the rooster is associated with the sun, it was never a symbol of the sun. And as far as Mars goes, the only way I could associate it with the rooster is through the cockfight, but I'll leave my mind open.

Last edited:
By the way it's written, this guy sounds like a 'Jesus with Triune' and the son (Mercury) of god (Sun).
:lol:

It does not look good for Hermes - this session discusses Hermes:

Q: (L) Who was Hermes Trismegistus?

A: Traitor to court of Pharoah Rana.

Q: (L) Who is Pharoah Rana?

A: Egyptian leader of spiritual covenant.

Q: (L) In what way was Hermes a traitor?

A: Broke covenant of spiritual unity of all peoples in area now known as Middle East.

Q: (L) Who did Hermes betray?

A: Himself; was power hungry.

Q: (L) What acts did he do?

A: Broke covenant; he inspired divisions within ranks of Egyptians, Essenes, Aryans, and Persians et cetera.

Q: (L) What was his purpose in doing this?

A: Divide and conquer as inspired by those referred to as Brotherhood in Bramley book you have read.

Q: (L) Is this the Brotherhood of the snake Hermes formed in rejection of unity?

A: Hermes did not form it; it was long since in existence.

Q: (L) Who was the originator of the Brotherhood of the Serpent as described in the Bramley book?

A: Lizard Beings.

Additionally here was said:

Q: (L) I would like to know the approximate years of the life of Hermes Trismegistus.

A: 5211 approx. (Years ago or B.C.?)

This is continued in 1999 (June and July):

Q: (L) Previously when I had asked a question about Hermes Trismegistus, you remarked that he was a 'traitor to the court of Pharoah Rana.' Who was this Pharoah Rana? Was he prior to the Pharoah Menes?

A: Much prior.

Q: Was the Pharoah Menes the same as King Minos of Crete?

Q: What was the relationship between the Cretans and the Egyptians?

A: All were the same originally.

Q: So they were Egyptians who left Egypt and moved to Crete and set up their version of the Egyptian culture there? Is that it? Or did they develop independently?

A: Former is closest.

Q: Was Abraham, the founder of the monotheistic covenant, Hermes?

Q: Was Akhenaten Moses?

A: Only through the eyes of the themes.

Q: What happened to Akhenaten? He also brought about the monotheistic worship and was apparently so hated that any mention of him, his very name, was stricken from buildings and statuary; his tomb was defaced and there was tremendous turmoil in the land. He essentially disappeared from the landscape, erased by the people who must have really hated him. What was the deal with Akhenaten?

A: Is not that enough? Must one endure anymore?

Q: Endure anymore what?

A: Vilification.

Q: Why was Akhenaten portrayed in images as a rather feminine individual? Did he have a congenital disease? Was he a hermaphrodite? Was he an alchemical adept who had gone through the transformation?

A: None of these.

Q: What was the reason for his strange physical appearance; his feminine hips and belly and strangely elongated face...

A: Depictions.

Q: So this was NOT how he really looked?

A: Not really.

Q: Did he choose to be depicted this way?

Q: Was he depicted this way later as an insult?

A: Closer.

Q: Well, Abraham was the father of Ishmael who was the 'father of the Arabs' according to the Hebrew texts. Hermes was supposed to have been the father of Arabus who was also called the 'father of the Arabs.' This Arabus was the legendary father of Cassiopeia, which is almost a parallel development with just some name changes. It seems as though Arabus and Ishmael were comparatively the same in type and function and there are further comparisons to be made. But, the essential thing here is that Cassiopeia would then have been a granddaughter of Hermes and daughter of Ishmael, and we have talked before about the bloodline of the Ishmaelis as the true 'royal line.' Can you comment on this?

A: You are doing well in your analysis.

Q: But, just a few minutes ago you said that Hermes was NOT Abraham, and Abraham was clearly an adept...

A: What we are saying is... it is time for Arkadiusz to ask questions.

This is really interesting to me. I'm getting a very small picture of the scale of corruption here. Hermes was a traitor but was deified and worshipped? (sounds kinda familiar) He's a snake god! And the 'Brotherhood of the Snake' makes me think of the 'Transtigridian snake gods' mentioned by Frans Wiggermann. I could already see how the rooster as a symbol was 'descending' from fire and song to fertility, phalluses and sacrifices (cockfights). But this Hermes Trismegistus guy is really changing something for me. It could be just knowing that Hermes is based on an actual guy, or several guys, for starters.

Now, I started reading Horns of Moses two days ago and I see the troubles of Akhenaten mentioned above. I think I might be even more interested now to read what happens.

Pierre's excellent article and subsequent thread posts (haven't read them all yet) in Julius Caesar and Mithraism give a lot of food for thought that I found highly enjoyable!

It also made me think of the bullfight and cockfight (again) and, for at least a year now, I have thought that they were somehow similar. I'm not saying I've found the answer. Far from it. But the article and thread gave me a bit of fuel and I just put an idea together.

The bull and the rooster are both symbols of light. The bull was linked to Mithraism and other cults, and the rooster to Dionysus and thus the Dionysian mysteries. I find it interesting that both the bull and the rooster became central players of their own ancient bloodsports. Although bullfighting was only revered in several countries (continents in some cases) around the world, cockfighting was completely global being a sport of kings and peasants and everyone in between. But there was a third ancient bloodsport that grew to become as global as cockfighting: dogfighting. I’m not very familiar with the dog’s symbolism or if it’s attached to a specific cult or mystery school, but, for example, it does show up in Mithraism (along with the rooster sporadically in place of the crow), is one of the companions of Asclepius, and seven hunting dogs being ‘companions’ of Innana. One of the current symbols of the dog is unconditional love.

As well as being linked to comets and constellations, these three animals, two of which are linked to light and one to unconditional love, become global blood (death) sports for at least two thousand years. I question if these are rituals of ‘killing the light/love’ disguised as sports?

The idea of cock-fighting and domestication of chickens going back to 8,000+ BC is apparently almost a joke. Two research papers from June 6th and June 7th, 2022 re-date the earliest domestication possibility to c. 1500 BC. While there is an Oct. 24, 2022 rebuttal article saying China has earlier domestication dates to as early as c. 2475 BC, I'm not that interested in earliest domestication. What I am interested in is that the chicken was found around the Northern Rhine and Danube rivers by 5th-6th centuries BC, and in Sweden c. 1st century BC. That gives me an idea of just how late this bird is to Europe.

The rooster is very much attached to light, whether it be STO or STS light, and specifically the sun... and maybe not so much with Mercury.

I've mentioned this before but I'll refresh some things now to show a comparison with something I never thought to search for. The first part of my last name is Hohn, which by current definition means chicken. But it's pronounced Hahn (which is also it's own surname), which means rooster. The second h is silent in both cases but there could have been a different letter there (or was added?) in the past, though I don't know what it is. When I looked up the word han in the Old English Translator, one of the definitions was boundary stone, which I related in my first post, and through Laura's work, the idea of a boundary stone pointed towards Stonehenge. Also mentioned before was Hahn (rooster) and Hohn (hen/chicken ('chicken' was originally the name of the young 'chicks' but became a general name for the entire species)) were both derived from Old Teutonic Hanan and Hanon which both came from the PIE root *kan- which means ‘to sing’.

In Hans Bahlow's book, Dictionary of German Names, he lists the name: "Hohn (LGer.) = Huhn [chicken], surname of a poultry grower or dealer...". He then mentions this name as an example of a compound: "Ho(h)nsbein, Ho(h)nsbehn = chicken leg (or bone)..." (bein/behn on their own are short forms of Bernhard ('bold as a bear'). Only in a compound do they switch to leg/bone), but adds this: "But also note the ancient word hon for 'swamp', 'bog'." I have been stumped by this definition and interpreted it to mean that the people lived in a swampy, boggy area, but over the years, I've found myself becoming a bit unsatisfied with that conclusion even if the area in Mecklenburg, where one side of my family came from, is apparently quite marshy and is therefore probably true.

A few weeks ago, I was watching a documentary on tv (can't remember the show) that mentioned bog bodies and how bogs were considered sacred places. I had heard this before and it always intrigued me because of Bahlow's note but I could never find any connection until about a week later when I found that the word bog in Slavic languages means god. In the area of my family, there was an influx of Slavic peoples (that have been given the name Polabians) who followed the Elbe river from the Czech Republic. But this hon/bog/god connection is not very solid.

I then started searching for the word hon and in the Old English Translator it came up with some very interesting definitions (click to enlarge):

Hon- Old English Dictionary.jpg

The first entry could be interesting for other reasons, but the following two are what I'm focused on: to hang, suspend, crucify. But if you also notice, the word hénge shows up several times, and if I reverse-search that word, I get the same definitions as posted.

Etymonline says:

henge (n.)

1740, noted as a Yorkshire word for hanging rocks (see Stonehenge).

hinge (n.)

late 14c., "movable joint of a gate or door," not found in Old English, cognate with Middle Dutch henghe "hook, handle," Middle Low German henge "hinge," from Proto-Germanic *hanhan (transitive), *hangen (intransitive), from PIE *konk- "to hang" (see hang (v.)). The notion is the thing from which a door hangs. Figurative sense of "that on which events, etc., turn" is from c.1600. Stamp-collecting sense is from 1883.

hang (v.)

a fusion of Old English hon "suspend" (transitive, class VII strong verb; past tense heng, past participle hangen), and Old English hangian "be suspended" (intransitive, weak, past tense hangode); also probably influenced by Old Norse hengja "suspend," and hanga "be suspended." All from Proto-Germanic *hanhan (transitive), *hanganan (intransitive) "to hang" (source also of Old Frisian hangia, Dutch hangen, German hängen), from PIE *konk- "to hang" (source also of Gothic hahan, Hittite gang- "to hang," Sanskrit sankate "wavers," Latin cunctari "to delay;" see also second element in Stonehenge).

As a method of execution the word is attested in late Old English (but originally specifically of crucifixion). ...

Also, when I search crucify in the Old English Translator I get ahon and gehon, both strong verbs.

And finally:
Stonehenge (n.)

"celebrated stone circle on Salisbury Plain" [OED], early 12c., Stanenges, literally "stone gallows," perhaps so called from fancied resemblance to old-style gallows with two posts; from stone (n.) + second element related to hang (v.).

Some antiquarians suggest the notion may be of "supported in the air, that which hangs in the air" (compare henge-clif for Latin præruptum), in reference to the lintel stones, but the order of the elements and the inflection is against this.

The thing itself is from a time immemorial to the earliest Germanic writings. An ancient common name for it was the Giant's Dance. In Middle English a stonehenge also was a device for clamping stones together.

Etymonline says that crucify is something that gets affixed or fastened to a cross. But the sense I get from the above is something that is suspended in the air, as if appearing to float?

The hen/rooster definition of Hohn/Hahn is quite recent, it appears, and the meaning of suspend/hang is much older.

So, if I accumulate the meanings, I get:

Hohn: Hen/Chicken ('to sing')
Hon: Bog/God
Hon: Suspend (Stonehenge, crucifixion)

Hahn: Rooster (light, the coming/return of the light, 'to sing')
Han: Boundary Stone
Han: Hang (Stonehenge, crucifixion, portal?)

The Giant's Dance literally depicted in the drawing of 'Merlin and the Giant' from the 2nd quarter of the 14th century manuscript Egerton 3028 (f. 30).
The Giant's Dance (rs).jpg

The above list of meanings also sheds a little light for me on this Abraxas/Abrasax character. Each of the letters in the name are said to be the first letter of each of the planets, but every time I run into the names of Greek philosophers like Anaximander, Anaximenes and Anaxagoras (see CatHoM), even if they were 500-600 years before, I think of Abraxas.

Personally, I'm really glad my last name is more complex then 'chicken leg'. It sounds so tasty and pathetic at the same time.

From pp. 264-265 of FPtM:

So far in this text I have made numerous references the the 'cross' (stauros) and 'crucifixion' (stauroo). But before we go any further it is time to clear up some misconceptions. Just as the Gospels' account of the 'life of Jesus' has influenced Christians and scholars to read that account back into the early Christian documents such as the letters of Paul, the account of the crucifixion in the Gospels and later Christian iconography has similarly influenced our understanding of crucifixion in the firsts century AD and prior. As a result, we think of crucifixion as a method of execution where the victim is often flogged, then nailed or tied to a cross-shaped object to die a slow death. But as Gunnar Samuelsson has shown, the pre-Christian sources are not so detailed.

After an exhaustive analysis of all the ancient references to crucifixion in Greek, Latin and Hebrew, Samuelsson concludes that prior to the New Testament, the best definitions we can come up with for the words associated with crucifixion are the following: the Greek verb stauoo simply meant "to suspend someone (dead or alive) ... on a pole (or similar structure)" and the noun stauros simply meant the pole or wooden frame on which the body (dead or alive) was suspended. There's no reason to think it was often cross-shaped. Outside the NT, the Greek word most often used to describe 'crucifixion' is anastauroun. About this word he writes:

"[Anastauroun] is commonly used in connection with suspension of corpses, whole or in parts, and impaling. The verb is used in some texts for executionary, ante-mortem, suspensions. ... However the majority of the texts containing [anastauroun] and referring to human suspensions are undefined when it comes to the nature of the suspension."

The only thing to be concluded for certain regarding Paul's use of the word for Jesus' crucifixion is that his death somehow involved the suspension of his body (dead or alive) on some type of wooden frame. Based on Samuelsson's work I would argue that despite Paul's frequent references to and emphasis on the 'cross' and 'crucifixion,' we cannot say with certainly that Paul's Jesus actually even died from crucifixion. In fact, his references to the Deuteronomy curse against against suspended corpses may even suggest just that. And while scourging did proceed some executions by crucifixion, the references to blood in the early Christian sources seem to imply a bloodier mode of death, perhaps prior to 'crucifixion' or suspension.

So why did the stauros become the cross, specifically, if there was no historical crucifixion of 'Jesus of Nazareth' to base it on? When we consider that Jesus "made a spectacle of the cosmic powers and authorities, and led them as captives in his triumphal procession," and the idea of the cross as a 'potent object,' one is reminded of the Roman tropaeum, a pole with a crossbeam on which spoils from a military campaign were displayed in the Roman triumphal procession to the accompaniment of music, clouds of incense and the strewing of flowers. At the end of the parade, the captured items would be dedicated to the gods. Like the stauros, it could take the shape of a pole or tree, but its most iconic form is the cross shape, used to display the armor of the defeated foe. I don't think it's a coincidence that the early Christians chose this form to represent the stauros.

We will come back to this later.

Reading this two days after my previous post in which I mentioned finding one of the meanings for Hon as being 'suspend', from the proto-Germanic *hanhan ('to hang'), with a connection to crucifixion, or rather, now, the tropaeum, I was pretty surprised.

The 'pole' imagery, if I combine it with the rooster, I think of weather vanes and church steeples. I also think of the 'bird on a stick' painting in the Lascaux caves, and of Liberty poles and the Phrygian cap on a pole (that would make a weird tropaeum).

I send my uncle info from time-to-time on what I’ve found in our genealogy and was beginning to write him an update of our family name before New Year’s. Looking for some clarification on a troublesome feminine element I noticed existing in Hohn/hon as well as attempting to find out more of the ‘bog/god’ connection, I did a search and got three Slavic deities that caught my interest: Svarog and his two sons Dazhbog and Svarozhits.

Svarog is a sky god, god of fire and blacksmithing and is equated with Hephaestus and Vulcan. His son, Dazhbog, is a major solar deity in slavic mythology. The wiki mentions that “Proto-Slavic *bogъ [god] is often considered to be an Iranian borrowing, "being related to Indo-Iranian Bhaga…”. And Svarozhits (-its, -ich = ‘son of…’) is also a god of fire, protection and war. The etymology of his name is interesting with translations from many languages as: quarrel, to argue, to swear, storm clouds, darkness, cloud, fog, cloudy sky, and heaven. But the one that caught my attention was from the Sanskrit svarati, “to sing”, “to sound” “to praise” (svara/svāna - “sound”). His father’s name, Svarog, consists of the stem svar (“heat”, “light”) which in turn was derived from the earlier *sur (“shining”).

I was most interested in Svarozhits since he was given the local nickname Radogost (Radagast) by the Polabians, a slavic tribe who had migrated from Czechia up the Elbe river to the same area where my family name is found.

Now, for some reason, after reading about these three, I started to get a strong feeling of Zoroastrianism focusing on the two personified deities Sraosha and his companion Parodarsh, the rooster (‘one who foresees the dawn’; ‘bird who sings (for sunrise)’ (*hanan/*hanon)).

But that’s kinda where it ended, for a time. I thought that srao and svar felt similar, and then to find “to sing” in the slavic mix… but I had no direct link. Still, I got sucked back in and revisited an article that I had forgotten I had read before and remembered I discarded because I couldn’t see any relevance at the time.

As a side note, it was around this time, right after finding the three Slavic deities, that I had an experience. After my bedtime routine, I lay down to sleep. I closed my eyes and, after a short while, before falling asleep, a light appeared that grew and grew in 'my mind' until it was quite bright. It was white with a yellow glow, warm, with the accompaniment of a pleasant feeling. It lasted for about twenty seconds then slowly dissipated. I can't say it was directly or indirectly related to the timing of this discovery since I have had a (very) few of these before.

I say ‘troublesome feminine element’ because it’s elusive, and in that regard I realise that I misread the etymonline entry for ‘cock’. I understood the Old Teutonic word for ‘cock’ to be *hanan while the word for ‘hen’ to be *hanon. But this is not the case. Both *hanan and *hanon are masculine while the entry for the feminine ‘hen’ (henn, henne, henna) is *hannjo. This entry goes on to mention that the original masculine (Hahn ‘cock’) survives in German, Swedish, Danish, etc., but the feminine does not. However, if I look up hohn on Glosbe, the Low German translation is ‘chicken’, but if capitalised (Hohn), the first translation is ‘hen’. That confused me a lot. Also, if I look up hon in Swedish, it means ‘she/her’, höna = ‘hen’, han = ‘he/him’, and hane = ‘male, cock, bull’; in Norwegian: høne = ‘hen/chicken’, han = ‘he’, and hane = ‘rooster/cock’; Danish: hone = ‘hen’, han = ‘he’, and hane = ‘rooster/cock’. So, if Hohn is supposed to be masculine, where is this feminine element coming from? I didn’t know. Retrospectively, I also saw ‘odd wording’ as well. I would see the neutral term ‘chicken’ used where I would expect to see the word ‘hen’- ‘rooster and chicken’ rather than ‘rooster and hen’. The point is that I was now aware of this feminine element discrepancy and was on the lookout for it.

The format challenged article that I revisited was A Thematic and Etymological Glossary of Aquatic and Bird Genera Names in Iranian Bundahism (download the six page pdf for a much easier read) by Golnar Ghalekhani and Mahdi Khaksar. This time, I paid closer attention to some words that turned out to be quite important.

3. xorus (cock) [DYLKA] xrōs (Mackenzie, 2011 p. 164)

... ud xrōs kē Parōdarš xwānēnd. (Pakzad, 2005 p. 174)

the cock which is called Parvadarsh (Bahar, 2011 p. 79).

Description:

The word cock is derived from √xraos meaning to roar and cry and roaring and crying.

This word has changed into xrōs , xrōh in Pahlavi language.

Using this description the Middle Persian word xrōs/xrōh refers to the “rooster, cock’ and is a cognate with the Sanskrit kruś meaning ’to call’. To hear examples of the pronunciation of xros (a few of which are ridiculous), go here. One of the pronunciations starts to sound like ‘cross’ which I thought was interesting, though it’s unpopular. There is another example of this found in Bengali and Urdu. It seems that the xr- changed to kr- (and also to gr-).

Another article sent me to a book called Dictionary of Khotan Saka by H. W. Bailey. On p. 93 there is an entry for grus- ‘to call’ which comes from: xraus- :xrus- 'to make noise, cry out', Av. xraos- … N.Pers. xuros ‘cock’. There are also many examples from Middle Parthian and Middle Persian that translate to ‘call’ and one example to ‘preacher’.

A search on Etymonline shows the PIE root for ‘to call, shout’ is *gal-, with a supported example from the Latin gallus “cock”. The root also forms the word Gallic, “of or pertaining to the French…Gaul or the Gauls”.

Now, Parodarsh is the companion of the major Zoroastrian deity Sraosha who exists in the Gathas, the oldest hymns of Zoroastrianism. Parodarsh does not. Sraosha's popularity has retained him into Iranian Islam as the angel Surōš. The Avestan SRAOŠA:

...is derived from an s-extension of √sraw-/sru- “to hear.” … As a common IIr. verb, the basic meaning is “to obey, be compliant, ” that is, “to hear and obey.”

It looks like √sraw-/sru- might be coming from the Sanskrit zrotum [zru] ‘to hear’. Incidentally, the Latin word ‘ausculto’ (obsculta) also means ‘hear, obey’. In an article titled In Search of the Message of Srōš: Investigation of the Deity Srōš and his Iconography During the Sasanian Period the authors suggest one of the motifs for Srōš (Sraosha), besides the rooster, is the ear (as well as a charioteer).

In the Avesta Yasna, Sraosha (mentioned 56 times) is translated as 'obedience' (mentioned 59 times) and is the most invoked when it comes to ritual sacrifices being a messenger angel between humans and Ahura Mazda. When reading through some of these, there are some interesting lines, but generally feels quite robotic. Also, Parodarsh does not show up. I haven't read them all, but out of all the mentions of Sraosha, this line stands out, for me, as the quintessential mindset:

7. (Yea), we sacrifice to Sraosha, Obedience the blessed.

However, putting all the liturgical stuff aside, if I put xraos and Sraosha/Sraosa (compare MPers. Srōš with xrōs) side by side, they are basically identical. So, one ‘hears and obeys the call’? But it felt more appropriate for 'the call' to belong to the rooster not Sraosha. So if I removed the rooster and looked at just the meaning of ‘Parodarsh’, would that reveal anything?

For reference, Parodarsh makes it's first appearance in the Vendidad, Fargard 18, II:22-26:

22. 'On the third part of the night, Atar, the son of Ahura Mazda,calls the holy Sraosha for help, saying: "Come thou, holy,well-formed Sraosha, [then he brings unto me some clean wood with his well-washed hands24.] Here comes Azi, made by the Daevas, who consumes me and wants to put me out of the world."

23. 'And then the holy Sraosha wakes up the bird named Parodarsh, which ill-speaking people call Kahrkatas, and the bird lifts up his voice against the mighty Ushah:

24. '"Arise, O men! recite the Ashem yad vahistem [Ashem Vohu] and the Naismi daevo 25. Lo! here is Bushyasta, the long-handed, coming upon you, who lulls to sleep again the whole living world as soon as it has awoke: 'Sleep!' [she says,] 'O poor man! the time is not yet come.'"

25. '"On the three excellent things be never intent, namely, good thoughts, good words, and good deeds; on the three abominable things be ever intent, namely, bad thoughts, bad words, and bad deeds."

26. 'And then bed-fellows address one another: "Rise up, here is the cock calling me up." Whichever of the two first gets up shall first enter Paradise: ...

The understanding is that the rooster wakes up people (on the third part of the night, so, before dawn) by scaring away Bushyasta, the demon of sloth and laziness, so that people can go to prayer. Bushyasta is the cause of procrastination that keeps people from their productive tasks.

The Ghalekhani and Khaksar paper provides the general translation of Parodarsh:

In Avesta the words Paro.darƏs (Pahlavi: Parodarš) means the foreseer (Parvad = Para) meaning to see the dawn before anyone and tell about the dawn (Abdullahi, 2002: 339).

Mahin Ahbabi from The Holiness of “Rooster” in Mithraism says:

In Avesta, the rooster is written as the Parodarsh (Paravdarš), which is composed of two parts of “Paroh” meaning “before”, and “Darash” meaning “to see” (Duchesne-Guillemin, Jacques (1988)) . This religious word means to predicate, it means that it has seen the light of the day in advance and gives the tiding of its entrance (Duchesne-Guillemin, Jacques (1988)).

The translation of ‘to see’ looks like it comes from the Avestan, Old Persian and Old Indian word dars-/drs- (embedded in the entry dirsūjsinä 'wishing to see') found on p.159 of Bailey's Saka. There is another meaning of dars- (embedded in the entry darv- 'to dare') found on p.153, that means ‘to dare’ and a suffix (-dar) meaning ‘to tear, split’ and ‘to scrape’.

Paro- becomes para- very quickly and there are a lot of entries. On p.214, there is para- ‘around, beyond’, para- ‘food’ and para- ‘going, journey’. On p.215, there is parā ‘sold’, parā ‘you are to deign to’, and parā ‘late for parau ‘order’’. On p.217, the Av. word parō shows up with parā, both embedded in the entry pare, all meaning ‘beyond’ and is the main definition for parō. Then, on p.230-1, there’s pāra- ‘cake’, pāra- ‘a measure’, pāra- ‘debt, to be paid’, pāra-/pārrā- ‘heel, end’, and pāra-/pārra- ‘wing, feather; leaf, petal’. On. p.239, pära- ‘worm’.

Out of all of the para- choices, the idea of ‘before, in advance, foresee’ may be coming from the definition of ‘beyond’ but there is no specific sense of ‘rooster’ anywhere except perhaps by association with ‘wing, feather’. There is zero immediate sense of ‘dawn’ or ‘light’.

However, there are even shorter versions of para that come into play. These words, also on p.230, make up a lot of other words but they have base meanings. First is per- ‘cross’, ‘cross over’, ‘pass’, ‘to hand over, give’, ‘convey over’, and ‘through’, ‘penetrate’. There's also par- 'to fill', 'to nourish' and 'to cause, effect'. Then there’s pär- with the ‘lesser’ meaning of ’convince, believe’ and it’s main meaning of ‘rear, feed’, ‘nourisher, parent’:

The personified female nurturer is Av. pārəndi-, parə̄ndi-, Zor.P. pārand, the chief of women (ratu-) named from her chief function to produce and rear children. The corresponding O.Ind. RV. pūraṃdhi- is similarly 'nurturer' as the quintescence of woman. … As the nourisher with pārāka- [‘nourisher, parent’], see Zor.P. pit parvarēt 'the father rears', and the Zor.P. gloss parvart ku vēh hart to Av. θraosta. IE Pok. 81S per- 'to rear', Lat. pariō, peperī, partus, parens, Lit. per- 'to brood over young', periu̇ perēti

Here I finally find a reference to the feminine and, as it happens, poultry, specifically the hen in terms of ‘brood’, even if it’s through the Latin.

Then I found this line in the Greater Bundahisn that should allude to the hen. (Ch. XV, A:11):

11. The peacock is the only one of the male birds which rears and lays eggs; for there is even a time when he lays the egg in the sight of men.

I've seen the peacock and cock get smeared together all over the place and here, as elsewhere, some authors interchange ‘cock’ and ‘peacock’. But here, the line clearly says ‘peacock’. Regardless, the line makes no sense since peacocks are male and cannot lay eggs. Peahens can. And, obviously, roosters don’t lay eggs either. Hens do.

But just a few lines previous in Ch. XV, 15 as it states:

15. The hen, which one calls the bird 'parodarsh' and also “foresighted," rears the egg every day. And there is a time when it lays the egg clandestinely, and there is a time when it does so openly in the midst of men; among the birds the hen alone is of this kind.

Besides the fact that this sounds like line 11, the hen is Parodarsh? Well, that’s a complete switch since Parodarsh is supposed to be male!

Anyway, Iranicaonline gave a little thought on these passages.

COCK
The Vidēvdād prefers the name parōdarš to xrōs, claiming that the bird would be more effective if people did not use the latter term; xrōs in the Bundahišn is used of a bird that lays eggs (TD 2, p. 115.1), so perhaps confusion with chickens was a reason to prefer the Avestan name.

Notice the word prefers and that the word xrōs is referring to the hen! And it specifically says in Fargard 18, II:28 of the Vendidad:

28. 'And whosoever will kindly and piously present one of the faithful with a pair of these my Parodarsh birds, a male and a female, O Spitama Zarathushtra! it is as though he had given a house with a hundred columns, a thousand beams, ten thousand large windows, ten thousand small windows.

So, Parodarsh is both male and female but the focus is being kept on the male with the female pushed to the background.

I realise now that Parodarsh is not a real bird especially when, on p. 64 of Saka, the word for ‘cock’ is kṛṅga, pakṣiṇaḥ, kukkuṭāḥ, kṛṃgga, krriṃgä and čuš (among others) and the ‘hen’ is k’arǰ, čirga, kerk and čaš (among others). It's not even close. The meanings from para and dars got zoomorphised onto the rooster as having ‘foresight’, in terms of 'dawn', as did xraos/xrōs, ‘the call’. So, if the ‘xrōs bird’ lays eggs then it is a hen, and since xraos means ‘call’ then that is female too, which means there are two calls. I wonder if, perhaps, in the spirit of ‘waking up’, the male ‘call’ is to ‘hear and obey’ while the female ‘call’ is one of ‘many are called, few choose to heed the call’? It's a bit unfair of me to separate male and female like this but I'm doing it just as an illustration.

There is also a possible connection, of sorts, with the widely revered Hindu goddess of knowledge, music, flowing water, abundance and wealth, art, speech, wisdom, and learning, named Saraswati (Sanskrit: Sarasvati) found in the Rigveda. Her name is a combination of saras ('pooling water', 'speech') and vati ('she who possesses'). In a 2018 list of 25 Lesser Known Facts About Saraswati, it is promoted that ‘she who has pooling water’ (ie: river, speech) is either known as (#3) Sraosha from Zoroastrianism, or is suggested to be akin either as his wife or the wife of Ahura Mazda. Her symbol is the (#4) peacock “whose crowing calls the pious to their religious duties,” which sounds remarkably similar to Parodarsh’s crowing at dawn to awaken people for morning prayers. In the Sanskrit, one of the words for ‘herald’ (nartaka) also means ‘peacock’ and ‘peahen’, though it’s main meaning appears to be ‘dancer’. There are some similarities between Sraosha/Parodarsh and Sarasvati/peacock.

So: Sarasvati- goddess -> svarati- ‘sound, sing, shine, praise’ -> Svarog and Svarozhits- Slavic deities. Maybe?

Getting back to the Saka dictionary, there is one final entry that really caught my attention. On p.231-2, there is this:

pāra- ‘boundary’… Av. pāra- from par- 'to cross' , Pašto pore 'beyond'; Zor.P. parr (pl) < *parna- ‘boundary’. IE Pok. 816 per- 'cross', O.Ind. pāra-.

Pāra also exists in Sanskrit:

Para: n. (rarely m.) the further bank or shore or boundary, any bank or shore, the opposite side, the end or limit of anything, the utmost reach or fullest extent etc. (dūr/e pār/e-, at the farthest ends ; pāraṃ-gam- etc. with genitive case or locative case, to reach the end, go through, fulfil, carry out [as a promise], study or learn thoroughly [as a science] etc.; pāraṃ-nī-, to bring to a close.

That can’t be a coincidence, can it? Not when the ‘rooster’ (Hahn (L.Ger.) and hana (O.Eng.)), ‘boundary’ (han (O.Eng.) ‘boundary (stone)’) and ‘cross, to cross’ (hon (O.Eng.) ‘hang, suspend, crucify’) are paralleling?

As a side note, there was something that made me cock my head (:-D) and say "Huh?". In the story of the death of Socrates, his apparent final words were, “Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?” I thought it was rather odd that Parodarsh is represented as a cock and that one of the definitions for pāra- is ‘debt, to be paid’. The Sanskrit para also carries a definition of 'carry out [as a promise]'.

Cont...

Last edited:
Last Thrusday night, I had several dreams, which I don't remember, except one. It took place in some warehouse type buildings and outside, which was a calm sunny day. I was running around trying to find a place to hide from something that was trying to get me. I ran outside and stood in the flat gravel area, like a parking lot, a little ways from the front door frantically trying to figure out where to go when I looked up at this creature with an angry face and shining eyes who was on the other side of the building. I didn't see it's body. It's head was the same size as it's thick, and impossibly long (like an elephant's trunk) neck, which cleared the roof of the building and was staring right at me. I ran into the building through a large open bay door to hide from other smaller creatures (that I never saw) who were hunting me. I can't remember if I woke up at this point but it was a very short dream. I don't know if it had anything to do with the post above, but I thought I would just mention it here as an addition to my post.

---

There is another element that has also been zoomorphised into the rooster and that is the ‘herald’. The definition of a herald is:

1) A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger
2) One that gives a sign or indication of something to come; a harbinger
3) An official whose specialty is heraldry

Here is the Perseus word frequency chart for the Greek word κῆρυξ (kêrux- 'herald, pursuivant'). It shows up as several word classes 884 times in that list and, being specific, 44 times in the Iliad and 46 times in the Odyssey.

There are several different types of herald. Many of them messengers carrying orders or whatnot from a king or some important person to other specific people or to the general public. In historical times, some had an exalted position of being a court herald which was a royal position and could be hereditary. The term also seemed to expand at some point, and became applied to thespians and merchants, the type who cried out ‘fresh fish’ in a town market. Auctioneers, news reporters and even social media 'influencers' would now also be considered types of heralds.

There is another type of herald, that of a preacher which has a religious overtone. Generally, men ‘of the cloth’ are portrayed as being intermediaries between god and the people which mirrors the political hierarchy and social epithet. In the Iliad, there are a few examples of this:

Homer, The Illiad, p.26-7:
Such was the verdict of the gathering. And now Odysseus, sacker of cities, rose to speak with the staff in his hand. Athene of the Flashing Eyes, disguising herself as a herald, stood beside him and called the Assembly to order, so that the farthest rows of Achaeans, as well as those in front, might hear his words and understand their purport.

P. 318:
The god took the form of a herald, Periphas son of Epytus, who was kindly disposed to Aeneas, having served his old father as a herald till he himself was old. In this disguise, Apollo son of Zeus accosted him and said:

P. 425:
Menelaus had by no means forgiven Antilochus and he now got up in a very ugly mood. A herald handed him the speaker’s staff and called for silence. Then Menelaus spoke, looking the king he was.

P. 440:
The Angel of Zeus went up to Priam and addressed him. She spoke in a gentle voice, but his limbs began at once to tremble. ‘Courage, Dardanian Priam!’ she said. ‘Compose yourself and have no fears. I come here not as a herald of evil but on a friendly mission. And I am sent to you by Zeus, who, far off as he is, is much concerned on your behalf and pities you. The Olympian bids you ransom Prince Hector by taking presents to Achilles which will melt his heart. …

In three of the examples a staff is mentioned before speech. Here are a few other examples of heralds, where only one wand (staff) is mentioned, that pertain to dawn:

P. 20-1:
When Heavenly Dawn reached high Olympus, announcing day to Zeus and the other gods, Agamemnon ordered his clear-voiced heralds to summon the long-haired Achaeans to Assembly. The heralds cried their summons and the soldiers speedily trooped in. But first he called a meeting of the Royal Council beside the ship of Nestor, King of Pylos, and when he had gathered them together, unfolded a subtle plan to his Councillors.

‘Friends,’ he began, ‘I was visited in my sleep by a Dream from Heaven, which came to me through the solemn night, and in its looks, its stature and its bearing resembled my lord Nestor most exactly. It stood beside me and addressed me by my royal titles. “Are you asleep?” it said. “It is not right for a ruler who has the nation in his charge, a man with so much on his mind, to sleep all night. Listen to me carefully, and understand that I come to you from Zeus, who, far off as he is, is much concerned on your behalf and pities you. He wishes you to prepare your long-haired troops for battle instantly. Your chance of capturing the spacious city of Troy has come. For the immortals that live on Olympus are no longer divided on that issue. Here’s pleading has converted them all, and the Trojans’ doom is sealed by Zeus. Remember what I have said.” With that it flew away and I woke up.

P. 415-6:
At the time when the Morning Star comes up to herald a new day on earth, and in his wake Dawn spreads her saffron mantle over the sea, the flames expired, and the Winds set out for home across the Thracian Sea, where the roaring waves ran high.

P. 444-5:
Zeus had spoken. [Hermes] The Guide and Giant-Killer at once obeyed him and bound under his feet the lovely sandals of untarnishable gold that carried him with the speed of the wind over the water or the boundless earth; and he picked up the wand which he can use at will to cast a spell on our eyes or wake us from the soundest sleep. With this wand in his hand the mighty Giant-Slayer made his flight and soon reached Troyland and the Hellespont.

If I put all these selections together, the two main points that stand out for me are 'speech' and 'light'.

The latter three selections also have an oddly Zoroastrian feel to them. There is no rooster, but the staffs mentioned are known as the 'kerykeion' (karykeion, caduceus). In a lecture from 1976 titled What is Preaching According to the New Testament?, I find an etymological tie for κῆρυξ (kêrux).

(a) Kērussein [κηρύσσειν (κηρύσσω)- strong Greek verb for ‘to be a herald, proclaim’]

Undoubtedly the verb κηρύσσειν takes a prominent, perhaps we may say the prominent, place among these 33 verbs. In the opening part of the very first Gospel, the Gospel of Mark, it appears to occupy a key position. It is used of John the Baptist in 1:4, of Jesus Himself in 1:14 and a little later of the apostles in 3:14. According to the philologists it has an old-Persian root xrausa, meaning to cry out loud and clear, as when one cries out a message in the presence of many people. In Greek usage, outside the New Testament, it has a variety of meanings, but is in particular used for the activity of an herald (a κήρυξ) who makes an announcement or declaration. An interesting example is the use of the verb by Plutarch [Plut. Flam. 10] [Plut. Flam. 12]. In 197 B.C. the Roman general Titus Quinctius defeated the army of King Philip V of Macedonia, at Kynoskephalei in Greece. The following year, on the occasion of the Isthmian Games, a delegate from Rome, a certain Flaminius, announced this victory of the Romans to the Greeks present at the games. (Plutarch uses the verb κηρύσσειν here!) At the same time Flaminius also announced the liberty and autonomy of Greece. The two facts were connected. At the moment that Flaminius announced the victory, the Greek virtually became free. By his 'proclamation' he, as it were, set an existing fact into motion. New freedom became a reality for the Greek.

In the New Testament κηρύσσειν has this same double meaning. It is the announcement of an event, but at the same time also of what this event has done or does to the listener. In the act of the κηρύσσειν the event becomes reality for the listener. It is therefore of essential importance that the herald brings the right announcement. He is not allowed to give his own opinion, but may only pass on a message he himself has received from the one who sends him. Friedrich says: "It is demanded that they (the heralds) deliver their message as it was given to them. The essential point about the report which they give is that it does not originate with them. Behind it stands a higher power. The herald does not express his own views. He is the spokesman for his master""/10/ The New Testament again and again emphasizes this content of the message. This is probably also the reason why the noun κήρυξ occurs only three times in the New Testament (1 Tim. 2:7; 2 Tim. 1:11; 2 Pet. 2:5). In ordinary Greek literature the κήρυξ himself has a position of significance at the court. He is a very important man, to whom not only political but also religious significance is ascribed. He is a 'sacral person'./11/ In the New Testament such connotations are absent, for the herald is not the main thing, but his work: the announcement of God’s salvation in Jesus Christ. It is therefore not surprising to see that the main emphasis in the New Testament is on the verb κηρύσσειν.

So, that kêrux is coming from xraos groups these staffs and the rooster, and peacock, together. And there cannot be a message if there is no herald.

I had a thought about these heralds and the messages they were carrying or being spoken through. I wondered, who's speaking? Is the originator of the message one of the 'light of creativity' or of the 'light of entropy'? And then further, once the message is received, the recipient could repeat it honestly, modify it or reject it (all to one's detriment? -> depending on one's alignment?).

I'm going to post the second verb as well because it's tied to the first.

b) Euangelizesthai [Ευαγγελίζεσθαι- “bring good news”; ευ- (“good”) and ἄγγελος (ángelos, “messenger”).]

The second important verb is ευαγγελίζεσθαι which occurs 44 times in the New Testament. According to Friedrich /14/ it is synonymous with κηρύσσειν. Several times the words are used interchangeably or even together (Luke 8:1). Having its background in the Old Testament, especially in some passages in Second Isaiah (Is. 52:7 and 61:1-3) it emphasizes that proclamation is the bringing of 'good news' (εὐαγγέλιον). Just as in the case of κηρύσσειν it is used in the Gospels, of John the Baptist (Luke 3:18), of Jesus (who applies Is. 61:1-3 to Himself, cf. Luke 4:18; Matt. 11:5) and of the disciples (Luke 9:6). In all cases the good news is that in Jesus the promised Kingdom of God has come. After the resurrection Jesus Himself becomes the object of this ευαγγελίζεσθαι, cf. Acts 5:42; 8:35; 11:20; 17: 18; Gal. 1:16. At times it is used for preaching in the absolute sense (Acts 14:7; Rem. 15:20; I cor. 1:17; 9:16,18).

Always however, just as in the case of κηρύσσειν, it is the proclamation or preaching of an event. The preaching is not itself the saving event, but it is the revelation of the saving event. But as its revelation it also makes this saving event a reality for all who hear and believe the message. Friedrich is undoubtedly correct when he writes: ευαγγελίζεσθαι is not just speaking and preaching; it is proclamation with full authority and power. Signs and wonders accompany the evangelical message. They belong together, for the Word is powerful and effective. The proclamation of the grace, of the rule of God, creates a healthy state in every respect. Bodily disorders are healed and man's relation to God is set right.... Joy reigns where this Word is proclaimed (Acts 8:8). It brings σωτηρία [sótéria- 'salvation', 'deliverance'] (I Cor. 15:lf.). It is the ὁδὸν σωτηρίαζ [hodon sótéria- 'the way of salvation'] (Acts 16:17). It effects regeneration (I Pet. 1:23-25). It is not a word of man, but the living eternal word of God.... Hence ευαγγελίζεσθαι is to offer salvation. It is the powerful proclamation of the good news, the impartation of σωτηρία. /15/"

Ángelos (ἄγγελος) or 'angel', is most commonly known as a heavenly spirit, but has an unknown etymology of possible Asian origin. It may be related to the word ἄγγᾰρος (ángaros) which is a 'Persian mounted courier, for carrying royal dispatches'.

Throughout, the feminine is hard to find but it is there which, as we already know, played the leading role before being almost completely erased and replaced by an STS heirarchy.

Lastly, there are a few ideas I came up with of a speculative nature when I started combining what I had found.

'The call’ and ‘the herald’ are associated with communication. If I add 'dawn' (which is the 'boundary' between night and day), or rather, just ‘light’ to the mix, could it then be something like superluminal communication? Now, if gods were originally comets and mythical birds were also comets, does the rooster fit in with this somehow? I’m not entirely sure if a straight one-to-one metaphor can be made with a rooster to a comet mostly because chickens don’t really fly like, say, hawks, crows or phoenixes do. But regardless, I thought about the combination of communication and comets and surprisingly remembered the caption on this year’s FOTCM calendar for July 16 that, in 1994, first contact with the C’s was made on the same day as comet Shoemaker-Levy plowed into Jupiter. The comet was the herald?

I mentioned earlier that the current Islamic name for Srousha is the angel Surōš. It has slightly different spellings in other languages:

- Süruş

- Sorôš
: 1) (Islam, poetry) A messenger angel who brings good news from God, an Islamization of the Zoroastrian figure; often considered a Persian name or title of the archangel Gabriel; 2) (Zoroastrianism, Iranian mythology) Sraosha, yazata of conscience; 3) a male given name, Soroosh

- Saroš: 1) Islamic Gabriel; 2) a heavenly voice which comes from the divine, an unseen voice from Heaven; the voice of an angel; 3) (by extension) intuition; 4) (figurative) good news.

George Soros is actually the first thing that came to my mind, but if I put him in the hypothetical role of a 'high ranking' herald, the definitions take on a very dark meaning.

I then did a search on the word ‘saros’ just to see what would come up and quickly got something called the Saros Cycle. When I did a search on the forum, my mind snapped into a completely different focus when I (re-)read the first post to 19 Year Cycle Lunar Standstill Upcoming, revealing an 18 year, 11.33 day cycle for predicting eclipses and also showed the 19 year Metonic Cycle. Is there a tie between 'Srousha' and this Saros cycle? I also noticed that the first part of Saraswati's name, saras 'pooling water', is sometimes translated as 'speech' which ties in with 'call'. Also, I mentioned the Sanskrit word nartaka which means 'dancer', 'herald', 'peacock', and 'peahen' (as well as 'dancing-master', 'cause to dance', 'bard', 'singer', 'actor').

What strikes me as most significant is the "Dancing God" and music and the "celebratory" nature of the interaction.

The ‘Xraos Cycle’?

In FPtM on p. 298-299, Laura writes about Paul's dynamic view of righteousness:

Divine agency is powerfully present and operative in the life of a person who who has accepted that possibility as real via the exemplary agent of Christ. In this dynamic interaction, the person who strives to conform to the norms of the Christian life is brought from the darkness of their former life into the experience of salvation. Thus, in Paul's statement, "the righteousness from God that depends on faith," righteousness is not human conduct, but the reaching down of the divine grace to draw up and transform the person's life in the process of transformation from sin, darkness and death to salvation, light and life. Active righteousness from God is concurrent with the active human participation of faith, i.e. accepting the exemplar of Christ and conforming to the Christian norms. Paul is emphatic about the process:

"Not that I have already attained or am already perfected, but I press on to lay hold of that for which Christ laid hold of me. My brothers and sisters, I do not consider that I have already laid hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind, and straining towards what lies ahead, I press on to the finishing line, for the prize of God's upward call in Christ Jesus." (802)

Faith is strenuous activity and isn't just 'believing'. The role of divine agency as the complement to human agency is far more emphatically asserted in Paul's Christianity, thus its total incompatibility with Judaism.

(802) Phil. 3:12-14. According to Engberg-Petersen (2000), Paul is referring to the 'call' of God via Christ, which pulls up the believer toward Him - in this case Paul. This is achieved via the pneuma or spirit, a portion of which has entered into the bodies of the community of believers, and which will come in its full power at the parousia to transform their bodies into pneumatic/spiritual/heavenly bodies.

This transformation process sounds a bit like 'dawn', in this case, the boundary between sin and salvation.

I had to look up the word parousia. When I did an internet search, the first thing to come up (all over the place) was the Second Coming, the idea that Jesus will return to Earth after his ascension into heaven, and continue his work, world peace, save the world, judge the sinners, etc. But Bible Gateway provides some other info that the wiki page (specifically) does not have:

The noun parousia (παρουσία, G4242) ... is a compound form composed of the preposition παρά (G4123) “alongside, beside” and the substantival form of the verb εἰμί (G1639) “to be.” It basically means “being alongside of” and conveys the sense of the Eng. word “presence.” ...
The term parousia does not in itself denote a return. The exact phrase “the Second Coming” is not used in the NT and does not occur in Christian lit. until the time of Justin Martyr (c. a.d. 150).
In Hel. lit. [Hellenistic? literature] the term also was used in a cultic sense of the manifestation of some hidden deity who made his presence known by revelation or whose presence was celebrated in the ritual.

Back
Top Bottom