The Arrival of Mind Reading Machines

3D Student said:
I'm kind of doubtful about third density mind reading machines.

Same here. I have no way of knowing what may have been developed in secret, but I have yet to read an article on so-called mind-reading that justifies the conclusion that any mind-reading machine exists. The article in the OP indicates 250 trials were made to get 71% accuracy within such constraining conditions that the subject might as well have been put in a strait-jacket.

Some two years before that (2005, I think) a similar article came out involving the use of fMRI machines and subjects looking at a pattern on paper. As I seem to recall, the results of the experiment at the time were touted as proof our mind could be read by machines. There were so many layers of assumptions between the actual data and the interpretation though, one wonders how anybody even bought into the story.

I think the best that could actually be said is that what the researchers actually recorded were simply patterns of nerve excitation from the rods in the eye to their destination brain neuron and synaptic activity. So it's more like tapping a trunk nerve rather than reading a mind. They couldn't possibly have graphed anything as subjective as the subject's actual subjective experience of what they reportedly felt was the image being represented within the pattern of lines. No such image showed up in the neural activity recorded. IOW, all the fMRI could show is the overall pattern representation in those nerve excitation patterns. Nothing more could be demonstrated or repeated, let alone proven.

That some people seem to have such a hard time telling the difference between data and conclusions, says a lot in itself, I think.

Seeker of Truth said:
This subject of mind reading machines is something I need info on. Is anyone aware of a mind reading machine or device available in the USA that can read every little thought, concept, or picture in your head as clearly as if the user was inside your mind? I can find NO info on something this advanced on the net, but my stalkers claim that anyone can do this now with some simple device from the store (which they are using on me of course).

If this is true, this is a way more outrageous and horrible thing than the NSA reading people's emails and phone calls! To me at least, one's mental privacy is the second most precious thing humans possess next to Free Will. If there is a device like this that's freely available to anyone, how could one block it without resorting to a tinfoil hat? Something like this is mind rape!

Hello Seeker,

I do not thing that the mind reader is the issue and since you brought this here, do you mind if I ask you some question?

1/How did you end up start communicating with your stalker?
2/Why do you think that someone with such device would bother telling you so?
3/Did you take some basic measure to protect yourself? (I am not talking about getting weapon and such, but about ways to prevent the harassment.)

Thanks

What follows is a form of mind reading, IMO.
Check out this video of neural processing of input images in a cat brain. Just bizarre. Human face appears/is interpreted as somewhat feline.

https://youtu.be/FLb9EIiSyG8

The fact that our phones are listening to us used to be a crazy conspiracy, until it turned out that they do. It started off with people reporting that they had a conversation about something and then they saw ads about that very topic online. Now this is a commonly known digital marketing tool.

But you may have heard jokes about our phones reading our minds, with ads popping up about something someone thought about, but never really verbalised. It happened to me too, but I dismissed and assumed I was either a coincidence, or I just didn't remember saying it.

Well, this too may not be just a joke. I bumped into the below article about a group of researchers from Osaka who were able to reconstruct visual images from a MRI scan using AI. I can't help but wonder if that kind of tech already exists and is in use.

Full article can be read here: AI re-creates what people see by reading their brain scans

And here's a short excerpt:
As neuroscientists struggle to demystify how the human brain converts what our eyes see into mental images, artificial intelligence (AI) has been getting better at mimicking that feat. A recent study, scheduled to be presented at an upcoming computer vision conference, demonstrates that AI can read brain scans and re-create largely realistic versions of images a person has seen. As this technology develops, researchers say, it could have numerous applications, from exploring how various animal species perceive the world to perhaps one day recording human dreams and aiding communication in people with paralysis.

Many labs have used AI to read brain scans and re-create images a subject has recently seen, such as human faces and photos of landscapes. The new study marks the first time an AI algorithm called Stable Diffusion, developed by a German group and publicly released in 2022, has been used to do this. Stable Diffusion is similar to other text-to-image “generative” AIs such as DALL-E 2 and Midjourney, which produce new images from text prompts after being trained on billions of images associated with text descriptions. (...)

1677867737233-mri.jpeg

More info:
High-resolution image reconstruction with latent diffusion models from human brain activity
Researchers use people's brain activity to generate AI images

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom