Stonehenge Articles

I definitely think there's something to Stonehenge Acoustics. What that may be, though, I have no idea. However I did come across this article recently:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/rock-the-bells--stonehenge-pieces-may-have-been-chosen-for-acoustic-properties-032524537.html

It also has links to other related articles. I find it interesting that certain stones can be struck to produce particular tones, and even played like an instrument. It certainly makes me wonder what exactly it was used for in relation to early society.

"The pillars that form Stonehenge may have been chosen because they were like sacred “prehistoric glockenspiels”, according to researchers.

The sonorous quality of some of the bluestones used for the monument built between 3,000 BC and 1,600 BC may explain why they were transported 200 miles from Pembrokeshire, Wales, when there were plenty of local rocks to use nearby.

‘Archeo-acoustic’ expert Paul Devereux, the principal investigator on the Landscape and Perception Project, explained the choice to the BBC.

“There had to be something special about these rocks,” he said.

“Why else would they take them from here [Wales] all the way to Stonehenge?”

“It hasn't been considered until now that sound might have been a factor,” he said".

_http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stonehenge-is-like-a-sacred-prehistoric-glockenspiel-researchers-claim-9168812.html

The subject of ancient stone constructions is fascinating. I am currently reading 'Ancient Energies of the Earth: A groundbreaking exploration of the Earth's natural energy and how it affects our health' by David Cowan with Anne Silk. http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Energies-Earth-Extraordinary-Journey/dp/0722538006 (it seems the sub-title was changed from my library edition). It is really well written and Mr. Cowan walked over 3,000 miles through Scotland dowsing and documenting the ley lines and standing stones. The book is full of scientific material about acoustic properties, cup-marked stones, electro-magnetic properties, even poltergeists and more.

I found this book review:
This mega-important book went 'Out of Print' immediately why ?

Book review and observations by Lifetraveller: David Cowan could be touching on the reality of how those who stole the ancient knowledge from us are able to control humanity by using and manipulating the natural and man-made earth ley energy system to their own ends.

Cowan's book is a masterpiece of information exposing the existence of earth ley energies and their usage by the ancients for healing purposes, which should not only never be out of print; but should be compulsory reading for those interested in healing, the origins of standing stones and megaliths such as Stonehenge, the phenomenon of white and black energy spirals emanating from the earth and the most plausible explanation of the formation of crop circles.

Cowan has walked more than 3,000 miles over the hills of his native Perthshire, Scotland after stumbling upon an energy being emitted from a well known local standing stone. Cowan is a highly respected dowser, the kind of person who uses divining rods to find water, and whilst walking around this standing stone he found that his divining rods kept veering off in one particular direction, so he followed this 'energy'. By following the direction the rods (he quickly resorted to using one) were pointing and with them constantly bringing him back on the track of the energy, he climbed up and over a hill, down the other side and found the energy guided him directly to another standing stone ! This astonishing discovery took Cowan on his epic of journeys on which he discovered and followed numerous energy lines, 'leys' connecting all kinds of standing stones, ancient buildings and sites.

He identified that some of these ley energy lines were natural and some were man made, deliberately made to send the leys through the houses, now called 'shielings' or ruins, of the ancients for healing purposes. By striking a large stone and hence making 'cup marks' (indents) into it the stone begins emitting energy, because unlike when you energise a ball by throwing it and it stops when it runs out of your energy, the energy created by hitting the stone has nowhere to go or 'run out' and so the stone begins emitting it in a steady stream. By placing the stone upright and directing the energy now being emitted in a certain direction, say to other energised stones far away, a ley energy grid can be set up and Andrew Cowan shows how to build your own ley energy grid in 'Ancient Energies of the Earth'.

But Cowan's travels and his life's work identified far more. He found that ley lines wander off-line to pass through cavities, such as a dead sheep's skull out on the moorland, a graveyard (the graves forming cavities) as well as water in the form of small ponds or lakes. After passing through these any ley he was following would always come back on line in the direction it had originally been heading. In other words if you build a cavity you can pull ley energies to it and through it and then they will return to being 'on line'.

Cavities can be small or large such as churches, temples, cathedrals, domes, stately homes, palaces, sporting arenas and any other kind of 'cavity' you can think of. Archways are also cavities of a kind. All of these will be pulling natural and man-made ley energies both to and through themselves.

Cowan had previously found that white and black energy spirals emanate from the earth in certain places. He found that white energy makes a spiral one way as it rises and that it is healthy for human beings, black energy spirals the other way and is extremely unhealthy. He had already cured a number of people from severe ailments by identifying black energy spirals coming up through their houses and even under the beds of some, through using his divining rods. By placing interlocking glass plates over these black energy spirals Cowan was able to direct them away from people's houses/beds and within a few weeks or months they invariably made a 'miraculous' recovery. Cowan's work in these areas of Geopathic Stress is of the utmost importance as exposure to black energy can cause ME (Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome), MS, Necrotosing Fasciitis, Motor Neurone Disease, Alzheimers, Epilepsy, Asthma, Rheumatism, Heart Problems, Allergies and Insomnia and Demonic Possession.

Just as the striking of a stone energises it so that it begins emitting energy, the forces unleashed by the shifting of tectonic plates deep within the earth result in the permanent emission of these good or bad energies in certain places, which can be used for good or bad purposes if one knows how.

Cowan identifies well known and lesser known leys running across the British Isles with some of the major ones having countless standing stone, megalithic and ancient ritual sites along their length. The ancients understood exactly what they were doing.

He also shows two leys running from the Hebridean Islands to the West of Scotland, where the Callanish standing stone megalith is located. One runs due South and meets the Giants Causeway in the North of Ireland. The other runs East North East and passes along the Northern Coast of Scotland, running close to or through the DouneReay Nuclear Reactor and then along to the Queen Mother's Castle Mey on its way.

He also shows two of the main ley lines in England. The first runs from the North West to the South West and the second runs from the South East to the South West. Both have countless ancient sites along their length and both (this author has researched) have the majority of the UK's nuclear power generating stations on or very close to them.

I would like to discuss some of the acoustic sections of the book, but will wait until I've read the whole thing. Just thought I'd mention the book though, as it really is a great read, well researched.

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I was doing a little bit of search and couldn't find anything on it. I guess they found what the C's once talked about on one of the logs; something about an "extension" to the Stonehenge that hadn't been discovered because it was buried, or something along those lines.

http://www.sott.net/article/301229-Huge-ritual-monument-found-hidden-near-Stonehenge

I wonder what the entire structure would look like if all of it was "unearthed."

D'Ankhiar said:
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I was doing a little bit of search and couldn't find anything on it. I guess they found what the C's once talked about on one of the logs; something about an "extension" to the Stonehenge that hadn't been discovered because it was buried, or something along those lines.

http://www.sott.net/article/301229-Huge-ritual-monument-found-hidden-near-Stonehenge

I wonder what the entire structure would look like if all of it was "unearthed."

D'Ankhiar,

I am not sure that even the current rendition of Stonehenge is positioned as it was originally. It was reconstructed or restored around 1954. Here are a couple of links with some interesting pictures if you haven't already seen some: _http://www.maxresistance.com/1954-photos-show-stonehenge-being-built/ or here: http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/12/330623.html?c=on

It is not like what we see now were stones left standing for years but just the restoration project's idea of where they should be placed and assembled. FWIW

I didn't know that, interesting! A little disappointing too, but not at all surprising. Thanks for the links :)

D'Ankhiar said:

I was looking at the aerial photograph of this site, and it appeared to me that the complete structure would be in the shape of a HORSESHOE.
I wonder if that's close enough..

MusicMan said:
D'Ankhiar said:

I was looking at the aerial photograph of this site, and it appeared to me that the complete structure would be in the shape of a HORSESHOE.
I wonder if that's close enough..

At the risk of making noise rather than "mirth" I can't help but say, sure, I think it's "close enough for horseshoes". :lol2:

This interesting site was featured in an article in the August 2014 National Geographic magazine.

Archaeologist Nick Card writes that the site had been deliberately buried about 2,300 BC. The Göbekli Tepe site in Turkey is also thought to have been deliberately buried about 8,000 BC? (e.g. Robert Schoch, Forgotten Civilization, p. 52.)

The text of the article, without the pictures, is here:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/neolithic-orkney/smith-text

Why Orkney of all places? How did this scatter of islands off the northern tip of Scotland come to be such a technological, cultural, and spiritual powerhouse? “For starters, you have to stop thinking of Orkney as remote,” says Caroline Wickham-Jones, a lecturer in archaeology at the University of Aberdeen. “For most of history, from the Neolithic to the Second World War, Orkney was an important maritime hub, a place that was on the way to everywhere.”

But sometime around the year 2300 B.C., for reasons that remain obscure, it all came to an end. Climate change may have played a role. Evidence suggests that northern Europe became cooler and wetter toward the end of the Neolithic, and these conditions may have had a negative effect on agriculture.
[. . .]
Whatever the reason, the ancient temple was decommissioned and partially destroyed, deliberately and symbolically. Before the people moved on, they left behind one final startling surprise for archaeologists to find: the remains of a gargantuan farewell feast. More than 400 cattle were slaughtered, enough meat to have fed thousands of people.

“The bones all appear to have come from a single event,” says Ingrid Mainland, an archaeozoologist from the University of the Highlands and Islands who specializes in ancient livestock. She has been analyzing the piles of bones that were deliberately arranged around the temple. Curiously, the people who ate that final feast left behind only the shinbones of the animals they slaughtered. “What the significance of the tibia was to them, where that fits in the story, is a mystery,” says Mainland.

Another unknown is what impact killing so many cattle may have had on this agricultural community. “Were they effectively taking out the future productivity of their herds?” wonders Mainland. “We don’t know.”

After cracking open the bones to extract the rich marrow inside, the people arranged them in intricate piles around the base of the temple. Next they draped unbutchered deer carcasses over the piles, presumably as offerings. In the center of the chamber they deposited a cattle skull and a large stone engraved with a sort of cup motif. Then came the final act of closure.

“They deliberately demolished the buildings and buried them under thousands of tons of rubble and trash,” says Card. “It seems that they were attempting to erase the site and its importance from memory, perhaps to mark the introduction of new belief systems.”

Hithere said:
_http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19276-acoustic-archaeology-the-secret-sounds-of-stonehenge.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

Looks like there is some interest in Stonehenge's sound transmitting properties. Not much knowledge to be had from this experiment, but maybe they'll be allowed to conduct larger-scale experiments in the future?

I'm getting to this topic a little late. Anyway, the article above mentions research done on the acoustics at Maryhill Stonehenge. I visited the replica in Washington state this past July, hadn't been planning to but was driving East on the HWY along the Columbia River Gorge with my cousin and there up ahead was a museum I'd been wanting to visit but had forgotten where it was since I'd been there about 20 years ago..the Maryhill Museum of Art, a short distance away is Maryhill Stonehenge which we went to next.

Recently found another article on Sott.net that also mentions this same research project at Maryhill Stonehenge, really interesting how the topics link together, especially the info about crystals:

https://www.sott.net/article/244819-The-Cs-Hit-List-07-Sun-Star-Companion-Singing-Stones-and-Smoking-Visions

This thread has some information that fits wells with this one: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42433.msg679271.html#msg679271 It features a video about thousands of stone, doorless, geometric walled areas which are interconnected across southern Africa. At 43:03 Michael Tellinger discusses the singing stones used to build these structures.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/20/dutch-invaders-stonehenge-ancient-britons (two photographs omitted)

Did Dutch hordes kill off the early Britons who started Stonehenge?

A gene study has shown that incomers could have ousted Stone Age Britons

Robin McKie Science editor Sunday 21 May 2017 00.05 BST

The men and women who built Stonehenge left an indelible mark on the British landscape. However, researchers have discovered that their impact on other aspects of the nation may have been less impressive. In particular, their input into Britain’s gene pool appears to have fizzled out, having been terminated by light-skinned Bronze Age invaders who arrived just as Ancient Britons were midway through their great Stone Age project. In the end, these newcomers may have completely replaced the people who were building Stonehenge.

This startling conclusion is the result of a huge gene study of humans in prehistoric Europe. It shows that around 2500BC – when the main sections of Stonehenge were under construction – a race of people known to archaeologists as the Beaker folk arrived in Britain. Their genetic profiles were similar to individuals who were living in the Netherlands at the time. In just a short period, all genetic traces of early Stone Age Britons were replaced by those from these continental newcomers, although work on Stonehenge continued.

“It is very striking. There seems to have been a complete replacement of the original folk of Britain with these newcomers,” said Garrett Hellenthal, a statistical geneticist based at University College London. “Normally you get some older DNA surviving with a wave of immigrants, even a fairly large wave. But you don’t see that in this case. Frankly it looks more like an invasion.”

The arrival and spread of the Beaker folk is one of the most intriguing puzzles of European prehistory. These people made complex, very distinctive ornaments in silver and gold and constructed distinctive bell-shaped pots or beakers from which they get their name.

Around 4,500 years ago, this distinctive style of pottery suddenly appeared in the archaeological record and spread across Europe before arriving in Britain.

But what propelled this cultural transformation? Did Beaker pots spread because they were considered to be the hottest things in Bronze Age fashion? Or does the appearance of Beaker artifacts reflect a huge migration – or possibly invasion – of humans who brought their ornaments and tools with them? Was it the idea that expanded, or was it a tide of invaders or migrants that spread through Europe? Archaeologists have remained divided over the issue.

The recently published gene study [doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/135962] – published on the website bioRxiv earlier this month – was designed to provide an answer, and in one respect at least it has succeeded. When it comes to Britain, the pots were definitely accompanied by the people who made them, in what may or may not have been a violent invasion.

The study was one of the largest ancient genome analyses ever undertaken. Led by Iñigo Olalde and David Reich of Harvard Medical School, it involved more than 100 scientists working at several dozen research centers in different countries and included analyses of more than a million pieces of DNA taken from remains found at burial sites of people who had lived across Europe between 4700BC and 1200BC. The results were startling.

“Essentially, two different patterns were discovered,” said archaeologist Marc Vander Linden, of University College London. In continental Europe, when Beaker artifacts appear in the archaeological record there is no change in the DNA profiles from the remains of people who lived then. There was no replacement. “In Europe, it was the pots – and other fashionable artifacts – that moved, not the people,” added Linden. In other words, Beaker artifacts spread across the continent as an idea or fashion, or cultural craze.

But there was an exception. In Britain, the arrival of Beaker pots and artifacts was very different. It coincided exactly with the disappearance of the genetic signatures of the Stone Age people who had been living there. This was replaced with DNA associated with a group of Beaker users who have been traced to a region in the modern Netherlands. In other words, Beaker artifacts appeared not as an exported fashion, but as items carried by waves of immigrants or by people carrying out an invasion. Once in Britain, these incomers, bearing Beaker items, replaced the Stone Age people who had been living there. Whether this was a violent takeover is unclear. No evidence of battles has ever been found.

Nevertheless this replacement is definitely surprising, Pontus Skoglund, a Harvard Medical School geneticist, says in this week’s Nature. It suggests the Stone Age farmers who were building Stonehenge were abruptly elbowed out by Beaker folk invaders. “The people who built Stonehenge probably did not contribute any ancestry to later people or, if they did, it was very little,” Skoglund states. However, Durham University archaeologist Ben Roberts sounded a note of caution. “There is no doubt that ancient DNA studies are redefining our prehistory, but this work is based on a fairly small sample.

“The conclusion that there was almost complete replacement of DNA at this time is pushing the data a bit too far. However, this has certainly triggered a renewed debate about the Beaker. We just need more data.”

This point was backed by Linden. “This apparent replacement is very striking, but it is possible our results are being skewed. In particular, the introduction of cremation at this time could have destroyed bones that would otherwise have provided DNA samples and which could change results. This is certainly not the end of the story.”

EDITED to add link to article in Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-genome-study-finds-bronze-age-beaker-culture-invaded-britain-1.21996

Nature 545, 276–277 (18 May 2017) doi:10.1038/545276a

The article is on SOTT now:

https://www.sott.net/article/352034-The-Battle-of-Troy-New-genetic-study-shows-invaders-may-have-ousted-Stonehenge-Celts

article:

Archaeologists have discovered a major new prehistoric monument just a short distance away from Stonehenge. Some 20 or more massive prehistoric shafts – more than 10 metres wide and five metres deep – form a vast circle more than two kilometres in diameter around the Durrington Walls henge. Coring of the shafts suggest the features are neolithic and excavated more than 4,500 years ago, around the time Durrington Walls was built. It is thought the shafts served as a boundary to a sacred area or precinct associated with the henge.

The discovery comes just after the Summer Solstice, which took place online this year as the famous annual gathering was cancelled due to coronavirus. Experts from the University of St Andrews were joined by counterparts from institutes including Birmingham, Warwick, the University of Wales Trinity Saint David and the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre (at the University of Glasgow).

Dr Richard Bates, of the university’s School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said: ‘Yet again, the use of a multidisciplinary effort with remote sensing and careful sampling is giving us an insight to the past that shows an even more complex society than we could ever imagine. ‘Clearly sophisticated practices demonstrate that the people were so in tune with natural events to an extent that we can barely conceive in the modern world we live in today.’ Tim Kinnaird, of the same school, said: ‘The sedimentary infills contain a rich and fascinating archive of previously unknown environmental information. ‘With optically stimulated luminescence profiling and dating, we can write detailed narratives of the Stonehenge landscape for the last 4,000 years.’

Dr Nick Snashall, National Trust archaeologist for the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site, hailed the ‘astonishing discovery’. He said: ‘As the place where the builders of Stonehenge lived and feasted Durrington Walls is key to unlocking the story of the wider Stonehenge landscape, and this astonishing discovery offers us new insights into the lives and beliefs of our Neolithic ancestors. ‘The Hidden Landscapes team have combined cutting-edge, archaeological fieldwork with good old-fashioned detective work to reveal this extraordinary discovery and write a whole new chapter in the story of the Stonehenge landscape.’

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 16
Archaeologists said Monday that they have discovered a major prehistoric monument under the earth near Stonehenge that could shed new light on the origins of the mystical stone circle in southwestern England
By The Associated Press
22 June 2020, 05:25
2 min read

LONDON -- Archaeologists said Monday that they have discovered a major prehistoric monument under the earth near Stonehenge that could shed new light on the origins of the mystical stone circle in southwestern England.

Experts from a group of British universities led by the University of Bradford say the site consists of at least 20 huge shafts, more than 10 meters (32 feet) in diameter and 5 meters (16 feet) deep, forming a circle more than 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) in diameter.

The new find is at Durrington Walls, the site of a Neolithic village about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from Stonehenge.

1592848683990.png

Researchers say the shafts appear to have been dug around 4,500 years ago, and could mark the boundary of a sacred area or precinct around a circular monument known as the Durrington Walls henge.

Richard Bates, of the University of St. Andrews School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said the findings -- made with remote sensing and sampling — provided "an insight to the past that shows an even more complex society than we could ever imagine.”
[...]
“When these pits were first noted it was thought they might be natural features — solution hollows in the chalk,” he said. But geophysical surveys allowed scientists to “join the dots and see there was a pattern on a massive scale.”

Back
Top Bottom