Spinning/Whirling Dervishes

Figured I better check in on this one with a few quick comments:

I was spinning in the pool because I have certain physical issues that make it easier. (Arthristis, vertigo, and certainly fear of falling). And yes, you can spin pretty fast in about 4 feet of water.

I spin counter-clockwise. That is, if you are looking at me from above, I spin toward the left hand.

On the website, I have some excerpts of Ira Friedlander's book on the Whirling Dervishes which includes a description of how the Dervishes do it.

The Whirling Ceremony of the Dervishes

Before entering the Hall of Celestial Sounds the dervish performs the holy ablutions of the Muslim faith. Then he proceeds to dress in the whirling costume unique to the Mevlevis. His attire is influenced by the mourning clothes that Rumi ordered after the death of Shamsi Tabriz. The sikke, the tall honey-colored felt hat, represents the tombstone of man.

The word 'cemetery' comes from the Hindu word samadh, which denotes a permanent state. Holy men who died were set in a grave in a lotus rishi position, and a lingam was placed on the top of their heads.

The tennure, or long white skirt, represents the shroud, and the khirqa, or black cloak with long, large sleeves, symbolized the tomb. Beneath the cloak the turner wears a dasta gul, literally a bouquet of roses and a white jacket, the right side of which is tied down, the left hangs open. Around his waist is fastened the alif-lam-and, or girdle of cloth.

The dervishes enter the semahane, or whirling room, led by the semazenbashi, the dance master, and slowly, with heads bowed, line up on one side of the hall. The dance master, who is closest to the sheikh's post, wears a white sikke. The sheikh is the last to enter the hall. He stops to bow at the axis line to his post and proceeds to walk slowly to the sheepskin dyed red to honor Shamsi Tabriz and represent the sun.

The musicians are at the opposite end of the hall on a raised platform, facing the sheikh. The hafiz, who knows the entire Koran by memory, begins the ceremony by chanting a prayer to Mevlana and a sura from the Koran. Then the sound of the kudum, kettle drums, breaks the silence.

The dervishes, now seated on their knees, listen to the piercing sound of a single reed flute, or ney which plays the music prelude. The dervishes slap the floor with their hands indicating the day of the Last Judgment and the bridge Sirat that is crossed to get from this world to Paradise. It is said that this bridge is as thin as a hair and as sharp as a razor.

The sheikh takes one step to the front of his post and bows his head. He begins to slowly walk around the semahane followed by all of the dervishes. They circle the hall three times, stopping to bow to each other at the sheikh's post. This part of the sema is known as the Sultan Veled Walk, in honor of Rumi's son, and symbolizes man's identity and his place within a circle. The circle is a position used in many of the Sufi orders. The zikr circle is the living mandala.

After circling the hall for the third time, the last dervish bows to the post and turns to complete the walk as the sheikh takes his post. They now all bow and in one motion remove their cloaks, kiss them, and let them drop to the floor. As they drop their cloaks, they symbolically leave their tombs, their worldly attachments, and prepare to turn for God.

The musicians on the platform are playing as the dervishes, with their right hand on their left shoulder and their left hand on their right shoulder, slowly walk to the sheikh's post. The semazenbashi is the first to arrive at the post where the sheikh is standing. He bows to the sheikh, his right foot over the left and his arms crossed at the shoulders. He kisses the right hand of the sheikh, recedes backwards from him and, standing five feet from the post, is in a position to begin directing the sema. Each dervish approaches the sheikh in this manner. He bows, kisses the right hand of the sheikh, the sheikh kisses his sikke, the dervish bows and turns toward the semazenbashi for silent instruction. If the foot of the semazenbashi, who wears white shoes, is extended outside of his black cloak, it is a signal for the whirler that the outside area is blocked to him, and he must begin to turn on the inside of the dance master. If his shoe is hidden, the whirler continues to walk past him and begins to unfold and turn on his outside.

All the dervishes unfold and whirl as the musicians play and the chorus chants. The turners extend their arms, the right palm faces up and the left down. The energy from above enters through the right palm, passes through the body which is a visible channel, and, as this grace is universal, it passes through the left palm into the earth. With extended arms, the dervish embraces god.

As they turn, the dance master slowly walks among them gesturing with his eyes or position to correct their speed or posture. The sheikh stands at his post. They turn counterclockwise, repeating their inaudible zikr, "Allah, Allah." After about ten minutes, the music stops, and the dervishes complete a turn that will face them toward the sheikh's post and halt. The movement is so quick that their billowing skirts wrap around their legs as they bow to the post. The selam is repeated four times, each about the same length of time.

In the second, third and fourth selams, a dervish who is tired may drop out and remain standing at the side as the others turn.

It is only in the fourth selam that the sheikh joins the dervishes. He represents the sun; the dervishes, the planet turning around him in the solar system of Mevlana. The sheikh whirls slowly along the equator line to the center of the semahane as a single flute sounds a distant wailing sound that leads him back to his post. When the sheikh arrives at his post, he bows, sits on the post, and kisses the floor. All the turners sit, and their cloaks are put on them by those who did not turn in the fourth selam. They have returned to their tombs, but in an altered state.

The sheikh recites the Fatiha, the first sura of the Koran, and all the dervishes kiss the floor and rise. The sheikh then sounds a prayer to Mevlana and Shamsi Tabriz and begins the sound "Hu." The dervishes join in sounding the "hu" which is all the names of God in one. This concludes the ceremony.

On the night of December 17, in honor of Rumi's day of Union with the Beloved, the ceremony concludes with the "greeting." All the dervishes, musicians, and turners line up and pass in front of the sheikh kissing his hand. They kiss the hand of each dervish who has passed before them leaving the last in line to kiss the right hand of about seventy of his brothers. It is a beautiful and touching moment that emphasizes the joy of the dervish when his thoughts turn to union with the Hidden.
But nothing is hard and fast about this. Ark spins clockwise.

Laura said:
Ark spins clockwise.
I spin clockwise too. As for arms, I saw the movie Meetings With Remarkable Men, and at the end of the movie some men spin similar to Dervishes. Their arms are straight out at the shoulder and bent at the elbow straight up at a 90 degree angle. Palms both face inward towards the head. This is the way I've done it, based on what I saw in the movie. However in the movie they spin moving both feet where neither is pivot -- in other words one foot could be used as a pivot by spinning around on the ball of one foot, but they don't do that, I do though.

When I'm done I put my arms straight down and remain standing still until I feel like I'm stable.

I think I'll try the different arm position mentioned in the article.

John Chang said:
According to Bringers Of The Dawn, they recommend spinning at least 33 times a day, and the more you can do, the better. I believe that the C's also confirmed this.

Be sure to spin left to right - they were very specific on that. I'm not sure what happens if you spin the other way, probably nothing good, I suspect.

They also mentioned that 99 times per day was ideal.
I used to spin like crazy as a kid. But, if I stopped suddenly, I'd get dizzy and felt "whoa, yeah, that'll do it."

Maybe, I ought get back into spinning (if I don't spinned into a wall nowsdays).

Laura said:
I spin counter-clockwise. That is, if you are looking at me from above, I spin toward the left hand.

But nothing is hard and fast about this. Ark spins clockwise.
My thoughts on direction of spin are linked to the idea of what side of the brain needs to be activated. It may be something as simple as looking at whether one is right or left hemisphere dominant or not.
Ark strikes me as someone who is left brain dominant (this is strictly based off of reading his posts) the left brain as many or all may be aware is logical, sequential, rational, analytical, objective and looks at parts while I perceive Laura (once again based off of reading posts and books) as more right brained in nature which is random, intuitive, holistic, synthesizing, subjective, looks at wholes. This is not to say that both sets of qualities are not present within each but one set resides over the other.

It is possible that Ark spinning clockwise activates his right side providing balance for him while Laura the opposite prevails.

In addition the right and left hand positioning is fascinating due to how I have been instructed to offer attunement. One way is to position the hands opposite one another facing one another with the area of concern placed in between them and then feel the energy that is eminating from the object. It can be sensed which is out of balance, either too much of an earth pattern (represented by the left) or too much of a celestial pattern (represented by the right) then allowing the flow of energy to either come from the right or left depending on what type of imbalance is perceived.

The other part of this is I was taught to balance myself in many ways one of which is sensitizing myself to the flow of energy using my right hand a contact with that of the 'heavens' and my left as that of the 'earth'. I did this for a period of time and found that I was able after a period of time to feel that of the 'heavens' descending into the earth and that of the 'earth' being allowed to ascend into the 'heavens'. This is at least my perception of what I was feeling.

October 28, 1994

Q: (L) "Bringers of the Dawn" advised spinning, is this advisable for all of us?
A: Major yes.

Q: (L) How many times a day?
A: 3

Q: (L) How many times?
A: 33

Bringers of the Dawn

Another activity we recommend for those of you who wish to move into a vast acceleration of energy is spinning. Move from left to right, spinning around and focusing your vision on your thumb, counting and spinning. We recommend that you spin thirty-three times at least once a day. You may build up to the thirty-three spins very slowly. If you are able to work up to thirty-three spins, three times a day, so that you are spinning ninety-nine times, well, we will see how long you stay on the planet-or at least in this dimension. When you complete spinning, however many times you spin, bring your palms together at chest level. Press them together, keeping your eyes open, and balance yourself with your feet a shoulder's width apart so that you feel anchored and still feel the spinning at the same time. This tremendously accelerates the spinning of the chakra systems inside your body, which tremendously accelerates the rate at which you can interpret and receive data.

So, the methods to use are intention, breathing, using the pillar of light, and spinning.

This is another old idea. Had the thought to dust it off and share with the group.

The issue I had with physically spinning was that I got dizzy which led directly to nausea. Nausea isn't very conducive to meditation.

Having done some energy exercises prior to learning about spinning I came up with a solution. Instead of physically spinning I went ahead and worked on mentally spinning my energy body within my physical body. It took some work to get to the point where I could do my whole body at once. I started with the area that was easiest to feel the energy flow. For me it was my head. Then I worked down to include the other energy centers. At this point, I can feel the entire energy body spinning.

From my understanding the clockwise spinning pushes the energy outward from the center. This is opposed to counter-clockwise spinning which is used to receive energy or information. I think that the pushing outward clears the conduit allowing for increased energy output.

This is part of my active meditation. There are other components that I have added to the meditation but they aren't pertinent to this thread. What I personally need to do is add the breathing into the equation which is something I've never been good at. I always forget to breath. And since there is a new breathing exercise going around I think it's a good time to add it in.

Omniversal:

I have merged your post with an already existing thread on "spinning". You'll find the thread titled The Spinning Survey of related interest.

OmniVersal said:
Having done some energy exercises prior to learning about spinning I came up with a solution. Instead of physically spinning I went ahead and worked on mentally spinning my energy body within my physical body. It took some work to get to the point where I could do my whole body at once. I started with the area that was easiest to feel the energy flow. For me it was my head. Then I worked down to include the other energy centers. At this point, I can feel the entire energy body spinning.

Very interesting technique. Thanks for sharing it. A viable alternative for those with physical issues that prevent physical spinning. Note Laura's practice of spinning in water, mentioned earlier in this thread.

OmniVersal said:
From my understanding the clockwise spinning pushes the energy outward from the center. This is opposed to counter-clockwise spinning which is used to receive energy or information. I think that the pushing outward clears the conduit allowing for increased energy output.

Is this your own theory, or is there related info/documentation about this somewhere...?

PepperFritz said:
Omniversal:

I have merged your post with an already existing thread on "spinning". You'll find the thread titled The Spinning Survey of related interest.

I was wondering where this would fit in. I thought about "The Work" forum but it didn't seem right. Posting will take some getting used to.

That post you link falls in line with my own thinking. Excellent connection.

PepperFritz said:
OmniVersal said:

Is this your own theory, or is there related info/documentation about this somewhere...?

This is my own theory. I attempted to denote that by using "From my understanding" in the first sentence and "I think" in the third sentence.

It does, however, come from comparing the context of the Bringers of the Dawn excerpt and the Laura's pool excerpt.

In the Laura' pool excerpt it states...

Q: (L) Okay, once we have set this up, what is it going to do for us?
A: Empower 4th through 6th density STO channel transceiver.

So it appears that counter-clockwise is meant to act as a transceiver. The Bringers of the Dawn is vague. But the context is ascension and we must assume by the overall tone of the document that it's STO ascension. STO is about expansion outwards vs contracting inwards. So I come to the conclusion that clockwise is for expansion outwards.

Even without the context in Bringers of the Dawn we do have the other side of the equation which is counter-clockwise = transceiver. So the opposite of that would be clockwise = transmitter.

OmniVersal said:
Even without the context in Bringers of the Dawn we do have the other side of the equation which is counter-clockwise = transceiver. So the opposite of that would be clockwise = transmitter.

True. But I've never felt wise enough to transmit anything to the universe... except from within my heart where I'm not assuming that I know enough technically to decide how things work mechanically.

Also, in Reiki drawing on Universal energy is counterclockwise, clockwise is letting your energy go out to the Universe. Again, I've never felt so big that I had much to give the Universe... and I've always wondered if some systems are suggested to people as a way for 4 D STS to harvest their energy.

OmniVersal said:
I was wondering where this would fit in. I thought about "The Work" forum but it didn't seem right. Posting will take some getting used to.

Another good thing to remember is that if you are going to be starting a new thread on a particular topic, you might want to search the forum first before doing so, as their has been a lot covered here already and it is best to post your thoughts in an already existing thread than create a new one on the same subject.

Laura said:
OmniVersal said:

True. But I've never felt wise enough to transmit anything to the universe... except from within my heart where I'm not assuming that I know enough technically to decide how things work mechanically.

Also, in Reiki drawing on Universal energy is counterclockwise, clockwise is letting your energy go out to the Universe. Again, I've never felt so big that I had much to give the Universe... and I've always wondered if some systems are suggested to people as a way for 4 D STS to harvest their energy.

For me, it's not about feeling big or thinking I have anything to offer the universe. It's about observing the universe, deciding what to align myself with and then putting that alignment into action.

Part of my active meditation is in fact the attempt to release high frequency energy with no specific target. I thought the same thing, that I may be inadvertently feeding STS. But the universe doesn't discriminate. And if I take the universe to be my teacher then to show I'm learning would be to not discriminate as well, OSIT.

I don't know if I'm actually releasing energy. If I am, I do not know if the energy is the level of frequency that I intend. But I do know what my intentions are. And I do know what my goal is.

Conceptualization has only taken me so far. At a certain point, I decided I needed to turn that conceptualization into actualization. That actualization goes beyond the 3d realm and involves the integration of all components of myself (that I know of). It does me no good to constrict myself from doing something in fear of feeding the other side or in fear of being thought that I'm acting from ego.

This has nothing to do with ego. I dislike the ego feelings and I don't ever want them again. It has everything to do with taking the talents (talents referring to the parable in the bible) allotted to me and going out to multiply them. I do not want the master to come back to find I have buried my talents.

From what I can gather I have an energy body. And I want to be STO. The next logical step in my mind is actually attempting to expand and release that energy like I imagine an STO entity would do.

I would be overjoyed if a side effect of that is that I'm able to give some useful energy to 4d STO so they can better help humanity. But that cannot be my goal because I have no way to know if what I'm doing is working and I have no way to know if they would want or need additional energy. There is some minor feedback in the form of different lights appearing in my field of vision. But to me that's not enough to be anywhere near absolute in conviction. So the attempted release of energy is without specificity.

With that being said I'm going to continue to explore all aspects without prejudice and attempt to put what I learn into action while always ensuring that my intentions and actions never infringe on anyone's free-will (to the best of my ability). And I'm going to use all resources and tools available to me to expand my working knowledge so that I'm better able to assist others when asked.

If the standpoint explained above is not confluent with the current zeitgeist of the forum please let me know. It is not my intention to disrupt the forum and I will immediately cease posting.

Pinkerton said:
Another good thing to remember is that if you are going to be starting a new thread on a particular topic, you might want to search the forum first before doing so, as their has been a lot covered here already and it is best to post your thoughts in an already existing thread than create a new one on the same subject.

Indeed. Consider it done.

Hi OmniVersal, welcome back!

How is what you describe different than the New Age effort of 'sending love and light for the highest good'? I see no difference. It sounds like you're operating on a lot of assumptions, which could prevent the actual development of 'talents'. For example:

OV said:
It's about observing the universe, deciding what to align myself with and then putting that alignment into action.

Decision of alignment is made though action, however, you really don't know what your actions are producing and thus don't really know with what you're aligning.

OV said:
Part of my active meditation is in fact the attempt to release high frequency energy with no specific target. I thought the same thing, that I may be inadvertently feeding STS. But the universe doesn't discriminate. And if I take the universe to be my teacher then to show I'm learning would be to not discriminate as well, OSIT.

I think there are some assumptions here. Who says the universe doesn't discriminate? How you're defining the term is likely different than 'objective discrimination'. If the universe has STS and STO then the difference in itself would seem to be one type of discrimination. Also, I think it would be wise to be careful in trying to 'act as God'. Trying to act out of proportion of the level and function you are at could cause some problems. This seems a magnified version of the narcissistic parent talking to their child as though they were their confidant. Grandiosity is preventing acceptance of who that little child is and that such actions are simply too much for him or her.

OV said:
Conceptualization has only taken me so far. At a certain point, I decided I needed to turn that conceptualization into actualization. That actualization goes beyond the 3d realm and involves the integration of all components of myself (that I know of). It does me no good to constrict myself from doing something in fear of feeding the other side or in fear of being thought that I'm acting from ego.

I think it's helpful to see how we can only get so far with intellectualizing things and that we need to apply the things we've learned. However, I think you're missing the mark in trying to go 'beyond the 3d realm'. The problems on this earth are where our lessons and answers are. Right now we are on the 'other side' and I think certain fears and cautions are relevant because most of our tendencies are self motivated. We should be working to apply what we can know or discover and it seems your shooting in the dark.

OV said:
From what I can gather I have an energy body. And I want to be STO. The next logical step in my mind is actually attempting to expand and release that energy like I imagine an STO entity would do.

It sounds like you're stuck in the type of conceptualization that you thought you were moving away from.

OV said:
I would be overjoyed if a side effect of that is that I'm able to give some useful energy to 4d STO so they can better help humanity. But that cannot be my goal because I have no way to know if what I'm doing is working and I have no way to know if they would want or need additional energy. There is some minor feedback in the form of different lights appearing in my field of vision. But to me that's not enough to be anywhere near absolute in conviction. So the attempted release of energy is without specificity.

You might be better off at focusing your energy on Working on yourself. There is a 'healthy selfishness' that must be learned before we can really be of help to anyone, or the universe for that matter.

OV said:
If the standpoint explained above is not confluent with the current zeitgeist of the forum please let me know. It is not my intention to disrupt the forum and I will immediately cease posting.

What you describe doesn't seem to me to be congruent with the forum. Posting your current efforts is not in itself disruptive; if you're putting it out there to 'teach others' or 'hear yourself talk' well, then that could be disruptive. If your putting it out there for feedback from the group, then I think that is in the spirit of the forum. I think it may be good also to consider (if you haven't thought about it already) that it's been a while since you've networked with this group and there may likely be a 're-grooving' period where things must be rethought - if you're so inclined to be groovy. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom