Romantic Movies

My favorite romantic film is undoubtedly “Ryan's Daughter”, directed by David Lean, a great film director, the same one who made “Passage to India”, a wonderful adaptation of Forster's book. In “Ryan's Daughter” the images are so beautiful and the subtlety of them is breathtaking. The story of this movie is this:

In August 1917, Rosy Ryan, only daughter of the local publican, widower Tom Ryan, is bored with life in Kirrary, an isolated village on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry in the south-west of Ireland. The villagers are Irish nationalists, taunting British soldiers from a nearby army camp. Tom Ryan publicly supports the recently suppressed Easter Rising, but secretly serves the British as an informer.

Rosy falls in love with the village schoolmaster, widower Charles Shaughnessy. She imagines, though he tries to convince her otherwise, that he will somehow add excitement to her life. They marry and settle in the schoolhouse, but he is a quiet man uninterested in physical love.

Charles takes his schoolchildren to the beach, where he notices Doryan's telltale footprints accompanied by a woman's in the sand. He tracks the prints to a cave and imagines Doryan and Rosy conducting an affair. Local halfwit Michael notices the footprints as well and searches the cave. Finding a button from Doryan's uniform, he pins it on his lapel and proudly parades through the village, but suffers abuse from the villagers. When Rosy comes riding past, Michael approaches her tenderly. Between Rosy's dismay and Michael's pantomime, the villagers surmise that she is having an affair with Doryan.

I don't like romantic films very much but this one is special, especially because of the images. This film of course takes on greatness when seen in 70mm theatres. By the way, all David Lean's films are very, very beautiful. David Lean was a great director and nature is very present in his movies.

My mother loved this film. I remember her telling me how it showed without showing the sexual relationship between the two characters by making us see nature. The beauty of the scene where they are going to love each other is marvelous, the silence especially, everything that is there without the need for words, the horses, the water, the trees, the leaves, the flowers...

The film is also a drama about intolerance, war and ignorance. But on the other hand you have love, in all its splendor and compassion, very important on the part of the village idiot and on the part of the husband who understands everything and who loves with this love which is also understanding and forgiveness. A great, great romantic film, hard and soft at the same time, like life itself.

A KIND OF LOVING. Directed by: John Schlesinger

Manchester draftsman Vic Brown (Alan Bates) becomes involved with secretary Ingrid Rothwell (June Ritchie), who works at his firm. After they sleep together, she gets pregnant. V a sense of responsibility -- although he's not really in love with her -- and proposes marriage. The couple is forced to live with Ingrid's mother (Thora Hird), who treats Vic with contempt because of his working-class background. But, when tragedy strikes, Vic must decide what his new wife means to him.

UNDINE. Dir. Christian Petzold. (2022)​

From.- Victor Esquirol
In the sequence that serves as a prologue to Undine, the character played by Jacob Matschenz ditch Paula Beer's. The rupture is articulated through a classic game of shot and reverse shot. Close and short shots that highlight the conflict and loneliness of both, and that affect an intimate sphere that at that moment looks out into the abyss. In the end, the camera remains fixed on her devastated face... and, suddenly, salty water begins to gush from one of her eyes, while the credits scroll on the screen.

From Film affinity.-
Romance. Drama Ondina is a historian and lecturer on the urban development of Berlin. But when her lover leaves her, the ancient myth of her takes hold. She only has to kill the man who has betrayed her and return to the waters.

This is one of the films I would always watch, canadairs, humour, cool imitations and jokes, doing the shopping list in your sleep, plus an Audrey Hepburn as a guardian angel, a beautiful romantic story full of gasoline and smoke, in and beyond the boundaries of physicality, only love, and it can be written as Love can make us and others free.

This romantic comedy, with some science fiction, I saw it about 20 years ago, and it's one of my favorites; Sliding Doors.

Directed and written by Peter Howitt, and starring Gwyneth Paltrow, John Hannah and John Lynch who make up a particular love triangle.

The science fiction theme is seen in the film from the beginning, when Helen, before taking the train that would take her to work, experiences an incident when she bumps into a girl with a doll, which causes the film to divide into two parallel realities. In one of these realities, the film begins with Helen having managed to catch the train, and in the other, with Helen returning to her house where she lived with her boyfriend.

With quotes to Monty Python, Elton John and The Beatles, personally, I found notable some other details of secondary characters, such as Russell, played by Douglas McFerran, who, as Gerry's best friend (Helen's boyfriend), advised to his friend with a lot of sarcasm, which makes the movie even funnier.

You can see it here 👉 Sliding Doors (1998) - Gwyneth Paltrow, John Hanna

Sabrina.

Sabrina is the daughter of the chauffeur of the wealthy Larrabee family and, thanks to her father, she goes to Paris. When she returns to
the United States, she is quite an attractive and sophisticated woman who dazzles David, but her older brother Linus interferes with her.

Back
Top Bottom