Romantic Movies

IronFloyd

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Personally, I wasn't much of watching movies of this genre, but the truth is that I have been delighted, and I could even say that now it's one of my favorites, if not, my favorite of all.

The last one I watched, is this romantic comedy from 1944 and I loved it, by director Alexander Hall, called "The Heavenly Body", starring William Powell and Hedy Lamarr, and it's about a couple, whose wife feels emotionally abandoned by her husband astronomer, who spends absorbed in his work, but she discovers in astrology, a life guide for her confusions and longing to be loved, but that also begins to condition her in her "future", and to give her many problems in her relationship partner.

Here you can watch the movie 👇🍿

This is a soapy little movie but nevertheless I enjoyed it - if anything for the stunning beauty of Croatian coast.
The joke about Macron was spot on but then shortly after they had to ruin it with woke corectness. There were few other woke moments and Mama Mia style finale but still I give it thumbs up for the feel good factor. Cannot watch anything heavy or violent these days.

Whisper of the Heart, my favourite Studio Ghibli film.. It's so simple and real and beautiful.. It's about a girl who wants to be a writer, who finds every book she borrows from the library has also been borrowed by a certain boy.. The boy wants to be a violin maker, and is going away to study in Italy.. The girl decides to spend the time practicing her writing..

Very down-to-earth film. It's sort of about not wishfully thinking, but taking the first steps towards your goals.. I don't know how to describe what I love about it, but it's to do with the characters' perseverance in learning their chosen crafts...

The movie trailer doesn't say much, but here's a lovely scene (the only version I could find, not subtitled - she asks him to play violin, and he agrees, if she will sing along)..

Last edited:

th

It won't win any Oscars (see below the awards that it won) but the feelings that I get when I watch this movie (a few times already) is that despite your heartaches and the dramas in your life, you still can hold on to what is important: value of friendships, family (yours or reconstructed), looking at other/different people with fresh eyes, accepting what you can't change and change what you can, and generally see the world in different hues and views.
Beautiful country side of Tuscany. The cinematography is fabulous. I love the house that she is renovating and her character is so endearing.. The people she encounters teach her to value other things than her previous life chasing a dream with riches and social standing. I don't want to give too much away. It is worth seeing if you are into feel good type of movies. It certainly worked for me.

Awards

Golden Globes, USA
2004 • Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical • Nominee
Art Directors Guild
2004 • Contemporary Film • Nominee

Hollywood Makeup Artist and Hair Stylist Guild Awards
2004 • Best Contemporary Hair Styling - Feature • Nominee

1678723972081.jpeg
Okay, yes I'm prejudiced : only this version does it for me. I cannot tolerate the 2005 version despite the great cast of actors performing.
But this is my own very "romantic" movie that I watch again and again... not so much because of eye candy Mr Darcy's phenomenal character, but because it really pulls at all my bell strings and feelings.... Simply adore the story, the characters, the actors playing those roles, the fashions of the day, the social standing for the times, the photography of the regions, and of course, the chemistry between the protagonists. Who can deny that chemistry???? (yes I'm aware that Jennifer and Colin had a short fling).

Reading the book is also a wonderful experience. Could not put it down!

When my husband and I were dating seriously, we went for a weekend get away. I brought this movie for him to watch with me. It was heavenly. He loved it! His words were: a perfect movie for a perfect weekend get away!

There were many other productions of the same theme, but for me they all pale beside this one! If anyone here has not seen it, please do. Colin Firth "is" the one and only Mr. Darcy. No other will ever accomplish this role as he did! Jennifer Ehle is also splendid but this Love Story will endure time and time again.

As for romantic movies, we have seen pretty much all of Cary Grant and a few Rock Hudson flicks and most of them are pretty good. We particularly liked Holiday(1938) and An Affair to Remember (1957) amongst others and Pillow Talk (1959) was quite entertaining. However, I would particularly recommend the below as it has a few elements of the Romance novels.

BUGAMBILIA. Edited From wiki.

In the city of Guanajuato, in the 9th century, lives the young, beautiful and perfidious Amalia de los Robles (Dolores del Río) who is the object of desire of all the boys in the city despite the jealousy of her widowed father, Don Fernando (Julio Villarreal), who sees in his daughter, the portrait of his dead wife, and feels a strange devotion for her. However, the only man who arouses Amalia's interest is Ricardo Rojas (Pedro Armendáriz), even so, her love is impossible due to the difference in social classes and mainly because of Don Fernando's jealousy. Amalia de los Robles (Dolores del Río) is the most coveted single girl in Guanajuato. For her beauty and her fortune, her father Don Fernando de los Robles (Julio Villarreal). Amalia is a flirt who pays no attention to any of her suitors, she still hopes to meet the man who dominates her in her dreams. Her main suitor is called Luis Felipe (Alberto Galán) and he is a lawyer. Don Fernando, at the behest of the priest (Arturo Soto Rangel), wants Amalia to settle down and thinks that Luis Felipe is the best match possible. One fine day an explosion occurs in the Don Fernando mine and there are many deaths. The townspeople blame Don Fernando for the disaster and insult Amalia that when she hears the explosion she goes to look for her father at the mine. Ricardo Rojas (Pedro Armendáriz), who is the foreman of her mine, saves her from being attacked. After that meeting, Ricardo falls madly in love with Amalia. Love that he confesses to Zarca (Stella Inda), a very beautiful girl from the town who is in love with him and who warns him to be careful of her because she has challenged a man who has insulted Amalia without knowing her to a deadly duel . That party is one of the many evenings of high society in Guanajuato and that night Alberto (Roberto Cañedo), who is a poet, dedicates a poem to her comparing her to a bougainvillea, which is Amalia's favorite flower, as a farewell gift because knowing impossible for his love to be reciprocated, he leaves the city.

BLUE EYELIDS. {PARPADOS AZULES)
Review by Paulina Vazquez.

Being alone is not enough to be together and being together is not enough to stop being alone, loneliness is not the problem, it is individual abandonment.

To be together, before us, you have to know how to be with yourself, know how to be one, two empties do not fill anything, they only become a much deeper abyss. And until she was full she was able to share. Silences, their different kinds How nice to see films close to reality and the context of Mexico City.

Blue Eyelids {Párpados azules) is a 2007 Mexican drama film directed by Ernesto Contreras.

Plot [edit]
Marina Farfán works at a cloth factory, and during a work ceremony the owner of the company draws Marina's name on a contest and she wins a paid trip to Playa Salamandra. When she collects her prize, Marina finds out it's a trip for two, but her introverted and sordid personality had stopped her from connecting with other people for years, and she doesn't have anyone to share the trip with.

Later, while Marina buys bread, she is recognized by Víctor, a former high school classmate that she doesn't remember, but who is a little insistent on talking to her to remember the old days. Marina isn't interested in his advances, but when she fights with her sister Lucía, who was supposed to come with her on the trip, she decides to call Víctor and invite him to go with her instead.

Víctor agrees to go with her, but as the departure day gets closer, spontaneously, they alternate invitations to go out that make them gradually get to know each other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom