Romance Books List Sheet related topics.

seek10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I am opening this thread to address any observations or issues or suggestions related to the Romance Book List sheet and its related google Forms ( READ submit Form and Translated Book Name Form).

This helps NOT to mix Sheet related posts with Romance Novel thread. Please post suggestions for the new titles in the Romance Novel thread.

If you have submitted something through form and it is not showing up in the sheet, please post it here. Also, give few seconds gap before checking whether it is reflected in the sheet.

If you have submitted and it didn't show up, you don't need to submit again.

Thanks for creating this new thread seek10, it's definitely useful.
I've tried to submit "Unforgiven" (Balogh) through the form several times today (before you opened this thread, so before seeing it was useless to submit a book several times) and it doesn't show up as "read" in the reading update and reading chart. Thanks for your help!

I've tried to submit "Unforgiven" (Balogh) through the form several times today (before you opened this thread, so before seeing it was useless to submit a book several times) and it doesn't show up as "read" in the reading update and reading chart. Thanks for your help!
I got it. yesterday I added some foreign language names to the Book titles in the form, that created some issues with parsing. I am working to fix the issue.

All the data is processed correctly and you all should be able to see books you have submitted.

I think I noticed a little bump in the Excel file. The German translation of "The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie" is actually "Das verruchte Spiel des Daniel MacKenzie", isn´t it? So it should be one line below. I got a bit confused with the titles myself, that's why I noticed it today. :halo:

Unbenannt.JPG

I think I noticed a little bump in the Excel file. The German translation of "The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie" is actually "Das verruchte Spiel des Daniel MacKenzie", isn´t it? So it should be one line below. I got a bit confused with the titles myself, that's why I noticed it today. :halo:

View attachment 44265
I checked the log. This was updated( manually by some body) before the Google form was introduced. If you don't mind, please submit the Translated Book Name Form for the book. I will automatically update the sheet. I will remove it from book 7 German name.

I checked the log. This was updated( manually by some body) before the Google form was introduced. If you don't mind, please submit the Translated Book Name Form for the book. I will automatically update the sheet. I will remove it from book 7 German name.
I have done it. Now I was about to enter the book I finished today, but it doesn't show up in my list. It always stays at the same number. Or do I have to re-enter all the ones I've read before? No, do I? Oh dear... Please excuse the question...
And many, many thanks for your work. I love our Book-Club :flowers:

I have done it. Now I was about to enter the book I finished today, but it doesn't show up in my list.
Except Lisa Kleypas books, all are in the READ submit form. I will update the new author one by end of today. Which book are you trying to find in the "READ submit form" and couldn't find it? Does list means it is in this sheet 3. Reading Update ?

It always stays at the same number.
I am sorry I didn't understand when you said "stays the same". Is it in READ Submit form or Reading Book List document/which sheet?. This is your list from 3. Reading Update page . It showing up in descending order of submission.

1617739419375.png
Or do I have to re-enter all the ones I've read before? No, do I? Oh dear... Please excuse the question...
And many, many thanks for your work. I love our Book-Club :flowers:
No. you don't need to resubmit.

Once you submit it, there are 2 places you can see what you have submitted.
Some times, I get excited and time (in my brain) goes faster. It happened few times for me. :lol: if it doesn't show up, What I do is, Close the document and reopen.

All major cloud providers have servers all over the world connected by their own network ( CDN). Depending on the network traffic and other criteria, they refresh the contents on the their server local to you for quick retrieval. Most of the cases, that is not a issue. so, if you don't see it immediately in your view of sheet, that doesn't mean it is not submitted. If you get the screen after submitting, I would say, you submitted and there may be some minor delays in refreshing in the sheet.
1617742863095.png
In future, I will update the code to remove some steps.

I want to ask some feedback on these google forms.

Currently, the excel sheet may be little slower due to the many Google sheet functions I was using ( VLOOKUP, query, formula's on named ranges and so on) and this happens at the view time. The plan is to remove these from runtime and move all this load to app script in advance. I have question on what type of design approach you all like.

Current approach: Current Google form shows all the books in a single page. So you have to scroll down to last page to submit a single book. But that is easy to put for large number of books.

READ submit Form This is the production one. So don't enter books you haven't read.

Alternate approach is one page for each Author and put the navigations between individual author page and Author selection. The following is the alternate approach. Which one you like?

Menu - TESTING ONLY Romance Books Reading Project This is Testing one. so you can enter and it won't be counted.

This feedback will help me instead of guessing.

Thank you very much @seek10 for your efforts! :flowers:
Great job!!!

IMO, both approaches have their advantages:
- current one is great for someone who enters the books for first time and have them all in one
- alternative one is great for adding additional book and you don´t have to scroll trough all of the books

I like alternative one better because you see only books from individual author.
My 2ct....

Back
Top Bottom