Problems with SOTT website and forum

name

Jedi Master
Hi,

I'd like to describe some instances where I think the forum+website are not working correctly:

- When I (re-)load the main SOTT page, the sidebar with the newest forum topics often does not show up, even despite multiple force reloading (SHIFT-Reload). I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3. It will load correctly after I clear the cache+cookies.

- In the Forum itself, when i browse into some topic (sub-forum) and then log in, it throws me back to the main page of the forum. This used to be different some time ago, as it would leave me right in the sub-forum/topic/article i was placed before login.

- Printing: I've tried to print some long articles for offline reading, but printing directly from the forum website will 'eat' the posts of a thread if they dont fit into an A4 page.

- In the forum, I am 'Jedi', but on the main site, I am 'The force is trong with this one'. I'd like to be either/or on both forum and SOTT page :-)

name said:
Hi,

I'd like to describe some instances where I think the forum+website are not working correctly:

- When I (re-)load the main SOTT page, the sidebar with the newest forum topics often does not show up, even despite multiple force reloading (SHIFT-Reload). I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3. It will load correctly after I clear the cache+cookies.
That's a known bug, and for the life of me I have no idea why it does it. I am waiting for a vision or something so I can fix it. :)

name said:
- In the Forum itself, when i browse into some topic (sub-forum) and then log in, it throws me back to the main page of the forum. This used to be different some time ago, as it would leave me right in the sub-forum/topic/article i was placed before login.
Hmm, that one I've never heard of before, so I'll look into it.

name said:
- Printing: I've tried to print some long articles for offline reading, but printing directly from the forum website will 'eat' the posts of a thread if they dont fit into an A4 page.
Since printing is largely a function of the browser a person uses, I just copy the text into some other app like Word or whatever and then print. Not exactly the most convenient way to do it, but it avoids the "fun" of printing web pages directly.

name said:
- In the forum, I am 'Jedi', but on the main site, I am 'The force is trong with this one'. I'd like to be either/or on both forum and SOTT page :-)
Oh, on the main SOTT site, 'The force is strong with this one' is just the message that tells you that you are logged in. It's more exciting than "you are logged in" or nothing at all. :)

Scott said:
name said:
Hmm, that one I've never heard of before, so I'll look into it.
That one happens to me as well. Sort of a small annoyance to navigate back to where I originally was. I've learned to log in initially to avoid this one.

Scott said:
name said:
Hi,

That's a known bug, and for the life of me I have no idea why it does it. I am waiting for a vision or something so I can fix it. :)
I can take a look at the code if you want.

Is an issue on safari as well. The html is just not generated when a reload occurs.

name said:
Hi,
All better!
:)

name said:
This is unrelated but I don't understand why you are concerned with such "titles". As if they mean anything.

Scott said:
name said:
Hi,
All better!
:)
Aaaaaaaaaaah! Thank you! I was in the habit of copying the link before logging in, when I wanted to respond....

So much better now.

You rock! ;)

hoangmphung said:
name said:
This is unrelated but I don't understand why you are concerned with such "titles". As if they mean anything.
Yes, name definitely outed himself/herself here. Little "I" issue, perhaps.

It is out in the open now, so maybe name could examine whence it comes from.

A silly issue brought it to light, but it has serious repercussions.

[edit: came across this again tonight, apropos..]

"It is precisely in unconscious involuntary manifestations that all evil lies."

Azur said:
Yes, name definitely outed himself/herself here. Little "I" issue, perhaps.

It is out in the open now, so maybe name could examine whence it comes from.

A silly issue brought it to light, but it has serious repercussions.

[edit: came across this again tonight, apropos..]

"It is precisely in unconscious involuntary manifestations that all evil lies."
(I think there was another a post in this regard by Scott, which was deleted)

I posted the short report which initiated this thread because i thought it would be a contribution towards what the ppl who are behind this website are doing.

re "Little I issue" - my issue is not with the titles per se, but with the fact that they are different in the forum and the main page. I thought there is a (low priority) issue with both sites not being coordinated, which /might/ be considered by the developers for inclusion in a future release cycle.

re 'whence it comes': (see above answer), but again: i thought of it as a low-priority software issue rather than something so cool i couldn't do without :-) . last but not least, i've done software testing for 4 years and db design for other 4 years - with such a background one eventually starts 'seeing things', even minor ones.

re the forum itself, there is another issue which i did not mention in my original post. if you pay attention, when one changes the 'signature' text, it changes in all of ones posts, past, present and future. this is IMO sign of a lacking step in normalisation (or a denormalisation step) in the database underlying the forum (hint: the 'sig' is probably a text field instead of being its own entity), what may well be intentional b/c its 'cheaper/easier' to do that way.

now, Azur: how, exactly, did I out myself here ? as what ?

name said:
now, Azur: how, exactly, did I out myself here ? as what ?
It looked like it your "title" was important to you for some reason. Two of us read it that way.

Maybe it was a mis-read on my part. :)

I think that name is just a bit over-analytical. Some of the stuff you notice is not very important at all. Like your issue with a change in signature, it should not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. You might see it as a "lacking step in normalization in the database underlying the forum" (whatever that means), but really, who cares? It's just a signature. There are more important things to worry about.

name said:
re the forum itself, there is another issue which i did not mention in my original post. if you pay attention, when one changes the 'signature' text, it changes in all of ones posts, past, present and future. this is IMO sign of a lacking step in normalisation (or a denormalisation step) in the database underlying the forum (hint: the 'sig' is probably a text field instead of being its own entity), what may well be intentional b/c its 'cheaper/easier' to do that way.
Your sig is part of your profile, so it's not stored on a per post basis. Instead it's added to a post when a post is viewed - e.g. it's pulled from the database in realtime, so ya, your sig and your avatar will change in all posts if you change them at any time. That's the nature of the forum software itself. Probably done to save database space.

Hi,

I didn´t want to open a new topic, this one will do.

I went to my profile on hr.sott and wanted to change my avatar.
I wanted to upload an image I cropped and had the name "ico (2).jpg"
When I clicked on "Postavljanje" button (en. Setting button), SOTT said that the action was canceled because hacking attempt. :umm:

I went then to have lunch, after lunch, I renamed the file, and after few attempts of changing image size and pixels, I managed to upload the image.

I wonder what triggered this "hacking attempt" warning...? It gave me creeps...

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place, but I'm just stopping by to report that the cassiopaea.org and pilulerouge.com websites were running very slow today.

HELP! I am not being consistently signed in and the forum pages are vacillating between normal and without the option to like/quote/reply or compose a post. This is very frustrating and mystifying.

Back
Top Bottom