Pregnancy

Congrats Piotrek to you and your wife and child-to-be. These are indeed interesting times. Good luck in your health research! :)

:D hi Piotrek, we have the same first name, hehehe. Congratulations to you and your wife and the new coming reincarnation! ;D

Jason (ocean59) said:
Agreed on both points. One of my best friends went the midwife/doula/no hospital route 2 years ago, and had a water birth in a pool in her home. It sounded absolutely amazing, and she was so inspired that she has become a doula herself. The child is also amazing as well. Same thing goes for vaccines - I have met a number of unvaccinated children, and although it is just my subective experience, they all seemed quite advanced for their age.

As we went to the hospital with my wife she decided to give birth in a pool too, for both of our girls, and it was amazing, she said after the birth, that she didn't feel strong pain, and under water her body become lighter, and she could concentrate just on the birth. That was amazing experience as I was sitting close to her on the pool. The baby after comes out stay a little in the warm water become clean, and landing with head up on mama's breast. That's the great moment when the baby look at you first time. I remember this as it was yesterday :P

Be carefull about those vaccinations, they do it to all new born (as they said), and they let you sign before, in this moment you are so ovhelmed with this situation that you just want the best for your baby, and you probably sign. As we did, we could not remember to sign anything about vaccin. After the fact we couldn't do anything. Now our daughter have alergie, I don't know if it is something to do with vaccin, but I don't have proof if it's not.

In the next months I recommend to you Mozart, baby's love it to listen in the awaiting time for birth.
Be strong, gratulacje

First of all congratulations! When my wife and found out we were pregnant she was already taking prenatal vitamins. If I remember her Dr had her just keep taking those. I would say that before you do anything ask your Dr. You can not be to careful about what you take when you are pregnant. Everything you take in can effect the baby, so be careful.

[quote author=Lukas]
Congratulation but it are hard time for children. :cool2:
[/quote]

These are most definitely some difficult times to live in...

[quote author=tj92558]
First of all congratulations! When my wife and found out we were pregnant she was already taking prenatal vitamins. If I remember her Dr had her just keep taking those. I would say that before you do anything ask your Dr. You can not be to careful about what you take when you are pregnant. Everything you take in can effect the baby, so be careful.
[/quote]
I'm in the process of investigating the vitamins that the Dr. prescribed to us. The additives (as explained here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,19313.0.html) can be a bit tricky to navigate. The folic acid pills he gave us have 4 additives (lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate and stearic acid), but the pre-natal vitamins have a whole list (including FD&C blue #1 and, what appears to be, a synthetic form of DHA [which is supposed to provide omega-3 fat]). Needless to say, I got her a substitute folic acid supplement with a single additive (organic pine cellulose) and am currently hunting for a 'clean' version of the pre-natal vitamins. We found wild, smoked mackerel in one of the specialty food stores, so that will be our omega-3 supplement.

The dr. said that his wife completely refused taking any vitamins. He also noted, and this deserves special attention as it reflects the dietary views of this forum: the vitamins are there to SUPPLEMENT that which is missing. If your diet contains all the nutrients your (and the baby's) body needs, there is nothing to supplement. This is where the paleo diet comes in. I've only started reading "Life Without Bread," but the fact that meat proteins and fats have all the essential fats/acids in them is a real "eye-opener."
The wife sleeps more and I "hunt" for the cleanest and nicest meats and fats I can find around our area.
I only wish there were more hours in the day... ;)
Thanks again for the kind words.
P

Figured I'd do an update...
Passing into the 13th week. Everything looks great. :D
The diet definitely helps the body (in both our cases - me and the Mrs) maintain balance.
We substituted the doctor-prescribed pre-natal vitamins with the more-expensive version from Thorne Research (4 pills in total).
The wife ended up taking the vitamins for two days at full dose, before experiencing light diarrhea, at which point we scaled back to 1 or two pills every 2 or 3 days (depending on how she feels).
She still takes pill #4 (natural version of DHA) and folic acid every day. She did not experience any morning sickness and, as I mentioned above, the diet is really helping her maintain strength and balance.
After doing a bit of research on ultrasound (she's already had 3), we're going to pass on those until later in the pregnancy.
The obstetrician did one to verify how far along she is and directed us to have Nuchal Translucency done (high-resolution ultrasound to measure the amount of fluid in the neck of the fetus -- a more precise in determining Down syndrome and other genetic issues than just the blood tests). This, to me, looks unnecessary, as my wife is not in the 'high-risk' category (25 yo, healthy).
I asked the obstetrician about pre-natal vitamins and their purpose. He avoided the question and proceeded to prescribe yet another vitamin regimen (he actually wrote two identical prescriptions during the visit, he seemed to forget about the initial one towards the end of the visit). The whole visit made me and the Mrs cringe, so we won't be going back to him.
We have an appointment with a midwife health group (_www.hackettstownmidwives.com) to gather more info on our options for natural pregnancy and birth in this area.

Learning is fun, but the medical establishment's practices are starting to tick me off...
The more I read about pregnancy, the more I realize how unnatural our civilization is. Being pregnant is no longer a natural occurrence, it's an "illness" that demands treatment...

All the best to everyone!
P

:) Nice to hear that everything is going well. Wish you the best! The truth about doctors is, they look after money first and this is so wrong. Keep going Piotrek, :scooter:

Well, the pregnancy is done! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Our precious princess was born on Tuesday, May 8th. Mommy did an INCREDIBLE job getting her out without ANY pain medication.
She needed a bit of help with the contractions towards the 'end' (a bit of pitocin), so that her pushing efforts (130% EVERY TIME) would not be wasted.
We successfully avoided getting the Vitamin K and Hep B shots.
We opted to get the heal prick (PKU test) done a couple of days after the birth so as not to traumatize the little one too much at the beginning.
The diet helped us all stay healthy and strong throughout the pregnancy.
Our pediatrician recommended some physical therapy due to our daughter's tendency to lean her head to one side (from lying in that position in the womb - as explained by the doctor).
We'll get that sorted out soon-enough.

For parents looking for more information on pregnancy and labor, I wholeheartedly recommend Ina May Gaskin's book "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" (_http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336749129&sr=8-1).
The book has two parts: 1) Personal testimonies from mothers who gave birth using Ina May's midwifery clinic. 2) A thorough description of pregnancy and labor.
I only read the second part and, to me, it was on par with some of the quotes Laura posted from "The Caricature of Love." Specifically, the second part of the book explains how today's society imprints into women the feeling if being inadequate, and how women can regain their natural strength and power - especially during pregnancy and labor. Having witnessed my wife do what she did, there is no doubt in my mind that what Ina May says in her book is absolutely true.
The book was given to us at our midwife-practice childbirth classes and I recommend it to BOTH partners in a relationship - regardless if they're planning on having a baby or not.
The books contents are valid for ANY woman in any relationship and will help the man understand the female part of life a little better.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice!
Best wishes from the three of us!

Proud daddy Piotrek :P

Hello everyone,

So I just found out my wife is pregnant :) 🥳

I was wondering if there are any experienced parents or nutritionist connoisseurs that have any advice on some possible prenatals and possibly dietary recommendations for pregnancy?

I’m looking at all these prenatal vitamins and Jesus (Caesar) is there a laundry list of toxins in them.

Any recommendations? And if there is already a thread… apologies!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there are any experienced parents or nutritionist connoisseurs that have any advice on some possible prenatals and possibly dietary recommendations for pregnancy?

I’m looking at all these prenatal vitamins and Jesus (Caesar) is there a laundry list of toxins in them.

Congradulations!

Hello everyone,

Congrats to you both! A quick search turned up this thread: Pregnancy with some suggestions that might be helpful for you. As suggested there the SOTT health and wellness page is a good resource and the Weston Price Foundation has lots of good resources as long as you keep individual food sensitivities in mind (ie dairy, eggs, etc)

As far as a good prenatal goes I would recommend one that is whole food based, at my clinic we usually recommend New Chapter, Garden of Life Vitamin Code prenatal or Solaray. They all have herbs in them to help with morning sickness, so ideally go to a health food store with your wife and have her look at them and pick one that "feels good" to her. They also all have iron in them, but if you haven't already checked her iron levels you should do that, many women need to supplement with additional iron during pregnancy. The doctors will try to give you ferrous sulfate, which causes constipation, but most decent iron supplements these days are not constipating. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Iron, Vitanica Iron Extra, Thorne Iron Bisglycinate and Solaray Iron are all good. Just don't give her ferrous sulfate.

If she gets morning sickness you will just need to manage it until she gets past that stage of the pregnancy. There are lots of home remedies, things like ginger or peppermint tea, grapefruit peel tea, just try them and see what works for her. Seabands are also a good option for many women, they are wrist bands that push on a pressure point on the wrist. Acupuncture works pretty well usually also, just find someone that specializes in women's health.

Good luck!

Just another thought, if this is your first child IMO y'all should try to find a good midwife or doula and a good alternative practitioner like an ND, chiropractor or acupuncturist in your area who specializes in women's health to guide you through this. There are lots of things that could happen and you will both have lots of questions along the way. Obviously you should do your own research but if possible it can be nice to have a local practitioner you can trust to talk to and bounce things off of.

Back
Top Bottom