Pregnancy

Piotrek

Jedi
A few days ago my wife of almost two years woke me holding in her hand a pregnancy test with a blue plus sign. :P :P :P :dance: :headbanger:
We're both extremely happy and excited to be able to serve as parents as we realize it's a tremendous responsibility.

I did some searching on the forum and was able to find some information about nutritional supplementation during pregnancy (magnesium and iron, especially).
I've read The Vegetarian Myth and have adjusted our diets to mostly meats, saturated fats, some well-cooked veggies and a little carbs (mostly buckwheat, some whole-grain, dark bread and rarely potatoes - she likes sugar in her tea, but she's decreased the amount significantly over the past few months). We never drank that much coffee and now we stopped completely.
My intent is to also to get our schedules to be more 'regular' -- get up and go to sleep at the same time every day.
I'm also planning on reading Primal Body, Primal Mind and Life Without Bread (along with corresponding discussions) to help solidify our knowledge base regarding our diet.

While my wife has already read a couple of books about pregnancy and the child's early years, I personally don't know what to expect during the next 9 months (and beyond). I know that I would like to be prepared to be the most supportive husband and father that I can be.

Having said that, I wanted to ask the Network for pregnancy-specific reading recommendations and/or advice from experience. Both of our families are ready and willing to help us, but we'd like to be as knowledgeable about this wonderful experience as we can. :D :D

Thanks!
Piotrek

Where do you live? Do you read sott daily, particularly checking out the health and wellness category?

A thousand congratulations to you and your wife!!!!! How exciting, and it's wonderful that both of you are on the same page diet-wise.

I found the Weston Price Foundation to be a great pregancy & baby resource:
scroll down to Children's Health (ignore the pro-grain spin, the rest is great)

(http://www.westonaprice.org/sitemap)

[quote author=Laura]
Where do you live? Do you read sott daily, particularly checking out the health and wellness category?
[/quote]
Northwest New Jersey, U. S. of A.
I do read SOTT daily - have the RSS feed bookmarked and read the articles as the feed gets updated (yet another software guy :cool2:) - will focus more on health and wellness category. Thank you for the pointer.

Incidentally, I found out about Dr. Mercola from one of SOTT's articles and have since switched to his fluoride-free toothpaste and got Omega-3 supplements from him.

[quote author=HifromGrace]
A thousand congratulations to you and your wife!!!!! How exciting, and it's wonderful that both of you are on the same page diet-wise.

I found the Weston Price Foundation to be a great pregnancy & baby resource:
scroll down to Children's Health (ignore the pro-grain spin, the rest is great)
[/quote]
Thank you, Grace, I'll definitely give that a look :cool:

Congratulations! May your wife, your baby-on-the-way, and you as well, remain healthy throughout the 9 months of pregnancy.

In addition to perusing the SOTT page and the forum for health and wellness info, you might want research everything that has to do with choosing an OB or midwife, and the birthing facility. New Jersey happens to have the highest rate of cesarean sections in the nation (38% overall and over 50% for first-time mothers). That says something about the kind of culture the two of you are likely to encounter in the medical profession and in the community. But of course there are pockets of more naturally-minded individuals there as well.

I hope that you will find the right people and the right environment to welcome your baby into the world! Good luck, and please keep us posted.

:flowers:

Congratulations !!

I won't give advice on diet as I'm not "qualified", but as Hildagarda said, research natural birth and make sure that your Dr's honor your wishes. When my first was born, the Dr/staff tried to tell us "how to do" and over-ride our wishes. Although I was raised on organic gardening and such, we did a great amount of reading on the topic "nutrition for pregnancy"

Also read up on breast feeding

But judging by the news of a newcomer, I suggest you buy grass seed, because when the baby is born your lawn maybe over run by these :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :P

Congrats, Piotrek! I think that Primal Body, Primal Mind will be the perfect material to further equip yourself for a healthy environment for your baby. If you haven't checked out Detoxify or Die yet, that would be good prep with regards to thinking about your child's environment as well. Some of the information I had heard before, but something about her presentation really motivated me to consider all of the way my body interacts with my environment and ways to easily make changes that make a big difference. fwiw. I've not a child in sight, nor the plans to conceive so be careful when listening to me ;)

Best wishes to you, your wife, and your child-to-be, Piotrek! :) Definitely do your research and continue to network for feedback and comparing notes.

Congratulations indeed, Piotrek! I wish you and your wife all the best for a safe and healthy pregnancy. And a safe and healthy bundle of joy! :clap: :thup: :dance:

Congrats Piotrek!
I was wondering that myself, about supplements. I'm following the diet but I have cut out all supplements just in case some are not good for the baby. This is my second time, and I feel a lot better than the first time when there was gluten and dairy on my diet, in fact I now managed to avoid most of the nasty thing related to pregnancy, except for heartburn, but noticed it worsens when I eat carbs.

WOO HOO :clap: :clap: :clap: HOw wonderful. Being a parent is so precious.
I read a great book by JuJu Sundin called Birth Skills. I related to her concepts about birth pregnancy. FOr me that was key, to find information that worked for me.
Also, as has been mentioned, Weston Price and Dr Mercola (once you get over his self advertisements).
I found Pilates very good for the changes in my body and for post recovery.
We hired a doula who was also our midwife and it made our experience a very personal one, She was our spokesperson when we were uncertain or stressed and she understood our birthing wishes so we weren't pushed by the medics beyond that.
I think the most sound advice we were given is that your choices are right no matter what they are. There is so much information, maybe too much for most of us to sift through and it is easy to be swayed and lost through the process. You are on a path of great learning and discovery and if your wife listens to her body, she will know what she needs throughout the pregnancy and beyond.
So happy for you both. ;)

Thank You All for your well-wishes and suggestions. :D :D :D
We have an appointment with a gynecologist tomorrow.
I've started looking for obstetricians/midwives/doulas who will help us take this pregnancy the most natural way.

Again, thanks, and I'll post updates as we move along ;D
P

People, great advice about the doula/midwife/hospital thing!

Another thing I wanted to mention, is to do your research about vaccinations, they're bad news.

Also find out what to do in NJ, here in WI, you can opt out based on personal beliefs, it's a simple check box on the back of the form.

Join our Fellowship of the Cosmic Mind, if you haven't already, to get a "religious" waiver for vaccinations.

Congrats, great news!!

HifromGrace said:
People, great advice about the doula/midwife/hospital thing!

Another thing I wanted to mention, is to do your research about vaccinations, they're bad news.

Agreed on both points. One of my best friends went the midwife/doula/no hospital route 2 years ago, and had a water birth in a pool in her home. It sounded absolutely amazing, and she was so inspired that she has become a doula herself. The child is also amazing as well. Same thing goes for vaccines - I have met a number of unvaccinated children, and although it is just my subective experience, they all seemed quite advanced for their age.

Join our Fellowship of the Cosmic Mind, if you haven't already, to get a "religious" waiver for vaccinations.

The little infinity symbol beneath the avatar shows that Piotrek is already a member of FOTCM. :)

Back
Top Bottom