Potential Food and Energy Shortage Across the World

Does anyone else keep tabs on Poplar Preparedness?

He is a prepper, so I always keep that in mind. He does keep a nice even tone through most of the vids I’ve listened to. He does daily reports from his friends and followers, mostly US, Canada, and EU regarding what grocery stores look like.

The post about China prompted me to share this one, which he put up just yesterday. Seems China is harvesting much of their wheat early to use as livestock feed.

Does anyone else keep tabs on Poplar Preparedness?

He is a prepper, so I always keep that in mind. He does keep a nice even tone through most of the vids I’ve listened to. He does daily reports from his friends and followers, mostly US, Canada, and EU regarding what grocery stores look like.

The post about China prompted me to share this one, which he put up just yesterday. Seems China is harvesting much of their wheat early to use as livestock feed.

And they are clever to do so. Besides, in China the staple food is rice.

There is a folk tale about some peasants that were keeping a big piece of solid salt on a tall shelf. Every day they were looking at the salt and talking among themselves about what if the salt rock will fall and hit them. None of them thought tha they might just move it somwhere else. And guess what, the cat jumped on the shelf, one day, rubbed on the salt, and the salt dropped.

I am not saying that keeping informed to check the pulse so to speak, is wrong. However the seriousness of the situation is scale and proximity factors related. If you hear that 10 volcanoes erupted and that tsunamis and floods affected 30 % of the world’s coastal plains up to an elevation of 300m , then, you’d better had moved move the darn salt.

I am not saying that keeping informed to check the pulse so to speak, is wrong. However the seriousness of the situation is scale and proximity factors related. If you hear that 10 volcanoes erupted and that tsunamis and floods affected 30 % of the world’s coastal plains up to an elevation of 300m , then, you’d better had moved move the darn salt.
I heard on the radio today that some scientists were able to sprout seeds in moon dust.
Unfortunately, after some time the plants were stunted because... they were growing in moon dust.

Now, I don’t mean to be down on the research. However, my first thought was, “but we are creating ‘no plant zones’ on Earth!”

In the US (and elsewhere, of course), I am afraid they have assessed the situation with the salt and decided the doorframe must be a safer support 😂

An interesting and possible scenario with some tidings relevant with the recent session.

Opinion:

1652626475453.png

May 21, 2019, 3:34 PM • 3 min read

Last Updated: May 14, 2022 at 6:10 a.m. ET

Reminders of impending crisis are so public and daily now. Yet, I still don't hear average people talking about it.

As I once heard a KGB general state, with immense gravity, in a grainy old film, "People are governed economically." Full stop.
Attack "fossil" fuel and you attack everyone. It's no wonder that, on behalf of globalists, among the Biden administration's first actions was ending US fuel independence.

The government plans to offer digital coupons in the next couple of months for limited amounts of bread at subsidised prices. The rest will be offered at market rates. Other food items will be added later.

Iran’s official inflation rate is around 40%, and some estimate it is over 50%. Almost half Iran’s 82 million population are now below the poverty line

Looks like the situation in Sri Lanka has become extremely dire. The country is going through one of the worst economic crisis it has faced and most of its population is now struggling to obtain food and fuel.

“Genetically Edited” Food – The next stage of the Great Reset?

Kit Knightly states, "But the part I found most interesting [in the "Queen's Speech"] is the stated plan to “encourage agricultural and scientific innovation at home” via the proposed Genetic Technology (Precision Breeding) Bill..........the legislation would “take certain precision breeding techniques out of the scope of restrictive GMO rules”......... and therefore not subject to the same rules and oversight. ...........Why would they be doing this now?.........they have just created a food crisis......[and] their manufactured 'problem' is now in need of their contrived 'solution'."

“Genetically Edited” Food – The next stage of the Great Reset? Off Guardian May 11
"Genetically-Edited" Food – The Next Stage Of The Great Reset? | ZeroHedge Zerohedge May 17

Nothing really new, but a summary of the situation and the positioning of GM/GE to save the world from climate change and famine.

INVESTIGATION INTO THE INFANT FORMULA 'SHORTAGE' AND SUGGESTIONS

Short video, but very good. Looks realistically at breastfeeding vs formula...and the unrealistic chatter online. Plus suggestions for both decisions on how to feed your baby.

Plus, the implications of suspicious activity surrounding the shortage:

Well, well well, lookie here ...You know, I read that appropriately 4 out of 5 babies, under the age of 6 months are fed on formula, in the US.

-5186279336586619849_121.jpg

I found this to be a good read. There are many factors contributing to the food shortages, giving rise to a picture of food at the centre of a very complex network of all kinds of material flows.

The author makes a good point about one that I haven't seen discussed as much as the supply-chain factor - the Biblical importance of stockpiling in granaries.

Another interesting note, human sludge is being proposed as a replacement for chemical fertilizers. It turns out that human waste may be much worse for the environment due to micro- and nano-plastics, as well as pharmaceutical chemicals, and all the other things that humans are convinced to put into their bodies.

The farcical energy situation gets worse: According to the following article from Sky News, the UK has more LNG gas than it can handle and market prices are the lowest in 18 months, but suppliers aren't passing saving on to consumers because they predict that come winter the situation will be the exact opposite; and to deal with this gas glut they've turned on gas powered electricity generators:

UK has more gas than it can handle and prices are lower than ever - but not for the consumer

Ed Conway
Sky News
Tue, 17 May 2022 20:22 UTC

gas pipeline

The UK is drowning in gas - but consumers will get little or no relief from these very low prices
The UK energy system is drowning in natural gas. There is so much of the stuff in this country that for the time being at least no-one is quite sure what to do with it.

If at this stage you're wondering whether I've lost my mind or that you're reading an article from a year or two ago: no.

It is the middle of May 2022; the war in Ukraine is still raging; Europe is attempting desperately to pivot away from Russian natural gas and UK household energy bills (including, yes, gas bills) are at record levels.

And I promise I haven't lost my marbles. The UK really is experiencing an almost unprecedented glut of natural gas.

This probably still sounds implausible, so consider as proof, the spot price of gas on wholesale markets right now. We're talking here about what are known as "day ahead" prices: the price you'd pay for natural gas if you wanted it delivered tomorrow.

gas prices
The main North European price (TTF, as it's known) has come down a little since the Russian invasion of Ukraine but it is nonetheless considerably higher than before the invasion, and more than double the level it was last summer.

Now look at the main UK wholesale gas price, the NBP or "national balancing point" to give it its technical name. It has fallen from around 285p a therm in late March to just 38p a therm a few days ago. At the time of writing it had bounced up to 100p a therm, but was still far lower than before the Russian invasion. In fact, these wholesale prices are at the lowest level for nearly 18 months.

What's going on here? Why are UK prices so low, while they remain so high on the other side of the Channel?

To understand the answer, you need to remember energy markets are in large part, a product of physical infrastructure. Not only do you need to get natural gas out of the ground, you also need to build the pipelines to get it into people's homes. When it comes to gas, geography matters; steel tubes matter.

Much of Europe is, as we all know, highly reliant on Russian gas, most of which is piped in via a string of pipelines across eastern Europe, the Baltic and Black Sea into central Europe. Germany, in particular, is deeply dependent on this flow of gas.

And, as you also know, everyone in Europe is doing everything they can to reduce their reliance on Russian gas.

Good news...and not so good

Now, Europe could potentially get more gas from North Africa and some too from Azerbaijan, which is constructing new pipelines into the continent. It can't get much more gas from the North Sea, either from Norway or the UK - in large part because they (primarily Norway) are already pumping as much as they physically can right now.

That leaves the other option: getting the gas in via tanker from further afield. The good news here is there is potentially quite a lot of gas available, especially from the US, whose shale fields are producing methane at a rapid rate.

But now we run into other problem with the physical infrastructure: even if there were a limitless supply of gas in America and a limitless number of LNG (liquefied natural gas) tankers to transport it to Europe, there aren't enough terminals through which we can receive it. Actually it's slightly more subtle than that: there aren't enough LNG terminals in the right places.

There is actually lots of LNG capacity in the Iberian peninsula, but the problem is piping that gas from Spain to Germany is very difficult indeed. There are three big terminals in the UK. There are some terminals in France. But there isn't a single LNG terminal in Germany.

gas prices 2022
In recent months, there has been an enormous amount of LNG redirected to Europe (attracted by the high gas price), but the ships are running out of places to put their gas. This brings us back to the UK, where plenty of LNG has been flowing off tankers, through regasification facilities and into the gas grid in recent weeks. The two gas pipelines which connect the UK with the rest of Europe are running at full capacity right now (indeed, they have been running at 20 per cent above capacity recently).

The problem, however, is these pipes simply aren't big enough to push all the gas coming into the UK via those LNG tankers through into continental Europe. And since we don't have much domestic storage in this country and since it's quite warm right now and most of our boilers are turned off, there isn't really anywhere else for the gas to go.
UK gas pipelines
There have been some odd consequences. One is that with all this cheap day-ahead gas knocking around, Britain's power generators have been making merry, turning on their gas-fired power stations and producing as much electricity as they possibly can.

The upshot is the UK, which typically has to rely on imports of electricity from the continent, has temporarily become a big exporter of electricity, sending power at a rate of more than four gigawatts across to mainland Europe in recent days.

The other upshot is that not only are natural gas prices very low, so too are wholesale electricity prices, which are now lower in this country than in most other parts of Europe.

Interesting footnote: if Britain had more domestic storage (instead of having run down our biggest underground gas reservoir a few years ago) we could be putting more of this cheap gas aside, ahead of what could be a grisly winter. Instead we are burning it in power stations. On the flip side, if we had lots of storage then that's extra demand for the gas, which could mean this price anomaly wouldn't be happening.

Anyway, at this stage you're perhaps wondering: how soon until this is reflected in my bill? Is the cost of living crisis now over?

I'm afraid the answer in both cases is depressing. For while it's certainly true wholesale prices of gas and electricity for next-day delivery are indeed at rock bottom levels, the domestic energy suppliers with whom we all have our accounts say they tend instead to sign up to contracts for energy delivered months or even years ahead.

UK gas prices
And when you look at the year-ahead price for gas, it is at nearly the same level as in north Europe, and is still considerably higher than before the invasion. In other words, even though the UK is drowning in gas, markets suggest we won't be in a few months' time, and that as a consequence, consumers get little or no relief from these very low prices.

One reason these markets might be right, is that many countries in northern Europe are moving very quickly to install LNG capacity.

While it takes some years to build a full-blown gas terminal such as the three we have in the UK, according to Mike Fulwood of the Oxford Institute of Energy Studies, there is a temporary solution: special tankers known as floating storage rig units (FSRUs).

The Dutch are already bringing a few of them into operation and Germany is planning to start one up in the winter. So come the cold months, the market could indeed be proven right.

These very low prices could just be a temporary anomaly.

Even so, there is something surreal about the situation. If only for a short period, in an era of natural gas shortage, of record natural gas prices, Britain all of a sudden has a natural gas glut.

A couple of thread related stories from today's Columbus Dispatch:

1652909838953.png

And, pray-tell, why wasn't production initiated when the Michigan plant was shut down instead of waiting until a nationwide crisis developed? It never occurred to Abbott that a production stoppage could leave parents with no formula to feed their babies? It's hard to believe they could be that clueless or stupid. And nice that what was available got hijacked to the US/Mexican border for illegal immigrants.

1652910736711.png

"Newpoint Gas will procure hydrogen from natural gas"

Most hydrogen produced today in the United States is made via steam-methane reforming, a mature production process in which high-temperature steam (700°C–1,000°C) is used to produce hydrogen from a methane source, such as natural gas.
How is hydrogen obtained naturally?
Most hydrogen is produced by heating natural gas with steam to form syngas (a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide). The syngas is separated to give hydrogen. Hydrogen can also be produced by the electrolysis of water.
What is the cheapest way to produce hydrogen?
The carbon monoxide is reacted with water to produce additional hydrogen. This method is the cheapest, most efficient, and most common. Natural gas reforming using steam accounts for the majority of hydrogen produced in the United States annually.
What does carbon monoxide react with?
Carbon monoxide reacts with water vapour at high temperatures, forming carbon dioxide and hydrogen; this process has been used as a source of hydrogen for combination with nitrogen in the synthesis of ammonia.

I'm sorry - how is that an improvement on utilizing clean energy? Natural gas is already a clean energy - there are some school and city buses that were converted to run on natural gas because it is clean. And so, this plant will take that clean energy natural gas and process it to get hydrogen. Any idiot can comprehend that the end product will cost a lot more than the natural gas that was used in the first place - "some details have not been worked out" - I'll bet! And it sounds like the real objective isn't a hydrogen fueled power plant so much as to produce additional hydrogen for manufacture of products like cement and ammonia. And somehow the end result is going to be green as compared to current processes? And will the cost be comparable as well? Doubt it! And what's the plan for the generated carbon monoxide - convert it to carbon dioxide to be stored for a verrry long time?
Carbon capture and storage or carbon capture and sequestration is the process of capturing carbon dioxide before it enters the atmosphere, transporting it, and storing it for centuries or millennia.
Yes, well I guess there's plenty of radioactive waste storage that will be problematic for hundreds of thousands of years, so a millennia for CO2 will be nothing by comparison. Funny, radioactive contamination was the big problem of the original Piketon plant on the proposed property site:
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - For years, people in Pike County say they've been all alone fighting against radioactive contamination from a former uranium processing plant.

The rest of the hydrogen plant article:

The Piketon plant closed after an investigation logged years of lax safety practices. The facility produced the raw materials needed for nuclear bombs, and the surrounding communities still experience higher than usual rates of cancer. The Southern Ohio Diversification Initiative took over the property from the federal government, and the Ohio EPA had to certify that the property was safe before it approved the transfer, said Kevin Shoemaker, the organization’s in-house counsel.

Community organizations that represent Piketon-area residents voiced support for the proposal early this week.

“We as a community have supported the reindustrialization efforts for a very long time,” said Jennifer Chandler, councilwoman for the village of Piketon and the president of the Scioto Valley-Piketon Area Council of Governments.

But she said officials seek to better understand the project.

“Of course, we are always concerned about what does a project mean in terms of emissions or wastewater discharges, and we want to understand what risks are associated with the processes that will be employed,” Chandler said.

Hydrogen power is a controversial weapon in the fight against climate change. While hydrogen itself gives off no emissions, it is most commonly procured from planet-warming natural gas through carbon capture, and some critics say it contributes to global warming and perpetuates fossil fuel use.

Hydrogen power produces 20% more emissions than fossil fuels because extracting hydrogen requires so much energy, according to a study from researchers at Stanford and Cornell universities last year.

Supporters of hydrogen power dispute the study’s findings. The Midwest Hydrogen Alliance, a coalition of businesses, universities and public agencies, said the research underestimated the effectiveness of carbon capture and overestimated the probability of methane leaks. The Stanford and Cornell researchers have defended their work.

“It’s going to be as green as possible,” Rhodes said of the proposed hydrogen plant. He noted that the technology needed to capture hydrogen is decades old.

“They’re all proven processes that can be implemented and maintained in a very reliable way,” Rhodes said.

So this whole business of "fossil" fuels vs green energy is definitely going down a very bad road with traditional sources and uses marked for extinction - which brings up this little fly in the ointment:

Abiotic Oil and Gas: A Theory That Refuses To Vanish​

In the West it is almost universally held that all oil and gas is derived from fossils. This is not the case elsewhere, particularly among Russian and Ukrainian scientists who have, over several generations, tenaciously propounded the notion that oil and gas are abiotic, can be found deep below the surface of the earth in most parts of the world and in very large amounts.

Western geologists and scientists find the theory either annoying or amusing and refuse to consider it seriously although there are exceptions. The theory continues to be held in much higher regard by Russian scientists and geologists (including some working in the West) for historical and perhaps ideological reasons.

Many Russian geologists and petroleum researchers credit the rise of Russia over the past 50 years as the largest producer of oil and second largest producer of natural gas in the world to the successful application of the abiogenic theory of oil and gas formation. The Russians claim to have successfully drilled over 300 ultra deep (around 40,000 feet) oil and gas wells through granite and basalt based on this theory. These claims have been questioned by Western geologists and petroleum engineers.

Yep, more false narratives/lies to destroy Western civilization in order to manifest the Great Reset - for the plague and famine survivors that is.

Planned deconstruction of the West, or not, people on our income get squeezed first. My son's job of chef disappeared so he's hammering nails and working with an all around handyman....Good skills for the future, imo.

I stored my car too. With gas prices good thing. Here's our old and new carts, to haul supplies. If any want to know how metal cart is hooked up to bike, ask...I'll show with photographic instructions:20220508_130344.jpg

20211014_193307.jpg20220505_104015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom