Ocular migraine issue

Sorry to hear about your ocular problem, Beau. You have received lots of great advice already, so I just wanted to echo the importance of maintaining a good electrolyte balance for optimal nerve signaling. Coffee may deplete our bodies of electrolytes/minerals, so it's important to regularly replenish our systems. Personally, I start every day with half a glass of warm sea salted water first thing in the morning before breakfast, works very good for me.

I'm doing the same thing now. I also ordered some electrolytes that have salt, magnesium, and potassium just to try it out.

Berries also seem like a very good idea. Some time ago I stopped drinking tea and now I just freeze berries from my garden in summer and then add boiling water and drink such berry tea all winter long. My idea is that birds have the sharpest vision on Earth, and their diet usually consists of protein and berries, so... :-D

I'd say you are onto something! Both the Bilberry and Eyebright supplements I'm taking have the blueberry extract, which is probably they are suggested to aid in eye health.

Just a short update. Got my blood work back and met with the doctor again. He said my cholesterol is high (272) and wants me to take some medication for it, simvastatin. Told me to avoid red meat and bacon/sausage. As if! Unless Gaby thinks otherwise, I'm not going to bother with getting the prescription or going back for my next appointment in a month. I went in there with a visual migraine, and leave being told to avoid all the foods that are good for you while being prescribed something that, if I get too serious side effects, I should stop and come see him immediately. Western medicine can be frustrating.

I also was told that nicergoline was "not really" approved by the FDA and that the prescription would be prohibitively expensive for me, so it appears I can't get that here. Must be why I couldn't find anything online to purchase it within the US.

I went to see the optometrist on account of diabetes related vision loss, and had symptoms as you describe as well: floaters, flashes - no pain though, but really distracting.

This is a part of the medical paperwork the provided me:

Causes
For most people, eye floaters develop when the vitreous begins to shrink as a normal part of aging. More serious causes of floaters include:
A torn retina
Injury
Bleeding inside the eye
A blood clot in the major vein to the retina
Retinal detachment
Vitreous detachment
Inflamation, infection inside the eye

Signs, symptoms of floaters
Specks, dots, circles, squiggly lines, thread

Symptoms of flashes
Bursts of light
Flashing lights
Lightning streaks
Stars

Treatment
No treatment is needed for floaters that occur normally with age. Sometimes floaters become severe enough to affect your vision.

So, what the doctor explained to me was a piece of tissue inside my eye flaked off and began floating around in the eye fluid, and that it occurs in older people, or in the event of injury. And unless it is very severe, it is just a symptom of aging.

I thought it was something on my eye - like lint - not in my eye, and so I'd rub it thinking it would clear it. That could cause infection and inflamation and aches, and only aggravate the matter.

So, it will become less noticeable as you get used to it, and don't rub your eyes if you are.

Just a short update. Got my blood work back and met with the doctor again. He said my cholesterol is high (272) and wants me to take some medication for it, simvastatin. Told me to avoid red meat and bacon/sausage. As if! Unless Gaby thinks otherwise, I'm not going to bother with getting the prescription or going back for my next appointment in a month. I went in there with a visual migraine, and leave being told to avoid all the foods that are good for you while being prescribed something that, if I get too serious side effects, I should stop and come see him immediately. Western medicine can be frustrating.
Hi Beau, just read about your doctor visit and him wanting you to take Simvastatin. I was prescribed it by my doctor (before I read about the side effects). My cholesterol Was 248 at the time and tryglicerides were normal. My experience was that it caused severe leg cramps and lethargy within 7-10 days of starting. Used to wake up at night with severe calf cramps, very painful. Definitely Gaby should weigh in but I had to stop taking it.10 years later my cholesterol number is still the same and tryglicerides are lower. Some heart doctors believe that the real numbers to look at are Trygliceride versus HDL cholesterol. They like to see this number around 2:1, if tryglicerides are 100 then HDL should be around 50 or greater. You may want to look at those numbers on you blood panel. Here is a good article about ratios, high cholesterol and small/large particle LDL. You might find it interesting and I am sure Gaby can weigh in. In any event, you continue to be in my prayers.

Well that’s to be expected, sadly. Doctors are trained to go by the established guidelines. I don’t believe in the cholesterol/cardiovascular disease theory. So long as you’re eating well, exercising well and managing stress levels, you should be fine, Gaby might have a better insight into this.
Here is some information on the role of cholesterol in the body:

Mercola has a whole bunch of info on the dangers of statins, and how cholesterol works in the body.

Hey @Beau - sorry to hear you are experiencing this. A lot of great and really helpful advice has already been shared. I hope your journey to and through answers, remedies and full recovery is a speedy and effective one.

Thank you for sharing and opening up an opportunity for all of us to learn. You're in my prayers and thoughts. I think palming your eyes (and head - one hand on the fore, another on the back of the head) Reiki might be worth a go, too. It'd be interesting to know if and how you feel the Reiki affects it.

I've had migraines (ocular OSIT) behind my right eye and floaters in both eyes, but much more strongly in my right eye, since I was a child which lasted for years. I have astigmatism from birth so I am certain it's a contributing factor.

The only thing that has ever improved the migraines so far is the carnivore diet. It's upset my iron levels OSIT, resulting in symptoms such as koilonychia (spoon nails) on some nails only and the right corner of my lip getting sore and tearing. It's always the right side of my lip, the fingers of my right hand (minus thumb) and the thumb of my left that are affected. The nails started around a year ago and the lip first happened 16 months ago. I was born with sickle cell trait and iron deficiency anemia such that half or more of my red blood cells are misshapen.

It might be more of a low stomach acid issue as I get plenty of iron, no doubt, and vitamin Bs, on a predominantly carnivorous diet. In any case, I have some ACV and Betaine HCL so I can test it out.

So, I am working on it by addressing stomach acidity while supplementing with D3, K2 and Bs - especially increading B1, starting with TTFD next week.

It's curious how the nails and lip symptoms took place on the right side of my body whereas my migraines were always behind my right eye.

You mentioned the flashing lights are in a central location. Does the headache affect both sides of your head equally or one side more? Is the visual stronger on any side of your field ov vision or is it of equal intensity?

I don't have much more to add at the moment other than blessings and hoping you get to the bottom of it. Thank you for the updates.

Beau's cholesterol level is not that bad, is the ratios that need improvement. I think that will come naturally as he deals with the current inflammation, but also with the help of berberine. While he's cholesterol has an inflammation profile, he can take some red yeast rice as well. He got prescribed simvastatin 20mg which really doesn't reverse the ratio issue. Berberine can help with that though.

Just a short update. Got my blood work back and met with the doctor again. He said my cholesterol is high (272) and wants me to take some medication for it, simvastatin. Told me to avoid red meat and bacon/sausage. As if! Unless Gaby thinks otherwise, I'm not going to bother with getting the prescription or going back for my next appointment in a month
It became a norm during annual checkup to hear this conversation. once It used to be 320 Or 340 For me and doctor wants me put on drugs. I said no and doctor confidently told me that I am going to die. I instinctively laughed at it and said I eat lot of fat for 7 yrs. Last year it is around 280, but same story And we can expect it from medical machine-drugs good, vaccine savior and so on

Sorry to hear about your ocular problem, Beau. You have received lots of great advice already, so I just wanted to echo the importance of maintaining a good electrolyte balance for optimal nerve signaling. Coffee may deplete our bodies of electrolytes/minerals, so it's important to regularly replenish our systems. Personally, I start every day with half a glass of warm sea salted water first thing in the morning before breakfast, works very good for me.

I used to have rather severe migraines (6 to 8 on the pain intensity scale) almost every other day but it is a funny story as to how I 'cured' them. For about two years my roommate and I would have a small potluck dance party at our place about once a month. I'm not much of a drinker but I usually consumed enough drinks to get pretty tipsy at these parties because well, they were fun! The mornings after those parties I would always have the WORST migraines that would last for about 2-3 days.

About a year ago we were planning to have another one of these potluck parties but I was having a terrible migraine that day. So I said to myself that I would just buy some fancy water for the party and skip the alcohol for the evening as to not make it worse. Party time came around and I got caught up in the spirit of the thing and ended up drinking quite a bit. However, I also drank 6 Kirkland signature mineral waters that evening as well. The next morning I was expecting a terrible migraine hangover but to my surprise I woke up feeling better than I ever had in a long time. So for the following days I continued drinking 6 Kirkland mineral waters a day to see if that would stop the migraines and to my surprise they completely stopped!

I ended up drinking like 2-6 mineral waters a day for a year and almost never once had a migraine again and if they did pop back up they were fairly minor in comparison to what I had experienced before.

My migraines were more frontal lobe although they did effect my vision sometimes but I recommend getting a couple cases of Kirkland signature mineral water and see what happens. In the very least it is a cheap and delicious experiment!

I also was told that nicergoline was "not really" approved by the FDA and that the prescription would be prohibitively expensive for me, so it appears I can't get that here. Must be why I couldn't find anything online to purchase it within the US.
Hi Beau, you can order nicergoline online here, come in different strengths. Site says discreet shipping.

I had to deal with similar headaches as well. It boiled down to what I called nerve stress/irritability. Too much noise, bright lights, spicy foods, too much sun, too much wind, etc. In essence your dealing with a hypersensitive nervous system. Keep lights low and soft, minimized noise, wear sunglasses as much as possible, avoid fans and vents blowing directly on your head.

Once headache starts it takes 3 consecutive nights of extra sleep (10-12 hrs) to clear the neurological irritation. The first night of extra sleep you should feel at least 50%, the second night you'll feel 90-95%, but it takes the 3rd night to prevent a relapse.

Long walks will calm and strengthen the nervous system and it improves the cholesterol ratios.

Your symptoms are a sign of not enough exercise and not enough sleep, the 2 causes of all chronic health problems. The body needs push to increase strength/flow and rest to clear the pain from the push.

I have never found a supplement that clears the migraine once it has started. So avoidance is the key. I have learned that getting 3 nights a week of extra sleep (10-12 hrs) was the best way to avoid the headaches. 2 nights on the weekend and 1 night in the middle of the week.

I started the sleep and exercise regiment in my forties and have not had those weekly headaches since.

A simple test for determine if your dealing with chronic fatigue is if you feel you could go back to sleep for a few more hours every morning than your fatigued.

As far as exercise, you should be able to walk 4 miles within an 60-80 min. If your unable to do that then you need a regular exercise program to get back in shape.

I feel for you and it's the worst pain that I had to learn how to stay healthy. All the best.
🛌Sleep well/exercise well🏃‍♂️

I had to deal with similar headaches as well.

Not sure if you were discussing my issue or not, but I actually don't get migraine headaches. What I've experienced twice is in my vision, and there's no pain associated with it. Lasted about 30 minutes each time. Seems to be associated more with eye fatigue and blood circulation, along with inflammation due to diet.

After multiple MRIs and CAT scans, I was declared healthy (no tumors/strokes), but the MRIs indicated inflammation In my top vertebrae.
The patient to who I provided vitamins and minerals injections in the sub-occipital and neck regions had all neck vertebras (from C1 to C7) arthosic. Maybe it's worthy you try that (6 or 8 sessions)

Back
Top Bottom