Jordan Peterson: Gender Pronouns and Free Speech War

leaving out the horrors of life being sustained by death, the occurrence of natural disasters.
Life is really sustained by life. The more life in the oceans, the more life that’s available. You’ll get significantly more biomass as the biomass of certain species grow. Take menhaden off the East Coast. We, as in humans, destroyed the ecosystem by taking away the prey fish, Nature left to balance just creates more life.

The same can be said with natural agriculture. If people manage the land properly you get more life. There’s more grass growth, more water infiltration and the entire ecosystem thrives drawing in more and more species that eat more insects because more can be sustained. Sure, things “die”, but in a normal world they’re more like recycled back into life.

There’s no horror to it for me anymore. The only horrors are man made, or man perhaps acts as the vector of hyper dimensional influence.

Nature doesn’t torture either, if you watch a cheetah or leopard kill a gazelle, it’s quick. Or look how a mantis shrimp was designed to destroy it’s prey, there’s very little suffering.

Anyway, probably a comment for another type of thread but I figured I’d mention it here….

I agree with your assessment of Peterson. He seems lost.

Life is really sustained by life. The more life in the oceans, the more life that’s available. You’ll get significantly more biomass as the biomass of certain species grow. Take menhaden off the East Coast. We, as in humans, destroyed the ecosystem by taking away the prey fish, Nature left to balance just creates more life.

The same can be said with natural agriculture. If people manage the land properly you get more life. There’s more grass growth, more water infiltration and the entire ecosystem thrives drawing in more and more species that eat more insects because more can be sustained. Sure, things “die”, but in a normal world they’re more like recycled back into life.

There’s no horror to it for me anymore. The only horrors are man made, or man perhaps acts as the vector of hyper dimensional influence.

Nature doesn’t torture either, if you watch a cheetah or leopard kill a gazelle, it’s quick. Or look how a mantis shrimp was designed to destroy it’s prey, there’s very little suffering.

Anyway, probably a comment for another type of thread but I figured I’d mention it here….

I agree with your assessment of Peterson. He seems lost.

Yeah, I don't know if there is horror in me personally about all the death that's required for life... but I'll see how this holds up in the face of a certain space virus that is forecast to reduce the human population by 79%. And while there may not be horror at the moment, there is grief and depression at times.

I'm not sure about some of what you've said. There's mention of a benevolent Great Mother Nature that is distinct from human destroyers (Dark Father), with a potential for human stewardship or right relationship with the earth (Benevolent Father). But there's a key element missing - the dark side to the Great Mother who is responsible for suffering, disease and death. As mentioned by TC above, this is one thing what JP warns about pretty consistently, partial myths that don't reflect reality.

Not all kills are clean and quick in nature, not by a long shot. A cat playing with a mouse is one example that comes to mind. Is that torture, as in causing suffering for enjoyment? Hard to say, 'cuz we can't really know the mind of a cat, unless there's been some research done to that effect.

It's not just domesticated animals that do this, either. I think raccoons can be terrible avatars of the Dark Mother when they tear apart every single chicken in the coop and leave without eating a single one of them. A pack of wolves will sometimes start eating the entrails of a moose before the poor guy is dead. On Saltspring Island in BC, Canada, it is legal to hunt ravens because they have taught themselves to kill ewes in the lambing season by swarming and slowly pecking her apart, starting from the vulva. Even dolphins - yes, everyone's favourite water angels - have been known to beat porpoises to death! And not for food. What's the reason for this kinda surplus killing, or killing for reasons other than food? One answer, from the archetypal perspective, would be that it's the impulse of the dark side of the Great Mother making itself manifest in the world.

And perhaps the most telling example is that squirrels will often run directly at your car tire in attempt to murder you in a horrific car crash! Never trust a squirrel - they're nuts.

Here's what Peterson says about chimpanzees and empathy:

One of JP's main points on this topic is that without the benevolent Father (a culture based on decent values, or your stewardship example), people will easily revert to a becoming something like the chaotic children of the Dark Mother + the Dark Father, destroying themselves and others through a strategy of short-term pleasure or lust for power.

In the broad scheme of things, I think the C's would say that even this crazy behaviour - which we're seeing all around us today - is also a natural part of the grand cycle, or the movement towards 'balance' or something like that.

I do remember from my ecology/systems theory studies back in the day - 'balance' in ecological thought has generally been construed as a dynamic equilibrium, and is never stable. The basic example is a forest. It sprouts, grows through its seral stages, enters its climax state where all kinds of organic matter accumulates, and then a lightning strike hits, a wildfire tears through, and the cycle starts again from the ashes. This cycle of exploitation, conservation, collapse, and reorganization was popularized by the ecologist Buzz Holling who called it panarchy, which described adaptive cycles in nested hierarchy. In other words, all the way up, and alll the way down. Fascinating stuff for those interested in systems theory and ecology:

shapeimage_2.png

shapeimage_15.png

I'm thinking of the diagram in Earth Changes: The Human-Cosmic Connection... although it is strange to say, is this an accurate depiction of 'the balance of nature'?

Unbenannt_4.jpg

16 year old Josh Alexander, has been suspended from St Joseph Catholic High School in Ontario Canada for protesting against transgender peoples use of bathrooms and for saying God created only two genders.
The leadership in the school told him his continued attendance would be “detrimental to the physical & mental well being of transgender students".
He tried to come back to class & got arrested for tresspassing.

I only listen to a fraction of JBP's podcasts, but recently I checked out the ones he did with Dr. Paulhus on the Dark Tetrad, Dr. Twenge on iGen and narcissism, and Helen Joyce on trans ideology. I think this is the format where he really shines - talking psychology with informed guests.

Paulhus is the guy who pioneered the study of the Dark Triad/Tetrad. Twenge has written multiple books on the current narcissism epidemic, and her research on social media in Gen Z overlaps with Haidt's. I'd recommend checking these ones out (I use a podcast app, but I'm guessing they're on his YT channel too.)

I only listen to a fraction of JBP's podcasts, but recently I checked out the ones he did with Dr. Paulhus on the Dark Tetrad, Dr. Twenge on iGen and narcissism, and Helen Joyce on trans ideology. I think this is the format where he really shines - talking psychology with informed guests.

Paulhus is the guy who pioneered the study of the Dark Triad/Tetrad. Twenge has written multiple books on the current narcissism epidemic, and her research on social media in Gen Z overlaps with Haidt's. I'd recommend checking these ones out (I use a podcast app, but I'm guessing they're on his YT channel too.)
Would you mind telling which podcast episodes these are? I found JBP:s podcast channel on Podbean but there are over 300 episodes… I did find the one with Paulhus but not the two other ones you mentioned.

Looks like there are forces afoot trying to now make mathematics "woke" to further isolate future humanity from not only the practical common sense world of everyday existance but also isolate humanity from the objective essential values that the common sense world patterns itself after for a normal life.

This, I would think, would isolate the minds of future humanity into a totally subjective world order of lost mindless nullities that has no chance of surviving on its own both practically and spiritually leaving it open for total control.

I think that only destruction can result if influences from the higher worlds can't freely flow thru the natural world order of the lower worlds, completing the circuit as it were, leaving nothing but distubances in the higher worlds and thus reflecting itself in the lower.

Last edited:

JP's counterweight to the WEF just dropped - it's called ARC, The Alliance for Responsible Citizenship.

There's mention of a few members on the organizing committee:

• public intellectuals Prof Arthur Brooks, Prof Niall Ferguson, Bjorn Lomborg and Dr Jordan B Peterson
  • the former Australian Prime Ministers Tony Abbott and John Howard, and former deputy Prime Minister John Anderson
  • US Congressional members Senator Mike Lee, Rep Dan Crenshaw and the Vice Chair of the House Republican Caucus, Rep Mike Johnson
  • Canadian Shadow Cabinet Minister, Leslyn Lewis
  • Business leaders represented include Sir Paul Marshall, Baroness Morrissey, Vivek Ramaswamy, Christopher Chandler and Alan McCormick
  • UK Parliamentarians Miriam Cates MP and Baroness Stroud
In late 2023, ARC will be holding its inaugural international conference of more than a thousand high level leaders from politics, culture, business and academia across three days in London. This will be coupled with one major public event in this period to invite public participation and engagement.

They will focus on six fundamental questions, and there is a survey to fill out where the general public can add their input.

Vision and Story:
Can we find a unifying story that will guide us as we make our way forward?

Responsible Citizenship:
How do we facilitate the development of a responsible and educated citizenry?

Family and Social Fabric:
What is the proper role for the family, the community, and the nation in creating the conditions for prosperity?

Free Enterprise and Good Governance:
How do we govern our corporate, social and political organizations so that we promote free exchange and abundance while protecting ourselves against the ever-present danger of cronyism and corruption?

Energy and Resources:
How do we provide the energy and other resources upon which all economies depend in a manner that is inexpensive, reliable, safe and efficient, including in the developing world?

Environmental Stewardship:
How should we take the responsibility of environmental stewardship seriously?

It'll be interesting to see where this all goes!

JP's counterweight to the WEF just dropped - it's called ARC, The Alliance for Responsible Citizenship.

There's mention of a few members on the organizing committee:

They will focus on six fundamental questions, and there is a survey to fill out where the general public can add their input.

It'll be interesting to see where this all goes!

Arthur Brooks of Management Practice​

Arthur C. Brooks is the William Henry Bloomberg Professor of the Practice of Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School, and Professor of Management Practice at the Harvard Business School, where he teaches courses on leadership, happiness, and nonprofit management. He is also a columnist at The Atlantic, where he writes the weekly “How to Build a Life” column. Brooks is the author of 12 books, including the 2022 #1 New York Times bestseller From Strength to Strength: Finding Success, Happiness, and Deep Purpose in the Second Half of Life.

Brooks began his career as a classical French hornist, leaving college at 19, touring and recording with the Annapolis Brass Quintet and later, the City Orchestra of Barcelona. In his late twenties, while still performing, he returned to school, earning a BA through distance learning at Thomas Edison State University, and then an MA in economics from Florida Atlantic University. At 31, he left music and earned an MPhil and PhD in public policy analysis from the Rand Graduate School, during which time he worked as an analyst for the Rand Corporation’s Project Air Force, performing military operations research analysis.

Brooks then spent the next 10 years as a university professor, becoming a full professor at Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs in his seventh year out of graduate school and occupying the Louis A. Bantle Chair in Business and Government. During this decade, Brooks taught economics and nonprofit management, and published 60 peer-reviewed articles and several books, including the textbook “Social Entrepreneurship” (2008).

In 2009, Brooks became the 11th president of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) in Washington, DC, one of the world’s most influential think tanks. Under his leadership, the Institute more than doubled its annual revenues, deepened its outreach to leaders across the ideological spectrum, and expanded its research portfolio to include work on poverty, happiness, and human potential. He left in 2019 to join the HBS faculty.

Niall Campbell Ferguson FRSE (/ˈniːl/; born 18 April 1964)[1] is a Scottish-American historian based in the United States who is the Milbank Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and a senior fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University.[2][3] Previously, he was a professor at Harvard University, the London School of Economics, New York University, a visiting professor at the New College of the Humanities, and a senior research fellow at Jesus College, Oxford.

Ferguson writes and lectures on international history, economic history, financial history and the history of the British Empire and American imperialism.[4] He holds positive views concerning the British Empire.[5] He once ironically called himself "a fully paid-up member of the neo-imperialist gang" following the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[6] In 2004, he was one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in the world.[7] Ferguson has written and presented numerous television documentary series, including The Ascent of Money, which won an International Emmy award for Best Documentary in 2009.[8]

Ferguson has been a contributing editor for Bloomberg Television[9] and a columnist for Newsweek. He began writing a twice-a-month column for Bloomberg Opinion in June 2020.[10]

Dr. Bjorn Lomborg researches the smartest ways to do good. With his think tank, the Copenhagen Consensus, he has worked with hundreds of the world’s top economists and seven Nobel Laureates to find and promote the most effective solutions to the world’s greatest challenges, from disease and hunger to climate and education.

For his work, Lomborg was named one of TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world. He is a visiting fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution and is a frequent commentator in print and broadcast media, for outlets including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, CNN, FOX, and the BBC. His monthly column is published in many languages by dozens of influential newspapers across all continents.

He is a best-selling author, whose books include "False Alarm: How Climate Change Panic Costs Us Trillions, Hurts the Poor, and Fails to Fix the Planet", "The Skeptical Environmentalist", "Cool It", "How to Spend $75 Billion to Make the World a Better Place", "The Nobel Laureates' Guide to the Smartest Targets for the World 2016-2030" and "Prioritizing Development: A Cost Benefit Analysis of the UN's SDGs".

1678396333362.jpeg

I don't think this ARC will have any real power, because from the looks of it, it's just a bunch of people talking about stuff. In today's atmosphere if they're labelled "right wing" or something, that would be an unfortunate branding. You cannot compete with those who hold real concrete power with words alone. Organizations like the WEF and the like have been consolidating power for about a century or more in the making. They have the money, the secret handshake networks, the lands, the finance, the corporations, the military, the academics, the useful idiots, the media, politicians, the secret paramilitary agencies, etc. in their pockets. ARC can inspire a fraction of the population intellectually perhaps (or maybe giving them false hope by presenting themselves as a rival to the WEF, the UN, the WHO, UNESCO, etc. operating at the same level of influence) but concrete changes take a long time. I hope I'm wrong, but if the real resistance as I see it is not "global" but local here and there in self-organizing communities. History has inertia and it's not easy to turn a ship heading towards an iceberg at the last minute. But who knows how things can turn out.

I don't think this ARC will have any real power, because from the looks of it, it's just a bunch of people talking about stuff. In today's atmosphere if they're labelled "right wing" or something, that would be an unfortunate branding. You cannot compete with those who hold real concrete power with words alone. Organizations like the WEF and the like have been consolidating power for about a century or more in the making. They have the money, the secret handshake networks, the lands, the finance, the corporations, the military, the academics, the useful idiots, the media, politicians, the secret paramilitary agencies, etc. in their pockets. ARC can inspire a fraction of the population intellectually perhaps (or maybe giving them false hope by presenting themselves as a rival to the WEF, the UN, the WHO, UNESCO, etc. operating at the same level of influence) but concrete changes take a long time. I hope I'm wrong, but if the real resistance as I see it is not "global" but local here and there in self-organizing communities. History has inertia and it's not easy to turn a ship heading towards an iceberg at the last minute. But who knows how things can turn out.

ARC's room will be really clean, though - doesn't that count for something?!

Back
Top Bottom