Is it harmful to be a blood donor?

I never gave blood before but there was oppurtunities at my school.
The first time I did not want to, but the second time I was going to. I
was thinking if the blood I donate was going to the right person or
they was going to use it for a STS biogenetic experiment. Plus I was
nervous and I did not like the needles. So I did not go with
it but next time I will face my fears. I will look more into it it never
occured to me to do some research.

Galaxia2002 said:
Well, There are some things that bother me about receive a blood trasnfusion, but I understand that it was for a emergency.

The first thing is the majority of persons have toxic bodies then toxic blood, and maybe this could ruin months of your detox work if you receive a transfusion

Just a note that I would imagine that if you are in the sort of condition that would require a transfusion, falling back on your detox might be the last of your worries.

It's an interesting topic. I've not given blood in decades, except as backup for my own surgery, since I have a rare blood type. I am an organ donor, since the idea that I could allow someone who wants to, to live a bit longer if I am killed seems like a good one.

Might not be a bad idea, however to remind myself, as I'm passing through the veil, to not leave energetic signatures behind in those organs if at all possible... ;)

I really never had a problem with the idea of donating blood in theory (though now I am giving it more thought) but I had already decided I would never try it again personally. About a year ago I tried to donate blood at a LifeBlood function at work. The girl blew my vain and I had an enormous bruise going up the inside of my left arm. I had shooting pains up my arm the whole time and they acted as if that was a normal thing. Even though the bruise is healed, I still get sharp pains up that part of my arm from time to time. The girl didn't even get the right part of my arm to get a good vain, and I still have a mark where she stuck me.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

It can be, depending on the blood, though I realize this is not likely where you are coming from in asking the question.

In my case, I have Gilbert Syndrome (pronounced zheel-BAYR) a mild liver disorder which is supposedly hereditary and considered "harmless" yet affects the body's ability to process bilirubin, which is produced by the breakdown of red blood cells. Apparently I've inherited an abnormal gene that controls the enzyme that helps break down bilirubin, according to most definitions of the syndrome.

The condition is mostly thought of as benign yet for whatever reason the only time I tried to give blood (8-10 years ago) they would not accept mine based on having GS. So, I also do not donate blood or plasma.

From Wikipedia: "Because of its effects on drug and bilirubin breakdown and because of its genetic inheritance, Gilbert's syndrome can be classed as a minor inborn error of metabolism."

FWIW.

I had a blood transfusion in the early 80s due to losing a lot after the birth of my son. I was told by the girl sharing my room you’re going to feel great afterwards. So I thought this should be a good experience. However, after the transfusion I came out in itchy bumps and didn’t feel too good. It was during the early scares of HIV so I was a bit freaked out. I came away with the feeling that blood transfusions should only be used if there was a life threatening situation.

I had hepatitis A many years ago when I was ten. I was told never to donate blood. When I queried this later I was told either yes or no. Recently, a receptionist, at the local pathology laboratory which collects blood for testing, was quite definite in saying I shouldn’t donate; I figured she should know what she was talking about. ;)

A friend was very keen to give blood after her son was gravely ill in hospital with a twisted bowel (I think that’s the right term). She gave blood weekly, but soon stopped as according to her, she found her veins were being scarred and it was getting difficult to find a good one.

Brenda86 said:
I really never had a problem with the idea of donating blood in theory (though now I am giving it more thought) but I had already decided I would never try it again personally. About a year ago I tried to donate blood at a LifeBlood function at work. The girl blew my vain and I had an enormous bruise going up the inside of my left arm. I had shooting pains up my arm the whole time and they acted as if that was a normal thing. Even though the bruise is healed, I still get sharp pains up that part of my arm from time to time. The girl didn't even get the right part of my arm to get a good vain, and I still have a mark where she stuck me.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess it can depend on who puts the needle in your vein. My mother has had good and bad experiences with blood tests to check her INR, as she takes warfarin for a heart condition.

I used to be a blood donor for many years, until I was rejected cause poor
iron levels. In Spain, neither you are paid for donating nor for getting blood.

In view of your remarks I will have to think twice and possible refrain from donating
in the future.

I am researching into this , because I want to become a blood/plasma donor, appearantly it has some benefits, such as that your blood gets tested every time and you will be updated on any anomalies in your blood, something like a free hospital checkup without having to pay for it and at the same time you might be helping someone by donating blood.

and this is also a way for me to figure out what my blood type is for free instead of paying for it.

FWIW, I've donated blood only once as well, just to find out my blood type. No damaged veins, although I had a bit of cramping in my arm afterwards. I also had some stomach trouble; I guess it was because of an electrolyte imbalance, since I don't recall eating anything heavy. It also took over an hour to get a pint, although they said it was because I didn't have water beforehand.

I don't think I'll do it again, although my doctor recommends it if my iron levels keep going up (they're almost too high now). On a side note, I'm a blandy-bland O+! Thanks for the info. :)

Bo said:
I am researching into this , because I want to become a blood/plasma donor, appearantly it has some benefits, such as that your blood gets tested every time and you will be updated on any anomalies in your blood, something like a free hospital checkup without having to pay for it and at the same time you might be helping someone by donating blood.

and this is also a way for me to figure out what my blood type is for free instead of paying for it.

I am a regular plasma donor. I have given many time so far. I do not have any side effects. I am doing it because it can save someone life. Hopefully, here in Canada it is safe to do that and they do take care of the donor.

Altough they do test our blood at each donation, they do not test everything but only what they need for their purposes.

Gandalf said:
Bo said:

I am a regular plasma donor. I have given many time so far. I do not have any side effects. I am doing it because it can save someone life. Hopefully, here in Canada it is safe to do that and they do take care of the donor.

Altough they do test our blood at each donation, they do not test everything but only what they need for their purposes.

Do you have to sit or lie down for 45 minutes? I read that plasma donation takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour and regarding donating blood I read that lots of people experienced dizzyness after their first time of donating 500ml of blood, but I think that I am going to donate plasma as well, since you get back most of your blood.

Vulcan59 said:
I was wondering about the blood that is collected via donations. If someone needs blood, are they charged for it? :huh: Perhaps someone working in that environment would know because I hate to think that donated blood gets sold for a profit and I would not be surprised if that is actually happening.

Hier in Belgium you have to pay for it. This told me a colleague

Bo said:
Gandalf said:
Bo said:

Do you have to sit or lie down for 45 minutes? I read that plasma donation takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour and regarding donating blood I read that lots of people experienced dizzyness after their first time of donating 500ml of blood, but I think that I am going to donate plasma as well, since you get back most of your blood.

Yes i have to lay down for around 45 minutes. When you give plasma, they will give you back all you red cells since they just keep the plasma inside the blood.

My problem with donating blood is that it is part of a medical system that is corrupt and flawed. For that reason, my automatic reaction to the idea is to be cynical rather than trusting.

I have donated a few times, always in a matter of a hurry and always to help strangers, that I reckon, gives a sense of reward.

And I do see the necessity of contributing to a bloodbank given you have a strange bloodtype.

Back
Top Bottom