Inside the Laurel Canyon...

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
...how can these really disturbed characters (and sometimes full-on psychos) as those of the LC or in the Punk movement write such beautiful songs? For example, 'Just a Perfect Day' by Lou Reed is a gorgeous song (and God knows Lou Reed is some shady character), and there are many wonderful songs in the LC movement as well.

I've had that same question, too, after my perceptions regarding rock n roll (and the entire entertainment industry cause they are somewhat related) got a shaking from this series.

Perhaps one of their possible multiple personalities wrote the lyrics/music. Or perhaps they didn't write the songs at all - they were written by very clever individuals who knew just what an audience wanted to hear - truth, with a few lies thrown in for confusion/programming purposes. The music could have been composed in the same manner - with an added twist in that it affected listeners into emotional states ripe for further programming.

Maybe a combination of the above.

They don't call a politician, singer, or actor's management crew 'handlers' for nothing.

NormaRegula said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
...how can these really disturbed characters (and sometimes full-on psychos) as those of the LC or in the Punk movement write such beautiful songs? For example, 'Just a Perfect Day' by Lou Reed is a gorgeous song (and God knows Lou Reed is some shady character), and there are many wonderful songs in the LC movement as well.

I've had that same question, too, after my perceptions regarding rock n roll (and the entire entertainment industry cause they are somewhat related) got a shaking from this series.

Perhaps one of their possible multiple personalities wrote the lyrics/music. Or perhaps they didn't write the songs at all - they were written by very clever individuals who knew just what an audience wanted to hear - truth, with a few lies thrown in for confusion/programming purposes. The music could have been composed in the same manner - with an added twist in that it affected listeners into emotional states ripe for further programming.

I've known many songwriters who wrote beautiful songs and were pretty screwed up as people. Some people just seem to have the knack for putting it together in a way that communicates feelings. Many times they don't even have to work at it very hard- it just rolls out. Those that aren't able to go deeper and grow as people end up doing more variations of their best songs over and over. At least that has been my observation.

Another factor to consider is that at the level where artists are putting out and selling records, there is usually quite a bit of feedback and input from others to help shape the eventual result into something that will reach people and sell records.

venusian said:
NormaRegula said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:

I've known many songwriters who wrote beautiful songs and were pretty screwed up as people. Some people just seem to have the knack for putting it together in a way that communicates feelings. Many times they don't even have to work at it very hard- it just rolls out. Those that aren't able to go deeper and grow as people end up doing more variations of their best songs over and over. At least that has been my observation.

Another factor to consider is that at the level where artists are putting out and selling records, there is usually quite a bit of feedback and input from others to help shape the eventual result into something that will reach people and sell records.

I've had these same thoughts since this series started, as well, NormaRegula, Mrs. T, and venusian. And I've also been meaning to post about them for a long time. It's definitely been interesting. Some more thoughts to add to the mix. I think Dave's succeeded in raising many questions and REALLY creepy and weird connections in a very entertaining and amusing way (especially for such dark subjects). I got the impression that he took on a really big project and is feeling his way through how to complete it. While I generally agree with some of the criticism raised, I think in the LC series he's not insisting on particular answers, but on the questions, weirdness, coincidences, and the whole milieu, etc. I was thinking of reading his moon landing series too, and never got around to it, so I can't comment. I've also planned to look closer into that issue (faked landings, etc.) for many years and never got around to it, so I don't know, I've just run into bits and pieces of info that raised the issue.

I was also a big fan of the Doors and Led Zeppelin from an early age (around 10 or 11 on). The factors to consider about the whole industry -- and it is an industry -- are important. It's kind of like an assembly line approach in the entire entertainment industry. "Talent" is manufactured and packaged. So it's hard to say just how talented someone is inherently from just a cursory look. I think Dave HAS stirred a lot of sacred cows with the LC series. I'm just trying to add some more perspective. Some of what he says is just opinion, and some hard to verify, although he did mention at some point that he will make this into a book -- he's using the old serial publishing technique revived by Dickens with such wild success (as has Laura with Wave, Adventures, etc.). So he may eventually have more sources cited, bibliography, footnotes etc. But I think it's a valuable work, anyway.

Some of what he wrote was corrected by others, and he made corrections saying that he found it easier to do this project this way online and have readers give feedback, fact check, etc. Some of what people have objected to (including readers writing to him) IS just sacred cows and opinions, etc. What he's saying in a lot of places is not that the studio album is crap, but that the band was crappy live. Besides, the Monkeys, I think there WERE a lot of other "bands/musicians" that were not really musicians. I had heard before this series that certain bands, when they got together (or a certain lineup of a band), some of the band members did not really know how to play their instruments, etc.

In any case, I think quite a bit of what Dave has written is good food for thought and much of it resonates with me in a general way about the entire entertainment industry and pop culture. These not only manufacture "talent characters" they also destroy real talent regularly and always have. Anyone who is truly talented and creative will not last in this industry without strategically making it to a point to have enough independence and free space. But the distribution channels and media promotion are totally controlled. So you're always in a pickle if you want to create in these media.

It has close parallels to Laura and her work. She is the real deal, hasn't been co-opted or controlled or destroyed so she and her work are REALLY dangerous and have enormous potential for having a sea change in the control system. But all this makes it near impossible to get as wide an audience as those who are not the real deal, HAVE been co-opted/corrupted, sold out, etc. It is "their" game. If you play for the big audiences (in whatever niche) in the even larger information / communication field you WILL be controlled. I'm pretty sure there's very little way around it.

As far as writing beautiful songs, etc. I think everything mentioned in the above quote is at least a partial explanation, probably a combination of all of these things. Dave does say as much for certain examples: either writing or even playing the instruments on the studio recordings, e.g. "The Recking Crew" etc. These issues have become even worse over the years, and more obvious, AND exposed (Milly Vanilli, Ashley Simpson on Saturday Night Live, etc.). I mean lip syncing, as well as, people who sound great in the studio but terrible live, etc. has been around for a long time. And these days with the technology advances, you can make anybody sound great in a digital studio and seem to posses perfect musicianship. Also this reminds me of what Laura wrote about in The Wave about people who have a very pronounced gift for unconventional healing etc. but are alcoholics or just messed up in many ways. Some people are just like antennas and pick up and transmit certain things. I have some of this quality in several ways myself. To say a song is beautiful is subjective to a certain extent no matter what, I think. More than say if someone is a good musician or plays a particular instrument well or not. Some people will really like a song or (think it's beautiful), others won't. But there is some more objective criteria when it comes to whether someone plays an instrument well or not. Also these issues have been around and known for ever. Not only studio session musicians being hired, with or without credit, songs being written by others than those who perform them, again with or without credit, etc. I've dabbled in music and film, so these issues are certainly not unknown (and that's how I also know a bit the controlling, pathological, oppressive, suffocating, repulsive atmosphere first hand). Also, a distinction should be made between those who are always terrible live, and those who are, if not terrible, not as good as expected sometimes. Jimmy Page is known for this, depending on how intoxicated he is on stage (or if it's a "good trip or a bad one" I guess).

I think Inside the LC HAS been valuable to spot programs, reactions, sacred cows, etc. as well. I knew, for instance, about Jimmy Page's fascination or obsession with Crowely, but not about some of Jim Morrison's eyebrow raising connections and background covered by Dave (although I'd read a biography back then). I've joked to my brother that I'm bracing myself because so far other favorite bands such as Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath have not been implicated. Though Black Sabbath was in a very roundabout way with their manager whose daughter, Sharon, ended up marrying Ozzy Osborne after he left the band for a Solo career. (Heck even John Lennon showed up with Ravi Shankar at one of the get-togethers at the LC, so more evidence that you just can't be working in the industry and NOT come into contact with, and to some degree even be influenced by, the gang at the center of LC and the puppet masters behind the scenes.) But it HAS been in jest because I've put out any of these types of sacred cows over a couple of decades. I would NOT be surprised if any of them WERE implicated in creepy connections.

By the way, another thing I've been meaning to look into or ask for a while: does anyone know if Ravi Ravi Shankar of Art of Living is the same Ravi Shankar? That could be another one of those connections.

SeekinTruth said:
By the way, another thing I've been meaning to look into or ask for a while: does anyone know if Ravi Ravi Shankar of Art of Living is the same Ravi Shankar? That could be another one of those connections.

Art of Living Shankar is not the same person as Ravi Shankar the musician.

One other thing to note is the time period Dave McGowan is writing about. At that time ('60's and '70's) the whole singer/ songwriter/ making records thing really exploded into a mass market. In the beginning of that, it was possible for the first ones through the door to achieve success. More a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the right connections than about superior talent or insight. In that regard, I think what Dave is postulating, which is that perhaps there was a hidden force guiding this, with an agenda- is quite plausible. Popular music is a vehicle for idea-insertion every bit as powerful as TV. Learning how this force has operated in the political sphere through books like Controversy of Zion and those of Fletcher Prouty makes me consider it even likely.

venusian said:
One other thing to note is the time period Dave McGowan is writing about. At that time ('60's and '70's) the whole singer/ songwriter/ making records thing really exploded into a mass market. In the beginning of that, it was possible for the first ones through the door to achieve success. More a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the right connections than about superior talent or insight. In that regard, I think what Dave is postulating, which is that perhaps there was a hidden force guiding this, with an agenda- is quite plausible. Popular music is a vehicle for idea-insertion every bit as powerful as TV. Learning how this force has operated in the political sphere through books like Controversy of Zion and those of Fletcher Prouty makes me consider it even likely.

I read a short interview of Mick Jagger where he said that there was a short period of time where bands could make a lot of money with their music and that it lasted around 20 years.

There is something I am wondering though and I don't think it would be easy to find a clear answer.
Is all of this created on purpose or is it more a matter of opportunity for the 4D STS who are "sensing" (?) an opportunity to corrupt something creative and act on the events for their own purposes ?

I know there are deep level punctuator, is this the same kind of thing at play or something else ?

A: The lines blur. Rothchilds are similar in a smaller way to Sargon. Deep level punctuator.

Q: (L) What is a deep level punctuator?

A: One who emerges from seeming obscurity to "make a mark" on history. Don't you wonder where they come from? Think "deep."

Q: As in underground bases?

A: Well, what a concept!

Sorry if this has been already discussed somewhere.

Tigersoap said:
There is something I am wondering though and I don't think it would be easy to find a clear answer.
Is all of this created on purpose or is it more a matter of opportunity for the 4D STS who are "sensing" (?) an opportunity to corrupt something creative and act on the events for their own purposes ?

I know there are deep level punctuator, is this the same kind of thing at play or something else ?

A: The lines blur. Rothchilds are similar in a smaller way to Sargon. Deep level punctuator.

Q: (L) What is a deep level punctuator?

A: One who emerges from seeming obscurity to "make a mark" on history. Don't you wonder where they come from? Think "deep."

Q: As in underground bases?

A: Well, what a concept!

Sorry if this has been already discussed somewhere.

I'd tend to think that the whole thing is planned, created on purpose.

Music and popular culture is one of the main ways our society is influenced and controlled and "They" have been interfering and manipulating 3D for thousands of years and as time is not a barrier, they could have managed the whole thing right from the start.

But I'd bet that they also interfere with cases of genunine creativity and try to corrupt and control that whenever they can.

Interesting thought about the deep level punctuator - that could be a possibility too.

Seekin Truth said:
Also this reminds me of what Laura wrote about in The Wave about people who have a very pronounced gift for unconventional healing etc. but are alcoholics or just messed up in many ways.

I think that real talent can almost be a burden for some people and, probably because of narcissistic wounding, they will sabotage themselves. I have a friend like that. She has perfect/absolute pitch. She used to play the violin, the harp, the piano, etc. like a pro but she is such a mess. She does not care for her talent one bit, she sabotaged her exam for the Conservatoire (Music academy?). She never actually practices, she just does not care. She prefers dating shady characters who rob banks or end up in mental institutes. I know people who would do anything for a tenth of what she can do. Such a waste...

Edited to fix the quotation boxes

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
I have a question I've been meaning to ask for the longest time: how can these really disturbed characters (and sometimes full-on psychos) as those of the LC or in the Punk movement write such beautiful songs? For example, 'Just a Perfect Day' by Lou Reed is a gorgeous song (and God knows Lou Reed is some shady character), and there are many wonderful songs in the LC movement as well.

FWIW. Yeah it's a beautiful song, but I think it's mostly due to the melody, cause when you look at the lyrics, there's absolutely nothing original or creative in there (IMO):

Just A Perfect Day,
Drink Sangria In The Park,
And Then Later, When It Gets Dark,
We Go Home.
Just A Perfect Day,
Feed Animals In The Zoo
Then Later, A Movie, Too,
And Then Home.

Oh It's Such A Perfect Day,
I'm Glad I Spent It With You.
Oh Such A Perfect Day,
You Just Keep Me Hanging On,
You Just Keep Me Hanging On.

I mean, that's not exactly Baudelaire, is it? :rolleyes:
It's just a good product, beautiful sentimental melody probably designed to strike the right cords in people's hearts. Everyone gives it a personal interpretation/hears in it what they want to hear. OSIT.

Wiki said:
The song's lyrics are often considered to suggest simple, conventional romantic devotion, possibly alluding to Reed's relationship with Bettye Kronstadt (soon to become his first wife) and Reed’s own conflicts with his sexuality, drug use, and ego.[2]
Some commentators have further seen the lyrical subtext as displaying Reed's romanticized attitude towards a period of his own addiction to heroin; this popular understanding of the song as an ode to addiction led to its inclusion in the soundtrack for Trainspotting, a film about the lives of heroin users.
:/

Mrs Tigersoap said:
I have a question I've been meaning to ask for the longest time: how can these really disturbed characters (and sometimes full-on psychos) as those of the LC or in the Punk movement write such beautiful songs?
Though it is likely the case that the musicians/entertainers written about in this series represent the full spectrum of 'humanity'. I think it is also important to remember what the C's have said about many of those who we assume to be psychopaths are actually souled humans in great inner turmoil. IMO, many of those who have written and performed the popular 60's and 70's music, much of which could be considered 'beautiful' were of this leaning. When one is controlled to such an extent it seems like abuse of substances as well as others is the norm. Writing said songs might be a 'positive outlet' through which their 'better half' can express itself. In many, it might be the only occasion. I can't help but to compare the songs of then with songs/entertainers of today, such as lady Gaga whose music sounds/feels empty, yet sells.

SeekinTruth said:
Anyone who is truly talented and creative will not last in this industry without strategically making it to a point to have enough independence and free space. But the distribution channels and media promotion are totally controlled. So you're always in a pickle if you want to create in these media.
I'm not sure that music production/sales is totally controlled. Sure, if one is a 'star', but their are many, many independent musicians/groups that make a comfortable living(not wealthy) who would not sign with a big-name label in order to preserve their independence. From what I've noticed, they tend to be much better live than their popular contemporaries as they depend on it for their bread. Far moreso than selling records.

ST said:
I've joked to my brother that I'm bracing myself because so far other favorite bands such as Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath have not been implicated.
Many of the musicians 'implicated' in this series fit the above 'great inner turmoil' pattern. Not all of course, but I don't think you should label them based solely on Dave's word. Do some research yourself and remember that many of his implications are also opinions. I had to take many sacred cows out back after reading this series, but also many of McGowans claims are unsubstantiated. Like anart mentioned, it's the bigger picture being exposed that is key.

Tigersoap said:

Good question. Though not exactly the same, a look at the 'truth movement' might also give us a glimpse into how art/entertainment might be controlled. Apparently within the 'movement' there are those who question the official stories but have no awareness/knowledge as to how to avoid being misled. And so are. Then there are those who have knowledge to avoid being misled and are constantly working on promoting this awakening awareness('dangerous'). Then there are those 'sent in' to disrupt, corrupt, mislead and destroy all such persons/groups.

Theory here:
If Jim Morrison, for example, is of the questioning type but also perceived to have the ability to sell lots of records, he aquires a handler so as to not incite questioning amongst the masses, but enough as to make the record companies lots of money. Possibly knowing his weakness for substances and his history of being somewhat unstable(career military family), it's a gamble the ptb take. He can always be disposed of(and many were).

Also, although 4DSTS seems to control things here, as has been demonstrated by Laura and others, is it not also possible to have influences from 4DSTO or even 6D, ala C's? And do the rare few involved in art/music have this connection(DaVinci for example)? Did many who wrote beautiful, powerful music? And the PTB couldn't stop them, yet could attempt to steer them? Thru drugs, for example?

Not sure if their is a relation, but The Doors producer of most of their albums was a Rothschild. :/

Lùthien said:
I mean, that's not exactly Baudelaire, is it?

Usually the things that touch me are the simplest. What touches me is what I find beautiful. Perhaps his idea of a 'perfect day' is my idea of a perfect day and that's why I really appreciate that song, so that's probably subjective indeed. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think we can find 'objective' music in mainstream music. Although I do appreciate Baudelaire's poems, and simply marvel at the mastery of the language, they don't particularly touch me. I don't think songs/arts/books have to be masterpieces to touch people.

Lùthien said:
Some commentators have further seen the lyrical subtext as displaying Reed's romanticized attitude towards a period of his own addiction to heroin; this popular understanding of the song as an ode to addiction led to its inclusion in the soundtrack for Trainspotting, a film about the lives of heroin users.

There is also a bit from Bizet's Carmen in Trainspotting, I wonder if the same commentators will say that this inclusion in Trainspotting is also due to a shady subtext of the opera? :lol:

Lou Reed is a shady character and a (former?) drug addict, but not every single one of his songs is about that, IMO. Maybe 'Perfect Day' is, maybe it isn't. Johnny Cash (I'm a fan) also was a user, and he wrote beautiful, simple songs, which were not all linked to his substance abuse and which were not exactly Baudelaire either. I don't mind, I really appreciate them and find them beautiful.

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Lùthien said:
I mean, that's not exactly Baudelaire, is it?

Usually the things that touch me are the simplest. What touches me is what I find beautiful. Perhaps his idea of a 'perfect day' is my idea of a perfect day and that's why I really appreciate that song, so that's probably subjective indeed. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think we can find 'objective' music in mainstream music. Although I do appreciate Baudelaire's poems, and simply marvel at the mastery of the language, they don't particularly touch me. I don't think songs/arts/books have to be masterpieces to touch people.

I do agree with you, and was just trying to reflect on your question:

I have a question I've been meaning to ask for the longest time: how can these really disturbed characters (and sometimes full-on psychos) as those of the LC or in the Punk movement write such beautiful songs?

, trying to point out (as you say) that you don't have to be a genius, or even a "good" person to write songs that touch peope -- since yeah, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's relatively easy for the "handlers" of the musical/cultural scene to produce the kind of thing that will touch people and maybe further program them (not targetting Reed in particular, here :)). It makes me think of the way people project their own "inner landscape" onto psychopaths, who then use it to their advantage to further manipulate and destroy.

Lùthien said:
trying to point out (as you say) that you don't have to be a genius, or even a "good" person to write songs that touch peope

Yes, and that's at the same time a great thing and a sad thing, I think. I like that anybody can have access to the arts/music, etc. and do their own thing and touch people. But of course, it also means that it's then used by psychopaths to their advantage.

I still don't understand how these things work: for example, I like that song, I have no idea what it really talks about, it's actually about dope. And what comes next? Does that make me more susceptible to drugs? Find it more glamorous? Or is it just some joke that's played on me that makes Lou Reed (and whoever) laugh? Because I was apparently not the only one to be the butt of the joke: The BBC used that song to raise money for a Children in Need charity in 1997, and they raised more than 2 000 000 pounds with it!

Just stumbled upon this page. It sheds light on the deaths of many musicians previously mentioned. Many suspicious ones to be sure. Besides the 'typical' heroine overdose, plane crashes and suicides are rather common.

And getting to the substance abuse: An easy way to control the life(and death) of those in the 'fast lane' I would guess.

(It is wiki, so..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_in_rock_and_roll

Luthien said:
...you don't have to be a genius, or even a "good" person to write songs that touch peope -- since yeah, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's relatively easy for the "handlers" of the musical/cultural scene to produce the kind of thing that will touch people and maybe further program them (not targetting Reed in particular, here ).

You've hit on some good points. What people may think of as creative genius can merely be a mechanical, albeit clever and physically/emotionally-pleasing (dig them drum beats!) process.

Luthien said:
It makes me think of the way people project their own "inner landscape" onto psychopaths, who then use it to their advantage to further manipulate and destroy.

Yup. Persons at the top of the entertainment industry tend to be pathological and feed off the adulation, power and control that is offered via fans or those wanting to be part of the structure. Due to marketing campaigns, an awful lot of people tend to identify strongly with film actors/directors and rock stars and follow their 'lead' be it positive or negative. (Same goes for politicians and religious figures.) It's an excellent vectoring system for the public. Doesn't surprise me that much of the EI has been co-opted.

Back
Top Bottom