Inside the Laurel Canyon...

m said:
Vulcan59 said:
Bar Kochba said:
I wonder what happened to Dave. Is he on hiatus? Hasnt been anything new on his site since the middle of last year, I think.

Dave has continued his LC series. The latest installment posted on the 26th. Has some gruesome and shocking pictures, so be-warned. :shock:

That is far beyond shocking. I think we better just tell people straight up that there are images of what appears to be the body of a murder victim whose body is cut in half and severely mutilated.

My guess would be that the vast majority of humanity would not ever want to see something like that.

Yes, I had to put my hand over part of the screen to read some of the text. There should be a text only version!

Mr. Premise said:
m said:
Vulcan59 said:
Bar Kochba said:
I wonder what happened to Dave. Is he on hiatus? Hasnt been anything new on his site since the middle of last year, I think.

Dave has continued his LC series. The latest installment posted on the 26th. Has some gruesome and shocking pictures, so be-warned. :shock:

That is far beyond shocking. I think we better just tell people straight up that there are images of what appears to be the body of a murder victim whose body is cut in half and severely mutilated.

My guess would be that the vast majority of humanity would not ever want to see something like that.

Yes, I had to put my hand over part of the screen to read some of the text. There should be a text only version!

Yep. As difficult as it was to see those pictures, it really makes it hit home just what a disgusting world this is, that such monsters exist who would do such things to a person. And to think that that sort inhumanity occurs on a daily basis... It's absolutely heart-wrenching...

Approaching Infinity said:
Yep. As difficult as it was to see those pictures, it really makes it hit home just what a disgusting world this is, that such monsters exist who would do such things to a person. And to think that that sort inhumanity occurs on a daily basis... It's absolutely heart-wrenching...

That's the exact way it is here where I live, the madness has reached a level where everyday we see pictures like these in the newspapers. Even there was a time a couple of years or so in wich some mutilated human parts were thrown away in a junior high school entrance. You could imagine the scene,

And people seem to be more and more accustomed gradually. There are saddening signs of desensitization like popular songs on the radio wich blatantly extoll criminal life, and so many kids liked it and make jokes about it.

Mr. Premise said:

You could save the web page as only text ("Save as" and then select "text files" in your browser). Hope this helps.

That was brutal. If only 5% of what he writes is true, it's beyond horrible. To think of these wealthy people who get their jollies doing what they do to children, I really get a sick feeling in my stomach and then become angry. It's so inconceivable that when I broach the possibility of these atrocities with anyone, they automatically say it's b.s. and won't talk about it.

Mr. Premise said:

It's now on sott:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/229314-Inside-The-LC-The-Strange-but-Mostly-True-Story-of-Laurel-Canyon-and-the-Birth-of-the-Hippie-Generation-Part-XVIII

without those horrific pictures. It was very difficult to see those pictures to the point I had trouble reading the text.

In the comments section below the SOTT focus article, Climate Change, Food Shortages and Economic Crisis - Coming to a Town Near You, "Gore" left a link in his comment that led to a sight about Serge Monast and the research he was doing on the Project Blue Beam.

_http://educate-yourself.org/cn/projectbluebeam25jul05.shtml

On that page there is another link to a 90 minute talk he gave on the subject around 1994.

_http://educate-yourself.org/cn/sergemonast1994transcript.shtml

Within that transcript I found this:

"Now, if we go further in the different reports we have over here, we find this: The mind control operation and technology include a transmitter which broadcasts at the frequency of the human nervous system, which system is manufactured by the Laurel Electro-Optical System in Pasadena, California.
Laurel, a major defense contractor had previously conducted research on directed-energy weapons for Lieutenant-General Leonard Perez of the U.S. Air Force who was searching for a weapon to implant messages into the minds of the enemy and to urge his own truth onto superhuman deeds of valor."

I don't know whether there is any kind of connection, but it would seem plausible given the presence of the secret military installation on the mountain in Laurel Canyon - the one with the full movie studio that has made over 19,000 films produced by the USAF.

I thought it was interesting, anyway.

*edit by mod* deactivated link

Hi cholas,

FYI, that installment was carried on SotT around the same date: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/233556-Inside-The-LC-The-Strange-but-Mostly-True-Story-of-Laurel-Canyon-and-the-Birth-of-the-Hippie-Generation-Part-XIX

In light of Dave McGowan's flight into fantasy concerning actors at the Boston Bombings, and the subsequent discussion under Joe's article trying to de-fantasize some of it, it might be a good idea to review and reconsider at least some of what he wrote in this Laurel Canyon series.

Take Frank Zappa, for instance. McGowan placed him pretty centrally in the 'Laurel Canyon 60s counter-culture spider's web' and stated that he was "by numerous accounts, a pro-war, rigidly authoritarian control-freak." Searching for evidence to support this claim, I instead found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANWLGKKAwuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVOjp1xn2U

...and much else besides that points me towards a rather different assessment of Frank Zappa: he was very much politically aware (in the sense that he knew that both the left and the right were taken over by psychopaths/authoritarians/real "control-freaks"); he was intelligent; and he spoke out on real matters quite often - in fact, as often as he could - especially in his last years.

Kniall said:
In light of Dave McGowan's flight into fantasy concerning actors at the Boston Bombings, and the subsequent discussion under Joe's article trying to de-fantasize some of it, it might be a good idea to review and reconsider at least some of what he wrote in this Laurel Canyon series.

Take Frank Zappa, for instance. McGowan placed him pretty centrally in the 'Laurel Canyon 60s counter-culture spider's web' and stated that he was "by numerous accounts, a pro-war, rigidly authoritarian control-freak." Searching for evidence to support this claim, I instead found this:

...and much else besides that points me towards a rather different assessment of Frank Zappa: he was very much politically aware (in the sense that he knew that both the left and the right were taken over by psychopaths/authoritarians/real "control-freaks"); he was intelligent; and he spoke out on real matters quite often - in fact, as often as he could - especially in his last years.

Yup, Zappa may not have been a saint, but he showed some indications that he was a decent guy at heart...

One of his early songs - I'm The Slime (On Your Video)

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I am the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime oozin' out
From your tv set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't got for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks..
Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

I am the slime from your video
Cant stop the slime, people, lookit me go

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWA-TXJmeQo

Now here's a look at what was going on in the Sixties that I think is a lot more balanced than McGowan's. Mae Brussell wrote this in 1976:

From Monterey Pop to Altamont: Operation Chaos, the CIA's War against the Sixties Counter-Culture
http://www.sott.net/article/264505-From-Monterey-Pop-to-Altamont-Operation-Chaos-the-CIAs-War-against-the-Sixties-Counter-Culture

Some excerpts:

Brussell said:
By 1968, the FBI's Counterintelligence Program, and the CIA's Operation Chaos, had included among their long list of domestic enemies "Advocates of New Lifestyles," "New Left," "Apostles of Non-Violence and Racial Harmony" and "Restless Youth."

[...]

For the first time, young Americans found themselves with enough space and time to communicate.

[...]

The CIA got into the business of altering human behavior in 1947.

[...]

American and German scientists, working with the CIA, then the military, started developing every possible method of controlling the mind.

[...]

By 1966, LBJ had ordered all writers and critics of his Commission Report on the JFK murder to be under surveillance.

[...]

It is important to understand the kinds of drugs and agents available to stifle dissent, the mentality of people hell-bent on changing the course of history, in order to comprehend that cultures and tastes can be moved in directions according to game plans in the hands of a few people.

[...]

For all who remembered Kennedy kindly, who complained about his assassination, history was being arranged with a scissors and scotch tape.

Kennedy would come out a scummy killer himself.

Rather than leave you thinking the musicians themselves were instrumental in generating chaos and subverting the antiwar movement, Brussell identified the real culprits way higher up the food chain.

Kniall said:

Have to agree here that Frank Zappa, who's music on the surface sent many running away (and some of it was pretty crude), similar to how George Carlin could turn people off ("seven dirty words you can't say on television", type). If listened to with some of his lyrics, he was the opposite of what was being promoted by the industry. He seemed within the industry to be calling them out (legal battles with MGM) and generally being a societal and authoritarian cynic, calling out what was being shaped/tailored in the main.

I don't know enough to get a full view of things, however, in the latter years he seemed to be angering many in the body politic.

He was born on the equinox: Born: 21-Dec-1940, and here are a couple of things reported:

_http://www.nndb.com/people/737/000024665/

snips said:
Despite their growing popularity (or, apparently, because of it), Zappa was becoming increasingly disenchanted with his own band -- having developed an adversarial, employer/employee relationship with the other musicians, many of whom took a dim view of his refusal to injest "recreational substances" -- and following a tour in the summer of 1969 he made the decision the disband the Mothers.

[...]

This second incarnation of the Mothers was abruptly terminated at a show at the Rainbow Theatre in London on 10 December, mere days after the band had lost all its gear in a fire that had erupted during a performance in Montreaux: just as Frank was returning to the stage for an encore, a demented fan attacked him, pushing him into the orchestra pit ten feet below. He would spend the next several weeks in a London hospital, recovering from the numerous injuries brought about by the fall; surgery to repair his throat caused his voice to drop a third of an octave.

Despite being in a leg cast and confined to a wheelchair, Zappa resumed his musical activities as soon as was possible, once again exploring the largely-instrumental fusion direction of Hot Rats with the aid of Dunbar, dynamic keyboardist George Duke and an extensive brass/wind section.

[...]

By the mid-1980s Zappa's reputation as an outspoken social critic had drawn him into various non- or extra-musical contexts, the most visible of these being precipitated by the public hearings held in September 1985 to address the record ratings system demanded by the Parents' Music Resource Center. Amongst the list of music industry figures called to speak -- ranging from Twisted Sister's Dee Snider to country boy John Denver -- Zappa delivered the most thoroughly researched and well-considered testimony; this increased public profile immediately resulted in several invitations to speak as a guest lecturer, most often on the topic of censorship. In 1989 he composed a score to the Cousteau Society documentary Outrage at Valdez in order to draw more attention to the ecological disaster it portrayed, and for which he donated his fee back to the Society. As the 1980s came to a close, Frank also became more active in different business ventures, establishing Why Not?, a consulting company geared towards facilitating U.S. investment in the Soviet Union just prior to the fall of communism; these dealings eventually led to a request in 1990 from Czech president Vaclav Havel for Zappa to officially represent Czechia's trade interests in the United States (an arrangement that was forcibly terminated by the first Bush administration soon afterwards). For a brief period in 1991, he even researched the possibility of running for president himself { :wow: - running against Bush Sr - what a thought}, and a few grassroots groups continued to pursue this idea independently until Zappa's death two years later....

So based on what McGowan has said, perhaps this has been woven somewhat, it is not necessarily the picture that is seen.

While reviewing an interview with, Noam Chomsky, noticed this separate interview and though of this thread were Zapppa is being looked at. As such, these apparently are likely the last interviews he gave:

Zappa Interview Today Show 1993 _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYzuwG-gOE

The interview was conducted by, Jamie Gangel, and as they said, it almost did not happen due to his illness with Pancreatic Cancer.

Noted here is a segment when Gangel admonishes Frank for smoking - his response:

(7:45min) “I don’t believe that all the stories about the evil effects of tobacco are true – I would say to me, a cigarette is food, tobacco is my favorite vegetable” - drugs and alcohol were complete opposites. Further, he gives his thoughts on other things, including how he should be remembered, when asked that question.

Also, here is the link to his very last interview of this world. He is talking about his friend, Nicolas Slonimsky:

"He's just a brilliant mind. And a very warm-hearted spirit. And these are qualities not often found linked together in human beings. And... I just liked him. One of the things I really liked about him was his wardrobe. I always was impressed with his wardrobe from the first time he came over, because he had that look. He had the look of a real guy from that era, you know what I mean? The right kind of shoes, the right kind of tweed, rumple, worn for a thousand years. Kinda... sport coat, pants too short. He was wonderful. He was a fully developed character."

Back
Top Bottom