I think I have the flu, diet advice please

realitybugll

Jedi Council Member
THis is only my second day with the flu so maybe it will dissipate on its own. Anyways I had a look for a little bit on the diet section, I guess I need to get vitamin C. Not sure what kind though, also is there any other practical advice you can give me?

-I have a dry cough that's is pretty nasty but my throat doesn't hurt much. Just my chest and sides when I cough. My asthma returned, it went away when I was 5 but whenever I get a cold or cough My asthma comes back. ALso I've developed bronchitis
-Also muscle aches most of my body including head, probably most severe in my arms. Even when i don't have a fever.
-RIght now I have a fever of 103. Thats high for me, don't remember that bad a fever since I was really young.
-The fever has gone down all the way I few times when I had advil and then slept, but after a while when I get up my fever comes back.
- Also I'm shaky and shivering and cold a lot of the time. I had to get a second blanket because I woke up shivering a lot. also very broken up sleep, and it is really hard for me to get to sleep and not necessarily because of physical pain. my mind not quieting down.

You can get some plain ascorbic acid (vitamin C), without sweetener. If you can't get a hold of it, then any vitamin C from the pharmacy will do, at least make sure it doesn't have artificial sweeteners like aspartame. Also get some NAC, they also sell it at the pharmacy as Mucomyst (in some countries at least), and you can have 400mg every 6 hours, that will help you out as well.

Hope you get well soon. Make sure you get plenty of rest and be comfortably warm.

You absolutely need to balance your diet in favor of alkalinity. So eat plenty of fruits (except plum) and vegetables and light meat (poultry, lamb) an fish. Do not eat too much. Drink a lot.
If you can, have footbath two times a day.

Unless your fever become delirious do not cut it, the fever is here to stop virus replication.

Have a good recovery :-)

Take 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a big glass of warm water every two hours for 3 doses. Plenty of hot, home made chicken soup. NAC is very important. When I was sick, every time I would start to stuff up again, or cough, I took another one. Also, if possible, sleep with a steam vaporizer in your room.

realitybugll said:
THis is only my second day with the flu so maybe it will dissipate on its own. Anyways I had a look for a little bit on the diet section, I guess I need to get vitamin C. Not sure what kind though, also is there any other practical advice you can give me?

-I have a dry cough that's is pretty nasty but my throat doesn't hurt much. Just my chest and sides when I cough. My asthma returned, it went away when I was 5 but whenever I get a cold or cough My asthma comes back. ALso I've developed bronchitis
-Also muscle aches most of my body including head, probably most severe in my arms. Even when i don't have a fever.
-RIght now I have a fever of 103. Thats high for me, don't remember that bad a fever since I was really young.
-The fever has gone down all the way I few times when I had advil and then slept, but after a while when I get up my fever comes back.
- Also I'm shaky and shivering and cold a lot of the time. I had to get a second blanket because I woke up shivering a lot. also very broken up sleep, and it is really hard for me to get to sleep and not necessarily because of physical pain. my mind not quieting down.

FWIW, I had the swine flu about 6-7 weeks ago. Not sure if you have the regular seasonal flu or not, but what I found most helpful was the mentioned Vitamin C, NAC and PLENTY of water. Just ride it out, get as much sleep as you possibly can (I know - it's very hard to sleep when you feel like you've been run over (physically) and your mind just won't turn off!) :)

Hope you feel better soon.

drink a lot of water/tea
vitamin and mineral suplements could help. i would also suggest honey , cerals , light meat ,vegetables, olive oil , nuts
make yourself warm.you must "sweat it out". reduce your activity-be calm-meditate :cool:
google: mediterranean diet

drink a lot of water/tea
vitamin and mineral suplements could help. i would also suggest honey , cerals , light meat ,vegetables, olive oil , nuts
make yourself warm.you must "sweat it out". reduce your activity-be calm-meditate Cool
google: mediterranean diet

I thought that grains, nuts & also chocolate were high in argenine??? Argenine scavenges Lysine which helps to stop the replication of viruses. IMO, it might be good to avoid those.

I have had several near scrapes with the flu over the last month. Stopped it in it's tracks. I took the homeopathic remedy by Boiron called, Oscillocoxinum. And for good measure I snorted, gargled & put under my tongue... colloidal silver. And had a few doses of liquid elderberry. Still truckin'!

I am sorry you're feelin so yucky RealitybugII. Hope you recover quickly!

Thank you everyone. I'll let you know which advice I put to use, and what I am find when I go to the store. I'll try to ride my fever out and not take any more Ibuprofen.

I went to the safe-way next to my house. Only thing I could find is the baking soda. And, I've took a teaspoon twice. I never new this:
ellipse said:
You absolutely need to balance your diet in favor of alkalinity

If the flu persists my mom is going to take me to a health food store tomorrow where I can probably find the ascorbic acid and NAC.
I have a question, what do you recommend to take the ascorbic acid with? Just mix it in water?

By the way I am taking ibuprofen every 6 hours, and it's only reducing my fever to 102, which is what it is now. My temp made it to 104.1 so my mom got really concerned (she's a nurse).

For the first time even though I have a fever I'm not extremely cold, and I feel alright if I just sit in one place.

Also it's weird, even though I have been in bed all day I have only got about under 3 hours of sleep. My mind is going crazy like on auto-pilot and I am recalling things about my child-hood I haven't thought of in years.

thought I would write an update, thanks for all the good advice. By the way I had 3 grams of vitamin C from emergen-c packets because that's all I got.

If you have the Emergen-C, you can take that every hour or so until you feel a kind of bubbly feeling in your tummy. When I'm sick, I can take up to 20 or 25 grams before getting the bubbly feeling.

Yeah, one can take whatever dose of vitamin C is needed in order to recover, whatever that amount may be. You know when you reach your vitamin C limit when your tummy starts to "gargle", you have more gas or you have loose stools (ideally, this last one should be prevented). Here is more info about the doses: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13208.msg122399#msg122399 But you can take 3g every hour and see how it goes.

Thanks for the link psyche. I know there is much information about vitamin C on this forum, I do want to look into it.

Laura-the problem with the emergen-c packets is that I am getting 6 grams of sugar per 1g of vitamin C which can't be good for me. I'm going to wait to take a larger dose until I find the ascorbic acid.

modified: replaced would be with am and dosage with dose :)

I found ascorbic acid in powder (crystal) form, about 250 grams for 15.99, and I took 2.5 grams in water. wow! sour!

Okay guys I am confused, and it is hard to find answers as this is 'fringe' science to begin with...

Laura you urged me to
laura said:
Take 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a big glass of warm water every two hours for 3 doses.

ellipse you also support this logic because you said...
ellipse said:
You absolutely need to balance your diet in favor of alkalinity

Now I am wondering, wouldn't taking all this ascorbic acid make my body very acidic... and do the opposite of the baking soda.
:huh:

realitybugll said:
I found ascorbic acid in powder (crystal) form, about 250 grams for 15.99, and I took 2.5 grams in water. wow! sour!

Okay guys I am confused, and it is hard to find answers as this is 'fringe' science to begin with...

This is not at all fringe science, realitybug. The benefits of vitamin C have been very well known for a very, very long time.

Hi realitybugll,
What has helped me with viruses is monolaurin. As soon as I take it I feel immediate relief from any cold or flu like symptoms. A health food store may carry it. Here is some more info on monolaurin:

http://www.millnut.com/Monolaurin-by-Ecological-Formulas_p_3-78.html said:
Monolaurin 300mg by Ecological Formulas - 90 caps 300mg

Description

* Antivirus supplement for colds, flu, shingles, herpes, Epstein-Barr Virus, chronic fatigue syndrome.
* Protects the immune system from a range of infectious agents.
* No antibiotics - Does not destroy friendly bacteria.
* Monolaurin is good for both one-time and long-term preventative use.
* Extracted from coconut oil.

Ingredients and Suggested Use

Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings per Container: 90

* Calcium (phosphate) 106 mg 10%
* Monolaurin 300 mg *
* Inosine 7.5 mg *

*Daily Value Not Established

Other ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate, Cellulose Powder and Silicon Dioxide
Monolaurin contains the monoester of the fatty acid lauric acid.

Contains no corn, yeast, wheat, liver, citrus, or other common food or chemical allergens. Manufacturing methods incorporate special delayed release properties

Suggested Use:

For those who feel as if they are coming down with a viral infection, doctors often recommend taking six capsules on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, and for more severe cases, six more at night. (If you have a sensitive stomach, Monolaurin can be taken with food.) The dose can be tapered off as symptoms decrease.

Young children can also take Monolaurin at a reduced dose. If you are giving Monolaurin to children (or adults) who have difficulty swallowing capsules, you can break them open and sprinkle the Monolaurin into something such as applesauce or yogurt.

Some physicians recommend a maintenance dose of two capsules daily for Epstein-Bar Virus, Herpes 1 & 2, or other chronic viral condition. Of course, you should always seek the advice of a physician if you have fever, pain or if symptoms persist.

To treat herpes virus, some physicians recommend taking 6 capsules of Monolaurin when there is a flare-up and 2 capsules as a maintenance dose during dormant periods. Sometimes the herpes virus can be activated by Monolaurin and then killed, resulting in a Herxheimer-like reaction..

Similar protocols have been used with the Epstein-Barr virus (closely resembling the herpes virus), which may be responsible for Chronic Fatigue and even MS (16, 17).

More Info

What is Monolaurin?
Monolaurin is an anti-microbial agent that protects the immune system from a range of infectious agents. Monolaurin is a glyceride ester derivative of lauric acid, a fatty acid found naturally in breast milk and certain vegetable oils. This fatty acid has been used as a germicidal agent for centuries. Lauric acid was originally discovered when microbiologists studied human breast milk to determine the antiviral substances which protected infants from microbial infections. It has been shown to protect newborns, whose immune systems are underdeveloped, from Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and other respiratory tract viruses (1,2). Monolaurin was found to have even great viral activity than lauric acid. As a dietary supplement, Monolaurin has shown exciting results as an anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent.

How does Monolaurin work?
Monolaurin works by destroying lipid-coated viruses such as herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, and various pathogenic bacteria and protozoa.

Monolaurin works by binding to the lipid-protein envelope of the virus, thereby preventing it from attaching and entering host cells, making infection and replication impossible. Other studies show that Monolaurin disintegrates the viral envelope, killing the virus.

What is Monolaurin effective in treating?
In general, Monolaurin can help treat colds, flu, EBV, shingles, herpes, and chronic fatigue syndrome.

In studies performed at the Respiratory Virology Branch, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia, Monolaurin was found effective against 14 human RNA and DNA enveloped viruses in cell culture (3). These included influenza, RSV, Rubeola, Newcastle's, Coronavirus, Herpes Simplex types 1 & 2, Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus. (Monolaurin has no effect on naked viruses, such as polio, encephalitis virus, coxsachie, or pox viruses.) Monolaurin removed all measurable infectivity by disintegrating the virus envelope. In addition to its antiviral effects, monolaurin has also been shown to have antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus agalactiae, Groups A, F & G streptococci, Chlamydia, H. pylori, and against yeast and fungi as well, including Candida and ringworm.

How can I protect myself during the cold and flu season?
Monolaurin serves as a valuable nutritional adjunct for people who feel that they are coming down with a cold or flu. Many physicians have developed their own clinical protocols in their cold and flu prevention program and recommend taking several capsules of Monolaurin on an empty stomach.

Monolaurin is not the type of nutritional supplement you have to take on a daily basis (although many people take it regularly for prevention purposes), but only when the need arises. If you have a fever or swollen lymph glands, it is always best to see a physician, but if you sense the early warning signs of the flu, like sniffles, sore skin and perhaps a scratchy throat, Monolaurin may offer the first line of defense.

ANTIBIOTICS, MONOLAURIN AND THE FLU
Antibiotics kill unwanted micro-organisms, but they also kill many friendly micro-organisms. Monolaurin, on the other hand, does not appear to have an adverse effect on desirable digestive bacteria, but rather only on unwanted microorganisms. In addition Monolaurin can reduce the resistance of germs to antibiotics.

Frequent antibiotic use can lead to major disruptions in health and especially immune system function. Antibiotic resistance, resulting from the over-use of prescription drugs, is one of the biggest problems facing the medical community today. Resistance is cumulative (and comes in part from antibiotics in our food supply). That's why it's important to consider starting with nutritional agents, such as Monolaurin, first. Uncomplicated flu, while unpleasant, is not life threatening and doesn't necessitate drug therapy. Nutritional physiologic agents, such as Monolaurin, may be a good first choice.

Is Monolaurin safe?
Not only is Monolaurin included on the GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) list, but it may, by virtue of its source of origin, be safer than many other food supplements that are designed to boost the immune system.

One of the safest substances known to man is breast milk. This is where the monoglyceride of lauric acid (Monolaurin) is found. When an infant is born, it is totally dependent on food factors in the mother's milk for immune protection. In analyzing the composition of human breast milk, medical researchers found lauric acid monoglycerides in high concentrations, which is what led them to study Monolaurin as an anti-viral agent (4,5). Monolaurin is also found in coconut oil, butter, and heavy cream; only recently has it been isolated and purified. It is highly unusual in pharmacology to find chemicals that are toxic to lower forms of life (bacteria, fungi, and viruses) but non-toxic to man.

References

1. Isaacs CE. The antimicrobial function of milk lipids. Adv. Nutr. Res. 10:271-85, 2001.
2. Welsh JK, May JT. Anti-infective properties of breast milk. J. Pediatrics 94, 1-9, 1979.
3. Hierholzer JC and Kabara JJ. In vitro effects of Monolaurin compounds on enveloped RNA and DNA viruses. J. Food Safety 4:1, 1982.
4. Kabara JJ. Lipids as host-resistance factors of human milk. Nutr. Rev. 38:65, 1980.
5. Silver RK et al. Factors in human milk interfering with influenza-virus activities. Science 123:932-933, 1956.
6. Cohen SS. Strategy for the chemotherapy of infectious diseases. Science 197:431, 1977.
7. Dulbecco A. Interference with viral multi- plication. In: Virology, Dulbecco, A. and Ginsberg, H. edit, Harper & Row, Philadelphia, 1980.
8. Kabara JJ et al. Fatty acids and derivatives as antimicrobial agents. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2:23, 1972.
9. Sands JA et al. Antiviral effects of fatty acids and derivatives. In: Pharmacological Effects of Lipids. Am. Oil Chem. Soc: Champaign, 1979;75.
10. Beuchat LA. Comparison of antiviral activities of potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate and glycerol and sucrose esters of fatty acids. Appi. Environ. Microbiol. 39:1178, 1980.
11. Sands J et al. Extreme sensitivity of enveloped viruses, including herpes simplex, to long chain unsaturated monoglycerides and alcohols. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 15(1):67-73, 1979.
12. Kohn A. et al. Unsaturated free fatty acids inactivated animal envelope viruses. Arch. Virol. 66:301-306, 1980.
13. Ismail-Cassim, N et al. Inhibition of the uncoating of bovine enterovirus by short chain fatty acids. J. Gen. Virol. 71(10):2283-9, 1990.
14. Rabia S. et al. Inactivation of vesicular stomatitis virus by photosensitization following incubation with a pyrene-fatty acid. Febs. Let. 270(12):9-10, 1990.
15. Boddie RL and Nickerson SE. Evaluation of postmilking teat germicides containing Lauricidin, saturated fatty acids, and lactic acid. J. Dairy Sci. 75(6):1725-30, 1992.
16. Ascherio A., Munger K.L., Lenette E.T., Spiegelman D., Hernan M.A., Olek M.J., Hankinson S.E., and Hunter, D.J. Epstein-Barr virus antibodies and risk of multiple sclerosis: a prospective study. JAMA 286(24:3127-9, Dec. 26th, 2001.
17. Simmons A. Herpes virus and multiple sclerosis. Herpes 8(3):60-3, Nov. 2001.

Back
Top Bottom