Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

I have just started sessions, having completed session 9 yesterday. I am experiencing autonomic shaking or neck tremors while in the chamber. This has happened in the past, but it stopped for a few months - now it's back. I think it is similar to what Pete Levine has described in 'In An Unspoken Voice', somatic trauma release. I've been listening to his audiobook in the chamber.

I've noticed an overall fatigue, and also a reduced need for tobacco, as well as increased appetite. Mental clarity improves some days, while others it's like I'm lucky my head is attached to my shoulders or I'd leave it behind.

Where are you doing these sessions and what are the parameters?

We have a Macy-pan chamber here, and I have done about 16 sessions. Because I have been diagnosed with COPD, I decided to take it slow, and pay close attention to my lungs. I don't expect a problem as I am not going to 2.0 ATA. (I am not sure that the CPOD is a non-political diagnoses, as I suspect they wanted to 'encourage' me to quit smoking, and they kept pushing those steroid ventilator thingys on me to help with breathlessness problems they said I would have but have yet to experience myself)
With the Macy-pan ST702, and I suspect most 1.5ATA Hyperbaric chambers, the pressure level can be controlled manually. So I started at 1.1 ATA, for 4 one hour sessions the first week, and then 5 sessions at 1.2 ATA the second week. I have just finished last week sessions at 1.3 ATA, and had one session this week at 1.4 ATA.
I experimented with a 2 hour session at 1.2 ATA, and was just exhausted for the following day, and still quite tired on the second day. So I will not be doing a two hour session again any time soon! Perhaps after I have been doing 1.5 kPa for a while.
Also, re-listening to some of the Hyperbaric videos I was struck again by the hormetic response we are encouraging our bodies to make in ramping up our bodies anti-oxidant and immune response! Seeing as I am 66 years old, and with a COPD 'diagnosis', gradually ramping up the pressure has probably made it easier on my body. By starting at 1.1 kPa, and increasing by 0.1 kPa every week I am not stressing my body too much but still encouraging a hormetic response I would think. Next week I will be at 1.5 kPa(ATA) and will continue on from there, provided my lungs seem to be fine. Older people, or anyone really, who are starting out with HBOT may find a similar graduated approach beneficial.
Perhaps there are medically knowledgeable people here who could comment on the wisdom of a graduated approach?
I also usually use a nebulizer with magnesium water as the base, and diluted hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of DMSO to clear my lungs of biofilm/phlegm, hopefully helping to absorb oxygen from the mask when in the chamber. Sometimes I nebulize after a session with magnesium water, Vitamin C and DMSO. No indications that I should do so, I just thought it would not hurt, and I have rarely taken Vitamin C before or after a hyperbaric session, as I was concerned about short circuiting the bodies hormetic response, and as I was gradually increasing the pressure so I felt I was not demanding too much too quickly from my body.

Last edited:
Perhaps there are medically knowledgeable people here who could comment on the wisdom of a graduated approach?
FWIW I think its always a good idea to ease your body into any major changes, whether its a diet, a new exercise regimen or something like HBOT and that's what I advise my patients. Our bodies need time to adapt so easing into changes generally cuts down on possible uncomfortable side effects (like muscle soreness or fatigue or digestive upset) and its less risky for people with preexisting conditions.

As an aside and not really relevant to the Hyperbaric thread, @Bluefyre and I were talking about the hormetic effect of 20 minutes of oxygen, and then 5 minutes of air causing our bodies to adapt to a relative hypoxia. It occurred to me that something similar may be happening when we smoke cigarettes. Smoking would induce a relative hypoxia in comparison to our breathing air without smoking, creating an beneficial adaptive hormetic response in our bodies?

Where are you doing these sessions and what are the parameters?

The sessions are done in a Macy Pan, at 1.5 Atmospheres. My initial 6 sessions or so were 1 hour long, with 20 min oxygen, 20 min without, then 20 min oxygen, then exit.

More recently I have done 20 min oxygen, 5 without, 20 min oxygen, then 5 without, then 10-20 min oxygen, then exit. So roughly 1 hour sessions consistently, sometimes more.

I was doing the sessions once per day without breaks for the first week, but now I've tapered off and have taken a few days to rest. I am planning to take weekends off moving forwards to allow more time for my body to adjust.

For context, I'm coming off an episode of some kinda major somatic trauma release/adrenal fatigue collapse in February - the medical doctor couldn't tell me what had happened to me after a comprehensive set of blood tests, which came back clear. An acupuncturist I saw said that my kidneys were functioning at something like 30% capacity in February.

I've had the neuro-muscular tremors for a few years now. After the above collapse episode in February, they had stopped completely.

Recently, in June, I completed a one-month NeurOptimal regimen. At the tail end of this, the tremors started occurring again. This was just prior to the HBOT sessions.

I've seen that @Beorn posted about convulsions that can occur, with the main concern being paralyzed breathing. That's never been an issue for me. There is no pain, I don't lose consciousness, and my breathing is constant for the duration of the shaking - the doctor I spoke with ruled out neurodegenerative disorders after an in-person test. She didn't have any diagnosis to offer.

The tremors tend to occur when I am in a deeply relaxed state, such as while doing breathwork, during NO, during yoga, and now during HBOT. My best guess is that they indicate somatic trauma release as mentioned by Levine and/or nervous system damage because I spent far too many years taking far too many psychedelics.

We have a Macy-pan chamber here, and I have done about 16 sessions. Because I have been diagnosed with COPD, I decided to take it slow, and pay close attention to my lungs. I don't expect a problem as I am not going to 2.0 ATA. (I am not sure that the CPOD is a non-political diagnoses, as I suspect they wanted to 'encourage' me to quit smoking, and they kept pushing those steroid ventilator thingys on me to help with breathlessness problems they said I would have but have yet to experience myself)

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm extremely interested in the effect of HBOT on COPD.

We have a Macy-pan chamber here, and I have done about 16 sessions. Because I have been diagnosed with COPD, I decided to take it slow, and pay close attention to my lungs. I don't expect a problem as I am not going to 2.0 ATA. (I am not sure that the CPOD is a non-political diagnoses, as I suspect they wanted to 'encourage' me to quit smoking, and they kept pushing those steroid ventilator thingys on me to help with breathlessness problems they said I would have but have yet to experience myself).
A lot of people have been diagnosed with COPD. With the poor air quality in most urban areas, I'm not surprised many people have lung congestion, poor lung function, and low oxygen saturations. Oxygen is a cornerstone of health, so best to restore in any way that helps. Whether that be nebulizing, HBOT, deep breathing exercises and spirometer.

Another huge culprit is poor air quality in workplaces!!! I have been suffering from this in my optometry office. Geniuses who designed the office, put my office on the same HVAC system as the lens grinding lab. I've got filters and an air purifier, but I told them it is not enough. They need to bring in air quality experts and fix this problem. I will be looking towards new employment soon, god willing.

As for the steroid inhalers and albuterol (which is not really a steroid) - They are the worst! I used one for a day or so while sick with covid. It gives a quick improvement, but the rebound congestion and inflammation was terrible from them. I don't recommend, only in an emergency! Certainly not long-term use.

I have found smoking a cig actually helps expelling mucous from the lung/upper airway. Although current medical 'experts' would argue to the death how horrible smoking is.

Keep us posted on your progress, anartist! My mom and I have decided to purchase a macy-pan hbot soon. I'm excited to see if I can grow her a new hip bone! And restore my own lung function. :knitting:

I have found smoking a cig actually helps expelling mucous from the lung/upper airway. Although current medical 'experts' would argue to the death how horrible smoking is.
I had a post nasal drip for about 6 years that I believe caused a chronic coughing that never stopped during that time. I would spit out phlegm daily. I tried a lot of remedies and they never worked. When I started smoking regularly, it stopped. I do it every morning and I expel whatever builds up during my sleep.

I’m interested to see what other changes/ detoxification occurs during HBOT as my chamber should arrive today. 🤞

Just published:

Post-COVID-19 condition refers to a range of persisting physical, neurocognitive, and neuropsychological symptoms after SARS-CoV-2 infection. The mechanism can be related to brain tissue pathology caused by virus invasion or indirectly by neuroinflammation and hypercoagulability. This randomized, sham-control, double blind trial evaluated the effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT or HBO2 therapy) on post-COVID-19 patients with ongoing symptoms for at least 3 months after confirmed infection. Seventy-three patients were randomized to receive daily 40 session of HBOT (n = 37) or sham (n = 36). Follow-up assessments were performed at baseline and 1–3 weeks after the last treatment session. Following HBOT, there was a significant group-by-time interaction in global cognitive function, attention and executive function (d = 0.495, p = 0.038; d = 0.477, p = 0.04 and d = 0.463, p = 0.05 respectively). Significant improvement was also demonstrated in the energy domain (d = 0.522, p = 0.029), sleep (d = − 0.48, p = 0.042), psychiatric symptoms (d = 0.636, p = 0.008), and pain interference (d = 0.737, p = 0.001). Clinical outcomes were associated with significant improvement in brain MRI perfusion and microstructural changes in the supramarginal gyrus, left supplementary motor area, right insula, left frontal precentral gyrus, right middle frontal gyrus, and superior corona radiate. These results indicate that HBOT can induce neuroplasticity and improve cognitive, psychiatric, fatigue, sleep and pain symptoms of patients suffering from post-COVID-19 condition. HBOT’s beneficial effect may be attributed to increased brain perfusion and neuroplasticity in regions associated with cognitive and emotional roles.

Article available at link above.

This was the HBOT protocol and the sham protocol:

The HBOT protocol included breathing 100% oxygen by mask at 2ATA for 90 min with five-minute air breaks every 20 min. Compression/decompression rates were 1.0 m/min. The sham protocol included breathing 21% oxygen by mask at 1.03 ATA for 90 min.

Keep us posted on your progress, anartist! My mom and I have decided to purchase a macy-pan hbot soon. I'm excited to see if I can grow her a new hip bone! And restore my own lung function
I myself also have a diagnosis of moderate osteoarthritis in my left hip joint. I too will be interested to see if the HBOT will help improve that situation.

Hi guys! I found here a place thar does the treatment for 20 USD per session and I'm going tomorrow for the first time. I visited the place and the doctor there recommended the 2.4 ATA, I told him had acne and candida overgrowth, besides that I am healthy. Though I'm a bit hesitant wether this will be too much pressure, so I will ask if for the first time I can do it lower. I'll report here what happens after. Thank you so much for the information provided! 🙌

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm extremely interested in the effect of HBOT on COPD.
Ditto. I've got copd and I find that smoking helps significantly to expel the mucus and phlegm that builds up overnight I also use two different types or kinds of inhalers, spiriva respimat, two puffs once in the morning, and salbutamol sulfate, no more than three times daily.
I also expel phlegm and mucus periodically, but easily, throughout the day. I'm thinking about discontinuing the inhalers altogether just to see what happens.

Hi guys, been a long time since posting. Been reading this thread and think I need to buy a HBOT chamber for my health issues. Talked to both Zoy-Tech and Macy-Pan and the chambers seem similar technically and in quality(?), but Macy-Pan is USD1000 more (so far, not quite done yet).

So, those out there that have been using your chambers for a while, any problems, or just happy?

Also, anyone from Sweden that have ordered a HBOT chamber?

Hi guys, been a long time since posting. Been reading this thread and think I need to buy a HBOT chamber for my health issues. Talked to both Zoy-Tech and Macy-Pan and the chambers seem similar technically and in quality(?), but Macy-Pan is USD1000 more (so far, not quite done yet).

So, those out there that have been using your chambers for a while, any problems, or just happy?

Also, anyone from Sweden that have ordered a HBOT chamber?

I think it is safe to say that we love our Macy-Pan. I know there is a 1 K difference in price, but I can't say why unless I was to try the other one.

Ours came with the oxygen condenser thing, a compressor for pressurizing the chamber, and a small air conditioner that cools and dries the air to make the chamber more comfortable. Still, we have a little portable clip-on fan inside, attached to the internal frame for those who run a bit hot. We have a couple of pillows in there and a flashlight suspended from the frame along with a timer. It's just like home inside there! I usually read or doze a bit while inside.

I've been watching the pressure and it seems that it runs just a bit higher than 1.5.

As of today, I've done 47 sessions. I really am feeling much better in a lot of ways. I figure that, at 1.5 ATA, I will need to do twice as many sessions as someone doing 2.0 ATA or higher to get the same results. So, I'm aiming for 120 sessions before I stop for awhile. That means I have 13 to go to get to the halfway mark.

Back
Top Bottom