Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy as an Adjunct Healing Modality​

Story at a glance:
  • Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) involves breathing air or oxygen in a pressurized chamber. The pressure allows your body to absorb a higher percentage of oxygen
  • There’s a wide range of conditions for which HBOT can be beneficial, including autoimmune conditions, neurological conditions, musculoskeletal injuries, mitochondrial dysfunction-driven conditions, ailments involving damaged microcirculation, chronic infections, subacute infections and cancer co-management
  • Hyperbaric oxygen improves mitochondrial function, helps with detoxification, inhibits and controls inflammation and optimizes your body’s energy production and healing capacity
  • HBOT also activates stem cell production, and can help optimize results when doing stem cell therapy
  • While HBOT can speed healing of any inflammatory condition, in the U.S., there are only 14 conditions for which insurance will pay, one of which is diabetic neuropathy, and typically only after other conventional treatments have failed. There are over 100 internationally recognized indications for hyperbaric use
The attached paper is quite good as an introduction even though it is pretty much US-centered and we are an international forum.

What is still missing is a list of the approx. 100 conditions HBOT can be used for. I have seen it mentioned in various articles but so far haven't found a list that gets close to these 100 conditions.

I have a question for those who have the home HBOT units, in particular those using the Apex 32 from Oxyrevo. What is the overall sound footprint for the unit? Where you live, be it apartment or suits of detached houses, how aware are other people of the sound it makes? I ask because I am looking for a new place to live and I wanted a space where there would be sufficient privacy for its use. What have your experiences been in either apartments or suites of detached houses?

I have a question for those who have the home HBOT units, in particular those using the Apex 32 from Oxyrevo. What is the overall sound footprint for the unit? Where you live, be it apartment or suits of detached houses, how aware are other people of the sound it makes? I ask because I am looking for a new place to live and I wanted a space where there would be sufficient privacy for its use. What have your experiences been in either apartments or suites of detached houses?
I wish I could answer, but I have not received my unit yet because of bank problems. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer you, otherwise, I'll update you as soon as I receive my unit.

What is the overall sound footprint for the unit?
I wonder this myself. I recently moved to a townhouse-style place attached to other units. It is not the sound, but the vibration of the compressor that concerns me as it is significant, I think (I have the same concern about my computer's subwoofer speaker on my floor and I tend to be careful about playing loud music). I will start it up next week and see. My neighbors on either side work during the day, so it'll be safe during daylight hours, but I will wonder if they would be able to hear or "feel" the vibration.

I wonder this myself. I recently moved to a townhouse-style place attached to other units. It is not the sound, but the vibration of the compressor that concerns me as it is significant, I think (I have the same concern about my computer's subwoofer speaker on my floor and I tend to be careful about playing loud music). I will start it up next week and see. My neighbors on either side work during the day, so it'll be safe during daylight hours, but I will wonder if they would be able to hear or "feel" the vibration.

Vibration I think could be mitigated sufficiently with modular foam floor padding. If sound is a problem, I'd need to almost cocoon it somehow but then the air suction is sub-par so... :whistle:

Vibration I think could be mitigated sufficiently with modular foam floor padding. If sound is a problem, I'd need to almost cocoon it somehow but then the air suction is sub-par so
I suspect that vibration will be more of an issue than sound. I don't think mitigating sound by placing something like a cardboard box over the compressor would hamper its suction if space at the bottom is left open. People run vacuum cleaners all the time without a thought and the compressor is not so loud as that. Good idea about the padding - thanks - I will do that. I definitely do not play my drums when neighbors are home. :lol:

I wonder this myself. I recently moved to a townhouse-style place attached to other units. It is not the sound, but the vibration of the compressor that concerns me as it is significant,
I don't have an HBOT but I've lived in townhouses for 25 years. If you don't have anyone above or below you and you don't have the unit up against your neighbor's wall, I doubt anyone would notice the vibration. As for the sound, not sure how loud it is, but it can't be worse than a vacuum cleaner or a stereo played at moderate volume, can it?

May be unit on the pad may reduce the noise from floor vibration perspective.

Not really, it should help her recover and heal faster.
Fantastic, thanks Gaby! Tommy at Oxyrevo said the same thing.

I haven't used my unit much yet, but it's not very loud, maybe similar to a window air conditioner unit or a large dehumidifier. I used a decibel meter on my phone and it says 70 decibels standing next to the machines with all of them turned on. I recorded a video for you to give you some idea of the sound level.

I also found a sound chart that might help give you some idea of the sound level at 70 dB:
1704210883381.png

According to that its about as loud as a loud radio. I'd say that's about right.

I recieved my unit about 6 weeks ago and just got it running this past week. Everything was very VERY well packed and arrived in pristine condition, I was very impressed with how they packed it. My O2 compressor didn't power on initially and I suspected a wire was jarred lose during shipping, Tommy was very responsive and talked me through removing the outer covering and sure enough, one of the wires on the power inlet was loose from shipping. It took ~5 minutes to fix. My initial impressions are all very positive, the build quality seems excellent, customer service with Tommy has been excellent and the unit was shipped very securly which is great to know when you make a big investment. Oh it also arrived at my house in less than a week, I was very impressed with that also, I've had shipments from US sellers take longer. Thanks for the recommendation @Joe!

I had my Macy Pan chamber break about one month ago. The seal on the back window came undone:

1704553697187.png

Thankfully, it did not come undone suddenly while in the chamber. I just got in one day and it just didn't inflate at all. I guess that the seal came apart very slowly over time and I just never realized that the chamber was inflating slower and slower. The last couple of times I was in the chamber, the pressure never reached 1.5atm but stabilized around 1.3atm. I assumed that it was just a gauge issue and wasn't concerned at the time. Turns out it was just leaking to much air through the broken seal!

I sent the above photo to Macy Pan and they came back and said that this was a very rare issue. I sincerely hope that is the case. They did offer to replace the chamber for free despite being out of warranty (1 year after purchase) as long as I covered the $300 in shipping.

Had a couple of competency issues with my bank (electronic signature invalidated, then they sent me an expired wire form) that lasted two weeks to resolve. After a week's delay in shipping due to the holidays my new chamber came in two days ago and is working perfectly well!

I think it is a good call out to pay attention to your chamber's performance. If it is not inflating as it used to, inflate the tube while not in it and listen for air leaks not coming out of the 1.5atm vents at the end of the chamber.

I got the final boxes of my Macy Pan sitting version about 2 months ago. I just brought it down to my bedroom on the ground floor and have recently unpacked it. Seeing all the dials and tubes etc just seems so daunting and no manual came with it that I could find so far. MacyPan sent one over then via Whatsapp.
Still I don't feel competent enough, on what could be a dangerous mistake, to try to assemble it myself.

My friend said she would send her son over after the weekend to see if he can help me. I have me ankle operation scheduled for this Wednesday so will need it working asap after that. I have to keep it taking all my space in the bedroom as will be in a wheelchair for a long while so cannot get upstairs where I have a dedicated room for it.

Also as I have so many pets there are always pets hairs everywhere, plus they sleep in my bedroom with me. So is this going to be a problem for the machine?
I had already thrown the boxes away when Macy told me to take photos of any damage. There were some holes in the boxes so I pray that nothing is badly damaged that I didn't see unpacking/

I don't think I saw anything for using as a mask like others have either.
The units sure are very heavy. Luckily I will be housebound so plenty of time to sort things out.
The seat padding looks quite firm but comfortable for sitting long periods though.

Can anyone advise me what I should beware of or specially aware of when assembling it? Am total novice on technical medical equipment. Thanks. x

Back
Top Bottom