Home PC protection

beau said:
As far as I can tell, mark IS a reader that is interested in this subject. What makes you think otherwsie? Also, it seems you avoided all the points that mark raised in his latest reply. Instead, you post the above, which is really like saying "I'm avoiding what you are saying and will only listen to other people."
I just wanted to offer an alternative for computer security issues. As experienced Linux user I got emotionally invested in the topic, and I'm sorry for that. Apologies to everyone.

Color said:
I checked FAT32 file system, and since my OP is Windows XP professional (as I forgot to give that fact earlier, sorry everyone) I found that there are some "Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP" (_http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463) and it's too complicated terminology for my knowledge at the moment, to understand correctly if that makes it too complicated for me to use it, or is it just some standard stuff?
For a standard PC setup, you can ignore this limitations. I am intentionally running XP on FAT32.

To clarify, I am suggesting FAT32 only because it gives you flexibility when you have a damaged OS and want to read your data from a MS Startdisk or Linux Kernel. This method is certainly somewhat outdated and needs some knowledge to work.

New internal/external harddrives are usually shipped with NTFS file system. In "emergencies" you can simply plug your harddrive into another functioning computer to have access to your files. This works also with NTFS as far as I know. But I would try it if you want to be sure.

While FAT32 is plain and open, NTFS has the ability for setting file permissions. If privacy is of concern to you, you might want to consider that and read up on the subject. "Knowledge protects".

Color said:
As I mentioned before, lots of my BU DVDs didn't wanna work either, no idea why, so I'm making 3 copies of everything at the moment, and that is simply ridiculous, so I'll buy external drive ;-)
A tip: If you want to create archive CDs/DVDs for long-term storage, burn them at the lowest possible speed. Hereby you allow the CD/DVD writer to do it's job more accurately (the signal-to-noise ratio SNR on the medium is increased).

Another tip: I once made the mistake exposing my burned DVDs to sunlight. What I learned was that the sun is stronger than the burning laser... They were erased!

Data said:
While FAT32 is plain and open, NTFS has the ability for setting file permissions. If privacy is of concern to you, you might want to consider that and read up on the subject. "Knowledge protects".
OK, something new to learn :) thank you

Data said:
A tip: If you want to create archive CDs/DVDs for long-term storage, burn them at the lowest possible speed. Hereby you allow the CD/DVD writer to do it's job more accurately (the signal-to-noise ratio SNR on the medium is increased).

Another tip: I once made the mistake exposing my burned DVDs to sunlight. What I learned was that the sun is stronger than the burning laser... They were erased!
The first one, low speed burning I've learned only few months ago,
and was surprised how never heard of it before, it would solve many troubles.
As for the second tip, I think my DVDs were maybe to close to the radiator and that might of caused the damage...
Well, that's what I was suspecting of, not sure if it really influent it, like the sunlight, as you mentioned above....

Thank you, all this is very helpful :)

FAT32 File System = max filesize is 4GB and tends to fragment* a bit more then NTFS.

*defrag could be used.

Color said:
So, I hope all this will help me to maintain my data and to protect myself in the best possible way.
For future consideration, if you ever have to start over (wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows), you can choose to create two separate partitions for the hard drive. One can be for the OS, and the other for your data, so that if one partition gets corrupted you don't lose everything and can just wipe that particular partition instead of having to delete everything.

Also, it would be better to change your file system to NTFS. Establishing file permissions can help if other people use the computer and like Grim wrote, it tends to need to defrag less. You can always change your file system, if you wish. The steps to do this are (there are many different ways) to right-click the My Computer icon, select Manage. Then select Disk Managemment. You should see a list on the right of all the volumes on the hard drive, along with attributes such as file system, status, and capacity. You can right-click the letter, typically it is (C: ), and select format. This will allow you to choose NTFS as your file system. It shouldn't take long to re-format the drive.

The main reason for the switch to NTFS is that it really is a more powerful and reliable file system than FAT.

beau said:
Also, it would be better to change your file system to NTFS. Establishing file permissions can help if other people use the computer and like Grim wrote, it tends to need to defrag less. You can always change your file system, if you wish. The steps to do this are (there are many different ways) to right-click the My Computer icon, select Manage. Then select Disk Managemment. You should see a list on the right of all the volumes on the hard drive, along with attributes such as file system, status, and capacity. You can right-click the letter, typically it is (C: ), and select format. This will allow you to choose NTFS as your file system. It shouldn't take long to re-format the drive.

The main reason for the switch to NTFS is that it really is a more powerful and reliable file system than FAT.
OK, a question: Can I do it like right now? It will not ask for windows re-installation or some other drastic step?
Should I wait to buy a BU drive tomorrow and then do it, after the BU is done,
or is it ok to switch to NTFS right away?

Thank you

You can do it before or after the back up. Whatever your preference is. Just close memory sucking applications like Firefox or iTunes first. That will speed up the reformatting process. Don't worry, it won't ask for anything else when switching to NTFS.

beau said:
You can do it before or after the back up. Whatever your preference is. Just close memory sucking applications like Firefox or iTunes first. That will speed up the reformatting process. Don't worry, it won't ask for anything else when switching to NTFS.
huh, sorry, one more question, I just want to be sure I won't make a mess out of ignorance..
is there any way my personal firewalls (sunbelt) or spybot program will interfere with this process?
should I turn them off until it's done?

Sorry for so many questions, it just occurred to me it may be connected somehow, maybe, so to be sure...
Thanx :)

No, they won't interfere. They essentially operate in the background without using a lot of memory or CPU. Though you can stop those processes, disconnect from the internet, and then start everything back up after switching to NTFS. By doing that, you are basically in Safe Mode, which is the best "place" to do things like reformatting or defrag. But it is not required that you do such things.

Color said:
But I'll go with an external drive as a BU option, for sure.
As I mentioned before, lots of my BU DVDs didn't wanna work either,
no idea why, so I'm making 3 copies of everything at the moment,
and that is simply ridiculous, so I'll buy external drive ;-)
The recorder write laser/mechanism wears out eventually or can be faulty in the first place. Check for firmware updates for your recorder, see the manufacturers website. Firmware also effects how well the recorder burns to different brands of media. Avoid cheap media. The best brand is Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim as a second choice. To be safe, record no more than 8x for DVD recordable media. Make sure you verify your backups, check your backup software settings for this.

Color said:
Beside my worries of losing data there's also a big issue of me worrying
my privacy could be violated, and not just from some random hacker,
but in a way of one person reading my private stuff and documents,
which could then be used against me, within my circle of friends,
as twisted upside down and adding some things I never said/ment,
to get a totally new meaning and direction, as it was done before in the past,
from that one person which was going through my things and my PC.
Windows XP Professional lets you encrypt ( password protect ) folders. See, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308989

XP Home edition does not allow encryption or for a more flexiable alternative use TrueCrypt. http://www.truecrypt.org/

Here are steps on creating a strong password for logins and encryption, _http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/create.mspx

yamez said:
Windows XP Professional lets you encrypt ( password protect ) folders. See, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308989

XP Home edition does not allow encryption or for a more flexiable alternative use TrueCrypt. http://www.truecrypt.org/

Here are steps on creating a strong password for logins and encryption, _http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/create.mspx
Those were not Data's quotes, you were quoting my post ;)
Ok, to be clear, I am not worried about a person physically present around my home PC,
not anymore, but about him trying to hack it online. So, do those encrypts refer to that also,
or is it just for limiting the acces of a persons using my PC, like physically sitting in front of it,
cause that's only me, no one else is using it. I hope U understand my question, I've complicated it
in missing the right expression for terms of PC access :/

And... is that the same thing which was discuses before, within this thread,
while talking about creating 2 accounts, one being for online use only?

Thank you

Apart from anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall programs, I'd recommend an anti-keylogger program such as SnoopFree Privacy Shield. It prevents any rogue program that gets past the anti-spyware from recording your keyboard activities and screens.

Color said:
Ok, to be clear, I am not worried about a person physically present around my home PC,
not anymore, but about him trying to hack it online. So, do those encrypts refer to that also,
or is it just for limiting the acces of a persons using my PC, like physically sitting in front of it,
cause that's only me, no one else is using it. I hope U understand my question, I've complicated it
in missing the right expression for terms of PC access :/

And... is that the same thing which was discuses before, within this thread,
while talking about creating 2 accounts, one being for online use only?

Thank you
I understand. Running as a limited user reduces your chance of hijack from online. Please read the links I gave before. Encryption, in the example I gave before, protects physically. Linux distributions make you run as a limited user by default, hence the major reason for their security. I may get in trouble for that one since its not so simplistic.

I stuffed up the quotes, sorry... :)

Back
Top Bottom