Home PC protection

Color said:
I believe it was concerning the fact that an operating system, by itself,
doesn't give you any extra protection against viruses and hacking and the rest...
Or Ubunutu has it all covered so well that one needs nothing else?
I've just looked at it's official site but I don't see anything mentioning all that,
I can't find it, so how about a link?
Can you give me more details on what you were claiming?
Linux gives you exactly that (because people that are healing their's frustrations by harrasing other people's computers are not very interesting in non-dominant OSes and plus Linux is way more secure in any sense).

Yes, you don't need extra bunch closed source dubious software taking your time and nerves.

There is no need to mention "all that", because community that develops this distribution doesn't sell it and they are not interested in commercial promotion gibberish.

I reccomend this distribution: _www.kubuntu.org

I can't give you more details what linux is as much I can't give you idea how it is to ride a bike or bungee jumping. Experience is always a best learning mode. Cheers !

observer said:
Linux gives you exactly that (because people that are healing their's frustrations by harrasing other people's computers are not very interesting in non-dominant OSes and plus Linux is way more secure in any sense).
How much is "way more secure"?

observer said:
Yes, you don't need extra bunch closed source dubious software taking your time and nerves.
Acctually I don't find those softwares (mentioned above in my post) dubious, and I didn't mind taking a time to install them
and learn about them, cause there are some detailed explanations about how it actually works and what it does.
My nerves are fine ;-)

observer said:
There is no need to mention "all that", because community that develops this distribution doesn't sell it and they are not interested in commercial promotion gibberish.
If something is free it doesn't make it better simply because of that fact.
We all know that. I find free effort of all those people creating it a very noble thing to do,
but it still doesn't effect my knowledge about the quality of it all...

observer said:
I can't give you more details what linux is as much I can't give you idea how it is to ride a bike or bungee jumping. Experience is always a best learning mode. Cheers !
We seem to have a misunderstanding here,
I never asked you to give me any details on how does it FEEL like to have and to work on that operating system,
I was simply asking you to provide me with some links which are offering the information about those features of Ubunutu,
since I'm not a kind of a person which jumps of the bridge because someone said it "needs to be experienced",
I'll take that claim and note it and then will ask for some more details about the whole thing, like...
- What are the possibilities and facts of what may happen to me after I "take a jump"?

And I really don't see a reason why such a quality operating system wouldn't have a detail list
of what it does and some explanations about it and facts. That's all...
So.. I am not claiming it CAN'T do all of that what you claim it can,
I just can't find any details, informations about, that it CAN.

HUh... This actually made me more tired than all the installing and learning about different security softwares, I did today...

I suggest you investigate background and emergeance of Micro$oft and Linux and then make a conclusion. Ok, enough of "feeding the moon" for me today. Cheers !

Color said:
HUh... This actually made me more tired than all the installing and learning about different security softwares, I did today...
Fascinating how that works, isn't it? Observer, why do you seem to be rather emotionally invested in this topic? Just wondering.

anart said:
Fascinating how that works, isn't it? Observer, why do you seem to be rather emotionally invested in this topic? Just wondering.
How what work exactly?

Beacuse keeping my mouth shut and not sharing what I know is contradicting basic principles of this networking.

Ok, this is really getting crazy and has NOTHING to do with the thread I started...
I don't know how to respond to all this. So I'll shut up.

Color said:
Ok, this is really getting crazy and has NOTHING to do with the thread I started...
I don't know how to respond to all this. So I'll shut up.
It's not getting crazy at all. What do you see as crazy about it? I simply asked Observer why he/she seemed to be so emotionally invested in his/her suggestions in this thread, and he/she replied in an even more emotional manner (indicating my question was not entirely off base).

This is interesting, certainly, but not crazy. Do you and Observer know each other in 'real life'? Not that there is a problem with that, and you probably don't, but just wondering.

anart said:
This is interesting, certainly, but not crazy. Do you and Observer know each other in 'real life'? Not that there is a problem with that, and you probably don't, but just wondering.
Well, now U made me wonder also, but I can't think of any person I know to be of any concideration of acting like this,
or, the ones who could act-are not able to understand and write such a good English, or to find this site,
since it's not a circle of their interests (as far as what I know about them)...
So, my last answer is NO. But I must say I was happy to see someone from Croatia on the forum,
I've noticed it today, within this thread, altough now did some research and found out
I actually answered one of Observer's previous post, few days ago...

And, when I said crazy, I was talking about very unpleasant feeling I got
from Observer's answer to your question... And comment it as stopping it.

Color said:
And, when I said crazy, I was talking about very unpleasant feeling I got
from Observer's answer to your question... And comment it as stopping it.
Same unpleasant feeling here, and it is interesting to notice that you are trying to dicredit my responses in two topics till now.

So, here is some disclosure: I live near Karlovac, Croatia. I'm 26 and psychology graduate. I'm into ICT (kind of hobby) and have better SNR ratio or FVR profile than most people I've met in life. I consider myself a happy person to "incidentaly" find out about C's and this community. Laura's life work boosted my soul development and awarness noticeably.

Color, your comment for stopping "it" seemed to me like emotional attempt to influence moderators in order to santcion me. Why do I feel that?

I don't think it's unusual for people who are interested in open-source OS's/software to be emotionally invested in their choice. FWIW, I saw observer's post as a probably well-meaning (although fairly unconscious) attempt to provide an alternative. I say unconscious because I have noticed a tendency in people (including myself) who are IT-savvy and non-Windows users to simply say "Get rid of Windows" in response to any kind of Windows-related IT security questions (even if the statement is made in positive terms such as "Try Linux - it's better").

Now, that's not to say that getting rid of Windows wouldn't provide a big security boost in itself ;) , but for many users, Linux is simply not an option due to their user requirements. It's likely that observer did not really consider this and made a bit of a "knee-jerk" reaction, but I don't really find that to be too strange or even that interesting. And I tend to agree with his/her observation that Color's comment was an emotional attempt to influence Anne's perspective - to get her "on side", as it were. I don't think there's enough data in this case to make the hypothesis that observer's comments were anything but what they were presented as.

As an aside, I find the whole open-source/proprietary software discussion quite interesting as a case study in the microcosm for the creative/entropic macrocosmic dynamic. I found this recent interview with a Linux kernel developer to be quite a fascinating read as an example of how the open-source bigwigs seem to be "vectored" away from real desktop/user-level improvements that could make Linux a serious competitor on the desktop (which is where it needs to be to seriously challenge Windows).

Fact is though, Linux is light-years away from Mac OS X in the usability stakes, so if people are going to switch from Windows, I think it's likely they'd go there first - keeping them in the "proprietary" software net in order to continue fueling the engines of pathological capitalism (...says Ryan who is posting this via Firefox on his Mac PowerBook ;) ).

I think Observer should stop wasting time listening to overactive emotional center and instead be a bit more constructive and offer his/her language skills to Croatian translating group.
it may also help to subdue feelings of self importance.

We are all in the same boat guys, so lets at least try to paddle in same direction ;)

observer said:
....and it is interesting to notice that you are trying to dicredit my responses in two topics till now...
hahaha, very "interesting observation".... well, I tried to get few details from you, for your claims here.
what a strange direction for me to take....

observer said:
Color, your comment for stopping "it" seemed to me like emotional attempt to influence moderators in order to santcion me. Why do I feel that?
It "seemed" to you wrong. I actually wished to 'stop' THIS. Cause it had nothing to do with a PC thread.
And still doesn't.

Thank you Ryan for spreading some light on the issue. Mac OS is at least Unix based :)

Deckard said:
I think Observer should stop wasting time listening to overactive emotional center and instead be a bit more constructive and offer his/her language skills to Croatian translating group.
I will contact you for translation project.

Deckard said:
it may also help to subdue feelings of self importance.
I'm not sure how advising someone about open-source community OS security strenghts have anything to do with self importance.

As for Windows vs. Linux virus security issue I reccomend this article: _http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

Review on user-friendlines of Ubuntu: _http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=367

Cheers!

now I wasn't referring to that, accusing color of trying to undermine you was self importance overdrive
nothing to be ashamed of as we all suffer from self importance which buffers out negative introject, but at least we are here so we can work on it

re translations if you are keen send me your email on zedjey_gmail.com

and welcome to the forum btw :)

observer said:
I'm not sure how advising someone about open-source community OS security strenghts have anything to do with self importance.
Perhaps it's time for you to read up on self-importance. It had nothing to do with the topic you were discussing - it has to do with how you discuss it and how you react to being even gently challenged. There is an enormous amount of information on self-importance on this forum and its associated web pages - so time to do some reading and get up to speed. =)

Back
Top Bottom