Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

seek10 said:
If this gallery of natural phenomenon is useful ( this will be from main stream sources, hopefully this won't create problem), I can take that.

It looks the website " The Gallery of Natural Phenomena" is created by a guy called CHRISTOPHER CHATFIELD and he has some books to his credit.

_http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/1432952-prodigies#author-bookshelf

I tried to compile the information on the web page to structured data with some manual formatting and organizing. It looks it can be done. Here is the excel format format for dark ages. If you don't have excel download libreoffice, it is available free online and open the excel file.

There are around 400 data points in dark ages alone from around 100 sources (30% are from journals etc). If we add up to 1800 AD, it will be nearly 2000 data points from around 500 unique sources. Accuracy of the data is not checked.

Please take a look at it. If this data looks good, I can convert it into the format the History database application needs with event_type etc.

I am thinking about How to enter the data into History database easily.

If you think it is viable to use "insert into" statements I can provide them and then we need to address some practical stuff like how sequence generator to be inserted, order of loading stuff into tables (like source first etc), getting GPS data,load it on my machine and do lookup etc.

Other options are I will give the spreadsheet and data or some body can load it in the back end or we all can insert the data manually ,though it can be little slow.

Some questions after looking at the history database

1. what will be source_author( and next 4 fields) for the entries from The Gallery of Natural Phenomena (GNP) : Will it be GNP or the source he is quoting. His sources contains many books and magazines.

fields from data's data entry screen
source_author
source_title
source_volume
source_page
source_publisher
source_published_at
source_derived_from
source_author_ancient
source_floruit_from_year
source_floruit_from_AD
source_floruit_to_year
source_floruit_to_AD
source_validity
source_quote

2. If the source has multiple books, which one we should put it ?.- I can put put one source in the regular Source fields and all else in "Other notes" field.
3. If he puts '?' or 'doubtful' etc , can I put accuracy as 50%.?

Attachments

• gnp_da_data.xls
    217 KB · Views: 9

Interesting developments in this thread. I wanted to point out that in Laura's Reply #124, it was very convincing about the areas in orange in the map actually being areas of total destruction - highly likely. But then, I noticed that Corsica is all blue, while Sardinia is all orange, and the strangest of all, Elba - a TINY island - is blue. Some thoughts about this: a) the destruction took a very strange "route" and skipped over certain vulnerable areas; b) the claim that the orange areas were under Byzantine control is partially true and other areas were destroyed completely; c) those with the agenda to cover up the destruction made it so that it's harder to uncover by making vulnerable areas designated as under Lombard control (blue) when they were not (could have been desolated).

Of course, it can be a combination of differing degrees of all of the above - they're not necessarily mutually exclusive. Just some possible guesses that came to mind. The one thing we are certain about is that Rome was buried in tens of meters of mud/silt/sea sediment, right?

Reading Spelman's translation of The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius is very interesting. I finished Spelman's preface and started reading the preface of Dionysius. This translation was published in 1758 - before the American OR the French revolutions. I'm looking forward to getting into the history itself which ends before the First Punic War.

I'll log in and look at the Database Form page to just peruse what's been added and get acquainted a bit with the new developments.

SeekinTruth said:
I got the scanned PDF version of The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassensis Translated into English; with Notes and Dissertations by Edward Spelman, Esq. Vol. I (LONDON Printed, and sold by Booksellers of London and Westminster MDCCLVIII) from _archive.org. It is a John Adams Library, In The Custody of the Boston Public Library copy scan. It's 524 pages total (including a black cover and blank pages, etc.)

I'm going to read the Preface shortly. Then I'll read and enter any relevant data as I go along, unless someone thinks there's a better translation of it.

I just found out that this Roman Antiquities has served as a template for Antiquities of the Jews by Flavius Josephus:

http://www.livius.org/jo-jz/josephus/josephus.htm#Antiquities said:
The twenty volumes of the Jewish Antiquities, in which Flavius Josephus explains Jewish history to a non-Jewish audience, appeared in 94. Its model is a book by the Greek historian Dionysius of Halicarnassus, who wrote twenty books of Roman Antiquities.

Always nice to know, I think.

Shijing said:
Palinurus, I have a copy of The Complete Works of Josephus if you need a hand with that at any point. I'm going to stop by the library in the next couple of days to pick up some more.

Thanks for the heads up, Shijing. That's a comforting idea, but I don't think as of yet that I will need any help; my task is relatively light weight compared to what others have taken upon themselves and I expect I can manage mine. I'll keep it in mind though.

So I definitively have taken Flavius Josephus to work through and I'll need a log on for the other site at some point in order to upload entries.

Eboard10 said:
- Can I include multiple locations in one entry separating them with a comma?

No. Can you give an example where this would be needed? You also can add a comment for locations.

Eboard10 said:
- I don't have a page number but I can give a chapter number, where can I add it?

Into the "page" field. You can prefix it with "chapter".

seek10 said:
Other options are I will give the spreadsheet and data or some body can load it in the back end or we all can insert the data manually ,though it can be little slow.

If we have a suitable CSV file I can import it.

seek10 said:
1. what will be source_author( and next 4 fields) for the entries from The Gallery of Natural Phenomena (GNP) : Will it be GNP or the source he is quoting. His sources contains many books and magazines.

GNP. I've explained usage of the fields earlier.

seek10 said:
I can put put one source in the regular Source fields and all else in "Other notes" field.

Yes.

Data said:
Eboard10 said:
- Can I include multiple locations in one entry separating them with a comma?

No. Can you give an example where this would be needed? You also can add a comment for locations.

"The bandits roamed over all Gaul and Spain, attacking the largest cities; a few of these they burned, but the rest they abandoned after sacking them."

Data said:
Eboard10 said:
- I don't have a page number but I can give a chapter number, where can I add it?

Into the "page" field. You can prefix it with "chapter".

Ok so I can add the word chapter in the box along with the number?

Laura said:
Zadig, excellent job!

On the 955 event from the Saxon history, I read:

(46)
As a consequence of this defeat, there was great panic, and Saxony was filled with fear for the king and his army. Moreover some unusual portents terrified our people. Churches in a number of places were struck by a fierce tempest, which filled those who were watching and listening with great horror, and clergy of both sexes perished from lightening bolts. Many other horrible things happened at this time, or are said to have done, but because of this [that these may only be rumour] we shall omit them.

You should probably also include the "defeat", whatever it was as a separate entry.

Also, this storm description is puzzling. It's almost like targeted destruction is being described and there were "observers" who were not affected ... so that's kinda not like a normal storm. It seems more like a tornado... by why "in a number of places"? Also, the lightning bolts... I wonder if those were actually "thunderbolts" or flaming stones of some sort?

I've added some more sub-categories to try to cover things that may come up but nothing quite seems to fit this business here. I mean, was it celestial or environmental? A real "storm" with lightning, or a "tempest" in some other sense? Or a tornado? Or series of tornadoes?

This is where trying to find out what the original words that were translated as "tempest" and "lightning" would be handy.

Then we have a riddle. The book Cometography linked by Zadig has a note on a comet seen in 955 (p.164-165), screenshot attached. But then, they go and suggest it must have been Halley's Comet in 989 because there was an dating error of 6 years. Well, maybe yes, maybe not. [edit: that's about 995, not 955]

The book "The Battle of Lechfeld and Its Aftermath, August 955" mentions several times Widekunst's reports on the unusual storm, as quoted above and a bit more, but assigns it eventually to pretty normal though not very common weather conditions. Nevertheless, on page 9 they start the chapter "The Tears of St Lawrence" with this:

"On 10 August 955 planet Earth passed through the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet and a shower of cosmic debris streamed through the atmosphere for several days thereafter. Since this celestial event had been occuring every year in mid-August for millennia, ecclesiastics, well versed in such matters, surely accepted it. [...]"

Book: http://books.google.fr/books?id=0XBtVwukIogC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=saxony+955+AD+storm&source=bl&ots=Jn_CYoI7xK&sig=xGWK6OucqpereHsTmgkrBHX9gzM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rVkCU5PNFKSH0AWBmYCwDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=saxony%20955%20AD%20storm&f=false

Then, there is an interesting paper "Cloudy and clear stratospheres before A.D. 1000 inferred from
written sources" (worth a look!) that mentions that dating error as well. Listed here:
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/st02300a.html (PDF here)

On 955 there are two entries:

2.15. A.D. 934
[27] A dry fog is strongly indicated by a day-long red
appearance of the Sun over Germany and Ireland
[Stothers, 1998]. Schove [1984] has noted four other
mentions of the red Sun in very late European chronicles,
all of which have referred the event to the reign of Lothair
II (931 –950) in Italy. The assigned dates in these
chronicles range from 937 to 963, but these are undoubtedly
errors for 934
, the date implied, somewhat approximately,
by our main source, the contemporary chronicler
Widukind of Corvey in Saxony. The volcano Eldgja´ in
Iceland erupted around this time, probably starting during
the summer months. Greenland ice cores place the eruption
date somewhere in the interval 934–938 [Hammer et
al., 1980; Herron, 1982; Hammer, 1984; Johnsen et al.,
1992; Zielinski et al., 1994, 1995; Zielinski, 1995; Clausen
et al., 1997]. Although northern tree ring signals around
this date are sparse [D’Arrigo et al., 2001], the documentary
evidence is abundant and quite explicit about the
atmospheric cooling (see also the contemporary Persian
chronicler Hamza al-Isfahani, Annals 10.7, Gottwaldt).
Climatic and historic evidence together tie the starting
date to 934. The eruption itself was of fissure type and
was apparently drawn out over several years [Thordarson
et al., 2001].

3.2.26. 4 September A.D. 955
[65] The Moon turned blood-colored (Fleury chronicler,
History of the Franks, Bouquet, 8, 299; Annals of Fleury,
Bouquet, 8, 254).

Attachments

• Comet AD 955.jpg
    Comet AD 955.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 205

Data said:
seek10 said:
If we have a suitable CSV file I can import it.
The information itself contains comma's and quote's. Is it fine if I give '~' delimited or some other delimited file ?. I guess you expect one row per each record ( all the fields in the screen - top to bottom, left to right ) . Again same source can be there in multiple places. Please suggest.

Possibility of Being, in your Reply #215 above, I think there's a mix up with the years 955 and 995, right? The dating error of 6 years you mention them suggesting is concerning 989 Halley's Comet vs. 995 (that would be 6 years) and the screenshot you attached is showing entries for 995 too.

Eboard10 said:
Ok so I can add the word chapter in the box along with the number?

Yes.

seek10 said:
The information itself contains comma's and quote's. Is it fine if I give '~' delimited or some other delimited file ?. I guess you expect one row per each record ( all the fields in the screen - top to bottom, left to right ) . Again same source can be there in multiple places. Please suggest.

Delimit columns with the # character, no text delimiter, 1 row per record, all the fields in the screen, put column headers so that I know which is which. It is okay when serveral records have the same source, but if you have several sources per record, add the other sources into the notes field.

SeekinTruth said:
Possibility of Being, in your Reply #215 above, I think there's a mix up with the years 955 and 995, right? The dating error of 6 years you mention them suggesting is concerning 989 Halley's Comet vs. 995 (that would be 6 years) and the screenshot you attached is showing entries for 995 too.

Oops, you're right. :-[ Going to edit my post.

The coincidence of the exact day, August 10, in both cases tricked me.

Greek Enforcers and the Nordic Covenant

I've been looking at the Gregory of Tours Issue some more as I continue through "History of the Langobards." I've given up the idea that Paul could have been involved in the GoT fraud. The History of the Langobards is a huge fraud in itself.

I did some checking this morning and, as far as I can see, the first person to cite Gregory appears to be Bede.

Gregory oT: 30 November c. 538 – 17 November 594

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded England, they drove the native Celtic inhabitants north into Scotland and west into Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall.

{There is no evidence for an invasion, but there were many anglo-saxons living in England who had formerly been auxiliaries of the Roman army. Plus, with the destruction we assume happened in the 6th century, it wasn't a question of "driving out the inhabitants" - most of them died in the conflagrations or from the pestilence. The anglo-saxons probably survived the epidemic better because of their high-meat diet.}

The Anglo-Saxons were subsequently converted to Christianity by Celtic missionaries from the north and west, and Roman and Gallic missionaries from the south and east. As a result, they ended up with two different "flavors" of Christianity. The difference was expressed mainly in the form of a disagreement about the proper method for calculating the date of Easter, a disagreement which we may suspect was a stand-in for other disagreements a little more difficult to articulate. In 663, a council was called to settle the dispute, the Synod of Whitby. It decided in favor of the Roman or continental way of doing things.

The Synod of Whitby was a seventh-century Northumbrian synod where King Oswiu of Northumbria ruled that his kingdom would calculate Easter and observe the monastic tonsure according to the customs of Rome, rather than the customs practised by Iona and its satellite institutions. The synod was summoned in 664 at Saint Hilda's double monastery of Streonshalh (Streanæshalch), later called Whitby Abbey.

In 667, the see of Canterbury became vacant. Wighard, the man chosen to fill the post, had been sent to Pope Vitalian by Ecgberht, king of Kent, and Oswiu, king of Northumbria, for consecration as archbishop. He died "unexpectedly" and Theodore, a Greek monk, was consecrated as archbishop and sent to England.

We divert here to look at:

Benedict Biscop c. 628 – 690: Anglo-Saxon abbot and founder of Monkwearmouth-Jarrow Priory (where he also founded the famous library).

Benedict was born of a noble Northumbrian family and was for a time a thegn of King Oswiu. At the age of 25 Benedict made the first of five trips to Rome, accompanying his friend Saint Wilfrid the Elder. However Wilfrid was detained in Lyon en route. Benedict completed the journey on his own and, when he returned to England, he was "full of fervour and enthusiasm ... for the good of the English Church."

Benedict made a second journey to Rome twelve years later, this time accompanied by Alchfrith of Deira, a son of King Oswiu. On this trip he met Acca and Wilfrid. On his return journey to England Benedict stopped at Lérins, a monastic island off the Mediterranean coast of Provence. During his two-year stay there, from 665 to 667, he underwent a course of instruction, taking monastic vows and the name of "Benedict".

Following the two years in Lérins, Benedict made his third trip to Rome. At this time he was commissioned by the pope to accompany Archbishop Theodore of Tarsus back to Canterbury in 669.

In 682 Benedict appointed Eosterwine as his coadjutor and the King was so delighted at the success of St Peter's, he gave him more land in Jarrow and urged him to build a second monastery. Benedict erected a sister foundation (St Paul) at Jarrow. He appointed Ceolfrid as the superior, who left Wearmouth with 20 monks to start the foundation in Jarrow. Bede, one of Benedict's pupils, tells us that he brought builders and glass-workers from Francia to erect the buildings in stone.

Benedict's idea was to build a model monastery for England, sharing his knowledge of the experience of the Church in Europe. It was the first ecclesiastical building in Britain to be built in stone, and the use of glass was a novelty for many in 7th-century England. It eventually possessed what was a large library for the time – several hundred volumes – and it was here that Benedict's student Bede wrote his famous works. The library became world-famous and manuscripts that had been copied there became prized possessions throughout Europe,[9] including especially the Codex Amiatinus, the earliest surviving manuscript of the complete Bible in the Latin Vulgate version.

Notice that Benedict was a "thegn of Oswiu".

The term thegn (or thane or thayn in Shakespearean English), from OE þegn, ðegn "servant, attendant, retainer," "one who serves" is commonly used to describe either an aristocratic retainer of a king or nobleman in Anglo-Saxon England, or as a class term, the majority of the aristocracy below the ranks of ealdormen and high-reeves. It is also the term for an early medieval Scandinavian class of retainers.

So, here's Oswiu:

Oswiu (c. 612 – 15 February 670), also known as Oswy or Oswig (Old English: Ōswīg), was a King of Bernicia. His father, Æthelfrith of Bernicia, was killed in battle, fighting against Rædwald, King of the East Angles and Edwin of Deira at the River Idle in 616. Along with his brothers and their supporters, Oswiu was then exiled until Edwin's death in 633....

Oswiu's mother may have been Æthelfrith's only recorded wife, Acha of Deira, Edwin's sister, but the apparent unwillingness of the Deirans to have him as their king may argue against this. ...

Æthelfrith ruled over both Bernicia and Deira. His authority ran from the lands of the Picts and the Dál Riata in modern Scotland to Wales and the Midlands in the south.[3] Æthelfrith's power rested on his military success, and this success came to an end in 616, when the exiled Edwin of Deira, with the support of King Rædwald, defeated and killed him in battle by the River Idle.[4]

On Æthelfrith's death, his sons and their supporters fled Northumbria, finding sanctuary among the Gaels and Picts of northern Britain and Ireland. Here they would remain until Edwin's death at the Battle of Hatfield Chase in 633.

In exile, the sons of Æthelfrith were converted to Christianity, or raised as Christians. In Oswiu's case, he became an exile at the age of four, and cannot have returned to Northumbria until aged twenty-one, spending childhood and adolescence in a Gaelic milieu. Bede writes that Oswiu was fluent in the Old Irish language and Irish in his faith....

Oswiu held to the Christian faith in spite of his brother's defeat by the pagan Penda. This may have been due to his more thoroughly Christian upbringing, but the influence of Bishop Aidan of Lindisfarne, by then a major figure in Bernicia, could also have been significant.

Bede summarises Oswiu's reign in this way:
Oswald being translated to the heavenly kingdom, his brother Oswy, a young man of about thirty years of age, succeeded him on the throne of his earthly kingdom, and held it twenty-eight years with much trouble, being harassed by the pagan king, Penda, and by the pagan nation of the Mercians, that had slain his brother, as also by his son Alfred [i.e. Ealhfrith], and by his cousin-german Ethelwald [i.e. Œthelwald of Deira], the son of his brother who reigned before him....

In 664 at the synod of Whitby, Oswiu accepted the usages of the Roman Church, which led to the departure of Bishop Colman of Lindisfarne. The reasons of the gathering, and its significance, have been closely studied, and the simplistic explanations offered by Bede, and by Eddius, the biographer of Wilfrid, are no longer accepted.

Bede writes that the dispute was brought to a head by Oswiu's son Eahlfrith, who had adopted Roman usages at the urging of Wilfrid. Eahlfrith had been brought up with Irish-Northumbrian usages, and his rejection of these, along with the expulsion of the future saints Cuthbert of Lindisfarne and Eata of Hexham from Ripon, is considered to have had a strong political component....

Even in his final years, Oswiu remained a major figure in Britain. The newly appointed Archbishop of Canterbury, Theodore of Tarsus, came north to meet with him in 669. Bede writes that Oswiu had intended to undertake a pilgrimage to Rome in the company of Bishop Wilfrid. However, he fell ill and died...

Oswy was a collector of Holy Relics, for example Pope Vitalian sent filings from Saint Peter's chains to Oswy in the seventh century.

We turn to:

Theodore, archbishop of Canterbury: 601 -690
A greek monk from Tarsus in Cilicia. Studied at Antioch and Constantinople. Arrived in England in 669. In the biblical commentaries written in England, Theodore quotes verbatim and in extenso from large number of books in Greek and Latin which he must have brought with him. Based on things he reveals in his writings, he studied astronomy, ecclesiastical computus, astrology, medicine, Roman civil law, Greek rhetoric and philosophy, and the use of the horoscope. At some time before the 660s, Theodore had travelled west to Rome, where he lived with a community of Eastern monks, probably at the monastery of St. Anastasius. At this time, in addition to his already profound Greek intellectual inheritance, he became learned in Latin literature, both sacred and secular.

Theodore and his pal Hadrian established a school where the taught both Greek and Latin. Pupils from the school at Canterbury were sent out as Benedictine abbots in southern England, disseminating the curriculum of Theodore.

Not a single one of the books that must have been in the possession of Theodore can be identified among surviving manuscripts. The Canterbury library vanished completely.

However, it is very likely that Theodore was familiar with, or even had copies of, the work of Procopius, the Syriac chronicles, John of Edessa, John Malalas, and others of that time.

It is also undoubted that all of these men were fully aware of the events of the previous century during the reign of Justinian and they made a deliberate and conscious decision to "re-write history" for their own purposes. They needed Christianity for control, and they needed to distance Christianity from the catastrophes. In the following passage from one of the upcoming volumes of Secret History I recall that damning statement of Procopius:

Of all the things written by Procopius in SECRET HISTORY, quoted above, the following short extract encapsulates the point I would like to make in this brief section:

That Justinian was not a man, but a demon, as I have said, in human form, one might prove by considering the enormity of the evils he brought upon mankind. For in the monstrousness of his actions the power of a fiend is manifest.

Such were the things done to all mankind by the demon in flesh for which Justinian, as Emperor, was responsible. But what evils he wrought against men by some hidden power and diabolic force I shall now relate.

In these two sentence, Procopius separates the actions of Justinian, the “demon in flesh” from those things that he could not possibly have done himself, as a man of flesh, but which Procopius is suggesting were due to some “hidden power, diabolical force” that somehow, gained access to the world by virtue of the fact that Justinian was the ruler - or due to Christianity itself. The next sentence makes this absolutely clear:

During his rule over the Romans, many disasters of various kinds occurred: which some said were due to the presence and artifices of the Devil, and others considered were effected by the Divinity, Who, disgusted with the Roman Empire, had turned away from it and given the country up to the Old One….

To make sure that there is no misunderstanding, Procopius gives examples of what he means:
… Antioch… Seleucia… Anazarbus… Ibora… Amasea…Polybotus…Lychnidus …Corinth… All of these were destroyed by earthquakes during this time, with a loss of almost all their inhabitants. And then came the plague, which I have previously mentioned, killing half at least of those who had survived the earthquakes. To so many men came their doom, when Justinian first came to direct the Roman state and later possessed the throne of autocracy.

Procopius is saying explicitly that the earth and its people suffered BECAUSE Justinian was in power and not just because of the things he did directly to harm others. Did Procopius actually believe this or was he, as has been suggested, just turning the Christianity of Justinian back on itself?

It is true that in all his other writings he is supremely rational and doesn’t appear to be overly religious in any way either inclined toward Christianity or Paganism. What is also true is that he used the ancient pagan models of literature freely; he wrote THE WARS in the style of Herodotus and Thucydides. Was he making his book an “imitation” of classical histories as a means of conveying a message? It’s possible. Procopius also mixes some statements of apparent Christian piety with obviously pagan reflections on fortune. That tends to be confusing. However, he did write in Chapter 11 of SECRET HISTORY:

A similar law was then passed against the Samaritans, which threw Palestine into an indescribable turmoil. Those, indeed, who lived in my own Caesarea and in the other cities, deciding it silly to suffer harsh treatment over a ridiculous trifle of dogma, took the name of Christians in exchange for the one they had borne before, by which precaution they were able to avoid the perils of the new law.

Here he is describing himself, as a native of Caesarea and implying that he took the name of "Christian" to avoid the perils of the law. So, did he believe one way or another? I don’t think we can answer that question definitively, but we can say with some confidence, based on his accurate descriptions of certain psychopathologies, that Procopius was so completely baffled by what he saw in Justinian and in the world around him that it may have almost “made a believer” out of him, but a believer in the idea that Christianity was an overpowering evil. This is not an uncommon reaction to individuals who are forced by some situation, to really observe and consider the behavior of the personality disordered; it can really make you think that the only explanation for such behavior is that it is demonic possession! Having taken that step, it isn’t far to go to engage in some nonsensical religious belief system that purports to account for “demons”. Since the gods and goddesses of the pagans had both benevolent and destructive characteristics, it wasn’t necessary to designate any single force as “demonic”. Yet, what Procopius recorded about the disasters that came during the reign of Justinian we again face that explicit remark:
…some {Christians} said were due to the presence and artifices of the Devil, and others {Pagans} considered were effected by the Divinity, Who, disgusted with the Roman Empire, had turned away from it and given the country up to the Old One {the evil god of the Christians}…

That is a Christian oriented statement: “The Divinity” and “The Old One.” As has been said, this seems to support the idea that Procopius was turning Justinian’s Christianity back on him, he wasn’t falling into a belief in demons. But still, it is obvious that Procopius was troubled by the apparent synchronicity of the rule of so bizarre an individual as Justinian with the climatic, geological, and atmospheric phenomena of the time.

Justinian, had his mind made up from the beginning and followed a single-minded plan to stamp out anything that did not conform to what HE had determined to be the right way, the ONLY way. And when things continued to deteriorate, instead of questioning himself at all, he saw it as some hidden fault of the people that he was going to root out and destroy. This, I believe, is the element that was so poisonous to human society and even, I venture to suggest, to the planet itself. When an individual such as Justinian rises to power, it is not that unusual: pathology always seeks power over others. But when such an individual is not overthrown, it seems to be evidence of a pathological state spreading throughout the body social and politic much as a cancer takes hold in a weakened human body, invading, spreading, and destroying what is normal. Kaldellis writes:

History seemed to accelerate during Justinian’s reign, and many believed that the result was chaos and upheaval. Few emperors had started so many wars or tried to enforce cultural and religious uniformity with such zeal. There had been despots before, but few, or none, had made despotism a matter of legal principle. This is important, for Justinian was anything but unprincipled. Few rulers had ever been as eager to provide ideological justification for their policies. In his edicts Justinian buttressed everything from his wars to the regulation of the price of vegetables with divine authority. He was constantly musing about how his reign fit into God’s plan and expected total ideological conformity from all writers linked to the court. In the words of one legal historian, Justinian was “conscious of living in the age of Justinian.” […]

The SECRET HISTORY, finished around 551 but never published by its author, who feared for his life, contains a vicious attack on Justinian and every aspect of his regime. Its tendency to exaggerate rhetorically cannot be denied, but its basis in fact has not been successfully impugned. The SECRET HISTORY shatters the façade of consensus and benevolence presented by Justinian and his spokesmen by confirming the worst that cynics can imagine about the motives and behavior of emperors and their officials.

Did Procopius suggest any solutions or remedies for such a tyrant as Justinian? Anthony Kaldellis believes that he did and that the hidden messages are incorporated into the text of THE WARS: there is only one way to deal with a tyrant: assassination. He points out that one of the ways to discuss conspiracies against tyrannical regimes during times when the regime itself does not tolerate criticism, is to discuss past conspiracies in general, historical terms, including why they failed or succeeded. Such a discussion of past conspiracies can be a disguised manual for future ones. Since such accounts of assassination conspiracies take up a lot of the text of THE WARS, and are described in greater detail than any other kind of event, Kaldellis suggests that this communicates the subtext of what Procopius was saying to certain of his readers: those who “understood the message by way of the many classical allusions.” If that is the case – and Kaldellis makes a solid argument for it – then it means that Procopius was deliberately writing in code from the beginning and this gives us a whole different perspective on the works of Procopius.

Paying close attention to the descriptions of natural disasters that Procopius lists at the end of SECRET HISTORY where is made the suggestion that God was disgusted with the reign of Justinian, we notice the short list of cities said to have been totally destroyed during that 38 year reign:

… Antioch… Seleucia… Anazarbus… Ibora… Amasea…Polybotus…Lychnidus …Corinth…

… and then says:

All of these were destroyed by earthquakes during this time, with a loss of almost all their inhabitants. And then came the plague…

We have already looked at the work of NASA’s John Lewis who thinks that the Great Antioch Earthquake was actually an overhead cometary explosion based on the descriptions. If that was the case, the grouping of these particular “earthquakes” together might mean that they were all of the same type: overhead cometary explosions of the extremely destructive Tunguska kind.

Ward-Perkins notes that “bubonic plague” reached the Mediterranean “from Egypt” in 541 during the reign of Justinian and spread through the Roman world. He sees this as playing only a subsidiary role. It was, according to him, a “personal tragedy” for many people, and something of a demographic blow, but still, not one of the major reasons Rome ceased to exist. I think he has completely underestimated what was really going on. As he discusses extensively himself, at a certain point in time, material sophistication disappeared from the Western Roman Empire. The middle and lower markets (that is, the people who were the consumers), almost entirely disappeared. All sophistication in the production and trade of pottery disappeared from the whole of Britain and large areas of coastal Spain. Pottery was no longer being made on wheels, and there was nothing aesthetic about what little was being produced during this time. It is as though all the skilled potters just packed up and left – or they all died.

In the north of Italy, some wheel-turned pots continued to be made for awhile, but decorated tableware almost entirely disappeared (one suspects that any finds were of previously made items that continued in use for awhile) and the range of items reduced to only a few basic shapes. By the 7th century, the only vessel being used in northern Italy was a primitive, roundish cooking pot.

Interestingly, this collapse was not total everywhere; some pockets survived for a time. There were factories in North Africa that continued to make and export (to some extent), tableware throughout the 5th, 6th, and into the 7th centuries, but the number of items exported, and their distribution range shrank dramatically as though there was no one to buy their wares. Only a few sites on the coasts and Rome, itself, continued to use such items which may indicate that these were pockets of survival with death all around. Rome continued to import amphorae and medieval glazed wares were developed there, but it is clear that Rome was something of an island of survival. Moreover, even the quantities produced for the Roman population significantly declined probably because the population itself declined. Based on current evidence, during the 6th and 7th centuries, good quality products were only available to the elite and what had once been widely diffused amongst the entirety of the population, had become luxury items. The lands north of Rome itself, reveal this fact in the lack of any significant finds dating to those times.

Some regional potters in a few scattered areas continued to produce wares on the continent, such as in southern Italy and the Rhineland. But these were not high-quality products; in fact, the decline in quality is said to be startling. And, once again, the middle and lower markets (determined by the character of where remains are found), had wholly disappeared. More disturbing than even the decline in quality and variety of goods is the evidence that quantity fell drastically. That is to say, the numbers of consumers obviously were no longer there.

Every one of the building crafts that the Romans had introduced into Britain disappeared completely in the 5th century. There is no evidence for any quarrying continuing, no manufacturing of tiles or bricks, and any new buildings of that period are primitive, made of wood, roofed with thatch. It wasn’t until the end of the 7th century that a peripatetic abbot introduced builders from Gaul so as to be able to build churches “in the Roman manner”. Glaziers were described as “crastmen as yet unknown in Britain.” The surviving structures that were built as a result of this enterprise were small and primitive by earlier Roman standards. This was, essentially, the reintroduction of building skills that had disappeared from Britain for almost three hundred years!

The decline in building technology was not as drastic in the Mediterranean region, though indeed, the drastic reduction in quantity was again evident. And again, domestic structures were built of perishable material, as though the technical know-how to build things from brick or stone had been lost. Stone and brick houses with tile roofs and drains, underfloor heating, mosaic floors, disappeared and wooden huts with thatched roofs replaced them. Even the elite suffered this reduction in style and quality of residences. Archaeologists have tried, but failed, to find any continuity of the impressive architecture that was a feature of the Roman period. It just stopped happening all over the Western Empire.

A greatly limited continuation of stone/brick and mortar construction did survive in Italy and a few other places, and appears to have been used only for churches, but the size and ambition of these projects was miniscule compared to the still standing buildings of the period of Empire. Furthermore, as far as the archaeologists can tell, this work was based on used bricks and stones scavenged from already-existing structures; none of it was newly quarried or fired. It was almost a thousand years before roof tiles again became as widely available as they had been in Roman times. Early medieval floors were no longer the stone and tiles of the Romans, but basically just pounded dirt.

Another item that disappeared was coinage. Coins were widely used for commercial transactions in the days of the Empire and many have been found in archaeological digs up through the 4th century. By the beginning of the 5th century, coins reaching Britain was were rare events. In the Mediterranean, this cessation of making and using coins was a bit less sudden and less total, but it was still evident and profound. Bryan Ward-Perkins comments on the evidence as follows:

What we observe at the end of the Roman world is not a ‘recession’ or – to use a term that has recently been suggested – an ‘abatement’, with an essentially similar economy continuing to work at a reduced pace. Instead what we see is a remarkable qualitative change, with the disappearance of entire industries and commercial networks. The economy of the post-Roman West is not that of the fourth century reduced in scale, but a very different and far less sophisticated entity.

This is at its starkest and most obvious in Britain. A number of basic skills disappeared entirely during the fifth century, to be reintroduced only centuries later. … All over Britain the art of making pottery on a wheel disappeared in the early fifth century, and was not reintroduced for almost 300 years.
Ward-Perkins points out that items that were once widespread became rare and precious and only for the elite survivors in Britain as evidenced by the Sutton Hoo burial which contained silver and copper dishes from the eastern Mediterranean, and other treasures, some from the continent and others certainly made in Britan and displaying high levels of craftsmanship. Beautiful things were still being made in tiny numbers and isolated places, traded, gifted, and traveling over long distances, but it was rare or these items were survivals from a former time. A pottery bottle found in the Sutton Hoo burial was, at that time, a high-status item. But in Roman times, the same types of bottles were found even in rural peasant dwellings.

So, let me say it again: The population that created and sustained a massive and vigorous economy had all but disappeared entirely.

So, the catastrophe had to be covered up, the church and the elites had to distance themselves from it.

The people that Benedict Biscop, a member of the "Nordic Covenant" hung out with:

Alhfrith or Ealhfrith was a son of King Oswiu of Northumbria and Rieinmelth of Rheged. In around 655 Alhfrith was appointed by his father as sub-king of Deira, the southern part of the Northumbrian kingdom. He replaced his cousin Æthelwold, who had supported Oswiu's enemy Penda of Mercia in the campaign leading up to the Battle of the Winwaed. Alhfrith was married to Penda's daughter Cyneburh; Cyneburh's brother Peada was doubly Alhfrith's brother-in-law as he later married Alhfrith's sister Ealhflæd.

At the Synod of Whitby in 664, Alhfrith was the chief supporter of Wilfrid. Bede, in the Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum (Book III, chapter 14), states that Alhfrith attacked his father. No further details are known. Bede's Lives of the Abbots states that Alhfrith asked his father for permission to accompany Benedict Biscop on a pilgrimage to Rome, but the dating of this request is unclear. With this, Alhfrith disappears from the record.

Wilfrid (originally spelled Wilfrith; c. 633 – c. 709) was an English bishop and saint. Born a Northumbrian noble, he entered religious life as a teenager and studied at Lindisfarne, at Canterbury, in Gaul, and at Rome; he returned to Northumbria in about 660, and became the abbot of a newly founded monastery at Ripon. In 664 Wilfrid acted as spokesman for the Roman position at the Synod of Whitby, and became famous for his speech advocating that the Roman method for calculating the date of Easter should be adopted. His success prompted the king's son, Alhfrith, to appoint him Bishop of Northumbria. Wilfrid chose to be consecrated in Gaul because of the lack of what he considered to be validly consecrated bishops in England at that time. During Wilfrid's absence Alhfrith seems to have led an unsuccessful revolt against his father, Oswiu, leaving a question mark over Wilfrid's appointment as bishop. Before Wilfrid's return Oswiu had appointed Ceadda in his place, resulting in Wilfrid's retirement to Ripon for a few years following his arrival back in Northumbria.

After becoming Archbishop of Canterbury in 668, Theodore of Tarsus resolved the situation by deposing Ceadda and restoring Wilfrid as the Bishop of Northumbria.

However his diocese was very large, and Theodore wished to reform the English Church, a process which included breaking up some of the larger dioceses into smaller ones. When Wilfrid quarrelled with Ecgfrith, the Northumbrian king, Theodore took the opportunity to implement his reforms despite Wilfrid's objections. After Ecgfrith expelled him from York, Wilfrid travelled to Rome to appeal to the papacy. Pope Agatho ruled in Wilfrid's favour, but Ecgfrith refused to honour the papal decree and instead imprisoned Wilfrid on his return to Northumbria before exiling him.

Wilfrid spent the next few years in Selsey, where he founded an episcopal see and converted the pagan inhabitants of the Kingdom of Sussex to Christianity. Theodore and Wilfrid settled their differences, and Theodore urged the new Northumbrian king, Aldfrith, to allow Wilfrid's return. Aldfrith agreed to do so, but in 691 he expelled Wilfrid again. Wilfrid went to Mercia, where he helped missionaries and acted as bishop for the Mercian king. Wilfrid appealed to the papacy about his expulsion in 700, and the pope ordered that an English council should be held to decide the issue. This council, held at Austerfield in 702, attempted to confiscate all of Wilfrid's possessions, and so Wilfrid travelled to Rome to appeal against the decision. His opponents in Northumbria excommunicated him, but the papacy upheld Wilfrid's side, and he regained possession of Ripon and Hexham, his Northumbrian monasteries. Wilfrid died in 709 or 710. After his death, he was venerated as a saint.

Historians then and now have been divided over Wilfrid. His followers commissioned Stephen of Ripon to write a Vita Sancti Wilfrithi (or Life of Wilfrid) shortly after his death, and the medieval historian Bede also wrote extensively about him. Wilfrid lived ostentatiously, and travelled with a large retinue. He ruled a large number of monasteries, and claimed to be the first Englishman to introduce the Rule of Saint Benedict into English monasteries. Some modern historians see him mainly as a champion of Roman customs against the customs of the British and Irish churches, others as an advocate for monasticism.

So much for Wilfrid. Cue Eco's "The Name of the Rose."

Next:

Acca of Hexham (c. 660 – 740/742) was a Northumbrian saint and Bishop of Hexham from 709 until 732.

Born in Northumbria, Acca first served in the household of Bosa, the future Bishop of York, but later attached himself to Saint Wilfrid, possibly as early as 678, and accompanied him on his travels. Later he told his friend Bede of their stay at Utrecht with the saintly Archbishop Willibrord, Wilfrid's old pupil who was carrying on his work of converting continental heathens. ...

It was Acca who persuaded Stephen of Ripon (Eddius) to take on the Life of St. Wilfrid, and he lent many materials for the Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum to Bede, who dedicated several of his most important works, especially those dealing with Holy Scripture, to him. ...

For reasons now unknown Acca either withdrew, or was driven from, his diocese in 732. Hexham tradition says he became bishop of Whithorn in Galloway, Scotland, while others claim he founded a see on the site of St. Andrews, bringing with him relics collected on his Roman tour, including those of St. Andrew. Yet a third account states that having fallen out with the Northumbrian king, Acca went to live in exile in Ireland on a remote coast before returning to Hexham.

He was revered as a saint immediately after his death. The only surviving writing of Acca's is a letter addressed to Bede and printed in his works.

Next:

Eosterwine (or Easterwine) (650 – 7 March 686) was the second Anglo-Saxon Abbot of Wearmouth in Northumbria (England).

Eosterwine was the cousin of Saint Benedict Biscop. Descended from the noblest stock of Northumbria, as a young man he led the life of a soldier in the army of King Egfrid, the son of Oswy. When twenty-four years old he gave up the soldier's profession to become a monk in the monastery of Wearmouth, then ruled over by Saint Benedict Biscop. He was ordained priest in the year 679, and in 682 St. Benedict appointed him abbot of Wearmouth as coadjutor to himself....

In the year 686 a deadly pestilence overspread the country; it attacked the community at Wearmouth and the youthful abbot was one of its victims. He bade farewell to all, the day before he died, and died on 7 March, when only thirty-six years old. He was subsequently revered as a saint. Saint Benedict was absent in Rome at the time of his death and Sigfried was chosen by the monks as his successor. Eosterwine is not known to have been the author of any works.

Next:

Ecgfrith [ˈɛddʒˌfrIθ] (Old English: Ecgfrið; c. 645 – 20 May 685) was the King of Deira from 664 until 670, and then King of Northumbria from 670 until his death, succeeding his father Oswiu. He ruled over Northumbria when it was at the height of its power, but his reign ended with a disastrous defeat at the Battle of Nechtansmere in which he lost his life.

In 660, Oswiu forced Ecgfrith to marry Æthelthryth, a daughter of Anna of East Anglia. ...

Ecgfrith became king of Northumbria following his father's death on 15 February 670. Bede writes,
“In the year of our Lord 670, being the second year after Theodore arrived in England, Oswiu, king of the Northumbrians, fell sick, and died, in the fifty-eighth year of his age. He at that time bore so great affection to the Roman Apostolic usages, that he had designed, if he recovered from his sickness, to go to Rome, and there to end his days at the holy places, having asked Bishop Wilfrid, with a promise of no small gift of money, to conduct him on his journey. He died on the 15th of February, leaving his son Ecgfrith his successor.”

Upon becoming king of Northumbria, Ecgfrith put his brother Ælfwine on the throne of Deira.

Around the same time, Æthelthryth wished to leave Ecgfrith to become a nun. Bede writes,

“Though she lived with him twelve years, yet she preserved the glory of perfect virginity, as I was informed by Bishop Wilfrid, of blessed memory, of whom I inquired, because some questioned the truth thereof; and he told me that he was an undoubted witness to her virginity, forasmuch as Ecgfrith promised to give him many lands and much money if he could persuade the queen to consent to fulfil her marriage duty, for he knew the queen loved no man more than Wilfrid himself.”

Eventually, in about 672, Æthelthryth persuaded Ecgfrith to allow her to become a nun, and “she entered the monastery of the Abbess Æbbe, who was aunt to King Ecgfrith, at the place called the city of Coludi (Coldingham, Berwickshire), having received the veil of the religious habit from the hands of the aforesaid Bishop Wilfrid”.

A year later Æthelthryth became founding abbess of Ely. Stephen of Ripon states that

“While he (Ecgfrith) was on good terms with the bishop, as many will tell you, he enlarged his kingdom by many victories; but when they quarrelled and the queen separated from him to give herself to God, the king's triumphs ceased”.

Stephen implies that Ecgfrith divorced Æthelthryth after his victory over Wulfhere of Mercia in 674 (see below), but, evidently, they had divorced a couple of years before. At some point between 674 and 678 (when he expelled Wilfrid from his kingdom), Ecgfrith married again, to Eormenburg, of whom little is known.

...Ecgfrith appears to have been the earliest Northumbrian king, and perhaps the earliest of the Anglo-Saxon rulers, to have issued the silver penny, which became the mainstay of English coinage for centuries afterwards. Coins had been produced by the Anglo-Saxons since the late 6th century, modelled on the coins being produced by the Merovingians in Francia, but these were rare, the most common being gold scillingas (shillings) or thrymsas. Ecgfrith's pennies, also known as sceattas, were thick and cast in moulds, and were issued on a large scale.

Next:

Anna (or Onna; killed 653 or 654) was king of East Anglia from the early 640s until his death.

Anna was the son of Eni, a member of the ruling Wuffingas family, and nephew of Rædwald, king of the East Angles from 600 to 625.[4] East Anglia was an early and long-lived Anglo-Saxon kingdom in which a duality of a northern and a southern part existed, corresponding with the modern English counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. ...

Anna arranged an important diplomatic marriage between his daughter Seaxburh and Eorcenberht of Kent, cementing an alliance between the two kingdoms. It was by means of marriages such as this that the kings of Kent could become well-connected to other royal dynasties. Not all of Anna's daughters were married into other royal families. During the 640s Anna's daughter Æthelburg and his stepdaughter Sæthryth entered Faremoutiers Abbey in Gaul to live religious lives under abbess Fara. The first royal Anglo-Saxons to become nuns, they made religious seclusion "an acceptable and desirable vocation for ex-queens and royal princesses", according to Barbara Yorke....

Bede praised Anna's piety in his Ecclesiastical History of the English People, and modern historians have since regarded Anna as a devout king, but his reputation as a devoted Christian is mainly because he produced a son and four daughters who were all made into Anglo-Saxon saints.

Next:

Pope Agatho (died 10 January 681) was Pope from 26 June 678 to his death in 681. He is venerated as a saint by both Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. Little is known of Agatho before his papacy....

The major event of his pontificate was the Sixth Ecumenical Council (680–681), which suppressed the Monothelite heresy that had been tolerated by previous popes (Honorius among them). The council began when Emperor Constantine IV, wanting to heal the schism that separated the two sides, wrote to Pope Donus suggesting a conference on the matter, but Donus was dead by the time the letter arrived. Agatho was quick to seize the olive branch offered by the Emperor. ...

Patriarch George of Constantinople accepted Agatho's letter, as did most of the bishops present. The council proclaimed the existence of the two wills in Christ and condemned Monothelitism, with Pope Honorius being included in the condemnation. When the council ended in September 681 the decrees were sent to the Pope, but Agatho had died in January. ...

Agatho also undertook negotiations between the Holy See and Constantine IV concerning the relations of the Byzantine Court to papal elections. Constantine promised Agatho to abolish or reduce the tax that the popes had had to pay to the imperial treasury on their consecration.

Now, we come back to Bede, who is the first that I can find who quoted Gregory of Tours.

Bede: 672/673 – 26 May 735 - Bede was 18 when Theodore AND Benedict Biscop died. I would say that our most likely culprits for concocting the History of the Franks would be Theodore and Benedict or someone associated with them.

I would be interested if anyone can find the FIRST citation of GoT among any continental writers. I'll post next about how Paul the Deacon used GoT and "embellished" a bit and what an interesting job he did of covering up the catastrophes and blaming them on marauding Goths, Langobards, Franks, Huns, and whoever else.

You now can sort the main list by attributes, when you click the first time it's ascending, when you click the second time it's descending.

This quote from Procopius:
A similar law was then passed against the Samaritans, which threw Palestine into an indescribable turmoil. Those, indeed, who lived in my own Caesarea and in the other cities, deciding it silly to suffer harsh treatment over a ridiculous trifle of dogma, took the name of Christians in exchange for the one they had borne before, by which precaution they were able to avoid the perils of the new law.
is interesting because maybe it could be related to the formulation of Islam (or a proto-Islam) and make it possible for the Arab conquests a generation later over ruined cities all over southern Byzantium.

About now, I'm completely disgusted with the "History of the Langobards." Even so, there are a few interesting things there.

He starts out with his history pretty much ripping off Jordanes "Origins of the Goths" as well as Procopius; "Gothic War". He also borrows from Pliny's "Natural History", Herodotus and Gregory of Tours, to create his story. Nothing is datable thus far. What's more, none of the factual data such as that included in Tacitus' "Germania" appear in Paul's "History of the Langobards".

Mommsen suggests that "It may be that these Langobard and Gothic traditions are both fragments of a great legend of the origin of the whole German people or that the Gothic story-teller has stirred the Langobard to the making of similar fables."

The difference is that Jordanes produces a genealogy that goes back fourteen generations that comes close to covering the time he claims elapsed. Paul only give FIVE generations back before the time of Odoacar, the contemporary of Theodoric and Clovis. At best, that would only go back to the time of Constantine. However, since we suspect that the time of Constantine was a period of environmental disruption (Constantine's Comet and more), perhaps there is a seed of veracity under the pile of nonsense Paul the Deacon writes? Paul's stories contradict one another so often that it is difficult to make head or tails of it. If his generations are correct, the migration from Scandinavia was about 320 AD. However, it is known that the Langobards were living South of the Baltic at the end of the 1st century BC. Then, he has a king, Angelmund who, according to his narrative, must be living around 350 AD, who gets killed in a battle with Bulgarians who didn't appear in Europe until 479!

Factually, the Langobards were found in Pannonia in the year 166 at the time of the Marcommanic war with Marcus Aurelius. After that, information from Greek or Roman writers as to the fortunes of the Langobards is entirely lacking for a period of 300 years.

But that doesn't stop Paul. Only in chapter XIX does anything begin to remotely resemble facts and even there, it is iffy. BUT, you can tell that he grabbing stuff from other chronicles and weaving it into his "History of the Langobards".

One odd event that Paul recounts is of a battle between the Heroli and the Langobards. Paul writes:

While the army of the Heroli indeed was scattering hither and thither, so great was the anger of heaven upon them, that when they saw the green-growing flax of the fields, they thought it was water fit for swimming, and while they stretched out their arms as if to swim, they were cruelly smitten by the swords of the enemy.

Procopius, however, in his Gothic Wars II.14, tells a different story. He wrote that the sky above the Langobards was covered with black clouds, while above the Heroli it was clear, an omen which portended ruin to the Heroli, since the war god was in the storm cloud. The account of Procopius was contemporary. The place of the battle is uncertain, but the year is about 508.

Not long after this, the Langobards had a new king (really), named Waccho, though Paul even bungles the genealogy there. In the year 539 - within a few years of the Dust Veil event - it seems that Vitiges, the Ostrogoth, at war with Justinian's general, Belisarius, tried to get the Langobards to make an agreement but Waccho refused because he had already signed a treaty with the Byzantines. This is an interesting connection because Waccho also formed an alliance with Theudepert, king of the Franks which was sealed by Waccho's daughter being handed over for marriage to Theudepert. He gave another daughter to Cusupald, another "King of the Franks", but that apparently didn't work out so he gave her to one of his followers. Here we have a cross-reference with Gregory of Tours who gave information about this transaction, saying that the girl was repudiated by Cusupald because he was warned by the clergy of some ecclesiastical impediment to the marriage. I'll have to check GoT on that.

Paul says that Waccho's son, Waltari, was king for 7 years, from 539 to 546, just the period that interests us. Procopius informs us that Waltari died of a disease and his line ended with him.

Also in 539, Theudepert invaded Italy but "the dysentery swept away a third of his army." He retreated in the face of the Great Belisarius, but did not give up all the territory he had taken under control.

The next king of the Langobards, Audoin, "led the Langobards into Pannonia."

According to Procopius, Justinian had given Pannonia to the Langobards along with a lot of money. He was subsidizing them as allies. It was due to Justinian that Audoin married a Thuringian princess, the great-niece of Theoderic who had fled to Italy and was later brought to Justinian by Belisarius. So Justinian handed her off to Audoin.

At this point, Justinian agitated between the Gothic Gepidae and the Langobards to get them at each other's throats and a war ensues, probably 547/48. Paul's version of it is quite different from Procopius' but we don't need the details of the arguments back and forth between the peoples and all the conniving that Justinian was doing.

Theudepert died in 548.

Skip a bunch of stuff and we come to chapter XXV which is a panegyric to Justinian. What a great guy he was, warrior, Christian, legislator, deserving of all titles, builder of the greatest church in the world (Hagia Sophia); he was Catholic, upright, just and in him, "all things came together for good." He mentions that the time of Justinian was also the time of that great holy guy Cassiodorus and Dionysius Exiguus, Priscian and Arator. AND, in those same times, there was Benedict who started out in a place called Sublacus about 40 miles from Rome and then, for SOME REASON, Benedict just decided to head for the "stronghold of Cassinum," i.e. Monte Cassino. Paul tells us a story that Gregory did not relate in his life of Benedict (wink, wink) and that was that Benedict was traveling and had gotten about 50 miles from Sublacus and there were three ravens flying around him. At every crossroad, two angels appeared in the form of young men and showed him which way he ought to turn. When he got to Monte Cassino, Benedict went on a program of praying and fasting etc.

That whole story is suspicious. For example, WHY did Benedict take to the road in such a hurry that he obviously had no idea where he was going? And what about the ravens flying about, and the guiding angels, all reminiscent of catastrophe stories in the Bible? It sounds like he was fleeing from destruction. And then, when he arrived, he went on this self-torture binge that suggests that something, indeed, was going on and it is NOT being talked about in these texts in an open way.

Back to 533. Along comes Narses, Justinian's eunuch treasurer, chamberlain, general. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with battles and stuff and he finally drove the Ostrogoths from Italy. Then the Goths supposedly got some help from the Franks.

The Franks, led by the brothers Leutharis and Buccillinus, attempted to invade the recently reconquered lands. The Franks, led by the two brothers, were pursuing separate routes, but plundering the whole time.

For the next year or two, Narses crossed the countryside, reinstituting Byzantine rule and laying siege to towns that resisted. But as more and more Franks poured over the Alps, Narses regrouped in Rome, and once spring came, marched his army against them.

Skip battle details, upshot was: "The Franks were massacred and Agathias claimed that only five of them escaped from Narses that day. All three of Narses' major victories can be credited to his skillful use of combined tactics involving cavalry and archers to create and exploit disorder in his enemies."

From the Liber Pontificalis: "They (The Franks) in like manner wasted Italy. But with the help of the Lord they too were destroyed by Narses. And all Italy rejoiced."

"With the help of the Lord". Yeah. It seems that just when Leutharius headed off for home, pestilence broke out. Then Buccellinus was defeated by pestilence and Narses.

And of course, Paul got all this impossibly messed up.

For the next twelve years, it is thought that Narses stayed in and “set about to reorganize” Italy. Justinian sent Narses a series of new decrees known as "pragmatic sanctions". Many historians refer to Narses in this part of his career as an Exarch. Narses completed some restoration projects in Italy but was unable to return Rome to its former splendor, though he did repair many of the bridges into the city and rebuilt the city walls.

The last years of Narses' life are enveloped in mystery. Dealing with subsequent events, some historians believe Narses died in 567. Others assert that he died in 574.

Next a little panegyric for Narses and FINALLY, we get something interesting. Paul writes:

In the times of this man {Narses} a very great pestilence broke out, particularly in the province of Liguria.

For suddenly there appeared certain marks among the dwellings, doors, utensils, and clothes, which, if any one wished to wash away, became more and more apparent.

{This is an odd detail.}

After the lapse of a year indeed there began to appear in the groins of men and in other rather delicate places, a swelling of the glands, after the manner of a nut or a date, presently followed by an unbearable fever, so that upon the third day the man died. But if any one should pass over the third day he had a hope of living.

Everywhere there was grief and everywhere tears. For as common report had it that those who fled would avoid the plague, the dwellings were left deserted by their inhabitants, and the dogs only kept house.

{I expect that this was when Benedict and a whole slew of other elites were high-tailing it for their country retreats with their pals and praying like crazy.}

The flocks remained alone in the pastures with no shepherd at hand. You might see villas or fortified places lately filled with crowds of men, and on the next day, all had departed and everything was in utter silence.

Sons fled, leaving the corpses of their parents unburied; parents forgetful of their duty abandoned their children in raging fever. If by chance long-standing affection constrained any one to bury his near relative, he remained himself unburied, and while he was performing the funeral rites he perished; while he offered obsequies to the dead, his own corpse remained without obsequies.

You might see the world brought back to its ancient silence: no voice in the field; no whistling of shepherds; no lying in wait of wild beasts among the cattle; no harm to domestic fowls.

The crops, outliving the time of the harvest, awaited the reaper untouched; the vineyard with its fallen leaves and its shining grapes remained undisturbed while winter came on; a trumpet as of warriors resounded through the hours of the night and day; something like the murmur of an army was heard by many; there were no footsteps of passers by, no murderer was seen, yet the corpses of the dead were more than the eyes could discern; pastoral places had been turned into a sepulchre for men, and human habitations had become places of refuge for wild beasts. And these evils happened to the Romans only and within Italy alone, up to the boundaries of the nations of the Alamanni and the Bavarians. Meanwhile, the emperor Justinian departed from life.

Notice how he restricts the extent of the plague that we know was killing everyone everywhere though we certainly think that those people who ate meat primarily DID have some sort of immunity. As soon as he has finished inserting this obligatory passage about the well-known death and destruction of that time, he launches right off on the next detail: That Narses invited the Langobards to come in and take over Italy!

Therefore, greatly racked by hate and fear, he {Narses} withdrew to Neapolis (Naples), a city of Campania, and soon sent messengers to the nation of the Langobards, urging them to abandon the barren fields of Pannonia and come and take possession of Italy, teeming with every sort of riches.

... In Italy, terrible signs were continually seen at night, that is, fiery swords appeared in heaven gleaming with that blood which was afterwards shed.

Scholars think that the above refers to 566 AD.

So, the Langobards, under the leadership of Alboin, invited the Saxons to come along and then the Franks told the Suevi that they could have the old lands of the Saxons. Alboin invited the Huns to take over Pannonia. This was in 568 AD.

What is interesting is how, following his long passage about the death and destruction in Italy from the pestilence, Paul then goes on to describe a whole bunch of raiding and pillaging which probably did happen. There were probably very few people left, though, so it is doubtful that the barbarians "invaded and destroyed Italy." He points out in a funny way how picky the Langobards were about the territory they were claiming... they avoided the coasts!

So that is our gleaning from the History of the Langobards today.

Below are attached some before and after maps of settlements in and around Rome as uncovered by archaeology. That should give you some idea of the scale of the death and destruction:

Attachments

• Rome_before.jpg
    Rome_before.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 145
  • rome_after2.jpg
    rome_after2.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 141

Data said:
You now can sort the main list by attributes, when you click the first time it's ascending, when you click the second time it's descending.

'#' delimiter is good and sorting based on any field/s is fine. when you say main list, is it date fields ?. It make sense to have sorting on date fields. Any way I am going to attach the excel file, in case if you need to change the sorting order, you can ( you can change the delimiter setting in excel from default comma).

Back
Top Bottom