Hemp.

knowguy

The Force is Strong With This One
Since Laura and others have found that essential fatty acids are a great source of nutrition and that Fish Oil is suggested as the best source for omega's, What about Hemp? (Oil, Seeds, Powder) I have been led down the road and explained why Hemp is at the top of the pyramid when it comes to essential fatty acids and that it has the most optimal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3's. Can anyone help me figure out what is best or at least to give me a fair comparison between hemp oils and fish oils?

Thanks so much! :D

Hi Jesse,

Below are some links that might give you more info.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10713.msg76433#msg76433

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10573.msg77532#msg77532

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5882.msg42074#msg42074

Wow I never thought about actually searching the forums (noob) Thanks for those links! But I would still like a comparison between hemp oil and fish oil.... buts its probably something people have never thought about comparing.

Hi Jesse,

A quick internet search yielded many results for hemp. Try this link http://www.blackherbals.com/Blackherbals'_hemp_oil.htm. It offers some comparisons. Here's whats said about the seed.

Whole hemp seed contains approximately 20-25% protein, 20-30% carbohydrates and 10-15% insoluble fiber, as well as a rich array of minerals, particularly phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur and calcium, along with modest amounts of iron and zinc. The latter of which is an important enzyme co-factor of human fatty acid metabolism. It is also a good source of carotene, a "Vitamin A" precursor, and is a potentially important contributor of dietary fiber. A handful of seeds provides the minimum daily requirements of protein for adults. This is a high quality protein containing all eight essential amino acids in the correct proportions that humans need. In the entire plant kingdom, hemp seeds are second only to soybeans in their total protein content. But unlike soybeans, the proteins in hemp are easy to digest.

I've also read that hemp is at the top of the heap as far as EFA's go. I've got a big 5lb. bucket of hemp seeds. They're tasty. I just have to remember to eat them daily. :P

Distinction needs to be made between hemp seed oil and hemp oil, being the latter the most powerful.

Hemp oil is pressed from hemp seeds.

Some people call flax seed oil .... flax oil. Same thing. Flax oil is pressed from flax seeds.

Hope that helps.

Not to go too far off topic but since we're talking about seeds here, I just recently heard about the benefits of black seed. Also called black cumin seed I believe. I tried to do a search on the forum but came up empty. Does anyone know if it is as beneficial as various websites on the internet say it is?

Elizabeth said:
Hi Pete02

In response to your question about Black Cumin, I've just started a new thread with Black Cumin as the subject.

Here's the link to the new thread.

I thought hemp and flax too different kind of plant. :/

See in Wikipedia:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

Hemp
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about industrial hemp. For its psychoactive variant, see Cannabis (drug). For the biology of the plant, see Cannabis. For other uses, see Hemp (disambiguation).
The variety of appearances for cannabis. Only Sativa (left) is suited for industrial hemp, but it also has medicinal varieties.
Má, the Mandarin word for hemp. In China, the use of hemp has been shown to go back at least 10,000 years.

Hemp (from Old English hænep) is the name of the soft, durable fiber that is cultivated from plants of the Cannabis genus, cultivated only for industrial (non-drug) use.

In modern times, industrial hemp has been used for industrial purposes including paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, and fuel,[1] with modest commercial success.[2][3] In the past three years, commercial success of hemp food products has grown considerably.[4][5]

Hemp is one of the fastest growing biomasses known,[6] producing up to 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year,[7] and one of the earliest domesticated plants known.[8] For a crop, hemp is relatively environmentally friendly as it requires few pesticides[9] and no herbicides.[10]

And flax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

Flax
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Flax (disambiguation).
Flax
The flax plant
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Malpighiales
Family: Linaceae
Genus: Linum
Species: L. usitatissimum
Binomial name
Linum usitatissimum
Linnaeus.
Capsules

Flax (also known as common flax or linseed) (binomial name: Linum usitatissimum) is a member of the genus Linum in the family Linaceae. It is native to the region extending from the eastern Mediterranean to India and was probably first domesticated in the Fertile Crescent. This is called as Agasi/Akshi in Kannada, Jawas/Javas (जवस) or Alashi (अळशी) in Marathi.[1] Flax was extensively cultivated in ancient Egypt. Dyed flax fibers have been found in the Republic of Georgia in a prehistoric cave that date to 34,000 BC.[2][3] New Zealand flax is not related to flax, but was named after it as both plants are used to produce fibers.

Flax is an erect annual plant growing to 1.2 m (3 ft 11 in) tall, with slender stems. The leaves are glaucous green, slender lanceolate, 20–40 mm long and 3 mm broad. The flowers are pure pale blue, 15–25 mm diameter, with five petals; they can also be bright red. The fruit is a round, dry capsule 5–9 mm diameter, containing several glossy brown seeds shaped like an apple pip, 4–7 mm long.

In addition to referring to the plant itself, the word "flax" may refer to the unspun fibers of the flax plant.

Hi anothermagyar,

Lauranimal meant that the oil comes from the seed of the plant: hemp oil=hemp seed oil, and flax oil=flax seed oil.

However, the info on both plants is nice have, thanks!

A word of caution regarding flax and hemp oil. Heat destroys their beneficial properties, so don't cook with them.

Rabelais,
A word of caution regarding flax and hemp oil. Heat destroys their beneficial properties, so don't cook with them.

Is this true too of Coconut Oil? Are there any oils that are not degraded by heat?

Thanks

Parallax said:
Rabelais,

Is this true too of Coconut Oil? Are there any oils that are not degraded by heat?

Thanks

Coconut oil has a higher heat threshold as does grapeseed oil. Some oils can stand a certain amount of heat. But flax and hemp will go rancid if they are even left out of the refridgerator. It has to do with a process of oxidation. Extra virgin, organic coconut oil is the ideal. The only other oils I cook with are grapeseed, olive & sesame (at low heat).

Back
Top Bottom