Expressions

Eongar

Dagobah Resident
Hi,

I would like to open this little paragraph on certain expressions and words in English that do not understand very well in Spanish because native expressions are understood only in the U.S. or other countries. It is only to understand a little better.

I start: What exactly does the term "osit" and "lol"?

The expression used is also very "my two cents." This is easy to understand. It's like saying "this is my contribution" right? Thank you very much.

Me gustaría abrir este pequeño apartado sobre ciertas expresiones y palabras en inglés que no se entiendan muy bien en español por ser expresiones nativas que sólo se entienden en EEUU u otros países. Tan sólo es para entendernos un poco mejor.

Empiezo yo: Qué significa exactamente la expresión "osit" y "lol"?

La expresión también muy usada es "mis dos centavos". Esta es fácil de entender. Es como decir que " esta es mi aportación", verdad? Muchas gracias.

Álvaro said:
Hi,

I would like to open this little paragraph on certain expressions and words in English that do not understand very well in Spanish because native expressions are understood only in the U.S. or other countries. It is only to understand a little better.

I start: What exactly does the term "osit" and "lol"?

These are acronyms that stand for "or so I think" and "laughing out loud".

The expression used is also very "my two cents." This is easy to understand. It's like saying "this is my contribution" right? Thank you very much.

Correct!

From Approaching Infinity: Correct!
I thought i would look it up as well Approaching Infinity and see that if i understood the correct term as it was used and consulted Wikipedia. This also not an attemp to be rude for your postion Approaching Infinity, just (excuse the pun) my 2 cents worth.

My two cents (idiom)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Look up two cents in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

"My two cents" and its longer version "put my two cents in" is an American idiomatic expression, taken from the original British idiom expression: to put in "my two pennies worth" or "my tuppence worth." It used to preface the tentative stating of one’s opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow — suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount — the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. However, it is also sometimes used with irony when expressing a strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to preface uncontentious opinions.

For example: “If I may put my two cents in, that hat doesn't do you any favors." (More polite way of saying, for example: That hat is ugly.) An example of the shortened version: "My two cents is that you should sell that stock now."

There is some speculation as to the origin of the idiom. Some believe that the phrase originates in betting card games, such as poker. In these games, one must make a small bet, or ante, before beginning play. Thus, the phrase makes an analogy between entering the game and entering a conversation. However, there is no documentary evidence of this being the origin of the idiom and as such, is merely speculation. Other likely origins are that "my two pennies worth" is derived from the much older 16th Century British expression, "a penny for your thoughts". There is also some belief that the idiom may have its origins in the early cost of postage in Britain, the "twopenny post", where two pennies was the normal charge of sending a letter containing one's words and thoughts or feelings to someone.

"Two cents" and its variations may also be used in place of the noun "opinion" or the verb phrase "state [subject's] opinion", e.g., "You had to put your two cents in, didn't you?" or "But that’s just my two cents."

The phrase "If you don't put your two cents in, how can you get change?" encourages an expression of opinion. It makes a pun on the word "change". One meaning of change is an alteration — presumably to bring someone or something in agreement with an expressed opinion. Another meaning of change is the cash equivalent of an overpayment. Thus the reference to two cents is in accord with another idiom that values opinions at one cent (A Penny for Your Thoughts).

This expression is also often used at the end of a statement, e.g., “Just my two cents." In this usage, there are many variations that serve the same purpose, such as "Just my $0.02 worth" or “Just my 1/50th of a dollar."

A related expression is “Would you buy it for a quarter?", coined by C. M. Kornbluth in The Marching Morons, indicating that the thing in question isn't even worth 25¢.

And Again in Spanish:

Mis dos centavos (idioma)
De Wikipedia, la encyclopediaJump libre navegación, búsqueda
Mire para arriba dos centavos en Wiktionary, el diccionario libre.

"Mis dos centavos" y su versión más larga "poner mi granito de arena en" es una expresión idiomática de América, tomado de la expresión idioma inglés original: poner en "mis dos centavos vale la pena" o "mi valía dos peniques." Solía escribir el prólogo de la tentativa de afirmar la propia opinión. Al desaprobar el dictamen a seguir - lo que sugiere su valor es de sólo dos centavos, una cantidad muy pequeña - el usuario de la frase espera disminuir el impacto de una declaración posiblemente polémico, mostrando cortesía y humildad. Sin embargo, también se usa a veces con ironía al expresar una opinión muy sentido. La frase también se utiliza por costumbre escribir el prólogo de opiniones indiscutible.

Por ejemplo: "Si se me permite poner mis dos centavos en, ese sombrero no le hace ningún favor." (La manera más educada de decir, por ejemplo: Eso es feo sombrero.) Un ejemplo de la versión corta: "Mis dos centavos de dólar es que usted debe vender esa acción ahora ".

Hay una cierta especulación en cuanto al origen del lenguaje. Algunos creen que la frase se origina en las apuestas juegos de cartas, como el póquer. En estos juegos, se debe hacer una apuesta pequeña, o ante, antes de comenzar el juego. Así, la frase hace una analogía entre una entrada en el juego y entrar en una conversación. Sin embargo, no hay pruebas documentales de ello es el origen de la expresión y como tal, no es más que especulación. Otros orígenes probables son que "mis dos centavos vale la pena" se deriva de la expresión mucho más antiguo siglo 16 británico, "un penique por tus pensamientos". También existe la creencia de que el lenguaje puede tener sus orígenes en el costo inicial de gastos de envío en el Reino Unido, el puesto de "dos peniques", donde dos centavos era el precio normal de enviar una carta con palabras de una y los pensamientos o sentimientos a alguien.

"Dos centavos de dólar" y sus variantes también se puede utilizar en lugar del nombre "opinión" o la frase verbal "opinión asunto] [estado de", por ejemplo, "tenías que poner su granito de arena en el, ¿no?" o "Pero eso es sólo mi granito de arena".

La frase "Si usted no pone su granito de arena en, ¿cómo puede conseguir el cambio?" alienta una expresión de la opinión. Se hace un juego de palabras con la palabra "cambio". Uno de los significados del cambio es una alteración - presumiblemente para llevar a alguien o algo de acuerdo con una opinión expresada. Otro significado del cambio es el equivalente en efectivo de un pago en exceso. Así, la referencia a dos centavos de dólar está de acuerdo con otro idioma que los valores de opiniones en un ciento (un penique por tus pensamientos).

Esta expresión se utiliza a menudo en el final de una instrucción, por ejemplo, "Sólo mis dos centavos." En este uso, hay muchas variaciones que sirven el mismo propósito, tales como "Just my 0,02 dólares vale la pena" o "Just my 1 / 50 años de un dólar. "

Una expresión relacionada es "¿Compraría usted que durante un cuarto?", Acuñado por CM Kornbluth en marcha los imbéciles, lo que indica que la cosa en cuestión no es ni siquiera un valor de 25 ¢.

Back
Top Bottom