Difficulty swallowing pills

Bo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi guys,

this is something that has started around 3 or 4 months ago where I noticed I have some sort of resistance or difficulty in swallowing pills, for example I take a paracatamol it just sits on my tongue while the water gets swallowed and then the paracetamol dissolves on my tongue and I have to spit it out because of the taste.

Even today I took some magnesium citrate supplements, those big 400mg pills, and I just can't swallow them so I crushed them in my mouth and then swallowed it. I have never had this problem before and am wondering how to deal with this? I read some information online where people suggest to pull your head all the way back so that your face is facing the ceiling and then try swallowing a pill, but I shouldn't have that problem in the first place.

Do more of you have the same problem ? How did you solve it? How do you adapt to this problem? for me this is a new problem I have yet to figure out a working solution too instead of having to maximize focus in order to swallow a pill, I just wanna swallow a pill without stressing about it

I have it since my birth, we can say. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, so I prefer liquid form anyway, if it exists. Otherwise crush them in my mouth (it's often ugh!) if they don't want to pass.

What I do is place the pill in my mouth and then immediately take a drink of something with higher viscosity than water (orange juice, carrot juice, V8 etc.). Swish it all around in my mouth for a few seconds and then swallow. The swishing makes sure it is both lubricated and also starting to dissolve so it easily goes down.

Sometimes I get pills stuck in my mouth. I'd be careful about crushing vitamin C pills, because the acid will get on your teeth. Have you tried putting water in your mouth first and then the pill? That might work if it's only one pill.

Sometimes I get pills stuck in my mouth. I'd be careful about crushing vitamin C pills, because the acid will get on your teeth. Have you tried putting water in your mouth first and then the pill? That might work if it's only one pill.

I usually do pill first then water, but ill try the other way. If that doesn't work I'll mix it with orange juice like @rs suggested.

It sounds like a psychological thing.

My grandmother has always taken pills with food, rather than liquid. She’ll take a bite of toast and chew it for a bit, and then put the pill in her mouth and swallow it inside the food. You could try that.

My daughter has the same problem, and what she does is: She starts by eating some solid food, and after chewing it about 20 times, she inserts the pill into her mouth, so that it mixes with the food ready to swallow. By doing it this way, she has been able to swallow pills.

I hope this helps, Bo.

Hi guys,

this is something that has started around 3 or 4 months ago where I noticed I have some sort of resistance or difficulty in swallowing pills, for example I take a paracatamol it just sits on my tongue while the water gets swallowed and then the paracetamol dissolves on my tongue and I have to spit it out because of the taste.

Even today I took some magnesium citrate supplements, those big 400mg pills, and I just can't swallow them so I crushed them in my mouth and then swallowed it. I have never had this problem before and am wondering how to deal with this? I read some information online where people suggest to pull your head all the way back so that your face is facing the ceiling and then try swallowing a pill, but I shouldn't have that problem in the first place.

Do more of you have the same problem ? How did you solve it? How do you adapt to this problem? for me this is a new problem I have yet to figure out a working solution too instead of having to maximize focus in order to swallow a pill, I just wanna swallow a pill without stressing about it
Hi Bo,

A friend of mine lives in a hospital and she takes as many as 10 pills at once. I have often seen the nurses give her tablets mixed into a small tub of commercial pudding, such as butterscotch or chocolate. Normally my friend cannot swallow pills at all, but this food helps.

((I should say - food like substance - as the pudding is all chemicals)).

She spoons the the pudding / pill mixture into her mouth and swallows them down. Maybe you could find a healthier version of pudding, like rice or chia seed pudding. Good luck!

-Stella

Besides the tips you already received, i found these tips here as well. Hope that something will work for you, Bo!

- Pop bottle method: this method was designed by German researchers with the intention of helping people swallow dense tablets.
To swallow pills the “pop bottle” way, you’ll need a full water bottle with a narrow opening. Start by placing the pill on your tongue, then bring the water bottle to your mouth and close your lips around the opening. Use the pressure of the water bottle’s narrow opening to force water down your throat as you swallow. This technique improved the ease of swallowing pills for nearly 60 percent of people in one small study.

- The lean forward method (could be the very same one Z... described above, if so, apologies): start with your chin up and your shoulders back as you place the pill in your mouth, then take a medium-sized sip of water. Quickly (but carefully) tilt your head forward as you swallow. The idea is to move the pill back toward your throat as you tilt your head forward and give you something else to focus on as you swallow. This method improved swallowing for more than 88 percent of study participants in a small study.

J'ai souvent ce genre de problème... Merci à tous pour vos bons conseils...

I often have this kind of problem... Thank you all for your good advice...

Hi guys,

Do you have other associated symptoms?

Do you have other associated symptoms?

In those 2 months I had some problems with my muscles in my neck, back and shoulder. I woke up one day with tremendous pain in my neck, shoulder and upper back muscles, couldn't move properly for a couple of days, I think if I had to scale the pain it would have been a 9,5 on a scale of 1 tot 10, 10 being the worst imaginable(and I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance). But to be fair, those 2 months (june/july) felt more like a focused negative energy as a lot of bad things were happening all at the same time in a short time frame, not only to me but to my gf as well.

Thankfully around 95% of the muscle pain I have had is resolved and my environment has seemed to become stable again and whatever negative energy was moving around seems to have dissapated for the most part.

I took another 400mg of magnesium this time and this time I first chewed on a tiny bit of bread in my mouth mixed with water, before putting the pill on my tongue, it made the swallowing of it easier, will also try the other suggested tips and find the one that works the best for me. Thanks for all those tips btw!

Back
Top Bottom