Difficulty swallowing pills

It sounds like a psychological thing.

My grandmother has always taken pills with food, rather than liquid. She’ll take a bite of toast and chew it for a bit, and then put the pill in her mouth and swallow it inside the food. You could try that.
This is what I do and was going to write, but I knew someone would nail it by now.

I have a family member with this issue, must split even small pills in half, whereas I can easily pop 10 to 12 pills & capsules all in one go. Another alternative is to dissolve them in a (small) glass of water and drink? I have done this as an experiment. Two issues, though: taste can be horrifying; and avoid contact with teeth if anything acidic - in any case, have clean drinking water ready to flush the mouth directly afterwards.

Hi Bo, I don't know if you have tried this trick, but my son has an issue with swallowing pills. What works for him is to drink a couple of swallows of water first, then he puts the pill on his tongue and uses a straw to sip up the water and swallow. Found this seemingly little trick by experimenting. Works easily for him.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom