Diet Coke & Pepsi TASTE like Chemicals

moksha said:
but sometimes i end up having those sugar-free orange juices (in tetrapacks) due to laziness
Hi moksha, did you read the ingredients in those sugar-free orange juice? Sometimes the "sugar-free" thing hides the use of aspartam and other sweeteners. All the "light", "diet", "suger-free" labels usually hide this.

mkrnhr said:
moksha said:
but sometimes i end up having those sugar-free orange juices (in tetrapacks) due to laziness
Hi moksha, did you read the ingredients in those sugar-free orange juice? Sometimes the "sugar-free" thing hides the use of aspartam and other sweeteners. All the "light", "diet", "suger-free" labels usually hide this.

Hi mkrnhr,
good point - I did read this, and what I see in most juices that claim sugar free is that they are usually diluted version of concentrates, with no mention of either normal or synthetic sugar. Note I am not talking about the fizzy sodas here.
Now the question as to what those concentrates are actually made of is anyone's guess.

Here's an interesting excerpt from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice
In New Zealand (and others) juice denotes a sweetened fruit extract, whereas nectar denotes a pure fruit or vegetable extract....
The high sugar content of fruit juices is often not realised—many fruit juices have a higher sugar (fructose) content than sweetened soft drinks; e.g., typical grape juice has 50% more sugar than Coca Cola[11]

Fruit juice consumption overall in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the USA has increased in recent years,[12] probably due to public perception of juices as a healthy natural source of nutrients and increased public interest in health issues. Indeed, fruit juice intake has been consistently associated with reduced risk of many cancer types[13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20], might be protective against stroke[21] and delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease.[22]

The perception of fruit juice as equal in health benefit to fresh fruit has been questioned, mainly because it lacks fiber and has often been highly processed.[citation needed] High-fructose corn syrup, an ingredient of many juice cocktails, has been linked to the increased incidence of type II diabetes. High consumption of juice is also linked to weight gain,[23] but fruit juice consumption in moderate amounts can help children and adults meet the daily recommendations for fruit consumption.[24][25]

wikipedia said:
In New Zealand (and others) juice denotes a sweetened fruit extract, whereas nectar denotes a pure fruit or vegetable extract....

And to add more confusion to food labeling: Where we live, 'juice' denotes juice(100%) and 'nectar' is juice+sugar, sucrose/fructose usually.

Obviously there is no universal standard.

I'm starting to try to keep a journal, as well, but I wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm still Diet Coke/Aspartame free. My boyfriend is even helping me check labels now to make sure after I almost drank the "sugar free" flavored water with aspartame in it. I really just drink water now. Occasionally, I will have this juice called "Naked" that is absolutely delicious with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, but rarely - it's kind of expensive.

The "urge" to drink the Diet Coke still pops up in situations where I would normally get one, which I'm sure is just habit. When we go to blockbuster, I always "want" to get one. And I remind myself of all the reasons not to and I walk on by. It's gotten significantly easier.

I would be so disappointed in myself if I slipped up now after the whole month. It really keeps me in line. :)

Brenda86 said:
I'm starting to try to keep a journal, as well, but I wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm still Diet Coke/Aspartame free. My boyfriend is even helping me check labels now to make sure after I almost drank the "sugar free" flavored water with aspartame in it. I really just drink water now. Occasionally, I will have this juice called "Naked" that is absolutely delicious with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, but rarely - it's kind of expensive.

The "urge" to drink the Diet Coke still pops up in situations where I would normally get one, which I'm sure is just habit. When we go to blockbuster, I always "want" to get one. And I remind myself of all the reasons not to and I walk on by. It's gotten significantly easier.

I would be so disappointed in myself if I slipped up now after the whole month. It really keeps me in line. :)

I find it easier to wean off something rather than abruptly stopping...definitely helps with the cravings :)

[quote author=moksha]
I find it easier to wean off something rather than abruptly stopping...definitely helps with the cravings :)
[/quote]

Whereas this may be good advice for some habits, my research on the toxicity of aspartame revealed that this would be tantamount to risking a million dollars to make five.

Jerry said:
[quote author=moksha]

Whereas this may be good advice for some habits, my research on the toxicity of aspartame revealed that this would be tantamount to risking a million dollars to make five.

[/quote]

Every time I tried weaning with aspartame it was harder. The longer I go without the easier it is. Every time I had one diet coke in the beginning I drank 2-3 by the end of the day. It may not be that way for everyone, but aspartame really feels like a "drug" in that sense.

I thought it was the caffeine for the longest time, but tea just doesn't do the same thing, or coffee. Even though I don't really drink those either.

Back
Top Bottom