Dental Health

Dental Almagams?

Hi Dant, I also found out about this thing fairly recently, and then after I read a bit about it on the internet, I started searching for a biological/holistic dendist in my area.

I found one close by, and then when I started checking out their website, it had comprehensive info about this issue. Check out the video section as well.

_http://www.southafricadentist.com/

From what I gather thus far, it's not just a matter of pulling them out, apparently there's some process involved.

Dental Almagams?

I had my amalgams removed and replaced with composite ones ca 6 months ago. The dentist who is one of the pioneers of removing amalgam here in Finland, with over 20 years of experience, had me take extra vitamin supplements starting one month before the procedure. And the dose had to be increased the closer you came to the "D-day". He also wanted me to take extra selenium to increase this "antioxidant protection".

The idea with this antioxidant treatment was, according to the dentist, that when the dentist removes the amalgam there is always some amalgam that gets into your system. And in this case, as should be every time one has amalgams removed (important!), he first of all put an oxygen mask on me - to avoid med inhaling the "mercury fumes", and then he "surrounded" the tooth he was working on with this "rubber thing" (sorry don't have the right terminology). So when he says that some of the stuff gets into your system anyway, and you have to eat supplements starting one month prior to "handle" this, one gets the picture how really dangerous this stuff is. And then they of course handle the removed fillings as radioactive waste products.

Anyway, the procedure it self was quite quick and painless (I had to use anaesthesia only for one). I had 3 bigger amalgams and 2 small, and the dentist removed them all during the same appointment. He drilled the amalgam filling in the middle, making two halves, and then he just pulled them out. One interesting thing he said, was that in his experience the amalgam fillings always start to rust (yes that's correct!) after some years, thus "expanding" the cavity they are put in and ultimately resulting in cracks in the tooth. And this opens up the gates for all those nasty bacteria that want in. He also added, that many dentist claim that amalgams are more durable - that's why some prefer them, they say, but in his opinion this is complete horse h. The reason that some say this, is that making a composite filling demands more skill and takes a little bit more time. Which means that those using amalgam fillings are just plain lazy. And, this is the interesting part, if you make the composite filling carelessly and without knowing what you're doing, it will not last long. And this will make you run to the dentist every now and then, because you have fillings that don't last. Smell something fishy here...?

So this was just my experience, hope it encourages all of you still thinking about removing your amalgams just to do it. One can debate all his life on the dangers of amalgam, but one thing I learned is that there certainly isn't any reason one should choose amalgam fillings instead of composite ones. So why take the risk of having poison in your mouth, even though "it should be safe"? And the procedure wasn't really that expensive (that's one of the scare tactics: it's soooo expensive to remove them...!) , at least not here in Finland. I can't tell of any dramatic improvement in my health since the removal, I've been quite lucky to be quite healthy anyway, but it is nice to not have that metallic taste in your mouth all the time. I really noticed this quite clearly after the procedure, in retrospect. And my hair has started growing a bit stronger (I'm really quite bald). But the psychological factor that you know you don't have mercury (even though the amalgam defenders reminds of that it is a composite of several ingredients, mercury's just one of them) in you're mouth makes me smile :)

p.s. I did quite a lot of digging before deciding to remove my fillings; somewhere (sorry don't have the link now) I stumbled on some claims that several amalgam fillings in ones mouth could produce some sort of electrolysis - acting as some kind of "battery" and corroding the fillings even more. Anyone heard about this?

Dental Almagams?

aragorn said:
... and then he "surrounded" the tooth he was working on with this "rubber thing" (sorry don't have the right terminology).
I think it's called Dental dam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_dam)

aragorn said:
somewhere (sorry don't have the link now) I stumbled on some claims that several amalgam fillings in ones mouth could produce some sort of electrolysis - acting as some kind of "battery" and corroding the fillings even more. Anyone heard about this?
A family member reported that someone even had an amlagam-filled tooth which a gold-crown on it. A perfect electrochemical cell (battery).

To watch an 25 year old amalgam filling outgas, see the video I posted at the bottom of the other thread (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=7765.msg65188#msg65188).

Dental Almagams?

I've read about the electrochemical cell effect as well. I no longer have the articles. When I was busy researching the amalgam/mercury dental topic it was in the mid 1980s so I was not researching with the help of the internet and it largely involved anything I could get my hands on.

When I began the process of having all my amalgam fillings removed (due to lack of knowledge) it was not as intricate as aragorn mentioned. I also noticed the metallic taste disappeared and food actually tasted better. Also from having both the amalgam fillings and some gold crowns on my back molars I ended up with an "amalgam tatoo" on the inside of my mouth. It's a dark bluish color almost the size of an pensil eraser. Sort of looks like a broken blood vessel. I have surmised that this occurred due to the two different metals producing an electrochemical effect, however this is just a guess. Overall, I would say that amalgam fillings have the potential to damage the tooth/teeth further.

I didn't really notice any drastic health improvments immediately, but all the vague and odd aches and pains went away over time. I guess it's one less poison to deal with, but seems to me a big one.

As a side note, I began to wonder if the dentists started deserting the ADA stance because they figured they were being poisoned along with their patients. If I were a dentist, I wouldn't even deal with amalgams. The studies regarding the health histories of dentists who used amalgams are interesting. Almost every retired dentist I know has health problems.

Dental Almagams?

Another interesting source via http://www.noamalgam.com/, "Amalgam Illness Diagnosis and Treatment" by Andrew Hall Cutler. It has tips and other things of what you can do for detoxification.

Dental Almagams?

Thanks navegante!! The book looks really interesting. Information is much easier to come by today than 20 years ago!

Dental Almagams?

Here is a informative short presentation of the chemistry behind neurological-damage done by Mercury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8nSn5Ezd8 said:
How Mercury Causes Brain Neuron Degeneration University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics This short presentation available on the University website clearly shows how mercury in fillings can destroy brain neurons as seen with people who have Alzheimer's Disease.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8nSn5Ezd8

Dental Almagams?

Ive been reading about cilantro as a detox for heavy metals (mercury in particular). Thought some of you might like to have the recipes (there are two to choose from), for a chelation mixture.

Since Roman times cilantro has been used as food and medicine. A recent study by Dr. Yoshiaki Omura from the Heart Disease Research Foundation, New York, NY, USA (Acupuncture Electrotherapy Res. 96; 21 (2) 133-60 and Acupunct Eletrother Res. 1995 Aug-Dec. 20 (3-4) : 195-229 has discovered that the herb cilantro will detoxify mercury from neural tissue*., is used to help stimulate the appetite and relieves minor digestive irritation.This is a remarkable discovery. It is a novel technique, which greatly increased our ability to clear up recurring infections, both viral and bacterial. Bioactive Cilantro blend is an inexpensive, easy way to remove (or chelate) toxic metals from the nervous system and body tissues. Cilantro blend contains yellow dock to help drain the mercury from the connective tissues. It is an excellent blood cleanser, tonic, and builder, working through increasing the ability of the liver and related organs to strain and purify the blood and lymph system. Achieves it’s tonic properties through the astringent purification of the blood supply to the glands and acts as a cleansing herb for the lymphatic system.

Excerpt from The Botanical Review -- a technical bulletin published by:
The Institute of Quantum & Molecular Medicine:

Dr. Omura said he discovered, almost by accident, that the leaves of the coriander plant can accelerate the excretion of mercury, lead and aluminum from the body. He had been treating several patients for an eye infection called trachoma (granular conjunctivitis), which is caused by the micro-organism Chlamydia trachomatis. Following the standard treatment with antibiotics, Dr. Omura found that the patients' symptoms would clear up initially, then recur within a few months. He experienced similar difficulties in treating viral-related problems like Herpes Simplex types I & II and Cytomegalovirus infections.

After taking a closer look, Dr. Omura found these organisms seemed to hide and flourish in areas of the body where there were concentrations of heavy metals like mercury, lead, and aluminium. Somehow the organisms were able to use the toxic metals to protect themselves from the antibiotics.

It just so happens that while he was testing for these toxic metals, Dr. Omura noticed that mercury levels in the urine increased after one consumed a healthy serving of Vietnamese soup. The soup contained Chinese parsley, or as it is better known in this country, cilantro. (Some of you may also know it as coriander, since it comes from the leaves of the coriander plant.)

Further testing revealed that eating cilantro also increased the urinary excretion of lead and aluminum. And when cilantro was used concurrently with the antibiotics or natural antiviral agents and/or fatty acids like EPA with DHA, the above infections could be eliminated for good. ...

Dr. Omura has made a remarkable discovery. He's found a novel technique, which greatly increases our ability to clear up recurring infections, both viral and bacterial. And, perhaps more exciting, he's discovered an inexpensive, easy way to remove (or "chelate") toxic metals from the nervous system and body tissues-one that anyone can use.

Great News for Amalgam Sufferers

Cilantro Pesto

1 clove garlic
cup almonds, cashews, or other nuts
1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons olive oil

Put the cilantro and olive oil in blender and process until the cilantro is chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients and process to a lumpy paste. (You may need to add a touch of hot water and scrape the sides of the blender.) You can change the consistency by altering the amount of olive oil and lemon juice, but keep the 3:1 ratio of oil to juice. (It freezes well, so you can make several batches at once.)

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh cilantro (coriander, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tsp dulse powder
Sea salt to taste

Process the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a pinch to sea salt to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.

Cilantro has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser.

Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. The pesto is delicious on toast, baked potatoes, and pasta.

Courtesy of Nance / PLANETNEWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

Re: Prevalence and Dangers of Dental Fluorosis

sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but i think it fits best here.

i find it very strange that i've never heard about a 'dental conspiracy' - many other wide-spread diseases have their own conspiracy theories that range from plausible to ludicrous, but caries, which affects nearly every one of us is strangely missing from this chorus.
that could either be because there isn't really anything that can be done to kill it or reverse its effects or because there IS an alternative option to the mediveal drilling but the lid on it is really tight.
again, i would be very interested in the C's take on the subject.

anyway, here is something i came across that looks promising:

Xylitol

Xylitol is a "tooth friendly" sugar. Early studies from Finland in the 1970s found that a group chewing sucrose gum had 2.92 decayed, missing, or filled (dmf) teeth compared to 1.04 in the group chewing xylitol gums. In another study, researchers had mothers chew xylitol gum 3 months after delivery until their children were 2 years old. The researchers found that the xylitol group had "a 70% reduction in cavities (dmf)." Recent research confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralise damaged teeth with less interruption. (However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making yeast-based bread, for instance.)

Xylitol based products are allowed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to make the medical claim that they do not promote dental cavities.

A recent study demonstrated that a water additive for animals containing xylitol was effective in reducing plaque and calculus accumulation in cats.

Xylitol also appears to have potential as a treatment for osteoporosis. A group of Finnish researchers has found that dietary xylitol prevents weakening of bones in laboratory rats, and actually improves bone density.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

not surprisingly, none (to my knowledge) of the gums or mints available at the biggest grocery-chains here have xylitol in them - they all use aspartame.
there were one or two available a couple of years ago but they have since been taken off the shelves.

at health-food stores xylitol containing gums & mints are available.

Iconoclast said:
Recent research confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralise damaged teeth with less interruption.[/b] (However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making yeast-based bread, for instance.)

Yes, yes this is an important clue! I stumbled across xylitol also when researching the candida-mystery. I'm going to look into this more thoroughly in short. A quick search revealed that there was apparently an article in Nexus-magazine about this, link:

_http://www.thefinchleyclinic.co.uk/nojavascript/products/pdf.documents/Xylitol.doc

One passage in the article reads (I have not verified these claims!):
Although xylitol tastes and looks exactly like sugar, that is where the similarities end. Xylitol is really sugar's mirror image. While sugar wreaks havoc on the body, xylitol heals and repairs. It also builds immunity, protects against chronic degenerative disease, and has anti-aging benefits. Xylitol is considered a five-carbon sugar, which means it is an antimicrobial, preventing the growth of bacteria. While sugar is acid-forming, xylitol is alkaline enhancing. All other forms of sugar, including sorbitol, another popular alternative sweetener, are six-carbon sugars, which feed dangerous bacteria and fungi.

The magazine itself maybe dubious, but in the article there seems to be some references. Maybe someone can have a read, I'm pretty occupied until Monday. In any case, I'll get back to you on this one (in the candida-thread).

It's nice to picture in ones mind the supposed process of xylitol harming candida: the candida-yeast thinks xylitol is sugar - consuming it eagerly, just to notice later that it's been had...it's not sugar...pooooooff! :lol:

p.s. I'd just like to add, that here in Finland we have many different sorts of Xylitol-chewing gum. But almost every one of theme have either aspartame, natrium glutamate or both in them. So far I have found only one brand that does not contain them; to any Finns reading, the brand is: 'Jenkki Professioinal, Junior'.

thanks for the info, aragorn!
seems like we're on to something here...
i'll go and get some xylitol-sweetened gum this week.

Here are some already existing threads on what damages teeth and what is good for the teeth:

Fluor:
About fluoride
Not everyone is getting their fluoride. Something must be done!
Prevalence and Dangers of Dental Fluorosis
Fluoride and children
Fluoride lowers IQ significantly
Fluoride Patent
Aspartame
DOW Wants To Spray Fluoride On Your Food
Fluoridated drugs syndrome goes deeper.

--

Random:
Wisdom teeth. To pull or not to pull. That is a question...
Candida- The Silent Epidemic
Alternative treatment for rheumatoid arthritis
The Magnesium Miracle
THE STRAW THAT BROKE AETNA'S BACK & QUACKBUSTERS/BUSTED! Oh, HAPPY DAY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't really know where to post this, so I post this here. Feel free to replace if needed.

I did some browsing around the internet and I found this toothpaste, called 'Tooth Soap'.

Some info and ingredients:

_http://www.awildsoapbar.com/product.asp?productid=420635

Get super clean teeth with our Tooth Savior™ Soap for Teeth . . . the natural alternative to harmful commercial toothpastes. Now made with certified organic ingredients!

Contains no toxic fluoride, harsh abrasives, added glycerin, petroleum dyes, refined sweeteners, sodium lauryl sulfate, unsafe preservatives, or other harmful ingredients found in commercial toothpastes that actually damage your teeth, your health, and the health of our planet!

Instead, our specially formulated mint flavored tooth soap is made with organic extra virgin olive oil and enriched with wild white oak bark, organic aloe, french green clay, chlorella and sea salt.

Research has shown that teeth cleaned with natural bar soaps are far cleaner than those brushed with commercial toothpastes (even the so called "natural" ones) which contain loads of added glycerin that coats teeth and prevents re-mineralization. Plaque is removed more efficiently with our tooth soap too.

While the old practice of "washing your mouth out with soap" may have given tooth soap a bad name, don't be misled. Most people think it tastes OK (a little soapy and not nearly as sweet as the glycerin toothpastes you're probably accustomed to) but best of all . . . it's easy to use & super effective. You simply place one soap shred on a back molar, bite down, and then brush thoroughly until the soap shred is gone. Our 9 year old granddaughter even decided to take some home with her and now she's using it.

Try our mint flavored Tooth Savior™ Soap for Teeth and see if you're not totally amazed by the results! The jar will last 2 people well over 2 months if they brush twice a day. So not only is it good for your teeth and gums, it's a great bargain too! Each amber glass jar contains at least 1 oz. of soap shreds. For optimum freshness, use within 6 months of purchase. Follow up with a sea salt rinse for even better results. Do not gargle with tooth soap and avoid getting it in the back of your throat (it doesn't feel good.) For this reason, Tooth Savior™ is not suitable for small children.

Some people have asked about a tooth brightener to use in conjunction with the tooth soap. Dip a moistened toothbrush in baking soda once or twice a week and brush with that. The longer you leave it on, the better it will work.

[...]

Ingredients: saponified organic extra virgin olive, organic coconut, and organic palm oils, organic aloe, wild white oak bark, french green clay, sea salt, peppermint, spearmint & tea tree essential oils, chlorella, vanilla, stevia

here _http://www.inspiredliving.com/mouth-care/

In the book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" written by Weston A. Price, DDS and his wife Florence sometime before 1939, the couple reveal the results of their studies of communities in Switzerland, the Hebrides and tribes of Indians in Alaska. They found that these isolated people, whose diet consisted of only natural food, had about 1/15th the decay as people who ate refined carbohydrates.

More recently, Dean Bonlie, DDS from Canada, found the same phenomenon in Alaskan Indians and South Sea Islanders. He discovered that teeth that should have been completely sound were badly decayed in people eating high refined carbohydrate diets. On the other hand, he found perfect teeth in tribesmen and islanders who didn't consume refined carbohydrate products. The best news of all is that Dr. Bonlie discovered that bad teeth and gums were reversed when the tribesmen changed their diet and mouth care procedures.

More compelling is the research done by Dr. Gerard F. Judd, Professor, Chemist and Researcher. In his book, ''Good Teeth Birth to Death", Dr. Judd exposes many myths about fluoride, toothpaste, tooth decay and gum health, and builds a strong case for the use of tooth soap.

[...]

What Is the Solution for Healthier Teeth and Gums?

How you care for your mouth determines the health of your teeth and gums. Use soap to clean your teeth because soap is an excellent detergent, mixing insoluble oils on the tongue, inner cheek and teeth with the water and rinsing it away. Teeth that are cleaned and rinsed using bar soap are far cleaner than those cleaned with toothpaste, which contains sugar, acid, chalk, silicates (sand), soap, fluoride, methyl benzoate (for a cool mouth) dyes, stabilizers, mixing agents and other contaminating chemicals. These ingredients badly contaminate the teeth and prevent good enamelization.

These sites are not that positive about glycerine:

Toothpaste contains viscous, sticky glycerin, the main ingredient in toothpaste, which coats the teeth and prevents re-enamelization from nutrients in the diet. Glycerin takes over 20 rinses to be removed and leaves your teeth coated! Skeptical? Try this simple test. Start with a clean sink and smear some of your toothpaste on the sink. Rinse it off and watch how the water beads up because of the sticky glycerin. You will have to keep rinsing and rinsing to remove it! Your teeth are similar to a porcelain sink, and your teeth are being coated every time you use toothpaste. Coated teeth cannot re-enamelize from nutrients in the diet!

However in the Candida thread I searched for glycerine and found this:

Another excellent formula for thrush of the mouth is Propolis With Herbs by Twin Labs. It is a glycerine tincture containing golden seal, marshmallow, licorice, echinacea, myrrh, black walnut leaves, garlic and capsicum plus the propolis. It too can be diluted in bottle water.

Here are some comments on this product:
_http://www.tfrecipes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285

Shall I buy Tooth Soap and try it out or just buy a toothpaste that contains no fluoride or maybe try the Propolis toothpaste?

Re: Tooth Soap ™

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Oxajil !
It's an aspect that's been missing here, imo.
I've found some seemingly good researched articles on
teeth diseases and cure (causes connected with --guess what-- nutrition!).
They're however, in German. Gotta see if I can find some time to
translate and put them here for all of us to have access to this info.

I know, you've asked about tooth soap --don't know about this one--
and maybe we could enhance the topic towards over-all teeth health.
In one of those articles I read about an author who claims he could
heal tooth decay with simple supplement of specific minerals.
(one has to buy the book for specific details tho :( )
As I said I'll try to find some time for translation of said articles,
if I find them again.
fwiw

essence said:
Thanks for bringing up this topic, Oxajil !
It's an aspect that's been missing here, imo.
I've found some seemingly good researched articles on
teeth diseases and cure (causes connected with --guess what-- nutrition!).
They're however, in German. Gotta see if I can find some time to
translate and put them here for all of us to have access to this info.
Sounds interesting! I hope you can translate some parts of it

essence said:
I know, you've asked about tooth soap --don't know about this one--
and maybe we could enhance the topic towards over-all teeth health.
In one of those articles I read about an author who claims he could
heal tooth decay with simple supplement of specific minerals.
(one has to buy the book for specific details tho :( )
As I said I'll try to find some time for translation of said articles,
if I find them again.
fwiw
Ok. I'll be digging around too.

Funny, I was searching and discovered that the contents and infos of one of the articles I planned to translate
were in fact from an amateur researcher, called Rami Nagel, an American. Here's a TV interview
with him about how he discovered his nutritional program for preventing and healing tooth decay.

_http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK3J65LSSFF1HQU

His website has some kind of tour, where the basics are being explained. However, please keep in
mind I'm not promoting neither him nor his book. Have a look on your own and everything with a grain of salt!

_http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Decay/healthy_people_healthy_teeth.htm

To me, this whole marketing thing 'Buy my book, buy my book!', is quite deterrent, but I guess he's got
to make his living, too, and maybe got soaked up by the typical promoter campaign (or he is such a type himself,
though in the interview he doesn't appear to be -- can I trust my reading machine? hmmm..).

However, his approach is based on his own personal researches and Dr Price's studies in the 1930's,
where he discovered that many, not all, indigenous peoples had perfectly healthy teeth, as long as they kept to
their original and natural diets. Whenever indigenous people switched to 'western' diet, tooth decay came about.
Actually I wanted to quote some information from their website, but I checked their copyrights and they don't
allow it, but say one should link to the website instead. Well, whatever.

What it comes down to, I think, is that following the guidelines of detox, anti-candida diet, work-out, sauna, fasting,
infra-red light, mineral supplements, and then maintaining a steady diet of vegetables, gluten-free grains, nuts etc (check the threads),
you'll be having your healthy teeth automatically, osit, because the entire system is being taken care of, as the teeth's condition
depends on one's overall physical condition, which in turn depends on efficient nutrition.

As for tooth soap, I still don't have any more data. Maybe someone else?

I personally use a mineral tooth paste (with algae-extract) from an organics shop, without fluoride.
I have wondered though, whether there're even better solutions.

One of my teachers (phytotherapist) in naturopathic school has once told us about her own way of going about it:
She never brushes her teeth! Sometimes she rinses them with some herbals if needed.
She's a smoker and she has pretty healthy-looking teeth (as an outside observervation) and no foetor ex ore = mouth odor.
However, she only reluctantly talked about it, because, she said, people always react very digusted when
hearing that somebody is not brushing their teeth. So she just does it her own way, avoids talking about it and has no dental
problems at all, at least that's what she said back then, around 1,5 yrs ago.

p.s.
I'll translate some bits and pieces from the German website though, because the information seems worth considering.
Please, just have some patience, those articles are all pretty long. It's still better tho having them here than having to buy
still another book, unless of course you're rich.. ;)

edit for spelling

Back
Top Bottom