Dental Health

Wisdom teeth. To pull or not to pull. That is a question...

I was told:
1) Because they are hard to reach and clean, they can lead to decay and abcess.
2) Over time, they tend to grow and cause all other teeth to crunch together, crooking your teeth, closing the gaps between teeth, makes flossing/cleaning more difficult, which leads to more teeth problems.
3) Waiting until later life to remove them makes it much more difficult to remove and more painful.

I had 2 at a time pulled and watch my kids suffer with all 4 removed at the same time. Looks like you just left a boxing match and got the h*ll beaten out of you. :) Alas it was no picnic either way.

Still... I wonder why the heck they call it: "Wisdom teeth"...

had all 4 of mine taken out, ortho said so and at the time i didn't question it.

I don't know if they F'd it up or what, but i wasn't back to normal for 3 weeks or so...

Coulda been the smoking that i didn't stop or the eating solids that i wasn't supposed to do thou :-)

I never had problems with all my wisdom teeth and not sure if I even remember when they came out.
But does it mean that it still can become problematic in the future, and better to get rid of them?

Its beyond me why would any medical/dental practitioner think that body would go through all that trouble to produce something that needs to be routinely removed,

same story like with tonsils

Just 4 YI the rots of wisdom teeth sometimes curve and form a loop through which one of major nerve runs, you pull the wisdom tooth and voila you irreversibly loose inervation to the significant part of your face.

Take a closer look at inferior alveolar branch

gray781ky3.png

This is very rare occurence but it is something to think about

Some thoughts. There was a dentist in the 50's who went and studied the teeth of various populations that had yet to be touched by modern foods (google: Victor Price.). He visited various places ranging from Papa New Guinea to remote villages in Switzerland so high up, they rarely recieved trade and grew all thier own food.
His research found that tooth decay in these people was less than %1, while kids in London were rotting thier teeth out on modern diets. He suggests that the diet of these people allowed for proper bone growth of the skull, thereby allowing for the teeth to grow straight and broad, as opposed to crooked. Also, the acidity of the skin and gumbs leads to tooth decay from improper diet.
There are alot of convincing photographs in his book, showing children in remote Swiss villages next to children in London. The Swiss kids have broad faces and thier teeth grow in straight rows. He even has shows the teeth of the generation that never had modern foods, and then the next generation raised on the new diets that eventaully came to towns. The older generation had broader faces and straight teeth, but the childrens faces were more pinched, and thier teech crooked.

I had the one mercury filling in my mouth changed to ceramic. There is alot of research on mercury fillings and how bad they are for the human system.

I've been visiting the same dentist for almost 20 years now and he is one of very few that is reluctant to pull out any tooth unless it's beyond repair or it's causing problems. Well I had my wisdom teeth pulled out by him sometime ago but what I remember is a remark that he made to me a few years ago when my eldest daughter needed to have braces put on. He stated that over the years he noted that the older generation (generally born before 1965) tended to have their wisdom teeth removed. The younger generation generally had to remove one of the incisors or tooth more to the front of the jaw bone rather than the back molars or wisdom tooth. I then asked him if there was any reason for his observation and he responded that perhaps it had something to do with food that we ate but he wasn't really too sure about that.

GreyCat said:
I had the one mercury filling in my mouth changed to ceramic. There is alot of research on mercury fillings and how bad they are for the human system.
Well in that case I should have been dead long time ago, there is enough mercury in my back teeth to kill an elephant, as it is the case with preety much everyone from my generation onwards:)

My point being there is a lot of controversy on this issue and it is still very difficult to discern the truth
meanwil I continue grinding away with my amalgams

The timing of this topic is quite amazing, since Tuesday I've been really ill mainly due to my wisdom teeth.
I've got the beggers coming through from all four sides of my mouth, which caused an infection in my mouth at first, creating ulcers which turned into cuts if I ate anything slightly solid.

Next, the infection spread to my tonsils, which made the one on the right side of my neck swell to the size of a ping-pong ball, making swallowing very difficult. Because my body was so run down, I had a terrible fever on Tuesday night, and have been feeling pretty awful in general since then. Maybe they are called wisdom teeth because they teach you how to cope with all this...?

I've been carrying out a few "energetic" experiments through New energy ways to see what would happen when infections are stimulated, which brought about some interesting sensations in other damaged parts of my body I've been recently paying more attention to, mainly in certain parts of my weak gut. The results were complicated and varied however, so I am not sure of the connection.

About 6 months ago my dentist told me I might have problems with my wisdom teeth after looking at x-rays of my mouth. He said the operation could be very painful, explaining to me how the nerves could be damaged and how I might have to stop working for 2 weeks! At the time, I had only minor pains with my wisdom teeth and thought the operation wasn't worth it, but now, I think it may be "Wise" to reconsider...

Deckard said:
Well in that case I should have been dead long time ago, there is enough mercury in my back teeth to kill an elephant, as it is the case with preety much everyone from my generation onwards:)
*shrug* Suit yourself. It might be effecting you in ways you aren't aware of or your body can handle it, but spends alot of it's resoucres doing such thereby weakening you in other ways. Whats clear is that mercury IS caustic to humans and should not be placed in or on the human body. Depending on how deep the fillings were drilled, it can be seeping directly into your gumbs.
There have been many a dead alchemist due to mercury poisoning...

Maybe they are called wisdom teeth because they teach you how to cope with all this...?
That's one of the possibilities I thought also. If you let pain just be, without paying attention to it.. not thinking about it... it really helps to bring it to tolerable levels.

GreyCat said:
*shrug* Suit yourself. It might be effecting you in ways you aren't aware of or your body can handle it, but spends alot of it's resoucres doing such thereby weakening you in other ways. Whats clear is that mercury IS caustic to humans and should not be placed in or on the human body. Depending on how deep the fillings were drilled, it can be seeping directly into your gumbs.
There have been many a dead alchemist due to mercury poisoning...
I meant in a way- dont have many other options do I.
You mignt be right, but you also might not be. There simply isnt enough evidence to support either statment.
In the mean time I am happier not to think about it. Thats all I meant.

Regarding mercury fillings, I once heard a doctor say (someone very skeptical of the mainstream medical establishment, I might add) that being concerned about mercury fillings is "making a major out of a minor". This was in the context of all the other toxins we ingest daily (i.e. artificial preservatives, MSG, fluoride, fumes from car exhausts, etc.) and that if we focus on having a much healthier organic diet, a thing such as a mercury filling will become trivial. Besides, unless you actually swallow a mercury filling, I fail to see how anything but an insignificant amount could get absorbed into your body.

Here is how:

Instability of Amalgams - Mercury Exposure Web Site

Mercury droplet formation on the surfaces of non-gamma-two amalgams was first reported in 1982. This phenomenon seems still not to have generated one single scientific report, and now is 1997. The establishment of the dental and medical communities have turned their backs on the information, as if their not seeing also meant the phenomenon is not real.

In this web-document by Ulf Bengtsson you will learn more about the background, and you will find a description of an experiment performed in 1986 with thorough pictorial documentation, including a QuickTime movie showing how the mercury droplets form on the surface of non-gamma-two amalgams. All fully referenced. When you look at these droplets you actually look at something the establishment of the dental and medical communities don't want to see, and also have gone into considerable efforts not to be made seen by others. What you see is a real phenomenon.

The relevance of mercury droplet formation on amalgam surfaces is that it is a phenomenon strongly refuting arguments concerning the stability of amalgams, or the negligible amount of diffusion of mercury. In the end it is the officially held view of risk from mercury in amalgam fillings which is refuted. Fifteen years of neglect is a long time, and it is a neglect shared over national borders, it is world wide. This kind of neglect is incompatible with modern concepts of social responsibility and public accountability. Knowledge and information are assets for finding opportunities to reduce risk, but in this case have been treated as threats against business as usual, so possibly increasing risk.
and also this

5. When mercury vapor is inhaled as much as 80% may enter the bloodstream. Bacteria changes mercury vapor into methyl mercury now entering the blood stream, where it crosses the blood brain barrier promoting the uptake of toxins, upsetting chemical balance, causing neurological problems and brain function disturbances. The sheep experiment shows mercury from dental amalgam in every organ including the brain (this reduced image only shows the largest areas).

7.The release of mercury from the amalgam increases with agitation, chewing, heat, brushing, drilling, trauma, galvanism (electrical interactions with other metals/corrosion) and electricity.

10.The degree of risk of mercury poisoning depends on the total placements, duration of exposure, number of times drilled, galvanism, root canal and necrotic bone bacteria, the cumulative risk factors and the age of the exposed person. Mercury travels from mother to child creating a unique genetic factor, in the development of neurological and chemical growth factors. Some people have protective enzymes that pick up the stray metals, some do not.

15. Some advancements have been made to understand how dentistry plays an important role in medicine such as Autism, MS, CFS, Alzheimer's and heart disease, but more attention is needed at the onset of minor symptoms such as reflux disease, perimenopause, pain management, the immune system and psychiatry. The most prominent medical relationship of dental amalgam is multiple symptoms and chronic disease normally recognized as a ten year delay between exposure and surmountable symptoms, the range is so broad that the only logical solution is to eliminate mercury completely. The discovery needs to be made early by recognizing mercury as the influence in the mouth, the altered biological environment affected by association with galvanism, necrotic bone and focal infection.

Novelis said:
About 6 months ago my dentist told me I might have problems with my wisdom teeth after looking at x-rays of my mouth. He said the operation could be very painful, explaining to me how the nerves could be damaged and how I might have to stop working for 2 weeks! At the time, I had only minor pains with my wisdom teeth and thought the operation wasn't worth it, but now, I think it may be "Wise" to reconsider...
I pretty much went through the same scenario. The possibility of nerve damage exists but the alternative is not a "possiblity", you will be in pain if you don't get them removed and they start to cause headaches, tooth pain, etc. I missed one week of work and it was hell, but after a few weeks the pain starts to subside. I also think that the longer the wisdom teeth stay embedded the more painful it will be to get them extracted.

Back
Top Bottom