Cooking Videos!!!

Bobo08 said:
Hi msasa,
As I understand it, dates naturally contain some acid. So that's what reacts with the baking soda to produce the "lift".
[...]
When you put in baking soda, it will start to react with acid in dates immediately. The gas produced will gradually get out of the batter if you leave it overnight. I think that's why it didn't lift when you baked in the morning.

Thanks Bobo08!

When looked through this thread a little bit carefully, found that subject of acid in dates was addressed before. Really need to check first before replying. :-[

Laura said:
Laurentien said:
You don't use baking powder in your bread, is it because it contain gluten, because I use Red Mill gluten free and non-aluminum baking powder and soda. Even if I can't put name to the faces on the video, it was nice to see you all.

I use baking powder a lot, but with this cake/bread you do not. The baking soda in the hot water interacts with the acids of the dates and that is what gives the lift. It would not work as well with baking powder.

Laura said:
That's why I say that cooking is part chemistry, part alchemy, part metallurgy. Knowing exactly what your ingredients do, what and how and if you can substitute, how to correct mistakes on the fly, etc, are all part of the process.

It's gonna be a great challenge and a lot of fun for me learning all this. Especially cause I found myself to be pretty rigid when it comes to "improvisations" and making adjustments in the middle of some work. Need to step outside of a frame... :rolleyes:

Thank you Laura and everyone for the video/recipe for buckwheat date bread. It is so delicious and really agrees with my system (blood type A). It has become a staple. I realized I was gluten intolerant 5+ years ago and this is a better alternative to most gluten-free breads. I'm looking forward to catching up on the other cooking videos.

I just made my first buckwheat date bread it's in Oven right now
can't wait to eat it

Pashalis said:
I just made my first buckwheat date bread it's in Oven right now
can't wait to eat it

ohh..... the buckwheat date bread is so delicious and fluffy, it's amazing !
great recipe Laura :clap:

Back
Top Bottom