Cooking Videos!!!

I now have it wrapped in a paper towel on my kitchen table. Seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :)

I made the date bread yesterday and it tasted really yummy! And the consistence was fluffy and wonderful too. :thup:

But for me personally eating it turned out to be a bit problematic. I actually never been that interested in sweet stuff, I somehow don't have the taste for it. Why did I make the bread then you may ask...? Well, I wanted to give an alternative for my wife to eat, since she really likes sweet food. And also to have something to serve guests occasionally.

Anyway, it seems that eating four(!) slices of the bread/cake (in Finland we like our bread salty, not sweet, so we actually felt this was more like eating cake) wasn't good for me. It was really stupid of me to eat this much. After a while my heart rate accelerated considerably and my heart actually started skipping beats! I got a little concerned over this so I took a few glasses of water and lied down and started pipe breathing. After two hours or so my heart rate finally slowed down to normal, but today I still feel sluggish...like my brain is swollen.

I hope you don't find this as criticising the recipe, it was really good! Our son really loved it! I just wanted to share this in case someone else is 'sweet sensitive' and plans to eat this bread. My symptoms could of course be caused by some allergic reaction or maybe the fibers, altough I've never been this sensitive to any fibers before.

Edit: corrected 'sugar sensitive'

Aragorn said:
I just wanted to share this if someone else is sugar sensitive and plans to eat this bread. My symptoms could of course be caused by some allergic reaction or maybe the fibers, altough I've never been this sensitive to any fibers before.

Hi Aragorn, I'm sorry to hear that you had those "side effects".
You have mentioned sugar, did you actually use sugar in the bread, or xylitol as presented in the video? I'm just asking because sugar can be highly inflammatory, and that includes an inflamed brain. You have mentioned feeling sluggish, and as if your brain was swollen, so I thought this could be a possibility.

Sorry for being unclear, I should have said 'sweet sensitive'. God no, I never put sugar in anything. I only used dates and date paste, and not even the whole amount given in the recipe. For my 'Finnish taste' even that tasted extremely sweet. So I did not use xylitol either. I think I'll try out some 'salty bread' recipes instead :)

Last weekend my wife prepared the mixture for date bread and left it over night to bake it in the morning (it was said in the video and I've been saying to her that for buckwheat it's good to sit over night).
When baked it didn't lift almost at all. :huh:

Baking soda was added in the mixture as shown in the video but we didn't add it in the morning.
Should we have added an extra portion of it before baking for proper lift to happen or maybe we didn't have to put baking soda at all in the evening but just in the morning?

The pancake batter does well sitting overnight, but a cake needs so much lift it's not a good idea.

I have a question about the latest cooking video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgNufnjfZU - which is about sausages (hope I'm not spilling the beans too early or anything, I notice their wasn't an announcement about it). Anyway, their seem to be two different recipes given out in the video. The first one is the one given by Laura:

8 lb pork
5 tsp cumin
2tsp thyme
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp peppercorn
3 tsp salt
2-3 tsp sage

Then, at the end of the video, a black screen comes up with another recipe:

1lb pork
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp summer savoury
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/8 tsp mustard seed

Now, I know I am not that experienced when it comes to the kitchen, so maybe the differences in the two are negligible. But just in case, I am wondering about the lack of cumin in the second recipe and if its exclusion was intentional or not.

By the way, after viewing I was seriously craving some sausage patties! Thanks again for taking the time to guide us to a healthier diet.

Is the buckwheat crepes/pancake video still planned? My wife and I wasted a lot of materials producing stuff we couldn't eat :)

Can type A's have pork? On the curezone.com blood type chart it says all types should avoid bacon/ham/pork. Perhaps the sausage could be made with turkey or chicken?

gaman said:
Is the buckwheat crepes/pancake video still planned? My wife and I wasted a lot of materials producing stuff we couldn't eat :)

I hope so too! In the meantime, you could try the recipe here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12952.0
I managed to follow the recipe and not mess things up completely :P

I left out cumin because a member of our household proved to be sensitive to it. There are many sausage recipes and it is fun to try out different ones!

Just made beef and veg lasagne using buckwheat crepes. It was pretty tasty.
Even the bechamel sauce (with nutmeg and rice milk ) came out pretty good.
Had to play aroung to get the sauce just right because with buckwheat it seems to thicken more than wheat flour.
Glad it worked because I really missed my lasagne. lol

Great job on the videos! Can't wait to see how you make your crepes; I always screw up and end up with buckwheat chips. :)

I have some questions though:

1. Is it bad to chop food on plastic cutting boards? With all you said about teflon and tupperware, I'm trying to limit my food's exposure to it as much as possible. Should I invest in a wooden one?

2. While thinking about the plastic, the bags you used for your sausage patties were plastic, right? Is it okay to store food in plastic if you're only going to freeze stuff in it? I don't see how chemicals would leech into the food unless you leave the light on too long, or is in some other way exposed to UV.

3. Isn't it really dangerous to try to "smoke" the seal off of a pan with hot oil? I mean, it's common sense to vent your kitchen while doing that, but isn't it possible to start a really bad oil fire that way, especially if you're using a gas stove?

Again, thanks! I will rate and comment on YouTube.

zlyja said:
I have some questions though:

1. Is it bad to chop food on plastic cutting boards? With all you said about teflon and tupperware, I'm trying to limit my food's exposure to it as much as possible. Should I invest in a wooden one?

Possibly the chopping/cutting activity on a plastic board could make the molecules unstable. I would use wood. Wood is also naturally anti-bacterial though it is good to scrub it after each use with a brush.

zlyja said:
2. While thinking about the plastic, the bags you used for your sausage patties were plastic, right? Is it okay to store food in plastic if you're only going to freeze stuff in it? I don't see how chemicals would leech into the food unless you leave the light on too long, or is in some other way exposed to UV.

Exactly. The point is not to use any plastic in connection with food and heat.

zlyja said:
3. Isn't it really dangerous to try to "smoke" the seal off of a pan with hot oil? I mean, it's common sense to vent your kitchen while doing that, but isn't it possible to start a really bad oil fire that way, especially if you're using a gas stove?

Well, one would hope that the individual seasoning the pan wouldn't use that much oil (we are talking about a light film) and would not make it THAT hot. It is supposed to JUST smoke and then get the hot water treatment. You can do it one or two times, too.

There is another way to season a pan for those who have ovens that don't vent into the room (and the pan does not have any kind of attached handle). Just oil it and put it in the oven at 350 F for about 3 hours. Let it cool down and oil again. Repeat as needed.

stellar said:
Just made beef and veg lasagne using buckwheat crepes. It was pretty tasty.
Even the bechamel sauce (with nutmeg and rice milk ) came out pretty good.
Had to play aroung to get the sauce just right because with buckwheat it seems to thicken more than wheat flour.
Glad it worked because I really missed my lasagne. lol

This is what I like to hear about: doing experiments! You can make sauces, gravies, cakes, cookies, cobblers, pizzas, all kinds of things; you just need to get familiar with your working medium: buckwheat. The rules that work for wheat don't work for buckwheat, so get acquainted without any efforts to make it act like wheat.

Actually, for lasagna, I think I would get a pasta machine and work out a way to make buckwheat pasta. Geeze, they sell it in the stores, so it must be possible to make it at home! If I was able to eat eggs, it would be easy, but I'm going to try making it without - maybe just some tapioca flour for a bit extra stickiness.

Back
Top Bottom