Computers will overpower us

obyvatel said:
H-kqge said:
Growing numbers of neuroscientists feel we may soon be able to explain consciousness by discovering how trillions of neuron connections initiate thoughts and direct emotions and actions.
Seems to me that they got it backward, A more plausible explanation would be that thought (information) shapes those neuronal connections. But this possibility is difficult if not impossible to entertain given the paradigm of materialism that rules science.
It is sad that a lot of powerful technology and taxpayer money goes down the drain because these "scientists" are not able to see beyond the end of their noses.

My guess is that the real dilemma lays into the understanding of (mechanical) consciousness and spirit.
This is not main stream, but a few more or less renowned scientists are pleading that a coherent space-time needs exterior informations (to space-time) plus extra dimensions.
A dissociation in between brain-consciousness (mental, emotions, ego) and spirit (free-will, not space-time conditioned) would be most welcome nowadays, if we don't want to be overpowered by computers or what else...

Ennio said:
Don't we make distinctions between the different types of psychopaths that exist in the world and the various ways they affect / victimize / ponerize people? How might looking at AI in this context not have some value, even if it is AI?
That's true, there will be repercussions, I was just thinking more in terms of "what do we do about this" rather than "this is interesting/dangerous". I agree, and I would add self-replicating molecular nanomachines as another development, potentially assisted by AI, that might be an issue down the line.

Ennio said:
SAO said:
So while the psychopaths may aquire some new "toys" and tools, they're just gonna use'em for the same stuff they've been doing. And that's why I think treating AI as the boogieman distracts from the real problem. It's not a new boogie man, it's just a bigger knife wielded by the already existing boogie man, and he was, and continues to be the real threat to humanity.

The distinction here is that the boogie man may no longer be wielding the knife. The knife will have left the grasp of the boogie man and would be flying around on it's own, the knife having become sentient.
Right. And how terrible. I do not know if the drones fall into this category as well.

Ennio said:
SAO said:
We can't stop technological progress and development. Smart, creative people, will always be experimenting and inventing new things, which includes things like nuclear fusion and AI. But the real problem is that it is funded and then used by psychopaths to kill more people, and until they are no longer running things, things will continue in the same direction. Raising alarm at every new technological development is equivalent to being upset when the playground bully picks up a bigger rock, and being more upset about the fact that the rock was there than the fact that nobody stands up to the bully in the first place, osit.

As has been suggested in the thread, I think what makes this technology unique and therefore worthy of attention is 1.) the order of magnitude that separates it from most other potentially dangerous technologies 2.) the fact that it deals with artificial intelligence which is still a pretty novel development in our time, except as depicted in works of science fiction - and brings up all kinds of ethical and philosophical concerns 3.) it is a potential outgrowth of the psychopathic reality we live in, and because it can greatly impact our lives, it is worth becoming aware of - like any facet of psychopathy 4.) it may very well be representative of how sts forces have a natural talent for misusing technology and allowing it overpower them - to the detriment of all (ie. Atlantean crystals) and is therefore very interesting and relevant to look at in a cyclical / Historical context I think.

As another good example of some of this you may want to check out the Tasers as a Sign of the Times thread.
Very interesting. And on the Atlanteans, I thought the "reincarnation" of the crystals was the domain of slaves through EM waves of artificial generation in nowadays. But apparently is much more complex, as always. Like corrupt diet, computers, etc. And in the Atlantean civilization had probably psychopaths in power, right? I say, for the dates of the sessiones obviously were there. But at what level "pulling the strings" I have no idea.

Modify: Clarity.

Another interesting perspective on why computers will overpower us.; in an nutshell - computers are literally (however unwittingly) programmed to:

http://www.sott.net/article/277663-Why-there-will-be-a-robot-uprising

The best depiction of this in any movie I have seen is still embodied by the HAL 9000 in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick. 2001 was way way ahead of it's time in anticipating these issues considering it was made in 1968!

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

Remarkable quote from Elon Musk (Tesla CEO):

_http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2374777/elon-musk-warns-that-robots-may-see-humans-as-spam-and-delete-them

Back
Top Bottom