Coffee and Cigarettes

SlipNet

The Living Force
I have seen this film a bunch of times and I still enjoy it. It's by acclaimed director Jim Jarmusch and features a tremendous ensemble cast. It just captures the simple pleasures of drinking a coffee, having a smoke, and just chatting with a buddy about the mundane minutiae of life. The fact that it takes place indoors and people can still enjoy a smoke is so nostalgic for me, I really miss those days of freedom. Now we're marginalised into our outdoor ghettos.

There's no real plot as such, just a series of conversations in cafes and it has a very improvised feel to it. if you're of a certain age you can also enjoy spotting the rock legends who feature as well. A great movie, well worth watching.

The highlight of this film is the chat between Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan. Over coffee and smokes you get a masterful study in artistic narcissism from Coogan, with Molina providing the contrasting authenticity. Brilliant acting and writing, it sticks in my mind all over again having just watched this again today. It's the big high point of the film, which is choc full of delightfully quirky observational stuff on appetites and the art of communication. Honestly I can't recommend this film enough, Director Jim Jarmusch has made a real gem of a film here, and the casting is inspired. Five stars from me, and anything involving Bill Murray gets a bonus point from me. He does a weird kind of normal that is always captivating.:cool2: As intense as five cups of coffee with ciggies in accompaniment.

Thanks for posting this SlipNet! I remember seeing a short review of this film when it came out, and being really intrigued.. I was only young and the idea of a new movie coming out which was black & white, and basically just a series of conversations, was completely novel to me! It stuck in my mind as a movie I should watch one day.... but I never did... until last night, because of this thread. I hadn't known who the director was.. loved the other couple of his films I've seen (Ghost Dog & Only Lovers Left Alive).. and I loved this too! Such a relaxing film.. all the tiny nuances of facial expression communication.. Also I like how Jim Jarmusch seems to like putting odd little bits about Nikola Tesla or strange electrical/acoustic theories in his stuff... My favourite bit was probably the Cate Blanchett bit... the little things in life that there just isn't really an answer to...

Yup, Beth toured with Joe and often records with him.
Beth’s latest solo album is a real treat, nothing to do with coffee and cigarettes but a wonderful, heart felt album. She has a wonderful voice and pretty darn good on the piano! It is called War In My Mind, check it out if interested, one of my favorites, here is a video of my favorite songs on the album, she is a talent!

I have seen this film a bunch of times and I still enjoy it. It's by acclaimed director Jim Jarmusch and features a tremendous ensemble cast. It just captures the simple pleasures of drinking a coffee, having a smoke, and just chatting with a buddy about the mundane minutiae of life. The fact that it takes place indoors and people can still enjoy a smoke is so nostalgic for me, I really miss those days of freedom. Now we're marginalised into our outdoor ghettos.

There's no real plot as such, just a series of conversations in cafes and it has a very improvised feel to it. if you're of a certain age you can also enjoy spotting the rock legends who feature as well. A great movie, well worth watching.

I love so much this movie, I saw it many times and I will see it again very soon. Same director did a movie in this genre about taxis, also so interesting! Is this movie : Night on earth

I think a taxi is a space where many things can happen. And taxi drivers are special, I know.

I love so much this movie, I saw it many times and I will see it again very soon. Same director did a movie in this genre about taxis, also so interesting! Is this movie : Night on earth
Thanks for bringing this up. I watched Night on Earth a few years back and loved it. Quite often people have their guard down when in travel/transit, and a few nuggets of wisdom can be revealed by us in these moments. Two of my good friends in Wales are taxi drivers, and they have so many stories to tell. In one recent chat, a taxi driver friend of mine had to take a group of Russian oil rig workers to an airport following their shifts. He had a long journey with them, and when reflecting on them from the journey he told me that they were hard men, very masculine, real tough. They could handle difficulties with no fuss, and never complained. And they saw through the covid mask bullshit straight away.:-D

And yes, they all smoked!

Back
Top Bottom