Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

Goemon_ said:
nicklebleu said:
How do you proceed, exactly? Do you first make the broth, and then pour it in jars, and then process the jars in the pressure canner? For how long do you process those? I've noticed that just pouring hot broth in a jar, and closing the lid is enough to produce the "pop" as the lids seal. But I don't know if one should still process the jars with broth in the canner for safety measures. On the other hand, if one makes the broth in a pressure canner for like 3 hours at 15 PSI, then any problematic bacteria should have been destroyed, I guess.

The instruction book tell us to proceed at 10 PSI except if you are in high altitude.

It says that to much temp would be bad for nutrients.

Which instruction book do you mean?

Aragorn said:
How do you proceed, exactly? Do you first make the broth, and then pour it in jars, and then process the jars in the pressure canner? For how long do you process those? I've noticed that just pouring hot broth in a jar, and closing the lid is enough to produce the "pop" as the lids seal. But I don't know if one should still process the jars with broth in the canner for safety measures. On the other hand, if one makes the broth in a pressure canner for like 3 hours at 15 PSI, then any problematic bacteria should have been destroyed, I guess.

The canning litterature doesn't address preserving any kind of fat (except that canning butter isn't considered safe - not sure about that), so in that sense I'm still unsure how to do this.

I know e.g. The Blue Book on Canning warns against any fat coming between the lids; it won't make a proper seal, they say. But I don't see how this is a problem as long as the lids "pop" down after processing.
I've been using the Ball Blue Book of Canning and Preserving as a reference for canning broth. The recipe for canning beef stock is this:

Beef Stock

4 pounds meaty bones 2 quarts water 1 medium onion finely chopped 1 carrot sliced 1 stalk celary sliced 1 bay leaf salt to taste

Bring beef bones and water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepot. Reduce heat; skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and salt to taste. Cover. Simmer 2 to 3 hours. If more flavor is desired, simmer longer or add beef bouillon to stock. Remove beef bones. Strain liquid; skim excess fat from top of stock. Ladlehot stock into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps, process pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

I make a basic broth with water and bones and season with salt at the end. I don't skim the fat off. They seem to be sealing fine.

Chrissy said:
Aragorn said:

The canning litterature doesn't address preserving any kind of fat (except that canning butter isn't considered safe - not sure about that), so in that sense I'm still unsure how to do this.

I know e.g. The Blue Book on Canning warns against any fat coming between the lids; it won't make a proper seal, they say. But I don't see how this is a problem as long as the lids "pop" down after processing.
I've been using the Ball Blue Book of Canning and Preserving as a reference for canning broth. The recipe for canning beef stock is this:

Beef Stock

4 pounds meaty bones 2 quarts water 1 medium onion finely chopped 1 carrot sliced 1 stalk celary sliced 1 bay leaf salt to taste

Bring beef bones and water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepot. Reduce heat; skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and salt to taste. Cover. Simmer 2 to 3 hours. If more flavor is desired, simmer longer or add beef bouillon to stock. Remove beef bones. Strain liquid; skim excess fat from top of stock. Ladlehot stock into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps, process pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

I make a basic broth with water and bones and season with salt at the end. I don't skim the fat off. They seem to be sealing fine.

Thanks, Chrissy! I somehow missed that recipe; now I realise that 'stock' and 'broth' mean the same thing. :)

Goemon_ said:
Instruction book of the All American presure canner.

In my All American pressure canning book it says to use the 10# weight up to 1000 feet and over 1000 feet use the 15# weight.

I've been doing my first cannings, just did the liver paty which is absolutely lovely and right up there with bacon!, only 2 out of 4 made it with seals intact. Can I re-can the 2 unlucky ones tommorow? (despite having been refrigerated a night before the canning and now are going in the refrigerator for one more night)

I'm having difficulties keeping the even pressure (11 lbs). I have it at 13 for the most part so it doesn't sink below 11 and the timing has to be reset. I hope it doesn't matter that it gets a bit over the recommended pressure. It will probably get easier to hold an even pressure as soon as the steam leaking pressure lock gets fixed.

parallel said:
I've been doing my first cannings, just did the liver paty which is absolutely lovely and right up there with bacon!, only 2 out of 4 made it with seals intact. Can I re-can the 2 unlucky ones tommorow? (despite having been refrigerated a night before the canning and now are going in the refrigerator for one more night)

I'm having difficulties keeping the even pressure (11 lbs). I have it at 13 for the most part so it doesn't sink below 11 and the timing has to be reset. I hope it doesn't matter that it gets a bit over the recommended pressure. It will probably get easier to hold an even pressure as soon as the steam leaking pressure lock gets fixed.

do you have an AA canner? mine is a AA canner and the first times it leaked out but now it is closed (It nedds a few times at the beginning to get sealed. that's also what is stated in the manual when you read it.) It is no problem you can let the food as long in the canner as you want it (as long as the water in it is not evaporated).

don't forget to oil the rims with olive oil or vaseline (I use Olive Oil)

parallel said:

In my manual it says "if a jar or can is not sealed, refrigerate contents and use or reprocess within 24 hours of the original processing." I think you're good to go. :)

How long would you pressure can a broth and at what pressure?

Pashalis said:
do you have an AA canner? mine is a AA canner and the first times it leaked out but now it is closed (It nedds a few times at the beginning to get sealed. that's also what is stated in the manual when you read it.) It is no problem you can let the food as long in the canner as you want it (as long as the water in it is not evaporated).

OK thanks. I've got the Presto and it didn't leak the first time in use. Forgot to grease the rims, but that's mainly for lid removal as I understand from the manual.

Hesper said:
In my manual it says "if a jar or can is not sealed, refrigerate contents and use or reprocess within 24 hours of the original processing." I think you're good to go. :)
Excellent :)

Pashalis said:
parallel said:

That is, oil the sealing areas of the canner, not the jars.

All jar rims should be checked by wiping with a vinegar dampened cloth and then run your finger around them while wet to feel if it is perfectly smooth. Any jars with imperfect sealing rims should be put away for some other use or discarded.

We very rarely have anything that doesn't seal and we try to take good care in prepping the lids and rims of the jars to ensure a good seal.

Just a quick update on the Weck jars: I canned bone broth with lots of added lard in the waterbath canner this weekend, and it worked very well. The jars are not greasy at all and all the seals are tight.

Finduilas495 said:
Just a quick update on the Weck jars: I canned bone broth with lots of added lard in the waterbath canner this weekend, and it worked very well. The jars are not greasy at all and all the seals are tight.

I canned two jars of fatty and blended bone broth yesterday also in Weck glasses for 25 minutes, should have been pressurized at 11 lbs but was more or less at the 14 mark for the most time. Ones lid jumped off despite having 4 clamps and the other has the meat of the broth almost past the seal (wouldn't trust that one to last). Don't know what made this broth so explosive, air pockets?

parallel said:
I canned two jars of fatty and blended bone broth yesterday also in Weck glasses for 25 minutes, should have been pressurized at 11 lbs but was more or less at the 14 mark for the most time. Ones lid jumped off despite having 4 clamps and the other has the meat of the broth almost past the seal (wouldn't trust that one to last). Don't know what made this broth so explosive, air pockets?

You have to let it cool down more slowly. In the pressure canner, the temperature exceeds the boiling point of water at normal pressure. When pressurized, the contents of the jar may not boil at all. But when you depressurize too quickly, the jar contents don't have enough time to cool down below the boiling point at normal pressure, causing it to boil violently. When this happens, the contents get squished out through the seal which is very bad. When I turn the heat off, I don't touch the canner until all pressure has dissipated all by itself, which can last up to 2 hours. It doesn't hurt to wait that long, and you can have more confidence that the jars are sealed well, which is important for long time storage.

Data said:
You have to let it cool down more slowly. In the pressure canner, the temperature exceeds the boiling point of water at normal pressure. When pressurized, the contents of the jar may not boil at all. But when you depressurize too quickly, the jar contents don't have enough time to cool down below the boiling point at normal pressure, causing it to boil violently. When I turn the heat off, I don't touch the canner until all pressure has dissipated all by itself, which lasts up to 2 hours.

Ok, The manual says to turn off heat and then move the canner away from the heat-plate. I just moved it carefully to the next unused plate and didn't touch anything else, 20 minuttes later I could hear the lid pop inside. Next I'll try not moving it and let pressure dissipate on the turned off plate.

parallel said:
Data said:
You have to let it cool down more slowly. In the pressure canner, the temperature exceeds the boiling point of water at normal pressure. When pressurized, the contents of the jar may not boil at all. But when you depressurize too quickly, the jar contents don't have enough time to cool down below the boiling point at normal pressure, causing it to boil violently. When I turn the heat off, I don't touch the canner until all pressure has dissipated all by itself, which lasts up to 2 hours.

Ok, The manual says to turn off heat and then move the canner away from the heat-plate. I just moved it carefully to the next unused plate and didn't touch anything else, 20 minuttes later I could hear the lid pop inside. Next I'll try not moving it and let pressure dissipate on the turned off plate.

I don't know how it works with the Presto canner but on my AA canner I don't remove the pressure weight wich holds the steam inside after I'm finished (that is also advised in the manual) with canning. I just turn the heat completely off as Data said and wait until the pressure shows 0 psi and I don't let the remaining steam out because this will cause the jars to break as it is mentioned in the manual.

when you use jars it needs to cool down as slowly as possible and you need to let the steam inside otherwise the temperature goes down to fast.

Back
Top Bottom