Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

The batch of canned bone broth I did last night turned out OK.

Filled them into used commercial jars that I had lying around just to see if these would seal again - which to my surprise they did. Only thing is my broth looks a bit funny, layered in 3 layers - not that silky smooth greyish look it had before canning. But maybe all I need to do is blend it again to get the smooth texture back. I'll open one of these bottles in a few weeks to see how the end product is.

But that is definitely a project of mine when I am back from overseas - canning more bone broth (just hope the events won't overtake me ...)

nicklebleu said:

Filled them into used commercial jars that I had lying around just to see if these would seal again - which to my surprise they did. Only thing is my broth looks a bit funny, layered in 3 layers - not that silky smooth greyish look it had before canning. But maybe all I need to do is blend it again to get the smooth texture back. I'll open one of these bottles in a few weeks to see how the end product is.

But that is definitely a project of mine when I am back from overseas - canning more bone broth (just hope the events won't overtake me ...)

You're NEVER supposed to use used commercial jars for canning! There's the possibility of them exploding! You're always supposed to use new jars and new lids every time you can!

dugdeep said:
nicklebleu said:

You're NEVER supposed to use used commercial jars for canning! There's the possibility of them exploding! You're always supposed to use new jars and new lids every time you can!

From what I've read by other canners, you do reuse the canning jars if there are no chips or cracks, especially along the rim. The sealing lids do need to be replaced every time, but the screw on lids are okay to reuse.

But, no, you don't use left over jars from foods you buy.

Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Yes, I started canning broth last year around this time. Looking at those jars now, they seem to be fine. In my more recent attempts at canning broth and soup, I noticed a lot of fat escaping through the process. My jars were coming out very oily with a lot concentrated along the lid. I am figuring it boiled over while processing. I left the recommended 1 inch headspace. After the jars cooled, I wiped them down and checked the seals and they look OK. I was just worried with the amount of fat concentrated along the rim on the outside, if that disrupted the sealing process.

We get that too. We just wash them before putting away. You have less of it if you allow the canner to cool completely before opening.
Thank you Laura, that makes me feel more confident about the safety of that batch. I probably did take them out too soon. I just did batches of cubed pork and ground beef and let those cool completely before I took them out. There was a big difference. I will do that from now on.

We also take the lids off before washing the outside of the jar and lid, get it all clean and dry, check the seal, put the lid back on and pack them in boxes.
This suprises me, I thought that half of the pressure canning purpose was getting the vacuum seal (apart from the proper heating), but apparently not. I wonder how the glass lidded jars (Wecks) without any thread will seal if cleaned after canning. I'm getting my Presto at the postoffice tomorrow, lots of learning this weekend.

Nienna Eluch said:
dugdeep said:
nicklebleu said:

From what I've read by other canners, you do reuse the canning jars if there are no chips or cracks, especially along the rim. The sealing lids do need to be replaced every time, but the screw on lids are okay to reuse.

But, no, you don't use left over jars from foods you buy.

It was a trial run - and it worked.

I don't think that exploding jars is a big problem, as this was done in a STEEL pressure canner. It would just have been messy. I don't think that I would attempt to do the same in my big aluminium AA pressure cooker. Anyway, I am not planning to do that on a regular basis, as it is too unpractical (for starters I don't buy any jarred food anyway). But I find it good to know that it works, in case I am unable to source new jars/ lids in an uncertain future.

parallel said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Yes, I started canning broth last year around this time. Looking at those jars now, they seem to be fine. In my more recent attempts at canning broth and soup, I noticed a lot of fat escaping through the process. My jars were coming out very oily with a lot concentrated along the lid. I am figuring it boiled over while processing. I left the recommended 1 inch headspace. After the jars cooled, I wiped them down and checked the seals and they look OK. I was just worried with the amount of fat concentrated along the rim on the outside, if that disrupted the sealing process.

We get that too. We just wash them before putting away. You have less of it if you allow the canner to cool completely before opening.
Thank you Laura, that makes me feel more confident about the safety of that batch. I probably did take them out too soon. I just did batches of cubed pork and ground beef and let those cool completely before I took them out. There was a big difference. I will do that from now on.

We also take the lids off before washing the outside of the jar and lid, get it all clean and dry, check the seal, put the lid back on and pack them in boxes.
This suprises me, I thought that half of the pressure canning purpose was getting the vacuum seal (apart from the proper heating), but apparently not. I wonder how the glass lidded jars (Wecks) without any thread will seal if cleaned after canning. I'm getting my Presto at the postoffice tomorrow, lots of learning this weekend.

I think what Laura was referring to was taking off and washing the metal bands that screw on around the lid. Once the lid is sealed, those bands can come off which does not disrupt the seal. When you're canning, it's advised not to screw them on tightly so that the air can escape. I have read from canning sites and blogs that some even advise not putting the band back on, because they can rust. I have been leaving mine on though after I wiped them down. I think Laura's tip to thoroughly wash and dry them is better especially in my case where an excess of fat was left along the rim of my jars.

Chrissy said:
parallel said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:

I think what Laura was referring to was taking off and washing the metal bands that screw on around the lid. Once the lid is sealed, those bands can come off which does not disrupt the seal. When you're canning, it's advised not to screw them on tightly so that the air can escape. I have read from canning sites and blogs that some even advise not putting the band back on, because they can rust. I have been leaving mine on though after I wiped them down. I think Laura's tip to thoroughly wash and dry them is better especially in my case where an excess of fat was left along the rim of my jars.

Hmmmh ... didn't think of that! Very useful advice, thanks Laura/ Chrissy!
Will have to do that with my batch of jars too.

And this might be one of the disadvantages of using commercial jars too, as you cannot wipe/ clean the space under the screw-cap. So material/ fat stuck to the underside of the lid might produce mold/ nasty bugs that might contaminate the content once it is opened.
Didn't think of that either .... :(

Want to know how I knew I didn't clean my jars well enough? I caught my chocolate lab licking them with a fury. :P

Chrissy said:
Want to know how I knew I didn't clean my jars well enough? I caught my chocolate lab licking them with a fury.

Not sure this is telling much ... labs will lick ANYTHING with a fury!

:D

Laura said:
Chrissy said:

How do you proceed, exactly? Do you first make the broth, and then pour it in jars, and then process the jars in the pressure canner? For how long do you process those? I've noticed that just pouring hot broth in a jar, and closing the lid is enough to produce the "pop" as the lids seal. But I don't know if one should still process the jars with broth in the canner for safety measures. On the other hand, if one makes the broth in a pressure canner for like 3 hours at 15 PSI, then any problematic bacteria should have been destroyed, I guess.

The canning litterature doesn't address preserving any kind of fat (except that canning butter isn't considered safe - not sure about that), so in that sense I'm still unsure how to do this.

I know e.g. The Blue Book on Canning warns against any fat coming between the lids; it won't make a proper seal, they say. But I don't see how this is a problem as long as the lids "pop" down after processing.

Aragorn said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:

How do you proceed, exactly? Do you first make the broth, and then pour it in jars, and then process the jars in the pressure canner? For how long do you process those? I've noticed that just pouring hot broth in a jar, and closing the lid is enough to produce the "pop" as the lids seal. But I don't know if one should still process the jars with broth in the canner for safety measures. On the other hand, if one makes the broth in a pressure canner for like 3 hours at 15 PSI, then any problematic bacteria should have been destroyed, I guess.

The canning litterature doesn't address preserving any kind of fat (except that canning butter isn't considered safe - not sure about that), so in that sense I'm still unsure how to do this.

I know e.g. The Blue Book on Canning warns against any fat coming between the lids; it won't make a proper seal, they say. But I don't see how this is a problem as long as the lids "pop" down after processing.

The line of reasoning probably goes as follows:
If there is fat between the jar and the lid - no matter how thin - it might create an interface between the content of the jar and the outside world, and given enough time bacteria might penetrate the lid by using this interface.

But not sure if this is a valid objection, as any meat that you cook will invariably have some fat (even very lean one).
The point probably is to make sure that the jar is only 2/3 full, so that the content doesn't bubble up to the lid.

But that is just my speculation ...

parallel said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:

The rims of the glasses need to be clean before you put them in the canner. Also the rubber seals should be sterilised - I boil them in water with vinegar before I use them. I fill the glasses with meat and fatty meat broth, make sure the rims are clean, then put the rubber seal and glass lid on, then put the metal brackets on. The glasses are a bit greasy when I take them out of the canner, since the broth contains a lot of lard and some of it does escape while in the canner, but so far they've sealed properly. I let the glasses cool down completely (overnight) before taking the brackets off, checking the seals and washing them down. If I get around to it, I might try canning some bone broth this weekend.

nicklebleu said:

The instruction book tell us to proceed at 10 PSI except if you are in high altitude.

It says that to much temp would be bad for nutrients.

My oncle who kill a pig every year for imself and help others in the village to do the same use new sealing lids for the meat, then he re-uses them ones for vegetables. That way it is not very bad if one doesn't seal well. And finally it doesn't happen often. I may add he don't use a preasure canner as it isn't used a lot arround here.

There are different types of canning jars and lids.

There are these:

jarp1lg.jpg

where you have the sealing lid which is flat and has a rubber rim on the inside. Then the screw on lid is either a ring lid or a full lid. Ours are full lids, but they work the same. When you take them out of the canner, you can take the screw lid/ring off and wash the entire jar and sealed flat lid (which you tug on to check the seal), and then after all is wiped dry, put the screw lid back.

We prefer the full lids instead of the rings because usually, when you take off the seal, you have to do it with a bottle opener and the warp that it gets means just throw it away since you cannot re-use a warped seal. So, if you do not use all the contents at once, having a screw lid to put back on so you can then put it in the fridge, is handy.

Here are jars, seals, and screw ring-type lids.

canning-jars-mason-jars.JPG

Here is another type of canning jar which, obviously, you do NOT "remove the lid to check the seal" or anything like that:

P12148173a.jpg

I like them, but they are expensive. The only thing you have to replace if you re-use them is the rubber seals which are sold separately. If you need to wash them after processing, use warm soapy water and a hand or vegetable brush.

I am so thankful that, growing up, my grandmother did a lot of canning and pickle-making because I can remember certain things about it that have helped us to get in the groove and do it with confidence even after so many years. All the girls here have taken to canning like fish to water and, as I've mentioned, will can anything in sight! If it is food, and it may be useful either to eat or trade, and we aren't eating it right this minute, they are canning it!

Both types make a very powerful seal if processed correctly.

Another image of the lid assembly we are discussing:

lidsandrings.gif

And an older type of canning jar. My grandmother had a lot of these.

Thrifty-Finds-060.jpg

Back
Top Bottom