Auld Lang Syne

Mike

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
‘Auld Lang Syne’ is another song that started to come into my mind at times starting in the late fall of 2020. So figured I’d give it a go in terms of singing it. Happy New Years!

Lyrics said:
Auld lang syne (Standard English version)

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?

Chorus: For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

for auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne.

We two have run about the hills,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

for auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne.

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

for auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne.

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o' thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

for auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne.

I had a devil of a time figuring out how I was going sing the second lines, since I couldn’t get it down at all. Then thought about using a different voice as if two friends are singing/talking to each other over a pint and remembering the auld lang syne. I was a little under weather today and so not completely happy with the overall production, but figure it is the time of year now to sing and post it.

I haven’t given up on practicing some ‘Crooning’, giving it a full try, and kept that in mind with singing this song in terms of not singing really loud.

I also remembered something today before I was about to record my version. I was listening to this version:

I had the memory of my two brothers and I, when we were very young, sitting in the back of a really large Hungarian Catholic Church listening to our grandmother and step grandfather sing in Hungarian in the church choir during mass. I remember it being the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.

So I’m remembering the auld lang syne / “old long since”/ “days gone by”/ “the good old times”/ ”for old time’s sake”/ ”the olden days” as I upload the video to youtube… that memory from youth is pretty moving.

Nice one Mike! I really love Auld Lang Syne, it's probably my favourite traditional song (I guess I have a lot of Scottish blood in me.. my Gran's from Edinburgh)..

If you want some constructive criticism: I felt like the two voices thing, and the more intense first voice, didn't really suit the song..(Ok I'm a hard taskmaster when it comes to Auld Lang Syne.. Just my opinion)... Your lower crooning voice parts were lovely though. I wanna hear more of that voice! But thanks for sharing. I think it's really cool and brave, these recordings you're doing and sharing your progress.. Keep 'em coming..

An aside - There's a really moving scene in the 1981 sci-fi film 'The Quiet Earth', from New Zealand.. I can't find it on youtube.. Everyone on Earth has instantly disappeared, due to some cosmic/electromagnetic anomaly, except (as far as we know) the 3 characters in the film.. There's a bit where they gather round a piano on NYE, in a deserted city, and sing Auld Lang Syne for a bit, before falling into silence as they each ponder what's happened... I think watching that was the moment I realised I love that song.

Happy new year!

If you want some constructive criticism: I felt like the two voices thing, and the more intense first voice, didn't really suit the song..(Ok I'm a hard taskmaster when it comes to Auld Lang Syne)... Your lower crooning voice parts were lovely though. I wanna hear more of that voice! But thanks for sharing. I think it's really cool and brave, these recordings you're doing and sharing your progress.. Keep 'em coming..
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll practice in 2022 another version with your feedback in mind to post next year!

Back
Top Bottom