Acronyms

A neutral solution is to compile a list of the acronyms and post them in a sticky post somewhere. So people can still freely use them and anyone who doesn't know can easily look them up. Personally, I find some of them quite cool and would miss them if they are always translated in full.

Thanks, Namaste.

It is 'As far as I know'.

I went into that lumber room I call a memory without a torch! ;D

I revived a custom sott acronym page I made a while back:

http://pintro.esotericglossary.com/sottfap.php

Most terms have a French translation as well.

I dunno if this issue has been settled or not, but fwiw, I thought it would be a good idea to put a list of the most commonly used acronyms on the forum guidelines page.

There's other advantages to that as well - maybe can tell who's not readin' the rules...or so I think.

Buddy said:
I dunno if this issue has been settled or not, but fwiw, I thought it would be a good idea to put a list of the most commonly used acronyms on the forum guidelines page.

Is it really that difficult to find the thread?  Ultimately, a little effort goes a long way and the guidelines page is already quite a hefty tome, considering.

There's other advantages to that as well - maybe can tell who's not readin' the rules...or so I think.

Not sure that logic follows, as such a list could easily be forgotten over time.  Additionally, the rules are important, since they allow a certain environment in which to work, but they're not really the be all/end all of this forum.  A small percentage of people do not abide by the rules and they are removed - I really see no reason to concern ourselves with 'who is reading the rules', since it eventually becomes apparent, when necessary, anyway. fwiw.

anart, I really had to give your reply some thought, because initially (and obviously) I thought that my idea would not only be a good one, but would be well received.
Now, however, I realize that it was a good example of expectation and wishful thinking - and probably better suited to a different type of forum.

I see that you are 100% correct.
At some point, I had already realized that 'a little work goes a long way'...so why in the world would I have not realized that - especially here - where the expectation of a little work is commonplace?

Thank you very much.

I see there's a new acronym/abbreviation being used on the forum. MSM. What does it stand for?

Edit: Oh don't fret, mainstream media! :whistle:

E said:
I see there's a new acronym/abbreviation being used on the forum. MSM. What does it stand for?

Edit: Oh don't fret, mainstream media! :whistle:

Hmm, I thought it was Many Slimy Megalomaniacs... ;)

I will go for a little effort. I am not an english native and the processes I went through to discover the meaning of acronyms used in this forum was quite interesting!
And if I have to come again as a newbie, I would prefer to follow the same way. Of course, it's just my personnal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom