Acronyms

ScioAgapeOmnis

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Please refer to my suggestion in this post:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6302.msg43609#msg43609

Acronyms have been brought up before a few times, and the general consensus as far as I can tell is that many non-English speakers (and English speakers that are not very familiar with internet "lingo") are just not aware of the acronyms we commonly use here, and sometimes don't even realize that it is an acronym and not just a spelling mistake or something.

One idea is whenever we use an acronym first to define it completely like lol (laughing out loud), and then use it without the definition afterwards. But most of the times an acronym is used only once per post anyway, like "fwiw" or "osit" at the end, and if we have to define it since it's the first time it is used in a post, then might as well not use the acronym and just use the long version anyway.

Not to ignore the important "opinions" thread where some have decided not to use "osit" at all.

Anyways, for our "code gurus", if you guys wish to consider the acronym highlighter to integrate into the forum, here's the code (I don't know how compatible it will be for this forum):

Edit: Actually I'm not sure if the below acronym mod is the same as the "acronym highlighter" that is used in this forum: hXXp://www.spotlessoffice.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1
When I was searching it appeared like that's what it is, but it might be just something similar.

Acronym Mod - hXXp://www.phpbb2.de/dload.php?action=file&file_id=413
Also read this - hXXp://www.phpbb2.de/ftopic42127.html

Here's a different one, I'm not exactly sure how this one works or if it is compatible etc:
hXXp://textpattern.org/mods/264/automatic-acronyms

Anyways, the above code may help, fwiw. Afaik, it could be adapted to this forum's code. If not, there may be other ways we could find to address the acronym issue, osit. Though idk how much code is involved, it could be too much time to code for too little benefit lol. :P

See that thread too:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1599

there is another easier way. use the automatic anti-profanity filter that is already built into the forum by expanding the list of words that it replaces. put all the acronyms into the list of filter-terms, with the full text as a replacement so that, eg:

fwiw is replaced by for what it's worth
bbm is replaced by big blue marble
ptb is replaced by powers that be

or be even cleverer than that, expand the acronym to the full term PLUS the acronym, it is more wordy but it keeps the style of the original post, indicating that someone is typing shorthand eg:

fwiw is replaced by fwiw (for what it's worth)
bbm is replaced by bbm (big blue marble: the earth)
ptb is replaced by ptb (powers that be: the power elite)

Excellent idea, sleepyvinny.

Why are you called sleepy vinny? You must have been somewhat awake when you thought of that!

sleepyvinny said:
there is another easier way. use the automatic anti-profanity filter that is already built into the forum by expanding the list of words that it replaces. put all the acronyms into the list of filter-terms, with the full text as a replacement so that, eg:

fwiw is replaced by for what it's worth
bbm is replaced by big blue marble
ptb is replaced by powers that be

or be even cleverer than that, expand the acronym to the full term PLUS the acronym, it is more wordy but it keeps the style of the original post, indicating that someone is typing shorthand eg:

fwiw is replaced by fwiw (for what it's worth)
bbm is replaced by bbm (big blue marble: the earth)
ptb is replaced by ptb (powers that be: the power elite)
That is very wonderfully wonderful idea. :-)

Excellent idea Sleepyvinny and it would be very useful.

Hoping that it is possible to do that.

On the other hand, perhaps something is lost through turning it into an automated process? People can learn more about clear communication through the experience of either having been confused by, or confusing others with acronyms. A little friendly 'nudge' in the right direction every now and again, might be enough. Though clear communication is important, maybe seeking to automate the process is a little too controlling, not quite in the STO (service to others) mode of learning/teaching? I may be wrong, just seems the lessons involved can be helpful along the way.

I'm not a native English speaker but am fairly comfortable with most of the commonly used acronyms here. For those that I didn't know, I could always look it up on the web. The only one that took me a while was osit since it's not commonly used elsewhere.

I thought that I had finally worked out what OSIT stood for the other day while reading these forums -- "Or So It Seems" -- but it turns out that I was wrong! Also I never knew what FWIW stood for until today.

I'm bumping the thread to get some input on this.

Should we change the anti-profanity editor to make the above suggestion made by Nomad all those months ago? This makes communication clearer. BTW I have NCI (no conscious idea..... just made that one up) what AFAIK means after all these years on this STS BBM, yes I could look it up or someone could tell me what it is. FWIW it's sort of just back there in the depths...... a mystery of sorts. OSIT

Or should the reader "seek for the acronyms" and use up a little brain muscle in the process?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Ease of communication/spoon feeding OR fuzzy communication/an effort of sorts?

Johnno said:
I'm bumping the thread to get some input on this.

Should we change the anti-profanity editor to make the above suggestion made by Nomad all those months ago? This makes communication clearer. BTW I have NCI (no conscious idea..... just made that one up) what AFAIK means after all these years on this STS BBM, yes I could look it up or someone could tell me what it is. FWIW it's sort of just back there in the depths...... a mystery of sorts. OSIT

Or should the reader "seek for the acronyms" and use up a little brain muscle in the process?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Ease of communication/spoon feeding OR fuzzy communication/an effort of sorts?

I think using our brain muscle to try to figure out acronyms from time to time, that is only in relation to the contexts that they are placed in (which are hopefully not vague contexts thanks to the writer's use of EC: external consideration), is not a bad idea, OSIT. :)

bedower said:
AFAIK

'And for all I know...'

(I think! Don't hold me to that!)

Could be : "As far as I know"

see post:http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1599.msg8495#msg8495

Johnno said:

I would say that adding those acronyms in the anti-profinaty filter could be very useful and specially for the people whose the native language is not english.

Or we could give the link for the acronyms in the forum guidelines.

my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom