A word of appreciation

Deckard said:
Sorry guys - just dont feel anything...

In my defense i grew up in socalist country with both parents atheists, plus in my home town it snows maybe once a year every 3-4 years. Indeed Xmas tree was put up in my home but only after xmas would pass - to celebrate NY. Even then I wasnt allowed to get excited about it and participate in decorations which was something I always wanted but my father would say real men dont do such things and decorating trees is for cissies.
Well, we didn't have Christmas either. It was a New Year celebration with a decorated tree and everything (and I loved decorating it, while breaking some in the process...hehe). Painfully nostalgic for someone who didn't see snow for 17 years :) (damn desert :P)

Instead of Santa there was Father Frost with his young and blond Snow Maiden. And when I was a child, I remember every time saying that this year I will wait till 24:00 to see how Father Frost put the present for me under the tree. And obviously I always fell asleep. The best present that I remember getting during this period was Rubik’s cube.

This period can be a great opportunity for a symbolic new beginning. There is a Russian superstition that the way you spend your time during New Year eve will effect your next year. So even if you won't spend it at some mad party (who want his life as a mad party all the time anyway), do something good for yourself.

I am not sure if this relevent, but...

Couple of months ago when my friend and I went to the festival in the far mountain area, there are couple of tents, shops, and such as part of the musical festival. There was a message tent where you can get a full body message for fifty bucks (USD). I never had a message before, and in desperate for one. So, I went up to one of the massage therapists and ask for a message. I was a little taken back when I saw him when he turned around: a tall big guy with long white hair and long white beard and he had on a small reading glasses, dressed in 'hippie'-style clothes. And, he said to me: "hey hey hey, how are ya doin'?" I then smiled and kindly asked for the message, and so he gave me one. A rather interesting experience, I might add.

After an hour-long message was done, I went up to my friend and she asked me: "how was it?" Then, I said, "It was rather interesting. Santa Claus gave me my first message, and I was wondering what he was doing on his vocation." And, of course, she thought I was joking.

--
EDIT:

In another news, I stumbled upon a picture which might be worth posting:

crowson.jpg

Here are some festive quotes to add to the Sottmas pie:

Robert Lynd said:
“There are some people who want to throw their arms round you just because it's Christmas, there are other people who want to strangle you just because its Christmas”
Ronald Reagan said:
“We should declare war on North Vietnam - we could pave the whole country and put parking strips on it, and still be home by Christmas”
Lloyd Kaufman said:
In our racist, sexist society, Christmas is the 8 hours when we stop killing each other and gratutious over eating is encouraged so that the starving and other people in the world can die!
Helen Keller said:
“The only real blind person at Christmas-time is he who has not Christmas in his heart.”
Merry Christmas to all!!! :)

I think it's also OK to say hi to that dude who spent time under a Mother Ship on Jan 6, what year was that again... in other news, my 1st grade daughter played Jingle Bells on bells and sang in a chorus for a musical yesterday, the 4th grade Mary almost dropped the real baby during rehearsal, yikes, but no problem yesterday.

Deckard said:
Sorry guys - just dont feel anything...

(btw grim I hate you for that :) ) brought back some terible memories.
Yoda I hate your avatar so bring it on :) I always love good snowball fight

Merry Xmass all! ho ho ho (did anyone see omnibus horror film Tales from the crypt with mass murdering Santa)
<--- I have joined the fight!

I will try to find that episode, should be a good antidote to the artificial christmas-spirit. :D

Don't worry Deckard, I got your back!

liam_snowball.gif

p.s. refresh the page to see me in action!

Joe said:
p.s. refresh the page to see me in action!
I kept refreshing the page, and you ain't movin', Joe!

Edit:

oh, never mind. You got hit three times, then you froze. You didn't move again until I open the browser after closing it. :P

Dear SOTT Team and Forum Members,

another year is over and I also want to express my gratefulness for the work you all are doing here. From my perspective, you all are like a bright light on the horizon. So thank you again, merry christmas, happy winter solstice, happy new year and please continue what you are doing. Roses for you from our garden:

[Image]

Oh my god! Truly, this thread is slowly becoming "the mother of all hijacked threads" :lol:

Name, I'm happy you managed to get through "the heat" and gained new understanding in the process! Such struggles and their positive outcomes truly bring warmth to our hearts :)

Deckard, for what is's worth, Christmass was almost always a bitter-sweet experience for me. All the tensions in my family seemed to escalate to extreme propotions during this particular time, and it became almost unbearable as I reached late puberty. Around the age of twenty I began to wholeheartedly hate Christmass and couldn't wait when it was all over - year after year. Only when I moved out of my family home and began to live on my own was I able to enjoy these holidays again.

With proper knowledge and work we can come to terms with our past, discover that long buried special spark of creativity and pure joy, and mold our life into wonderful adventure. So, all of you folks, let your dreaded x-mass skeletons breath some frosty winter air - put them at the front porch or beside the snowman, and rejoice!

Ho, ho, ho! Ultimately...

grownups.png

Merry X-mass everyone !

Name, your coming back with renewed energy gives even more inspiration to rattle bushes in incoming year!

Full of life-force Winter Solstice and Holidays to YOU, SOTT!

It is not our fault! It's cause we liked Shane's glogg!!!

0239045f.jpg

j0da said:
Oh my god! Truly, this thread is slowly becoming "the mother of all hijacked threads" :lol:
Yeah! Isn't it FUN?!

Here's my contribution:

O95C6Wwc7z_cAf6hYGBxhEa3E4_lp27b

Just joking!

I think that Winter Solstice is a great time to really pander to the inner child! Play games, have fun, play with toys, and just act like a kid. It relieves stress and makes being a responsible adult and objective observer of reality more appreciated.

To paraphrase the saying, this holiday season, play like a child, dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing and laugh like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth.

I think that Winter Solstice is a great time to really pander to the inner child! Play games, have fun, play with toys, and just act like a kid.
I wonder if this is why I like the holiday season. All the lights everywhere, so many family activities to attend, and cool crafts to make:

Here are some of my favorites:

1) A 3D snowflake:

http://saechka.ru/creativ/sam/and/001.php

2) A five-point star in one snip:

http://www.origami-resource-center.com/five-pointed-star.html

re-folding the star so that the creases going to its point are all directed outward, and the creases in between are directed inward, will give it a 3D appearance. If you cut those out of nice paper, they make great decorations.

3) A 3D = Moravian = German star

http://highhopes.com/3dstar.html

those are a bit more complicated but VERY beautiful. I cover them with glitter glue, which gives them a sparkle and extra-crispness.

And, to contribute to the thread, a few joke pictures:

santa2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom