A word of appreciation

name

Jedi Master
This is just to tell everybody here that I really appreciate what all of you have posted, written on the many threads of this forum. I appreciate this great learning resource which is the work of all of you: owners, mods, posters. I have gained many insights by reading here, by looking at linked articles, reading about your own experiences, and comparing that to what I see and experience.

A special thank you to everyone who humored my co-opting of this thread

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5761&p=9

I've taken what was said there to heart as far as I've understood it. A special thank you to Irini for the list of books which you re-posted there: I am reading Elan Golomb and have been in the process of 'spotting' myself lately.

Since it is also this time of the year, I wish all of you the best, a Merry Christmas or whatever you celebrate, and also a happy new year.

:-)

I am glad you are still here name, especially after that thread, the fact that you persisted and have courage to look your predator in the eye is surely worth a little pat on the back

as for Christmas, you can call me Grinch but I dislike it with a passion and I dislike everything it stands for.
I have to mention here I was unpleasantly surprised yesterday to see SOTT page with xmas decorations, they are very discrete yes but still it feels like my last refuge has been infected with xmas ( read consumer) spirit.
Happy winter solstice :)

Deckard said:
I am glad you are still here name, especially after that thread, the fact that you persisted and have courage to look your predator in the eye is surely worth a little pat on the back

as for Christmas, you can call me Grinch but I dislike it with a passion and I dislike everything it stands for.
I have to mention here I was unpleasantly surprised yesterday to see SOTT page with xmas decorations, they are very discrete yes but still it feels like my last refuge has been infected with xmas ( read consumer) spirit.
I think they're cute :) And I personally appreciate it, I don't feel like SOTT has been infected by consumer spirit. What a strange idea!

Deckard said:
I was unpleasantly surprised yesterday to see SOTT page with xmas decorations, they are very discrete yes but still it feels like my last refuge has been infected with xmas ( read consumer) spirit.
Ohhh - come on - seriously? I LOVE the holiday design - the snow, the ice and the bright lights. I didn't think christmas consumerism at all - I just thought, "cool!". I'm also the grinchiest grinch I know, since I don't decorate or 'celebrate' christmas - but you may have outdone even me by being 'unpleasantly surprised'.

What's the harm in a little color and light - a little snow and ice - is there not a little kid Deckard in there at all? (not to say you don't have every right in the world to be 'unpleasantly surprised')

I not only call you a Grinch, I call you a Scrooge ;)

Actually, at heart the Christmas thing in contemporary society is about calling up a remnant of the old gift culture. Sure consumer capitalism tries to put it's nose in the tent, but I think it represents a longing for a pre-commercial culture. Lots of ironies... Enjoy them! Celebrate the ironies!

Deckard said:

Personally I am excited for the holidays. I mean I know what Christmas is, religiously, capitalistically, all that. Also a time to give gifts - not because you just want to give someone a gift but because Christmas says you kinda have to. Kinda like telling people you love them on Valentine's day - it just feels weird cuz it's "expected". So it's hard to be sincere when you give someone Christmas gifts - they know you're doing it cuz it's Christmas, you know it, bleh.

So if you're smart, you'll buy things on Christmas (discount prices), then give'em to the person at a random time of the year. So instead of saying, "Yeah yeah I know it's Christmas, so here's your customary present, that I would never give you if it wasn't for Christmas" What you will actually be saying is, "Here's a giant red box with a big pretty ribbon around it. Because it's Wednesday and I <3 you k? Aww its ok I know you didn't get me anything, but just so you won't feel bad I used your credit card to get myself a huge expensive present too, right over there. I know I know, you're speechless because of how thoughtful I am! Uh.. Merry Wednesday?" :D

Ah whatever. I'm excited! It's lots of lights everywhere. And snow! Oh boy is there snow. I'm on the east coast US and we just had a major freak snow storm (actually 2 of them). Took 7 hours to get home from work that day, and had to use my snow blower for the first time, which meant learning to use it - otherwise I couldn't get in the driveway. And I'm not complaining, to the contrary, I actually had a great time. It's just so much fun standing in one spot for hours or moving 2 miles an hour because someone stopped and now their car is stuck and won't move (or your car). It's a weird feeling seeing people get out of their cars on the highway and just kinda smoke a cigarette or clean their cars. For the first time in my life I actually felt a sense of community on the road. We were all on our way home, but we were all stuck in the same situation. So we got out of our cars and actually communicated, said hello, laughed about the situation, and basically for the first time I actually felt there were other humans on the road, if that makes sense. The roads "came alive" that day. People weren't honking and screaming at one another that I could tell, but the opposite, came to each other's rescue. Provided jumper cables, pulled each other's cars, even borrowed each other's windshield squeegees, etc. I mean sure there were some really upset people, but surprisingly not as many as I would've thought.

Also I never knew how much fun it is to shovel and "blow" snow. Another great opportunity to spend quality time with family, neighbors, etc. Not everyone shares my perspective on that, but that's ok, I think perspective has a lot to do with how someone deals and feels about a situation like that. It's easy to get irritated and mad and slam on the horn and hate everything about that day, then spend the next 2 months complaining to everyone about how horrible that day was and how miserable you were. I think a lot of that misery is subjective - for most people it was just a very slow ride home and some shoveling/snow blowing and that's the gist of "the horror" of that experience. But of course they'll miss their favorite TV shows, and they don't WANT to spend 7 hours driving home, and they refuse to change their plans accordingly with the universe's plans - they see it as a violation of their day, of their life, of their "flow" (which is of course set in stone).

I'd hate to see them when the ice age hits and they get some real snow! Anyways I don't know where I was going with that. Happy holidays and hopefully a happy new year to everybody, even if you don't acknowledge the holidays.

Deckard, I've just changed my avatar a bit. NOW, if you don't like it, we sure gonna have some serious snow ball fight!

INCOOOMING! :D

Deckard said:

Marry Christmas Deckard!
26451706.jpg

^_^

This thread has been officially hijacked! No big deal. Name, it's good to read you didn't "take your ball and leave" after that thread. Many have, but for those who don't, the benefits are much greater.

Deckard, was this you as a child? :D

42.jpg

We have given up the commercial part of Christmas. We all decided that the ghosts of Christmasses past would no longer haunt us and we would take from the holiday only those things we like. We like the tree with lots of lights and ornaments; we like to decorate with lights outside the house; we like the special foods of Christmas.

So, putting that together we decided that the beginning of winter is a great time to do what the Pagans did and celebrate the rebirth of the light which follows the Winter Solstice.

A very long time ago humans recognized the winter solstice and began heralding it as a turning point -- the day that marks the return of the sun and we think that this is a worthy activity and a good reason to make merry, cheer each other up and remind ourselves that it is always darkest before the dawn.

And who knows what it might REALLY mean, to celebrate the standstill of the sun and the slow return to longer days and shorter nights in the Northern hemisphere? For all we know, there IS a cosmic energy that we participate in if we look at it the right way?

Many ancient cultures built their greatest monuments - tombs, temples, cairns and sacred observatories -- so that they aligned with the solstices and equinoxes. Stonehenge is a perfect marker of both solstices. Newgrange, a magical megalithic site in Ireland estimated to be older by centuries than Stonehenge, older than the Egyptian pyramids, was built to receive a shaft of sunlight deep into its central chamber at dawn on winter solstice. The light illuminates a stone basin below intricate carvings -- spirals, eye shapes, solar discs. Although very little is known about how Newgrange was used by its builders, marking the solstice was obviously of tremendous spiritual import to them. See: http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm

Solstice 2007 http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Solstice2007/

Heritage Ireland are proud to present a "live" webcast of the winter solstice at Newgrange.

The live stream will begin at 8.30 am on 21st and 22nd December 2007.
Maeshowe, on the Orkney Islands north of Scotland, also admits the winter solstice setting sun. It is said to be "one of the greatest architectural achievements of the prehistoric peoples of Scotland." See: http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/

Hundreds of other megalithic structures throughout Europe are oriented to the solstices and the equinoxes. Christmas was grafted onto the winter solstice some 1,600 years ago and the observance of Christmas spread across the globe. Along the way, we lost the deep connection of our celebrations to a fundamental seasonal, hemispheric and possibly even cosmic, event.

I think it is time to regain that connection.

In many cultures, customs practiced at Christmas actually go back to pre-Christian times and involve divination: the re-starting of Time and laying the template for the future.

Many Christmas Carols are also re-worked Pagan songs... for example those that refer to holly and ivy. The holly and ivy symbolized male and female, and the songs narrated their often rowdy vying for mastery in the forest or in the house.

So, the next time you find yourself in a store, getting annoyed at incessant repetitions of "the Carol of the Bells," just remember that it is a remnant of the pre-Christian winter solstice celebration in the Ukraine. The Ukrainian carol called "Shchedryk" has the same melody as the Carol of the Bells, but different words. The word "Shchedryk" means the "Generous One". It refers to the god of generosity, the Dazh Boh - the Giver God, which is the sun. And from there, it isn't hard to think of the Mother Goddess of the cosmic energy, the giver of all good things...

Winter Solstice 2007: Dec 22, 6:08 am Universal Time

Be sure to adjust for your time zone:
EST: Dec 22, 1:08 am
CST: Dec 22, 12:08 am
MST: Dec 21, 11:08 pm
PST: Dec 21, 10:08 pm

Some articles about Winter Solstice celebrations... http://www.shambhala.org/arts/fest/unconquered.html
and http://www.cassiopedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Winter_solstice - find out what you like, and do it! Tell people that you no longer celebrate Christmas in the "new" way, you are returning to the "old way"!

But most of all, remember that the character of the season is to return everything to formless chaos so that the universe itself can work with the energies and re-create itself anew... so a bit of egg-nog or a hot toddy and some good fun with people you care about is the way to go! Create a feast, hang some lights up, put up a tree just for the sheer enjoyment of it, and relax!!!

Laura said:
A very long time ago humans recognized the winter solstice and began heralding it as a turning point -- the day that marks the return of the sun and we think that this is a worthy activity and a good reason to make merry, cheer each other up and remind ourselves that it is always darkest before the dawn.

But most of all, remember that the character of the season is to return everything to formless chaos so that the universe itself can work with the energies and re-create itself anew... so a bit of egg-nog or a hot toddy and some good fun with people you care about is the way to go! Create a feast, hang some lights up, put up a tree just for the sheer enjoyment of it, and relax!!!
Laura, thank you for this. I'm one of those who don't like festive days. But your words bring a whole new meaning to Christmas and New Year.

GRiM said:
Marry Christmas Deckard!
Hey Deckard, you didn't have a hand in this by any chance, did ya? :-)

Santa faces gunfire as he flies into Rio

http://www.guardian.co.uk/brazil/story/0,,2229715,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Laura said:
Of course, the most important ingredient for creating formless chaos is the eggnog and toddies!

Joe

Sorry guys - just dont feel anything...

In my defense i grew up in socalist country with both parents atheists, plus in my home town it snows maybe once a year every 3-4 years. Indeed Xmas tree was put up in my home but only after xmas would pass - to celebrate NY. Even then I wasnt allowed to get excited about it and participate in decorations which was something I always wanted but my father would say real men dont do such things and decorating trees is for cissies.

Alas we did have santa clause and the picture grim posted is painfully accurate (btw grim I hate you for that :) ) brought back some terible memories. They would round us all up in the community center and not even all the presents in this world would convince me to sit in some strange man's lap-I always knew its just a man with fake beird and red suit, actually first year I ever saw santaclause it was actually a woman with a plastic mask. My sister had her tonsils removed at aproximately the same time and she was describing how they put her to sleep with anestetic mask. In my little brain this anestethic mask was somehow equalised with santa close mask this woman was wearing and I was in fits thinking santa close will remove my tonsils. Later on venue was changed and they had men santa clauses but still every time I had to be literally dragged to recieve my presents. Most vividly I remeber Santa Close always had stinky breath, and that he would always try so hard to restrain me that I would have bruise marks for days on my arms. As a revenge one year I managed to pull his beard almost off but the bastard pinched me while he was posing for the photo. If I manage to find these photos I will post them here as they are hilarious.
So now you can see why xmass doesnt do it for me.

To answer to Anne,I think there is still a child in me, and how (this is the grown up who has collection of sponge bob square pants figurines and regularly buys kinder egg just so he can have a toy) - its just that this child doesnt fall for xmas.
Well maybe a little- Here is my deepest secret - I have seen What a wonderfull world with James Stewart at least thousand times - and every time I do I have a lump in my throat throughout the whole movie.
I agree our decorations are discrete and cool but they still make me unpleasant. Mind you I wouldnt mind spending xmas at the chateau under SOTTS tree and enjoying Laura's xmas food. I would cook for you too - I have my xmas specialty dishes but this is just a thought guys - I am not fishing for an invitation as this year I cannot leave the island.

Yoda I hate your avatar so bring it on :) I always love good snowball fight

Sorry name for turning your thread into xmas traumas rant
Merry Xmass all! ho ho ho (did anyone see omnibus horror film Tales from the crypt with mass murdering Santa)

I've been going to Stonehenge for the Winter Solstice the past two years.

It's a really good atmosphere there, and you're able to get in amongst the actual stones themselves - something which English Heritage (the "keepers" of the site) won't normally let you do ...

Of course, it's perishing cold on Salisbury Plain at that time of the year / that time of night, and only about 200 or so (though I'm not very good at estimating numbers) come along. And you don't necessarily see the sun - that's British weather for you ...

But it's SO worth while: a strange mix of peace and excitement. It's really Christmas as it should be, imo: the birth of something new and good.

Back
Top Bottom