Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

I found this overview of Wim Hof's breathing technique the other day, and it did strike as like EE. Perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts as i haven't really looked that much into it. In the full post linked the writer goes into detail about cold therapy and some scientific studies:

And what is the Wim Hof method?

From what I have read (and I could be wrong here – happy to be corrected), the Wim Hof method involves 3 pillars:

1. Breathing

The first pillar is a breathing exercise which has been likened to controlled hyperventilation. You sit in a comfortable position insuring that you can expand your lungs without any impediments. Many folks do the exercise immediately after waking up as the stomach is basically empty.

Then you warm up by inhaling deeply. Really deeply. Drawing in breath until you feel a slight pressure inside your chest. This breath is to be held for a moment and then exhaled completely. Once all out, you should hold for a moment before repeating the process. This warm up should be repeated 15 times.

Next, you should close your eyes and do 30 power breaths. This is the “controlled hyperventilation” part, and it involves inhaling through your nose and exhaling through the mouth in short but powerful bursts. Like you are blowing up a balloon. It is recommended that you keep a steady pace and use your midriff fully.

During these 30 power breaths, you should be very mindful of your body. Try to be aware of all aspects of your body and imagine all negativity melting away.

After these power breath, draw in a slow breath – fill your lungs to their maximum capacity. Then exhale completely and hold for as long as you can, before once more inhaling. Set aside at least 5 minutes after each session to relax your body.

This breathing technique can be done daily. If at any point you feel dizziness or experience pain, stop the session, lie on your back, and breathe normally again.

I listened to the interview before seeing this and it struck me while I was listening that the warm up and power breathing that Wim Hoff guided JBP through was very similar to the breathing and breatha portions of EE. Hoff even said that people of trauma releases during/after the power breathing segment of his method similar to what peeps here have experienced with breatha.

Comparing the two using only that interview and the description that itellsya quoted: EE has a more expanded warm up that focuses on different areas of the lungs whereas Hoff's method is only the first stage of the EE warmup, and breatha has varied cadences whereas power breathing is the same throughout. The only other difference seems to be that Hoff has people hold their breathe for as long as possible at the end of the power breathing while EE does not.

Would be interested to know if anyone has any other insight into the differences and if we can use the EE breatha for better cold adaptation. Pretty sure I remember there being some peeps saying they had done this at some point, but can't remember the thread.

Would be interested to know if anyone has any other insight into the differences and if we can use the EE breatha for better cold adaptation. Pretty sure I remember there being some peeps saying they had done this at some point, but can't remember the thread.

Wim Hoff breathing is done quite regularly in the men’s group I’m in, specifically because people have found it can “bring things up” (but in my experience so can the cold.) One of the group leaders I am acquainted with actually studied under Wim Hoff, and I could make an introduction if someone were interested.

The inhale is forceful belly breathing and the exhale has no force and is a laxening of the diaphragm. This hyperoxygenates the blood. For reference, the speed of an inhale and exhale is roughly equal to the medium speed of bioenergetic breathing. After 30 to 50 rounds of this breathing one forcefully exhales everything and holds their breath for as long as possible. The lack of exhalation causes carbon dioxide to build up in the blood, increasing bicarbonate and carbonic acid and so lowering the pH. Lower pH in the blood stimulates hemoglobin to release oxygen to the tissues. After the first inhale after holding your breath, you breathe normally until you start the second round a couple of normal breaths later . My understanding is that doing several rounds of this builds up oxygen in the tissues to prolongue a dive. I have found with progressive rounds I can hold my breath for longer and longer, so I am sure there is something to that.

Wim Hoff breathing is done quite regularly in the men’s group I’m in, specifically because people have found it can “bring things up” (but in my experience so can the cold.) One of the group leaders I am acquainted with actually studied under Wim Hoff, and I could make an introduction if someone were interested.

The inhale is forceful belly breathing and the exhale has no force and is a laxening of the diaphragm. This hyperoxygenates the blood. For reference, the speed of an inhale and exhale is roughly equal to the medium speed of bioenergetic breathing. After 30 to 50 rounds of this breathing one forcefully exhales everything and holds their breath for as long as possible. The lack of exhalation causes carbon dioxide to build up in the blood, increasing bicarbonate and carbonic acid and so lowering the pH. Lower pH in the blood stimulates hemoglobin to release oxygen to the tissues. After the first inhale after holding your breath, you breathe normally until you start the second round a couple of normal breaths later . My understanding is that doing several rounds of this builds up oxygen in the tissues to prolongue a dive. I have found with progressive rounds I can hold my breath for longer and longer, so I am sure there is something to that.
I'd like to add some information I discovered after reading Wim Hof's recently published book. After 30-50 deep breathes as you described, and holding the breath as long as possible, one deeply inhales again and holds the air in, while gradually compressing the torso muscles from the waist up to the head, for 10-15 seconds, then release the air. in previous expositions I ahve heard him say to imagine disintegrating any calcification of the pineal gland, also in the book he mentions effects with the third eye. He also has slightly different breathing techniques for different effects. Off the top of my head there are techniques for endurance, athletic training, meditation,...
Also this occurs to me in regard to another post your made @whitecoast in the vaccination prep thread, regarding pH balance, and I wonder if this breathing technique AND cold water therapy, would be useful for vaccine prep?

Jordan Peterson recently tried out this 'Wim Hof breathing method'.

Thanks for sharing !
Incredible how I was able to hold my breath for longer that I could imagine I would be able to do !
Wim Hoff was very reassuring while explaining that light-headed feeling was normal and that there was no need to breath. :thup:

That reminded me that some years ago I've been given a PDF file of the cold adaptation method. It is in French but I'll share it with you if some are interested.
It may not help much for the breathing method in the technical way but if you want to try the method you can follow it week per week helping yourself with the JPB's podcast that Niall shared.
However, I would ask you to keep it for you and not to share it as this file has been given to me from someone who purchased the Win Hoff training.

I would be happy to translate the file, but I am not very good with PDF's modification. If someone has any advice, it will be welcome.

Attachments

• wim-hof.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
Hi guys! I am doing the WH breathing method and cold showers for 2 weeks now. Can hold the breath for 2-2.5 minutes with easy. I will report the progress as I will do it longer. Additionally I have CKD - on January I will have my regular blood and urine testing. So I would be able to check if there is any influence on my health.

It sounds like it's basically an extended session of 'Beatha round breathing'. With Peterson's brain-chemical imbalance and damaged substratum, I hope he takes it easy.

The thing that troubles me about promoting intensive bioenergetic breathing exclusively is that we know some people become a little (and even a lot) unstable when they overdo it. That's why we recommend that people leave it out if they find 'too much is coming up'. With EE, they can continue benefiting from the pipe breathing and, of course, the prayer/meditation.

And that's just the emotional aspect. There are also physiological effects, like hypoxia, and whatever Hof did to this guy here:

I've been practicing WHM for about six weeks now, breathing, cold showers and exposure, and I've been meditating for well over thirty years. The breathing alone seriously reduces the intensity of my arthritis pain and in combination with 3 to 5 minutes of ice cold shower basically reduces it to almost below perception. This is, in my opinion and personal experience, a double edged sword. The reduction of pain sensation (or the increase in pain tolerance and mine is quite elevated any way) has the same effects of using OTC pain killers. It allows me to forget that my joints are damaged and move about like they aren't which in the end turns out bad.

That being said remaining mindful and aware of what I'm doing and how I'm doing it is a great mitigation for that little tidbit, which is nothing less than having personal responsibility and self discipline. Boundaries must be given respect also approached with care and foresight. I've experimented with various breathing patterns and repetitions, nasal inhale with oral exhale, vice verse, all nasal and all oral, and etc. It makes a difference how we approach it and like any exercise program one must find their own "groove".

Too forceful with the belly breathing and abdominal/torso muscles can and will be strained and pulled. Making too deep exhales, or breaking rhythmic cycles can also interrupt the process. But deep body and mind relaxation and NON FORCEFUL belly breathing until lungs full with air, and most importantly to me, until I feel the tingling (especially in my chest cavity and the length of my spine which is where my pain is mostly) works like a charm.

I am also working with a PT on developing coping and mitigation strategy and exercises/stretches which also help ME greatly. I refuse to take prescription (especially opioid) pain killers so that's just part of who I am. CBD, cannabis extracts, and a host of medicinal mushrooms are also part of my daily life. I've been experimenting with changing up my diet too and actually have reduced the amount of foods I'm eating, slowly I'm getting off of sugars, and increasing pure clean water intake. I changed jobs, I get plenty of sleep now, and I changed what I am and am not willing to do.

So for me Wim Hoff has brought a lasting and very real relief from pain for certain. My breathing is even deeper than before and I can stand in ice cold water/shower, without gasping (much) for quite some time. Meditations after the breathing rounds is absolutely excellent, the chatter box shuts up a just being is allowed without prejudice. It is an excellent method of getting lefty and righty to communicate as well. While it might not be for everyone I can at least say experimentation and exploration of his method is a worthwhile exercise. As he says, FEELING IS UNDERSTANDING, but a definite word of caution, take it easy, sit or lie down, and absolutely do not force anything. Ear buds with meditation music can be helpful and I especially love the recordings of night tree frogs and insects. We're going deep into the reptile brain and directly altering (as best as possible) the automatic functions.

I've actually begun using mantra's, specifically runes and rune songs, with intention as we struggle to hold the breath (conscious intent) and automatically breath (subconscious) Trust me, you'll breath again.

I'm approaching 3:00 minute retention's now.

I hope you all are finding what you need,

A

It sounds like it's basically an extended session of 'Beatha round breathing'. With Peterson's brain-chemical imbalance and damaged substratum, I hope he takes it easy.

The thing that troubles me about promoting intensive bioenergetic breathing exclusively is that we know some people become a little (and even a lot) unstable when they overdo it. That's why we recommend that people leave it out if they find 'too much is coming up'. With EE, they can continue benefiting from the pipe breathing and, of course, the prayer/meditation.

And that's just the emotional aspect. There are also physiological effects, like hypoxia, and whatever Hof did to this guy here:

In my experience it is nothing like Beatha. Beatha is controlled round breathing, and follows a pattern of so many breathes at a certain tempo, a tempo which changes throughout the meditation, and the inhales and exhales are not forced or energetic, being part of the round breathing, except in the sense that they may follow the spoken guidance. Wim Hof breathing is static in this sense. It is always breath deeply in, and then relax the diaphragm on the exhale, not forcing an exhale. It is also done to a count, at least 30 deep breathes, and up to 50. Then on the final exhale the breathing is halted and the breath held for as long as is comfortable, followed by a deep inhale and a holding of the inhale for 10-15 seconds while progressively contracting the muscles in the torso, before relaxing the diaphragm. It is true that some people have experienced emotional affects, much as may happen with Beatha, and again it is up to those practicing to be aware, and slow or stop altogether. I can't really comment to much on the physiological effects, on one hand an excess of oxygen, followed by an excess of CO2(which aids in releasing the oxygen). I have noticed beneficial mental and emotional results from the Wim Hof breathing, as well as the cold showers which sure empty the mind of any lingering concerns and thought loops. Regarding the hypoxia you mentioned, you may want to have a look at this.

I would like to share my experience with the EE program. I started about 3.5 years ago. The first 3 times I felt such a shattering sadness at the end of the Baha breathing that the tears just started flowing. With that, the memory of a trauma that happened to me as a small child also surfaced. It was a type of vision before my inner eye about forgiving my tormentor in the present time. Another experience was also about forgiveness in connection with a person from my professional environment. This emergence of sadness showed itself more and more in the form of forgiveness not only towards others, but also in forgiving myself for how I have behaved towards others in the past. This experience moved me deeply and was something like a key experience in the process I am in.

The following weeks and months were characterized by a deep regret about my life and actions so far and the pain (yes it feels like a deep pain) to let go of the shells and processes and to perceive myself as what I am and what I am not. Peeling away the narratives to the bone to see what remains has shaken me to the core. That doesn't mean I don't still have narratives, programs, petty tyrants, predator's mind running. Oh no, certainly not. But I am more alert and sensitive to my own issues and what is at least as important, more open to rethinking my "own" thoughts and actions through outside feedback.

Over time, the EE program has become a regular part of my life and I find the program very relaxing and often fall asleep before the final meditation.
Perhaps I should do the program sitting down and not half lying on the sofa to really catch everything up to the meditation in full consciousness.

I also wonder if it has become more of a natural routine and therefore the program no longer has that intense effect on me as it did the first 3 times.
What could I do to get the best possible benefit from this, to grow internally?
Or am I thinking too performance-oriented - in the sense of: there must be a vision, a message, an insight as a result every time? Has an automatism perhaps crept in too much: "Oh it's Monday, so quickly get on the sofa and work through the EE program" and does this self-evident "working through" keeps me from not being able to open up to the possible experiences, images, inspirations? I also ask this because my wife gets images and messages every now and then. So am I not doing it well enough? (Is this now already a program with the "not good enough"?) It's not that I expect a certain result, but in comparison to the first three times and the experiences of my wife these doubts come up. I really enjoy how I relax with each run, especially after a stressful day at work, how I find myself again. And perhaps this is enough. Still, I wonder if there is something I am not seeing yet or should consider for the next run-through.

Maybe you guys can think of something to say about this.

I also wonder if it has become more of a natural routine and therefore the program no longer has that intense effect on me as it did the first 3 times.
Or am I thinking too performance-oriented - in the sense of: there must be a vision, a message, an insight as a result every time? Has an automatism perhaps crept in too much: "Oh it's Monday, so quickly get on the sofa and work through the EE program" and does this self-evident "working through" keeps me from not being able to open up to the possible experiences, images, inspirations? I also ask this because my wife gets images and messages every now and then. So am I not doing it well enough? (Is this now already a program with the "not good enough"?) It's not that I expect a certain result, but in comparison to the first three times and the experiences of my wife these doubts come up. I really enjoy how I relax with each run, especially after a stressful day at work, how I find myself again. And perhaps this is enough. Still, I wonder if there is something I am not seeing yet or should consider for the next run-through

Hello Mimmo,
Most of us are experienced similar to you have been through, especially during the Baha Breathing.
But after cleansing the Kama and Traumas from the earthly life, then you’re going up to another level now. Because you/we needed to raises our frequency vibration to higher up, so the Wave can take us to next higher density.
The one simple easy way is continue to do EE. The link explains why and how EE rising energy...
And if you keep expecting or wishes something then, that eventually hinder your process to higher paths.
And not all the visions, messages, or inspiration is beneficial, sometimes they come from the dark forces too.
I think free of all the hints from unknown source means, you are doing just right, maybe that’s means you don’t needed that kind of things at this time.

January 14, 1995

A: STO does not wishfully think.

Q: (L) Well, how does STO think? (T) Responsibly... (L)[experiencing acute pinching feeling at nape of neck] God! You guys are doing strange things to my body...

A: Helpful and balanced. Wishes are strictly STS.

Q: (L) So, acceptance of experience in the sense of just allowing things to happen and responding in a balanced and helpful way is an STO response or experience in 4th density, is that correct?

A: Close.

January 14, 1995

A: You are a 4th density candidate.

Q: (T) So, we are 4th density candidates but that doesn't necessarily mean that we will make it into 4th density, true?

A: Partly.

Q: (T) As 4th density candidates, anyone that is, when the wave comes, if they have reached the correct frequency vibration, and have raised themselves up to the point that the wave will take them, they will, at that point, move into 4th density, true?

A: Close enough

Beneficial Ancient Breathing Program “Eíriú-Eolas”

Or am I thinking too performance-oriented - in the sense of: there must be a vision, a message, an insight as a result every time? Has an automatism perhaps crept in too much: "Oh it's Monday, so quickly get on the sofa and work through the EE program" and does this self-evident "working through" keeps me from not being able to open up to the possible experiences, images, inspirations? I also ask this because my wife gets images and messages every now and then. So am I not doing it well enough? (Is this now already a program with the "not good enough"?) It's not that I expect a certain result, but in comparison to the first three times and the experiences of my wife these doubts come up. I really enjoy how I relax with each run, especially after a stressful day at work, how I find myself again. And perhaps this is enough. Still, I wonder if there is something I am not seeing yet or should consider for the next run-through.

Maybe you guys can think of something to say about this.
Hello Mimmo :-) Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will try to give you some tips from my experience and general knowledge.

There are several possibilities of feeling the positive effects of Eiriu-Eolas are starting to weaken, I will try to list them and find a possible solution to these situations:

1) The first thing that may make you feel that Eiriu-Eolas is working less well is that there are no such dramatic shifts in your mental state anymore. At the beginning of the Eiriu-Eolas practice, a person may have many unpleasant emotions and states within him and suddenly, if he starts practicing, each session can be a big leap. You feel cold and fall into hot water. In this case, even relatively lukewarm water may seem very hot.

And it is the same with Eiriu-Eolas. After practicing for a long time, this feeling changes, you can still take very big steps, but there is no such difference in experiencing it. You start from a different level, Eiriu-Eolas is still making significant changes, but metaphorically speaking, you are not as cold as you were at the beginning, so the warmer water does not feel so hot.

If this is true for you, and you have to find out for yourself, then you just have to stay practicing as you practice. You are on your way, the most dramatic changes are just done and now you are just climbing the mountain step by step.

2) What also can be a problem is to start practicing Eiriu-Eolas beyond conscious effort. It can be compared to learning to drive a car. In the beginning, when you drive a car, you are super focused on driving, you cannot talk to anyone, maybe even listening to the radio is troublesome for you. But with the time you learn to drive and it ceases to be a problem for you, you forget what you are actually doing while driving, instead, you start listening to the radio, talking to the passenger, thinking about completely different things like driving. The same can happen with the Eiriu-Eolas practice.

Of course, Eiriu-Eolas will work for you, just like you will drive a car on the street, even if you do it habitually. But there is a downside to this. If you don't focus on driving, you won't develop your driving skills. Just as you won't be focusing on practicing Eiriu-Eolas, you won't be opening up new levels of experience in practicing Eiriu-Eolas.

What you can do in this case is to pay attention to your thoughts and your level of focus. Note Laura's words in the video. Strengthen this experience, listen to the record more intensely, imagine that the voice enters you, that it lives in you. Check how you breathe, focus on being more specific about it. If you are doing Ba-Ha, expand your ideas and meanings of the word "Life", maybe try to say it in your mind in other languages. You can consider how to expand its meanings, think about all its aspects, think about life on the material and spiritual level. See what life is in terms of nature and biology, but also how it is presented in religion, philosophy. Expand that knowledge and idea and use it. The same goes for the Prayer of the Soul, try to interpret the prayer lines more deeply, try to do it in a new way that you haven't done before.

3) The last third point I would like to address also concerns the habitual use of EIriu-Eolas, but this time the remedy is more hard-core and I would recommend doing it only if "2)" fails. This way is to give up the Eiriu-Eolas practice for a month, for example. This will help you break all your practice habits and return to the program after a month as if you were getting to know it all over again, in a sense. Some habits may weaken or be eliminated, this may help you get to know Eiriu-Eolas again and enjoy the practice.

Or you can partially comply with it. Partly, I mean bypassing Ba-Ha for a month, just doing Pipe-Breathing every day and listening to the Prayer of the Soul once a week, or doing something like this that you switch your practice from the indicated and of course most desirable practice of Prayer of the Soul as meditation and relaxation, to such as reciting and reading Prayer aloud. Only for a while, of course. You just may find it easier to focus on prayer while read it cover to cover aloud, memorize it, and after, go back to the standard, normal way of practicing the PotS.

The point here is that it can be a more effective way to learn to focus, such as going to bed with the thought that now you will definitely concentrate on the max, but each time it ends the same that nothing comes of it. Of course, I am not saying here that this applies exactly to you. I just give you various examples and solutions so that you can observe what your problem is and find a solution by suggesting what I wrote or coming up with something yourself - after all, it is you and you in the future who knows what is the best for you :-)

@Kay Kim and @Luks
I am very grateful for your very good explanations and possibilities. This helps me to classify my previous thoughts in this regard. Thank you for being so to the point with your feedback. Your feedback, the excerpts from the sessions and the practical examples with the water and the car driving I can relate to very well and it helps me to have new perspectives. To approach the next run with more ease and at the same time to experience the individual steps in a more focused and conscious way. I am looking forward to that. Thank you.

After a few weeks of reading, I've finally caught up with this wonderful thread. It was quite an emotional roller coaster to read all the testimonies/journaling shared here. I've started EE more than a month ago now (the 12th of December to be more precise) and kept a journal mainly to log my experiences related to my early days of practice. I will keep journaling though since it is a good tool to reflect and give context for individual events over a long span of time.

Anyway, I thought I would give my own report on my practice of EE since it gave me so much already. Thanks everyone for making this breathing program available to all (even for free with the online version), starting with Laura of course.

Overall Benefits

EE quickly became a lifeline during these historical (hysterical?) times. I've been calmer and more relaxed overall, and I've used the Pipe Breath a couple times to relieve mild anxiety feelings. I haven't had the opportunity to use PB in order to diminish pain and help recovering from an injury, as reported by some people in this thread. However, having now this breathing method in my "mental toolbox" is definitely a huge improvement regarding potential future incidents (i.e knowledge protects).

In the beginning I've had dreams related to the Work (I was reading the 4th Way books at the time). Which is quite remarkable when contrasted with my, usually, more than mundane dreams. It might be due to EE, as the timing is right on cue.

Three-stage Breathing

Even following the procedure to breath as if one wants to put moisture on glasses (as well as all the advice related in this thread), it took me a few weeks to find the right muscles to activate. I've been quite disconnected from my body (and emotions) since childhood and it's been a slow uphill battle aver the year to learn to use specific muscle groups or perform certain movements (i.e I'm bad at sports :lol:). On top of that, I've brought my awareness/attention on specific parts of my body (as suggested by luc a few pages back) in between rounds of PB and Warrior's Breath in order to really pay attention to the state of my body. I've found the correct muscle group by trial and error until I've reached the contraction of the glottis, confirmation came from the slight vibration of my vocal chords when breathing a bit more intensely.

During my first session, I've seen two images. The first, giving the impression of looking through a dark tunnel with a bright white light at the end. I "stepped" into the light in my mind's eye, then came another image. It was a white spiraling ascending staircase with nothing else ("void"/black background). I was on it and as I looked down I couldn't see the bottom, as if I were in the middle of the ascension. As I was reading Mouravieff's Gnosis, it reminded me of the first threshold <--> staircase <--> second threshold, allegory representing the first steps of the Work.

Besides that i've also seen an "humanoïd reptilian" feminine face looking at me. Probably picked up a random frequency :lol:

Beatha

I did Beatha every day the first week then dialed down to two times a week (Monday and Thursday) when I realised that I had an elephant sitting on my chest. It took a few weeks to clear up. After that I felt a strong pressure at the top of my nose bridge (near the "third eye") all day every day for almost a month. This pressure over time developped into pushing/pulling sensation on my nose bridge. The elephant sitting on my chest "migrated" to my upper back and shoulder, stiffness ensued for a couple of weeks. This transformed into tensions in the neck on my right side and on my face. Ultimately, I found myself having my face contort itself into a slight grimace (mainly around the mouth), which put together with the pressure on my nose bridge, made me think of putting an oxigen mask (or the equivalent for sedation before operation).

So far I seem to process my past traumas and emotions in a somatic way. I've had only one emotional flooding where I cried and felt extremely lonely, completely out of the blue. I observed it and let it flow.

Initially I felt strong tingling sensations, strong vibrations (even in my teeth) and coldness during & after the Beatha exercice. It felt as if I was "phasing out" into another dimension :lol: Then I started to breath more gently and it resulted to a milder form of hyperventilation (slight tingling and vibrating sensations), which is normal initially from what I read.

Meditation/Prayer of the Soul

At first I did the meditation as advised/explained in the 29th of August Session, as I needed to build my "attention muscle". I had at times terrifying visions (demonish face looking at me, spider-like fleshy monster). Each time I observed the feeling (bone chilling terror), carried on with the prayer and it went away by itself. I had from time to time what felt like "energy work", swirling feeling around my sexual center (lower abdomen), pressure on my whole body and/or my third eye, feelings of waves coming out my solar plexus, etc. It kept me up at night as it wouldn't stop after the meditation.

I read recently Gurdjieff: Mysticism, Contemplation and Exercises (GMCE) by Joseph Azize after watching the interviews done on the MindMatters podcast (whitecoast did a fantastic summary of the book by the way). It made me think of the POTS part as a "Transformed-contemplation" exercise as described by Gurdjieff (GMCE p.6-7) :

Internal practices designed to shift the exercitant out of a habitual state, using attention and intention to coordinate and develop their three centers, i.e. their faculties of mind, feeling, and sensory awareness (including awareness of the breath), and sometimes purporting to involve other faculties; in order to assimilate, transform and coat very fine substances in the exercitant's body (what Gurdjieff calls "the sacred cosmic substances required for the coating of the highest-being-body, which sacred being-part of theirs... they call soul").

Azize comes back to the topic of controlled attention a bit further in the book, and gives us another take on the process underlying "Transformed-contemplation" (GMCE p.144) :

Ouspensky says that each of the centers is, generally, divided into two broad parts: the positive and the negative. For example, when we eat, the positive part of the instinctive center responds with pleasure if the food is good, but the negative part of that instinctive center rejects rotten food. When we hear a proposition propounded, the positive part of intellectual center may agree, and the negative part disagree.

Overlaying this division, the centers are further subdivided into higher (intellectual), middle (emotional), and mechanical (lower) parts. Controlled attention takes us into higher parts of each center. As the higher parts of centers are more closely connected, if the higher part of one center begins to operate, the higher parts of others may be more easily engaged. Ouspensky said:

"Mechanical parts [of centers] do not need attention. Emotional parts need strong interest or identification, attention without effort or intention, for attention is drawn and kept by the attracion of the object itself. And in the intellectual parts you have to control your attention.
...if one could control the intellectual parts of all centers and make them work together, that would be a way to higher centers."

This explains why the control of attention for a consciously formulated aim is basic in "Transformed-contemplation".

In that light, one can first practice the POTS meditation as described in the C's transcript linked above, therefore building their "attention muscle" (while getting their subconscious acquainted with the POTS and its meaning). Then use this attention by fully living the POTS with the three centers, thus balancing them out consciously and meaningfully. This idea is far from new as it has been suggested repeatedly in this thread, and probably elsewhere, that we could try to visualize/feel/sense the meaning of each verse (or group of verse) in a deeply personal & meaningful way.

Perhaps, the best thing to result from viewing the meditation as an exercise (i.e. with a goal/aim associated) in itself, is that it enables us to avoid (over)focusing on the underground detoxifying process. Since the later process cannot be rushed out (nor controlled as it is unconscious), having another Work related aim (a conscious one this time) associated with the practice can be a good motivator to keep doing EE (many people complained over the years to lose the motivation to do EE when they weren't aware of some detox/release happening).

Since my post is already quite long I won't get into the details of how I've fitted the POTS into a "Transformed-contemplation" exercise. It is also a quite personal/subjective, ever evolving process, which probably wont be helpful once described to others. Hope that helps though !

Back
Top Bottom