Ocular migraine issue

Another thing to consider: if you are having liver issues, and now a "signal" via the eyes, that may indicate other silent processes going on that need attention. That being the case, the best way to deal with whatever ails ya, whether you know about it or not, is autohemotherapy on a regular weekly schedule for at least a year.

I seem to be dealing with this problem and want to share on here in case anyone else is dealing with it and see if any of the resident eye people like @Lilou and @Arwenn have any tips or if @Gaby or @Keyhole can give me any other suggestions. So twice in the last few months I've had a distressing eye issue that lasts for about 30 minutes and then goes away. It doesn't arrive with any pain, but all of a sudden my eyesight gets blurry and what I can best describe as zig-zagging flashing lights, both in a central location. It happened a few months ago, and then this past Saturday when I was at work and couldn't do stop working because I was the only supervisor around it happened again and this time a headache followed it. Here's a few pics that I found googling which best show what I was seeing. It was like a combination of the two pics.

View attachment 37673

View attachment 37674

I wasn't sure if this was due to some nerve inflammation or something worse, like something pressing against my eye. But the eye doc showed me the images of my eye and while I have some minor cataract, sun damage, and signs of low triglycerides, he diagnosed it as an ocular migraine. Although I think visual migraine is more correct since this was not contained to just one eye. You can read about it here. It doesn't seem to be a particularly concerning problem. The doctor said I need to spend less time on the computer and more time looking at stuff that's farther away. He said something about for every 20 minutes on the computer, take 20 minutes looking outside. That meshes with what I read on the Lasik thread here on the forum by @flashgordonv who improved his eyesight by spending time looking on the horizon. Although my first thought is, there's so much to do that taking time away from the puter is going to be difficult.

I am going to look into purchasing a different computer monitor. Mine has a 60hz refresh rate and I can't change it, while a 120hz refresh rate is recommended for people who spend a lot of time on their computers. I also ordered a few supplements that Arwenn recommended on the Lasik thread, Eyebright and Bilberry, along with Lutein. I had been using the lowest color ranges on f.lux for a while but I actually changed it last year as I was finding it hard to see at night when it would go down into the candle range. I am going to switch back to letting the program naturally change the display colors again.

Also, I remember that @fabric had found a website that was for eye exercises or something and if that might help here I would be interested in checking it out. Dunno if there's anything else I could be doing aside from time away from the computer, looking at stuff far away, taking some supplements and getting a better monitor. I'm gonna get blood work to see about the low cholesterol/triglycerides which showed up as clear spots on the retinal image thing he took. Also doesn't help that I have hereditary issues in the family, with my Mum having cataract surgery and recently being told she has macular degeneration. Hopefully this helps anyone else who may have experienced this and didn't know just what was going on as well.

My brother Beau

I am glad that you have found some helpful tips to your problem. I agree with them neither the less. If you are exhausted with all the tried and tested methods, just consider some devine spiritual intervation , and let me know when you are ready for assistance . All the best, you'll be fine again. Is the thought that counts.

Not a bad idea. I have ordered before from Zenni, it's so much cheaper than ordering from pharmacies. But now I'm worried about the quality. The eye doctor said I should get lenses that are polycarbonate. Not sure if that is necessary or not, but I don't think there's a way to know what the lenses at Zenni are made of.
There are different materials that lenses can be made from-
1) plastic (refractive index of 1.498)
2) polycarbonate (refractive index of 1.586)
3) high index lenses (refractive index between 1.67-1.74)

The higher your prescription (either sphere or cyl) the better off you are going to either polycarbonate (at the very least) or a high index lens. This makes the lenses thinner, lighter and flatter. Also a lot of edge thickness issues with myopic corrections will depend on the size of the frame you choose- the larger or more angular (eg aviator shape) the frame, the more the edge thickness and therefore all the more need for a higher index lens. You can read a bit more about this here, (the website shows you the difference between CR-39 plastic vs high index lenses made up in the same frame).

With your Rx @Beau, I’d go for polycarbonate at the very least, although a 1.67 would be better. I think a 1.74 is overkill unless you choose really large/oversized frames.

One thing you will need that might not be on your script is "PD" (pupillary distance). Best is to get it from your opto but if they are unwilling to give it (they often don't want you buying glasses elsewhere) you can measure it yourself.
You can measure PDs yourself, but some digital lenses (anti fatigue, EyeZen, multifocals etc) require monocular PDs (distance of each pupil to center of the face). This is usually different between the eyes, it’s rare to find someone with completely symmetrical mono PDs. PDs are very important in spectacles with medium to higher Rxs as the Optical center of the lens needs to be aligned with the pupil.

You can certainly go along and discuss all your options with your optometrist and then decide if you’d like to order online. At least it’s a way of gathering some information and pricing as a starting point.

Beau, I have been seeing these for about ten+ years now. They were small at first and now are covering a good portion of eye view when they happen. I have been checked out many times for them even had them happen while I was having an optometrist appointment. No headaches when I see them, before or afterwards. I have done drops in eyes, ears, nose. Tried homeopathic from my local doctor. Stress, nope, do not allow that to happen. Blood pressure, normal, even when they are happening.

I now get them about five to ten times a year, plus or minus. I call it forth density eyes, for lack of a better term. I am almost thinking that they are caused by cosmic rays entering through the eyes because it is totally random when it happens. If I get them while driving, I pull to the side of the road until they rescind.

I am looking into some of the suggestions here because it is really disorienting as it blocks/blurs your vision for the time that they happen. Like your renditions of them. Best of luck, Haiku …

There are different materials that lenses can be made from-
1) plastic (refractive index of 1.498)
2) polycarbonate (refractive index of 1.586)
3) high index lenses (refractive index between 1.67-1.74)

I looked up my Zenni order and found out what the lenses actually are. I have 1.61 Blokz high index lenses (detailed on their site here), which make the lenses pretty thin compared to the strength of the script. Combine that with the blue blocker tech, and they should be good for working on the computer for longer periods. But it seems I still need to give myself a break every so often. Do you think these kinds of lenses on Zenni are comparable to the anti-fatigue lenses you recommended? Just curious if I can save $$ going the Zenni route instead of through the optician.

Do you think these kinds of lenses on Zenni are comparable to the anti-fatigue lenses you recommended?

Thinking about it more, I realize that the one difference is that the ones you recommend have the lower lens +diopter to lessen the impact of reading on the computer.

Thinking about it more, I realize that the one difference is that the ones you recommend have the lower lens +diopter to lessen the impact of reading on the computer.
Yes, that’s right @Beau. From what I read on their website, the Blokz lens is just one that has a blue blocking filter, but not any plus to reduce accomodative fatigue. If you’ve had the high index lens then I’d stick with the 1.67 lens over the polycarbonate.

If your ophthalmologist has done a refraction, then they maybe able to write your current Rx which you can take to local opticians for pricing. If you do decide to get your vision and refraction done with your optometrist, tell them you don’t need an ocular health assessment (ususally involves further costs) and that way you have a current Rx for ordering either through them or online.

I have scouted online sites briefly here in Australia, none do anti fatigue type lenses at a cursory glance. I think online sites are very good for single vision lenses as they’re so much cheaper, but perhaps not so good for more technical or digital lenses. The newer digital lenses minimise a lot of distortion using wavefront aberration minimisation technology. Some of our newer digital multifocal lenses now also require handedness and eye dominance as part of the measurement process to ensure maximum vision with least distortion.

I had some of these ocular migraines about 10 years ago. Very strange. First one was kind of scary.
I came to believe that some strong spices/combinations I was eating were the triggers. Many years before that I got some regular migraine headaches. Those improved with acupuncture.
Since then I have read a very interesting theory from Steven Fowkes about migraines being related to altered pH homeostasis.
Here is his answer on Quora about the cause of migraines:

What causes chronic migraines?

Steven Fowkes

, Organic chemist, consultant, nanotechnologist, biohacker.
Answered November 19, 2018

My answer will likely be quite different from the other answers. Not that they are wrong, but rather that inflammatory and allergy mechanisms are more likely triggers rather than underlying causes. And you asked about causes.
During my studies of pH homeostasis processes in the human body, I ran across Jan Johnson, who not only resolved her chronic migraines by looking at it through a pH lens, but used inflammation to abort migraines before she mitigated them. And then she went on to duplicate her results with dozens of other migraine sufferers.
The ultimate cause of migraine (and asthma) is an overly alkaline metabolic environment. At times, the severity of alkaline stress at the blood level reaches a “danger zone” that is not being properly managed by (1) blood-buffering systems and (2) kidney function. This can be observed by monitoring urine pH, and seeing that the urine goes to extremely alkaline readings just before the migraines are triggered. Then, with the onset of the migraine, the urine acidifies suddenly (5–15 minutes) from the influence of inflammation, which is a powerful acidifying influence. This danger-zone threshold is different in different people. But it tends to be consistent in each individual. At least prior to metabolic treatment.
I find this compelling for two reasons. One, it seems to be universal. Neither Jan nor I found anybody who did not observe this pattern during urine-pH testing. Two, Jan Johnson used her allergy to corn to successfully abort migraines before she figured out how to balance her dietary and metabolic acid-generating systems. She found that 1–2 popped corn kernels taken early in the prodromal stage would acidify her system via inflammation and abort the oncoming migraine. While this is interesting from the perspectives of understanding mechanisms for biohacking migraines, it had its pitfalls: if she was too late in taking the popcorn, the migraine would be intensified, not aborted.
So do not do this at home, kids.
In asking people about their known migraine triggers, alkalinizing foods and beverages were featured. Chocolate, seaweed, coffee, green drinks, green-leafy herbs, extracts and concentrates (e.g., KM), etc. Also, alkalizing systemic conditions were associated with migraine tendencies: estrogen dominance, hypothyroid symptoms (low body temperature, cold hands and feet, low pulse rate, constipation), being vegetarian or vegan, or having heavy-metal toxicity.
There was also a correlation between migraines and viral outbreaks. Several people commented that their use of BHT for treating herpes flareups also lessened migraines as it lessened flareups. The estrogen influence showed up in both conditions in women, exacerbation during the premenstrual phase of the cycle and lessening during the progesterone phase of the cycle.
It’s not likely that this will be validated by scientific study. The medical-pharmaceutical industry is based on expensive, proprietary-drug treatments for disease management, and the biohacking methods implied here are based on food, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and generic drugs (like thyroid hormone). A listing of anti-migraine (acidyfying-aerobic-catabolic) and pro-migraine (alkalinizing-anaerobic-anabolic) foods and substances can be found in The BHT Book, a free PDF download from the steve page at the Project Wellbeing web site). The book is about the treatment of lipid-enveloped viral disease, not migraine, but the underlying causes are the same.
Thanks for the question.
If you try any of this, by all means share your experiences.

I'm late chiming in. Sorry to hear you're suffering from these scintillating scotomas @Beau.

What Yupo posted regarding too much alkalinity is interesting. Just wondering if you've been taking sodium bicarbonate as some have recommended to help kill virii?

As for anti-fatigue lenses, the only problem I see is, if the root of the problem is not accommodative, then your ciliary muscle becomes lazy and you will become dependent on "a little plus" for reading. Once you start using a multifocal lens, you will likely continue to use one from here on out.

You are not really old enough to really need one! Most of my patients are average 47 y/o. for bifocals. Myself, I didn't start using a MF lens until age 51. And even then, I got a high index laser cut Nikon, wide channel lens, and it still made me woozy when I tried to wear it. I threw them in a drawer and just used a single vision lens with the minus power cut 1/2 diopter for ease on the computer around the house. Didn't care to drive in them though. When I definitely needed help at near point, i started using the MF and it took a good 2-3 weeks to not feel off in them.

I guess the best approach is to get an updated Rx and have them check the near point. There is always the rare bird that needs a bifocal early! But I doubt that is your case, you eat a clean diet and most probably don't have cataracts either. Maybe a little haze in the front and back of the lens capsule, but that is age appropriate.

Thanks @Arwenn for the info regarding handedness and eye dominance with the MF lenses. I was not aware they can hone in even better with that data! I'm left handed but right eye dominant, so I've got some crossed wires. 🤓

Thanks @Arwenn for the info regarding handedness and eye dominance with the MF lenses. I was not aware they can hone in even better with that data! I'm left handed but right eye dominant, so I've got some crossed wires.
Lol @Lilou! Yeah, the technology for newer generation digital lenses is amazing. It makes sense to tailor eyewear for how the brain is wired.

As for anti-fatigue lenses, the only problem I see is, if the root of the problem is not accommodative, then your ciliary muscle becomes lazy and you will become dependent on "a little plus" for reading. Once you start using a multifocal lens, you will likely continue to use one from here on out.
I think even if accomodation is fine, using computers or digital devices for extended periods of time is a strain, unless one can manage to take regular breaks and focus in the distance. I have had antifatigue lenses for a few years now, and find them great. They come in 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 shifts (amounts of plus towards the bottom), with 0.6 shift being the most common. It’ll be interesting to see what new technology brings in lenses, as our exposure to screens/digital devices continues to increase. I know it’s an area of much research and development.

I'll reiterate what Gaby mentioned: nicergolina which is called "Sermion." It's terrific stuff for eyes, ears, brain, etc. Another that may be more easily available is pycnogenol.
I’ve also looked into pycnogenol (which is a trademarked name for French pine bark) from Laura’s recommendation. Worth taking just because it’s such a potent anti-oxidant, and it is relatively easy to get. It also confers benefits to the eye (more pertaining to the retina & blood circulation). Listed in the article below are some of the benefits of taking pycnogenol:

Pycnogenol®
(French Maritime Pine Bark Extract)
Pinus pinaster Aiton subsp. atlantica

[Fam. Pinaceae]
Overview
French maritime pine bark extract, sold under the trade name Pycnogenol®(manufactured by Horphag Research, Geneva, Switzerland) was ranked 15th among the top-selling herbal dietary supplements in the U.S. in mainstream retail outlets (food, drug, and mass market stores) with total sales in this channel of trade exceeding $3 million in 2000 (Blumenthal, 2001). Sales in natural food store, multi-level marketing, and mail order channels are presumably much higher, but accurate statistics for aggregate sales in these markets are not available. Traditionally, North American pine bark has been used by Native American Indians to treat colds and rheumatism, and for wound healing (Moerman, 1998; Chandler et al., 1979).

Recent research suggests significant antioxidant activity for this extract, based primarily on its proanthocyanidin content. Currently, Pycnogenol® is used primarily to help prevent edema formation of the lower legs (Gulati, 1999) and capillary bleeding, especially in cases of retinopathy (Spadea and Balestrazzi, 2001). Pycnogenol® has been shown to prevent platelet aggregation in smokers (Pütter et al., 1999) and in cardiovascular patients (Wang et al., 1999). It has been used in reducing pain associated with menstrual disorders (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999) and has demonstrated improved lung function and symptom scores in asthmatics (Hosseini et al., 2001b), normalized blood pressure in mild hypertensives (Hosseini et al., 2001a), and improved symptoms in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) (Stefanescu et al., 2001).

Description
French maritime pine bark extract is made by extraction of the outer bark of Pinus pinaster Ait. subsp. atlantica. The French subspecies atlantica of P. pinaster differs from the Iberian (Spanish) and Moroccan subspecies by its resistance against salt (Saur et al., 1993) and in the profile of its phytochemical constituents (Bahrman et al., 1994).

The fresh bark is powdered and extracted with ethanol and water in patented equipment allowing an automated continuous process (Rohdewald, 2002). After purification of the raw extract, the aqueous solution of the extracted constituents is spray-dried. The resulting fine brownish powder is stable if stored in a dry, dark environment. The extract is standardized to a procyanidin content of 70 5%, primarily catechins and epicatechins.

Primary Uses
Cardiovascular
Venous insufficiency, chronic (Arcangeli, 2000; Petrassi et al., 2000; Schmidtke and Schoop, 1995; Sirnelli-Walter and Weil-Masson, 1988; Doucet et al., 1987; Schmidtke and Schoop, 1984; Feine-Haake, 1975)

Other Potential Uses
Abdominal and menstrual pain (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999)
Asthma (Hosseini et al., 2001b)
Endometriosis (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999)
Enhanced sperm quality in case of man diagnosed with malformed sperm (Roseff and Gulati, 1999)
Mild hypertension (Hosseini et al., 2001a)
Prevention of platelet aggregation (Pütter et al., 1999)
Retinal disorder, vascular (Spadea and Balestrazzi, 2001)
Retinopathy, diabetic (Magnard et al., 1970)
Systemic lupus erythematusus (SLE), second line therapy (Stefanescu et al.,2001)

Dosage
For prevention and treatment of chronic venous disorders: daily doses ranging from 100–300 mg per day were effective in controlled clinical trials (Gulati, 1999).

For prevention and treatment of retinal vascular disorders: doses from 40–150 mg have been used in clinical trials (Spadea and Balestrazzi, 2001; Magnard et al., 1970).

For treatment of endometriosis and menstrual disorders: 30–60 mg have been found to be effective (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999).

To normalize platelet function doses of 150–200 mg are needed (Pütter et al., 1999).

To normalize blood pressure 200 mg were given (Hosseini et al., 2001a).

To reduce asthma symptoms, 1 mg/lb body weight were taken (Hosseini et al.,2001b).

Duration of Administration
Clinical experience demonstrated that beneficial effects can be substantiated after 4 weeks of treatment with Pycnogenol® in cases of chronic venous disorders and retinal vascular disorders. However, results improved significantly when the treatment period was extended to 2 months (Gulati, 1999).

Blood pressure in mild hypertensive patients was normalized following treatment period of 8 weeks (Hosseini et al., 2001a).

For prevention of menstrual disorders treatment periods will vary from individual to individual; however, one study noted beneficial effects after 14–30 days (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999).

Asthma symptoms were improved after 4 weeks treatment (Hosseini et al.,2001b).

For improvement of sperm quality, treatment period was 9 months (Roseff and Gulati, 1999).

Continuous intake of Pycnogenol® as a dietary supplement can be recommended to protect the cardiovascular system from the development of atherosclerosis and thrombus formation in moderate doses from 50–100 mg. (This effect is the result of Pycnogenol®’s ability to normalize platelet aggregation and thromboxane levels, to antagonize vasoconstriction induced by adrenaline, to inactivate free radicals, and the anti-oxidative effect influencing the oxidation of lipids.)

Chemistry
Pycnogenol® is prepared from the bark of French maritime pine trees (P. pinaster) by a standardized process. The trees are cultivated as a monoculture exclusively in one narrow area in Southwest France and the bark is harvested from 30-year old trees; therefore, chemical studies indicate that there is little variation in the composition of the extract over the years.

French maritime pine bark extract contains procyanidins, catechin, epicatechin, taxifolin, phenolic acids, and glucosides or glucose esters of its constituents.

Procyanidins
The procyanidins consist of units of catechin and epicatechin. The chain length of the procyanidins in Pycnogenol® range from dimers up to octamers. The dimers had been identified as the isomeric forms B1, B3, B6, and B7. A trimer C2, consisting of catechin-epicatechin-catechin is also identified (Rohdewald, 2002). The presence of tetramers to octamers was demonstrated by mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF) (Rohdewald, 1998). The total amount of procyanidins in Pycnogenol® is standardized to 70 5%. Catechin, epicatechin, and taxifolin represent the so-called “monomeric” procyanidins. Taxifolin was found as its glycoside and in its free form (Rohdewald, 1998).

Phenolic acids
Phenolic acids, also called fruit acids, in French maritime pine bark extract are derivates from benzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid, protocatechic acid, gallic acid, vanillic acid) and from cinnamic acid (caffeic acid, ferulic acid, p-cumaric acid).

Additionally, the glucose ester of ferulic acid and p-cumaric acid were identified and the glucoside of vanillic acid (Rohdewald, 1998).

Other constituents
Free glucose is present in small amounts, rhamnose, xylose, and arabinose could be detected, but not quantified. Vanillin is also found in very small quantities (Rüve, 1996).

Pharmacological Actions
Humans
Symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency including edema of the lower legs, feeling of heaviness in the lower legs, cramps, and pain were significantly reduced (Arcangeli, 2000; Petrassi et al., 2000; Schmidtke and Schoop, 1995, 1984); vision was improved in cases of retinal vascular disorder (Spadea and Balestrazzi, 2001; Magnard et al, 1970); smoking-induced platelet aggregation was prevented (Pütter et al., 1999); in patients with cardiovascular diseases, platelet aggregation was reduced (Wang et al., 1999); mild hypertension was reduced to normal (Hosseini et al., 2001a); asthma symptoms and lung function were improved (Hosseini et al., 2001b); reduction of menstrual cramps and pain have been reported (Kohama and Suzuki, 1999); and malformation of human sperm have been normalized (Roseff and Gulati, 1999).

Animal
Increased capillary resistance (Gábor et al., 1993); anti-inflammatory (Blazsó et al., 1997); anti-hypertensive (Blaszó et al., 1996); immunomodulation (Liu et al., 1998; Cheshier et al., 1996); improvement of cognitive function (Liu et al., 1999); UV-protection (Blazsó et al., 1995); spasmolytic activity of ferulic acid on rat uterus (Ozaki and Ma, 1990).

In vitro
Radical scavenging activity (Packer et al., 1999; Rohdewald, 1998; Elstner and Kleber, 1990); protection of DNA (Nelson et al., 1998); increased production of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione (Wei et al., 1997); protection of brain cells against amyloid--protein toxicity (Rohdewald, 1998) and glutamate-induced toxicity (Kobayashi, 2000; Rohdewald, 1998); inhibition of adrenalin-induced platelet aggregation (Rüve, 1996); inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) (Blaszó et al., 1996); inhibition of adrenalin-induced vasoconstriction (Fitzpatrick et al., 1998); UV-protection (Guochang, 1993); apoptosis of human mammary cancer cells (Huynh and Teel, 2000); and spasmolytic action of constituents of Pycnogenol®, caffeic, and protocatechic acid on smooth muscles (de Urbina et al., 1990). Pycnogenol®has been shown to exhibit anticalgranulin activity in human keratinocytes (in vitro), suggesting potential use for treatment of psoriasis and various dermatoses (Rihn et al., 2001). Pycnogenol® increases human growth hormone secretion (Buz’Zard et al., 2002).

Mechanism of Action
High affinity to proteins (Packer et al., 1999) decreases capillary permeability thereby reducing microbleeding and preventing edema formation (Gabór et al., 1993).

Stimulates production of the endothelium-derived factor (nitric oxide, NO) causing vasorelaxation (Fitzpatrick et al., 1998) leading to increased microcirculation (Wang et al., 1999). Pycnogenol®, in addition to its antioxidant activity, stimulates constitutive endothelial NO synthase activity to increase NO levels, which could counteract the vasoconstrictor effects of epinephrine (E) and norepinephrine (NE) (Fitzpatrick et al., 1998). Furthermore, additional protective effects could result from the well-established properties of NO to decrease platelet aggregation and adhesion, as well as to inhibit low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol oxidation, all of which could protect against atherogenesis and thrombus formation. Pycnogenol® stimulates NO production (Fitzpatrick et al., 1998) and inhibits thromboxane formation (Watson, 1999), both effects leading to reduced platelet-aggregation (Pütter et al., 1999).

Antioxidant activity is closely related to anti-inflammatory effects (Blázso et al., 1995). [Because anti-inflammatory processes generate free radicals, the inhibition of the superoxide radical by fractions of Pycnogenol® in vitro is closely related to the anti-inflammatory activity of the same fractions in vivo. In addition to the inhibition of prostaglandins and leukotrienes (Hosseini et al., 2001b), the scavenging of free radicals is a contributing factor to an anti-inflammatory activity].

Phenolic acids possess spasmolytic activity on uterine muscles in vivo (Ozaki and Ma, 1990; de Urbina et al., 1990).

Contraindications
None known.

Pregnancy and lactation: As a general precaution, Pycnogenol® should not be taken during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Safety pharmacology demonstrated absence of mutagenic and teratogenic effects, no perinatal toxicity, and no negative effects on fertility (Rohdewald, 2002).

Adverse Effects
Gastric upset, diarrhea, constipation. To avoid these small side effects, Pycnogenol® should be taken with meals. The average frequency of minor adverse effects including headache and dizziness is 1.6%. Adverse effects are not related to dose or total duration of treatment. Data are based on documentation of reports on 2000 patients (Rohdewald, 2002).

Drug Interactions
None known.

Because of its mechanism of action of inhibiting platelet aggregation, Pycnogenol® should not be added to treatment with antiplatelet drugs; however, this interaction is theoretical and has not been demonstrated in clinical experience.

American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) Safety Rating
There is no listing for P. pinaster, Pycnogenol®, or French maritime pine bark extract in the American Herbal Products Association’s Botanical Safety Handbook (McGuffin et al., 1997), probably due to the fact that most of the herbs rated for safety in this volume are based on those herbs previously listed in the AHPA Herbs of Commerce (Foster, 1992). At that time, pine bark extract was only beginning to be marketed in the U.S.

Regulatory status
Canada: Decision pending.

France: A French maritime pine bark extract is approved as a non-prescription herbal drug for treatment of venous disorders.

Germany: Not reviewed by the German Commission E (Blumenthal et al., 1998).

Greece: Non-prescription herbal drug for treatment and prevention of chronic venous insufficiency.

Japan: Food supplement; also approved as cosmetic ingredient.

People’s Republic of China & Hong Kong: Health food.

Sweden: No pine bark extract products are presently registered in the Medical Products Agency’s (MPA) “Authorised Natural Remedies” listings (MPA, 2001).

Switzerland: Non-prescription herbal drug for treatment and prevention of chronic venous insufficiency. One purified pine bark extract product is listed in the Codex 2000/01 (Ruppanner and Schaefer, 2000).

U.K.: Food supplement. For adults only. Not to be used by children or pregnant women (FAC, 2000; Crates, 2000). (This is consistent with the labelling of other food supplements in the UK).

U.S.: Dietary supplement (USC, 1994).

Clinical Review
Fourteen clinical studies are included in the following table, “Clinical Studies on Pycnogenol® (French Maritime Pine Bark Extract).” Nine double-blind, placebo-controlled studies (DB, PC) have been conducted on a total of 244 patients. Four DB, PC studies (Arcangeli, 2000; Petrassi et al., 2000; Schmidtke and Schoop, 1995, 1984) focused on chronic venous insufficiency and confirmed results of three open studies with 255 patients in total (Sirnelli-Walter and Weil-Masson, 1988; Doucet et al., 1987; Feine-Haake, 1975). One DB, PC study conducted by Spadea and Balestrazzi (2001) confirmed preliminary findings of a previous open study (Magnard et al., 1970) on the effects of retinopathy. One PC study demonstrated complete inhibition of smoking-induced platelet aggregation (Pütter et al., 1999), and a DB, PC study with cardiovascular patients showed a significant decrease in platelet aggregation and improved microcirculation (Wang et al., 1999). A DB, PC, crossover (CO) study showed reduction of asthma symptoms and improvement of lung function (Hosseini et al., 2001b). Blood pressure of mild hypertensives was normalized in a DB, PC, CO study (Hosseini et al., 2001a). Pycnogenol® supplementation contributed to improvement of symptoms of SLE in a DB, PC pilot study (Stefanescu et al.,2001).
-http://cms.herbalgram.org/ABCGuide/ProprietaryProducts/Pycnogenol.html

I’ve also looked into pycnogenol (which is a trademarked name for French pine bark) from Laura’s recommendation. Worth taking just because it’s such a potent anti-oxidant, and it is relatively easy to get. It also confers benefits to the eye (more pertaining to the retina & blood circulation). Listed in the article below are some of the benefits of taking pycnogenol

Thanks for the info on pycnogenol and bilberry. Both are enroute from Amazon. I've started having my breakfast and coffee together per Keyhole's rec, as I would typically have coffee first and then an hour or so later eat my first meal. Also taking in the morning Mag Malate, Eyebright, Lutein, Thiamax, and Milk Thistle. Gonna add in the B vitamins as well. I'll get some AHT on my day off from work. Diet is now primarily meat with some lettuce salad and eggs thrown in, plus doing the salt water. In regards to the specs, I think I'll do what Fabric first suggested and get a lower strength script just for computer work. I'm not too sure that the issue is in the eyes at this point, so I'm going to focus on the possible deeper issue related to this. Inflammation, build the liver back up, and as Seamas suggested look into getting some acupuncture. Always wanted to try that anyway!

I still need to look at a better computer monitor, that's a task for my next day off. One additional piece of info is that after being off for 3.5 months, I went back to work July 1st and back to working night shifts. I don't think that was related to the migraine, cuz the last time this happened I wasn't working at all and was on a normal schedule, but figured it's good to know for the health helpers :) Wearing the mask at work does give me headaches, not ever day but I will get a low-level one. That seems to be related to lack of oxygen or increased carbon dioxide intake from the mask.

What Yupo posted regarding too much alkalinity is interesting. Just wondering if you've been taking sodium bicarbonate as some have recommended to help kill virii?

No sodium bicarbonate intake for me Lilou.

I had some of these ocular migraines about 10 years ago. Very strange. First one was kind of scary.
I came to believe that some strong spices/combinations I was eating were the triggers. Many years before that I got some regular migraine headaches. Those improved with acupuncture.
Since then I have read a very interesting theory from Steven Fowkes about migraines being related to altered pH homeostasis.
Here is his answer on Quora about the cause of migraines:

What causes chronic migraines?

Steven Fowkes

, Organic chemist, consultant, nanotechnologist, biohacker.
Answered November 19, 2018

My answer will likely be quite different from the other answers. Not that they are wrong, but rather that inflammatory and allergy mechanisms are more likely triggers rather than underlying causes. And you asked about causes.
During my studies of pH homeostasis processes in the human body, I ran across Jan Johnson, who not only resolved her chronic migraines by looking at it through a pH lens, but used inflammation to abort migraines before she mitigated them. And then she went on to duplicate her results with dozens of other migraine sufferers.
The ultimate cause of migraine (and asthma) is an overly alkaline metabolic environment. At times, the severity of alkaline stress at the blood level reaches a “danger zone” that is not being properly managed by (1) blood-buffering systems and (2) kidney function. This can be observed by monitoring urine pH, and seeing that the urine goes to extremely alkaline readings just before the migraines are triggered. Then, with the onset of the migraine, the urine acidifies suddenly (5–15 minutes) from the influence of inflammation, which is a powerful acidifying influence. This danger-zone threshold is different in different people. But it tends to be consistent in each individual. At least prior to metabolic treatment.
I find this compelling for two reasons. One, it seems to be universal. Neither Jan nor I found anybody who did not observe this pattern during urine-pH testing. Two, Jan Johnson used her allergy to corn to successfully abort migraines before she figured out how to balance her dietary and metabolic acid-generating systems. She found that 1–2 popped corn kernels taken early in the prodromal stage would acidify her system via inflammation and abort the oncoming migraine. While this is interesting from the perspectives of understanding mechanisms for biohacking migraines, it had its pitfalls: if she was too late in taking the popcorn, the migraine would be intensified, not aborted.
So do not do this at home, kids.
In asking people about their known migraine triggers, alkalinizing foods and beverages were featured. Chocolate, seaweed, coffee, green drinks, green-leafy herbs, extracts and concentrates (e.g., KM), etc. Also, alkalizing systemic conditions were associated with migraine tendencies: estrogen dominance, hypothyroid symptoms (low body temperature, cold hands and feet, low pulse rate, constipation), being vegetarian or vegan, or having heavy-metal toxicity.
There was also a correlation between migraines and viral outbreaks. Several people commented that their use of BHT for treating herpes flareups also lessened migraines as it lessened flareups. The estrogen influence showed up in both conditions in women, exacerbation during the premenstrual phase of the cycle and lessening during the progesterone phase of the cycle.
It’s not likely that this will be validated by scientific study. The medical-pharmaceutical industry is based on expensive, proprietary-drug treatments for disease management, and the biohacking methods implied here are based on food, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and generic drugs (like thyroid hormone). A listing of anti-migraine (acidyfying-aerobic-catabolic) and pro-migraine (alkalinizing-anaerobic-anabolic) foods and substances can be found in The BHT Book, a free PDF download from the steve page at the Project Wellbeing web site). The book is about the treatment of lipid-enveloped viral disease, not migraine, but the underlying causes are the same.
Thanks for the question.
If you try any of this, by all means share your experiences.

Sorry to hear of your headaches Beau--migraines are a B----! I don't usually have migraine pain, but I do get the sparkly eye things several times a year. For me they are annoying and more of a nuisance. No medical persons have seemed too concerned about them. It sounds like you have gotten some good advice from knowledgeable members--good luck on getting the right fix and feeling better. If I may, I am going to tag on your post here as my questions relate to one of your recommended treatments and I don't think they merit their own thread. Thanks.

Thank you Yupo for this is interesting (my bold print) post. In response to other Forum discussions regarding antiviral treatments and that being too acidic is good for cancer growth and generating inflammation, I started taking a little baking soda (1/2 t) once a day. I am asthmatic, "moderately bad" and need inhaled steroids daily, and on blood thinners (bypass surgery) and blood pressure meds. So I am wondering if I should STOP taking bicarbonate as a supplement? How do you know if your system is too acidic or alkaline? PH strips for urine tests? Does ones PH vary over the course of the day? with meals? weekly?

In addition to meat and eggs, I usually maintain a moderately low carb diet 60-80 grams a day, usually the higher carbs are from including some starchy vegs--sometimes some rice. I avoid too many oxalate-high vegs, as well as sugars, gluten, and dairy. Also, even after taking Pot/mag, salt and lots of water, I sometimes have violent leg cramps at night after heavy exercise and sweating in the heat. I wonder if PH has anything to do with cramps? Sorry for all the questions--but when I hear information and suggestions for treatments that appear contradictory I feel curious and some concern. I would appreciate any advice and information any of you may have regarding this PH stuff (and leg cramps!) THANK YOU.

Sorry to hear of your headaches Beau--migraines are a B----! I don't usually have migraine pain, but I do get the sparkly eye things several times a year. For me they are annoying and more of a nuisance. No medical persons have seemed too concerned about them. It sounds like you have gotten some good advice from knowledgeable members--good luck on getting the right fix and feeling better. If I may, I am going to tag on your post here as my questions relate to one of your recommended treatments and I don't think they merit their own thread. Thanks.

Thank you Yupo for this is interesting (my bold print) post. In response to other Forum discussions regarding antiviral treatments and that being too acidic is good for cancer growth and generating inflammation, I started taking a little baking soda (1/2 t) once a day. I am asthmatic, "moderately bad" and need inhaled steroids daily, and on blood thinners (bypass surgery) and blood pressure meds. So I am wondering if I should STOP taking bicarbonate as a supplement? How do you know if your system is too acidic or alkaline? PH strips for urine tests? Does ones PH vary over the course of the day? with meals? weekly?

In addition to meat and eggs, I usually maintain a moderately low carb diet 60-80 grams a day, usually the higher carbs are from including some starchy vegs--sometimes some rice. I avoid too many oxalate-high vegs, as well as sugars, gluten, and dairy. Also, even after taking Pot/mag, salt and lots of water, I sometimes have violent leg cramps at night after heavy exercise and sweating in the heat. I wonder if PH has anything to do with cramps? Sorry for all the questions--but when I hear information and suggestions for treatments that appear contradictory I feel curious and some concern. I would appreciate any advice and information any of you may have regarding this PH stuff (and leg cramps!) THANK YOU.
When are your leg cramps happening? Have you noticed a pattern? One leg? Both?

Back
Top Bottom