Ultra Simple Diet

After a year, I still focus on brown rice, cooked dried beans of one sort or another (chickpeas are also known as garbanzos), lightly cooked veggies, some raw veggies, chicken, fish, (including canned sardines, mackerel, etc), turkey and occasional lamb and beef.

So, we stick to the same basic foods with some additional things that have been tested and are also healthy, like buckwheat breads, kasha, millet, quinoa (there's a great taboule recipe we love!) and so on.

I do make pasta sauce occasionally for those who can eat it once in awhile, but NO peppers in anything, ever (except black pepper) because those darn things can put me in bed for days! I no longer eat ANY eggs, still no dairy - don't miss it, don't want it - though I use ghee on my veggies and buckwheat crepes and biscuits.

I make a great Dahl (dal?) out of coral lentils and we like that with brown rice. We make "creamed" turkey or chicken or ham to fold in crepes and have that with steamed veggies. I make a divine Moroccan lamb dish that I thicken the sauce with by adding pureed onions! Again, NO peppers except black pepper.

So, life can be quite pleasant when you eat only those foods that are good for you and we manage to work around the different blood types here. In fact, we only use the blood type suggestions as a general guide because everyone is different and some things D'Adamo declares are not so hard and fast.

The way I think about it is that I imagine myself in a world where the only things that exist to eat are those things which I have found I can tolerate or are anti-inflammatory. Then, with that in mind, I begin to try to create a definitive cuisine using what is "available" to me. Wheat and corn and peppers and refined sugar and certain other things do not exist in my culinary world, so I have found ways to work with what IS available. I've been pretty creative so far. Everybody sort of shows up in the kitchen when I cook, so I must not be doing too bad!

The other day I put some blackberries into a pot with a bit of water and xylitol and tapioca and made a thin pudding. Then I made a dough with buckwheat flour, oil, salt, rice milk, xylitol, and rolled little balls and dropped them in the blackberry pudding, cooked with the lid on for about 10 minutes, and made blackberry dumplings. It was a big hit!

You see, all those people who live in that "other food world" are sick and suffering and dying. More than that, their poor state of health makes them susceptible to controls and manipulations by the power elite. I don't want to live that way, in that world... I feel sorry for them and quite happy that my culinary world has interesting foods that I can create with and be healthy and improve the health of those I love.

Hi everyone,

I seize the opportunity to ask something I've been meaning to ask for some time about supplements and detoxing (please let me know if this is not the right place to post): Laura posted a very comprehensive list of supplements and diet for detoxing a while back (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=7765.msg74948#msg74948).

I (along with my husband) plan on starting a detox (we also bought the FIR blanket) and wanted to know if all these supplements listed are an absolute must when one does not suffer from any particular problem? I understand that we all have heavy metals to detox, and I'm certainly not immune, but for the moment, we don't have the budget to buy them all (especially after buying the blanket!). So, can someone offer a guideline about which ones are the most important to take in order to get rid of heavy metals/detox?

Thank you very much!

Hi Mrs Tigersoap,

Before considering buying all the supplements, maybe you could both do the Ultra mind quizz first, and then you'll have a better idea of which supplements you should take specifically according to your personal situation, and in which area your body is deficient. It sure is a lot of money and can create quite a hole in one's budget if one's buying ALL the supplements all at once (plus the blanket) :O

Thank you all for your comments. I have the idea of getting back to basics, or maybe establishing a baseline is a more accurate term, with regards to what we eat for health and then detoxing and then slowing adding back some foods while keeping the variable count lower. This with the focus of improving health and losing weight (I gained over 100 pounds after having been put on depression meds when a lot of my symptoms were actually caused by sleep apnea) back to a more reasonable level.

What you have said here helps a lot.

Thank you for answering, Carcosa!

I had done the test already (I score mostly low deficiency and several moderates) but I was confused: does that mean that by only supplementing for those moderate deficiencies (fatty acids for example) + following the detox diet as proposed by Laura + using the FIR blanket, my body gets all it needs to get rid of heavy metals ? Arent't ALA, chlorella, magnesium, etc. necessary to do so?

Thanks!

I'm curious about Laura's Ultra-Simple Meal Plan, and I am willing to learn.

I am not familiar with the Ultra-Simple diet - UltraMind, Macro Mellow transition and Blood Type A Meal Plans, yes. What is the reason for the lack of salad items, apart from cucumber, such as lettuce, radish and spring onions? Why avoid broccoli and brussel sprouts? I am asking because I am preparing to do a candida detox - after a bit more of the FIR suana work. From a compilation of notes on Candida posts on this forum, I understand that carrots are to be avoided - too much sugar - and broccoli is recommended. I notice that my list does not mention salad items.

What have I missed, any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I have recently discovered a delicious flat bread made from chickpea (garbanzo) flour. Fortunately there are numerous international grocery stores in North TX where different flours can be found inexpensively.

The bread is a bit like a flat cornbread and is really easy to make - I think it would go great with soups or for just an afternoon snack. Best of all - it does not contain any evil ingredients. Here is a copy of the basic recipe from Mark Bittman (found at
_http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E05E6D7153FF93AA25753C1A9639C8B63)

Socca (Farinata)
Time: 45 minutes

1 cup chickpea flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon, at least, ground black pepper
4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced, optional
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, optional.

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a well-seasoned or nonstick 12-inch pizza pan or cast-iron skillet in oven. Sift chickpea flour into a bowl; add salt and pepper; then slowly add 1 cup lukewarm water, whisking to eliminate lumps. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover, and let sit while oven heats, or as long as 12 hours. Batter should be about the consistency of heavy cream.
2. If using onion and rosemary, stir them into batter. Pour 2 tablespoons oil into heated pan, and swirl to cover pan evenly. Pour in batter, and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until pancake is firm and edges set. Heat broiler, and brush top of socca with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry.
3. Set socca a few inches away from broiler for a few minutes, just long enough to brown it spottily. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot, or at least warm.

annp said:
I have recently discovered a delicious flat bread made from chickpea (garbanzo) flour. Fortunately there are numerous international grocery stores in North TX where different flours can be found inexpensively.

The bread is a bit like a flat cornbread and is really easy to make - I think it would go great with soups or for just an afternoon snack. Best of all - it does not contain any evil ingredients. Here is a copy of the basic recipe from Mark Bittman (found at
_http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E05E6D7153FF93AA25753C1A9639C8B63)

Socca (Farinata)
Time: 45 minutes

1 cup chickpea flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon, at least, ground black pepper
4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced, optional
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, optional.

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a well-seasoned or nonstick 12-inch pizza pan or cast-iron skillet in oven. Sift chickpea flour into a bowl; add salt and pepper; then slowly add 1 cup lukewarm water, whisking to eliminate lumps. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover, and let sit while oven heats, or as long as 12 hours. Batter should be about the consistency of heavy cream.
2. If using onion and rosemary, stir them into batter. Pour 2 tablespoons oil into heated pan, and swirl to cover pan evenly. Pour in batter, and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until pancake is firm and edges set. Heat broiler, and brush top of socca with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry.
3. Set socca a few inches away from broiler for a few minutes, just long enough to brown it spottily. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot, or at least warm.

Could you repost this in the recipes section?

Mrs.Tigersoap said:

I had done the test already (I score mostly low deficiency and several moderates) but I was confused: does that mean that by only supplementing for those moderate deficiencies (fatty acids for example) + following the detox diet as proposed by Laura + using the FIR blanket, my body gets all it needs to get rid of heavy metals ? Arent't ALA, chlorella, magnesium, etc. necessary to do so?

Thanks!

Well I don't know if magnesium,, spiruline/chlorella and ALA + the sauna are sufficient for heavy metal detox even when one's relatively healthy :huh:
I'm sure Psyche will chime in
0003.gif

Trevrizent said:
I'm curious about Laura's Ultra-Simple Meal Plan, and I am willing to learn.

I am not familiar with the Ultra-Simple diet - UltraMind, Macro Mellow transition and Blood Type A Meal Plans, yes. What is the reason for the lack of salad items, apart from cucumber, such as lettuce, radish and spring onions? Why avoid broccoli and brussel sprouts? I am asking because I am preparing to do a candida detox - after a bit more of the FIR suana work. From a compilation of notes on Candida posts on this forum, I understand that carrots are to be avoided - too much sugar - and broccoli is recommended. I notice that my list does not mention salad items.

What have I missed, any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Everything depends on your specific physiology and issues.

Cruciferous vegetables suppress thyroid function, so if you have a thyroid issue, you want to avoid them.

Uncooked cruciferous vegetables also have a component that is difficult for individuals dealing with certain issues (Psyche will have to explain this) to digest.

On the other hand, lightly cooked cruciferous vegetables help to remove xeno-estrogens, and that's a good thing!

The Ultra-simple diet isn't the anti-candida diet. It is mainly for eliminating foods that may be causing issues, and then step by step, testing and identifying them.

Of course, if you are concerned about allergies AND candida, then you go on a version of the Ultra-simple diet that deals with both issues, AND possibly the issue of thyroid malfunction. If that is the case, and you ALSO have xeno-estrogens to deal with, you will want to take Indole-3 Carbinol to sweep the estrogens out.

So, those are some of the data points that you have to consider when designing your own diet.

Some people have very little in the way of issues and just switching over to a good, wholesome diet, eliminating the known evil things: gluten and dairy, sugar, chemicals, alcohol, etc, will be sufficient with maybe a very good multi-vitamin and mineral product.

The likelihood is, however, in our toxic world, you WILL want to do a bit of detoxing.

Thank you Laura for the explanation.

I have done the Sherry Rogers Simple detox cocktail solution, and taken/taking the supplements recommended from the Ultramind questionnaire, and I have just started FIR saunas. I am not aware of a thyroid issue, nor, as a male, of estrogen issues. Healthwise, apart from a known mucous problem with my nose, some adrenal fatigue, and fungal infections, I have very little in way of issues. I am not aware of any allergies.

I have been comparing the different meal plans to put together a weekly guide of meals that are in keeping with the Blood type A recommended portions per week.

Laura said:
Uncooked cruciferous vegetables also have a component that is difficult for individuals dealing with certain issues (Psyche will have to explain this) to digest.

Here is more info about the concerns:

_http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/07/should-we-eat-raw-crucifers.html

[...] While we recommend the inclusion of much raw food in the diet some vegetables are best eaten cooked. For example, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and kale contain chemical that block the production of thyroid hormone (known medically as goitrogens). Beet greens, spinach and chard contain oxalic acid that clocks calcium and iron absorption and irritates the mouth and intestinal tract…..Cooking destroys or neutralizes these harmful substances (as does the fermentation process). Spinach and cabbage are popular salad foods but should be eaten raw only occasionally.”[...]

Another article:

_http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/crucifers.html

[...] When raw crucifers are chewed, or when microwaved and steamed crucifers are digested by intestinal bacteria, they release substances called goitrogens that increase the need for iodine when consumed in small amounts and can damage the thyroid gland when consumed in large amounts.

These goitrogens also inhibit the transfer of iodine into mother's milk.

Steaming crucifers until they are fully cooked reduces the goitrogens to one-third the original value on average. Since release of the goitrogens from steamed crucifers depends on intestinal bacteria, however, the amount released varies from person to person.

Boiling crucifers for thirty minutes reliably destroys 90 percent of the goitrogens.

Fermentation does not neutralize the goitrogens in crucifers. When foods like sauerkraut are consumed as condiments, however, the small amount of goitrogens within them is not harmful if one's diet is adequate in iodine.

An increased dietary intake of iodine compensates for the consumption of moderate amounts of crucifers but cannot reverse the effects of large amounts of crucifers.

Paradoxically, the goitrogens found in crucifers may offer some protection against cancer. The jury is still out on whether or not this is true.[...]

So in short, who knows for sure.

Laura said:
On the other hand, lightly cooked cruciferous vegetables help to remove xeno-estrogens, and that's a good thing!

Here is some info: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12247.0

Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C)

I3C is a naturally occurring compound derived from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage that actively promotes the breakdown of estrogen to the beneficial metabolite, 2-OH. However, modern diets are often deficient in these vegetables. I3C is protective to estrogen-sensitive tissues and may be beneficial to those with health issues related to estrogen dominance.

Not only does I3C promote healthier estrogen metabolism, but it may also act as a “weak” or anti-estrogen. Through competitive inhibition, I3C has been shown to prevent the receptor binding of “stronger,” more stimulating estrogens. Other mechanisms relating to I3C’s influence on tissue health involve modulating ER activity, detoxifying xenoestrogens (Psyche: like estrogens from plastics and pesticides), modulating cell cycle regulation, and preventing the adhesion, migration, and invasion of cancer cell lines.

So I3C from cruciferous veggies have been shown to act as a catalyst to decrease the body's load of "bad" estrogens.

Carcosa said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:

Thanks!

Well I don't know if magnesium,, spiruline/chlorella and ALA + the sauna are sufficient for heavy metal detox even when one's relatively healthy :huh:
I'm sure Psyche will chime in[/img]

Yeah, there are specific detox supplements, other supplements for specific imbalances or problems, but there is also basic supplementation needed: at least a good multivitamin/multimineral, magnesium, multienzymes, probiotics, Omega 3s, B complex and vitamin C (on top of the multivitamin). When you're having detox symptoms, an extra of Vitamin C (what your body can handle without laxative effects) comes always handy.

Glutathione is needed for detox, but its absorption as a supplement is questionable, whereas Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) has been shown to reliably increase your gluthatione levels at a cellular level. Alpha lipoic acid is also an excellent chelator, so one can consider ALA as part of the basic supplementation, it also recycles vitamin C and E and has other benefits.

The questionnaires/quizzes provide a guide, although everybody is different, so sometimes its tricky to synthesize the supplements.

Back
Top Bottom